Thread: vertical jump?

baker1989 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) baker1989 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) baker1989 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) baker1989 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) baker1989 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) baker1989 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) baker1989 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) baker1989 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) baker1989 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) baker1989 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) baker1989 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

vertical jump?

hey guys. i play basketball for my church and i noticed i have been hitting legs every week, once a week. for the past 2months and havent really noticed any improvements on my vertical. my queston is, what leg workout can i do that will make me jump higher....?

JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    How much has your squat improved in those 2 months?

A solid upper/lower split with plenty of work for your glutes/hams/low back would be a great place to start

adam131313 will become famous soon enough. (+50) adam131313 will become famous soon enough. (+50) adam131313 will become famous soon enough. (+50) adam131313 will become famous soon enough. (+50) adam131313 will become famous soon enough. (+50) adam131313 will become famous soon enough. (+50) adam131313 will become famous soon enough. (+50) adam131313 will become famous soon enough. (+50) adam131313 will become famous soon enough. (+50) adam131313 will become famous soon enough. (+50) adam131313 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by JSNeves View Post
    How much has your squat improved in those 2 months?

A solid upper/lower split with plenty of work for your glutes/hams/low back would be a great place to start
    The quads are more important than the hamstrings and glutes for increasing vertical jump.

Use exercises such as box jumps, death jumps, ATG squats, front squats. They will help

ECfromHTX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ECfromHTX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ECfromHTX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ECfromHTX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ECfromHTX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ECfromHTX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ECfromHTX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ECfromHTX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ECfromHTX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ECfromHTX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ECfromHTX is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    ^I think calfs would also play a pretty significant role. I'd also try to focus on those explosive workouts. Yeah you can do a bunch of squats to work your legs but I think steadily trying to improve your box jumps would be more beneficial.

DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Regular squats Improved my vertical jump, but for best results you will need to incorporate plyometric exercises in your workout.

JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by adam131313 View Post
    The quads are more important than the hamstrings and glutes for increasing vertical jump.

Use exercises such as box jumps, death jumps, ATG squats, front squats. They will help
    *face palm* not this crap again

Find me one study or one reputable strength coach who thinks quads are the prime mover in jumping

And sure plyometrics can help but they are only going to help you use the strength you currently posess, you will soon be limited by your low maximal strength cieling. The easiest way for someone who isn't trained level to improve power output is increas strength
    In a study comparing two groups of vertical jump tests, one group better than the other, it was found that the group that jumped higher used their hips, not their knees to provide the majority of force in the movement. I need to dig up the actual study

Registered User christianecoach's Avatar
    christianecoach is not very well liked. (-100) christianecoach is not very well liked. (-100) christianecoach is not very well liked. (-100) christianecoach is not very well liked. (-100) christianecoach is not very well liked. (-100) christianecoach is not very well liked. (-100) christianecoach is not very well liked. (-100) christianecoach is not very well liked. (-100) christianecoach is not very well liked. (-100) christianecoach is not very well liked. (-100) christianecoach is not very well liked. (-100)
    Hi,

Plyometric training is essential. These exercises to make you jump higher will help increase your muscle speed which is critical for gaining inches.

But there is a right and a wrong way to perform "plyos". Most people do it the wrong way and don't see results for months... let alone 2 weeks or less.

What's the RIGHT way? You need to do each and every rep as if your life depends on it. If you slack you won't see results.

But how can you possibly maintain 100% effort for the 20-50 repetitions per set most programs have you do? You can't-that's why most player fail.

It's not that they aren't willing to work hard... it's that it's simply impossible to go all out for large amounts of repetitions. The key is doing LESS reps and putting 100% into each of them.

Why is it so important to go ALL OUT? Because the vertical leap is a FAST and EXPLOSIVE motion-and the only way to improve it is to have your sets be fast and explosive as well.

High repetition sets make you feel like you are accomplishing something because they take a long time but they are a waste of time.

Don't forget about weight lifting. Most people seriously underestimate the role of strength in leaping ability... but it's every bit as important as having fast contracting muscles.

What are the 3 best strength training workouts?

Squats... deadlifts... ... and bench presses. These are probably the 3 best workouts on the planet-and even if you can't perform 1 or 2 of them just find a close variation of it.

The most important part is that you pick 3 weightlifting exercises to make you jump higher and focus on those. This is how to get results in 2 weeks or less.

A good article that talks about having a good strength base:

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/...aljumpfaq.html

Justfapping is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justfapping is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justfapping is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justfapping is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justfapping is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justfapping is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justfapping is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justfapping is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justfapping is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justfapping is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justfapping is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    For a vertical jump you need more power. Power=strength x speed. Increasing strength alone will improve it slightly, but for optimal results you need to improve the speed, as mentioned above explosive exercises and plyometrics will help a huge amount. Periodisation techniques might help you in the long term too, like strength training for one month, then lower the weight and focus on exploding up as quickly as possible the next month. You need to recruit those fast-twitch muscle fibres faster bro!

DK91 is just really nice. (+1000) DK91 is just really nice. (+1000) DK91 is just really nice. (+1000) DK91 is just really nice. (+1000) DK91 is just really nice. (+1000) DK91 is just really nice. (+1000) DK91 is just really nice. (+1000) DK91 is just really nice. (+1000) DK91 is just really nice. (+1000) DK91 is just really nice. (+1000) DK91 is just really nice. (+1000)
    It's not the best way, but squats helped my vert a decent amount. In 3 months I went up about 80 lbs. in my squats while increasing my vert at least 2 inches. I played almost no basketball and didn't do cardio or HIIT either. I think pushing up faster is better if you want to help increase vert with squats.

coolwavy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coolwavy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coolwavy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coolwavy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coolwavy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coolwavy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    forget plyometrics. do power cleans and power snatches. (and squats as an assistance exercise for the cleans and snatches)