Under Construction . . . Johneffer's Avatar
    Johneffer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Johneffer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Johneffer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Johneffer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Johneffer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Johneffer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Johneffer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Johneffer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Johneffer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Johneffer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Johneffer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Sumo deadlifting Versus Conventional

Sumo deadlifting versus conventional, your opinion?
    for sumo, shins inside rings, butt out, chest out and head to the ceiling.
    I am a tall person, and the advice i was given was that I should be doing Sumo instead of conventional and I am honestly not sure why
    Instagram: @Johneffer
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Johnefferlol2/videos
    Bench: 405 sets of 6, 315 for 20
    Squat: 495 for 6 sets of 12, 675x1
    Deadlift: 685
    Teen Nationals Overall Champion 2017

CreMKA is on a distinguished road. (+10) CreMKA is on a distinguished road. (+10) CreMKA is on a distinguished road. (+10) CreMKA is on a distinguished road. (+10) CreMKA is on a distinguished road. (+10) CreMKA is on a distinguished road. (+10) CreMKA is on a distinguished road. (+10) CreMKA is on a distinguished road. (+10) CreMKA is on a distinguished road. (+10) CreMKA is on a distinguished road. (+10) CreMKA is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Johneffer View Post
    I am a tall person, and the advice i was given was that I should be doing Sumo instead of conventional and I am honestly not sure why
    I believe it's because people with longer arms would have a shorter ROM when pulling sumo and it feels more natural to them then conventional. Personally I've done both and I pull more with conventional, but then again I'm a manlet. Try both and see what suits you better.

jesteraq has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesteraq has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesteraq has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesteraq has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesteraq has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesteraq has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesteraq has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesteraq has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesteraq has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesteraq has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesteraq has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    It's not only about height, it's arm and torso length. If you have long arms and short to average torso, you're more suited for conventional. If you have short arms and an average to long torso you're more suited for sumo.

comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You can thank me now or later.

Originally Posted by Dominik View Post
    This might be of interest to you: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...1#post16076531

1. Secure a tape measure to the wall with the zero end at the floor. Make sure the metric side (centimeters) is what you are using.

2. Stand with your back against the wall. Measure from the top of your shoulder to the floor. This will give you your total body measurement.

3. With a straight arm and your hand in a fist, measure from the top of your shoulder to the middle of your fist. This is your total arm length.

4. Raise your thigh to determine where your thigh rotates into your pelvis. Once located, lower your leg to the floor and measure from the top of the shoulder to this point. This is your trunk length. Also, subtract this measurement from your total body measurement to give you your lower body length.

Record these measurements and perform the following calculations:

1. Divide "trunk length" by "arm length".
    2. Divide "trunk length" by "lower body length".

The resultant numbers will tell you the following:

1. Arm to trunk length ratio. Example: If your truk is 50 cm and your armi is 65 cm, divide 65 into 50=0.77. This indicates that your trunk is 77% of your arm length or that your arm is 23% longer than your trunk.

2. Trunk to lower body length ratio.

These numbers will help you determine which method, conventional or sumo, will allow you to lift the most weight by biomechanical standards.

CONVENTIONAL
    If your trunk to arm ratio is less than 0.82 and your trunk to lower body length is less than 0.55, you should consider the conventional style. With your arms longer than your trunk, you'll finish the pull with the bar below your hip joint. This finishing position indicates that the initial starting position of your trunk (trunk angle) will be larger (more upright). This would indicate more activity from the quads as well as the hamstrings and glutes. A more upright trunk angle will also create a larger knee angle at the starting position, making the shift of the shoulders, knee, and hip more uniform-that is, they rotate in a biomechanically correct sequence.

SUMO
    If your ratios are larger than 0.82 and 0.55, the initial starting angle of your trunk would be smaller (more inclined) and will therefore position you in a biomechanically inefficient position. With your trunk more inclined, the activity of your trunk and hip extension muscles will have to follow a different, more inefficient pattern. This will basically result in increased activity from your hamstrings and glutes and decreased activity from the quads. This will also increase stress on your erectors and particularly the lower back and could cause rounding of your upper back. The solution would be sumo.

_Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Give both a shot and see which one is more comfortable to you. I have more fun and feel better pulling sumo, but I pull bigger weights conventional. Go figure.
    Best Meet Lifts:
    SQ: 460 (sleeves)
    BP: 350
    DL: 510
    Total: 1300 (242 wrapped)

"I refuse to tip-toe through life, only to arrive safely at death"

www.animalpak.com

Johneffer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Johneffer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Johneffer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Johneffer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Johneffer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Johneffer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Johneffer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Johneffer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Johneffer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Johneffer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Johneffer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by _Aggression_ View Post
    Give both a shot and see which one is more comfortable to you. I have more fun and feel better pulling sumo, but I pull bigger weights conventional. Go figure.
    i pull bigger sumo, i think my conventional form might be a little shakey though.

_Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i pull bigger sumo, i think my conventional form might be a little shakey though.
    In a powerlifting sense, train both. Working one way helps the other, and vice versa. For pure muscle building purposes, I would think conventional hits more back muscles.
    Best Meet Lifts:

www.animalpak.com

In a powerlifting sense, train both. Working one way helps the other, and vice versa. For pure muscle building purposes, I would think conventional hits more back muscles.
    i can see that, cuz your legs are more spread apart in Sumo? check my form. I'll DM u a video

Registered User JuggernautGeoff's Avatar
    JuggernautGeoff is a name known to all. (+5000) JuggernautGeoff is a name known to all. (+5000) JuggernautGeoff is a name known to all. (+5000) JuggernautGeoff is a name known to all. (+5000) JuggernautGeoff is a name known to all. (+5000) JuggernautGeoff is a name known to all. (+5000) JuggernautGeoff is a name known to all. (+5000) JuggernautGeoff is a name known to all. (+5000) JuggernautGeoff is a name known to all. (+5000) JuggernautGeoff is a name known to all. (+5000) JuggernautGeoff is a name known to all. (+5000)
    this. i train both, i cant do do sumo too often as i find it hard on my groin. i cant think of any bb that do sumo, hips arent really a muscle group that concerns bodybuilders
    sub to my youtube for more videos of me lifting heavy things : www.youtube.com/user/civilizedmurderer

best lifts(kg):
    back squat 250, front 200
    clean 179 pw clean 165
    snatch 140 pw snatch 122.5
    c&J 179 pw c&j 160

push press 155 strict press 120
    bench 175

best comp total 316

DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    [QUOT =_Aggression_;1029825063]In a powerlifting sense, train both. Working one way helps the other, and vice versa. For pure muscle building purposes, I would think conventional hits more back muscles.[/QUOTE]

Only sumo has carry over to conventional, just like wider a squat stance will have carry over to a more narrow stance.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LfuJ...e_gdata_player
    Last edited by DrunkonMilk; 02-22-2013 at 10:26 AM.

Wall Just got 10ft Higher Mitch666's Avatar
    Mitch666 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mitch666 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mitch666 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mitch666 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mitch666 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mitch666 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mitch666 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mitch666 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mitch666 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mitch666 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mitch666 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Kinda the opposite OP. Sumo tends to be used by guys who are big squatters/benchers and have short arms because getting into position for conventional is harder for them. So arm length to height ratio matters alot. Sumo is all in your hips where conventional is more back/hamstrings.
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
    � Hunter S. Thompson

Live fast, die young, and leave a jacked and tan corpse.

Best lifts

Squat- 500
    Bench-390
    Deadlift-635

Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000)
    ^this is all a bunch of bull**** up here.

Try both and stick with which ever one you like more.

mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I pull more sumo but mostly pull conventional due to it hitting the posterior chain better especially since that is a weak area for most people.

I do pull sumo regularly after my back starts getting tired on conventional.

I have heard people fall into 2 categories mostly: 1 long legs and arms with short torso or 2 long torso and short legs and arms

1 is better for conventional and 2 is better for sumo

SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000)
    conventional: possibly safest method of deadlifting when done correctly. most posterior chain activation. only method allowed in most powerlifting federations

sumo: much more quad activation. distance to lockout is shortened. hip/groin injuries are much more prominent. not as much back activation
    Master total
    S: 585
    B: 370
    D: 605

Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by SamSix View Post
    conventional: only method allowed in most powerlifting federations
    w0t

royalz19 will become famous soon enough. (+50) royalz19 will become famous soon enough. (+50) royalz19 will become famous soon enough. (+50) royalz19 will become famous soon enough. (+50) royalz19 will become famous soon enough. (+50) royalz19 will become famous soon enough. (+50) royalz19 will become famous soon enough. (+50) royalz19 will become famous soon enough. (+50) royalz19 will become famous soon enough. (+50) royalz19 will become famous soon enough. (+50) royalz19 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I want to do the sumo.. but I suck at it! LOL
    Currently on a cut.
    Starting Weight: 180
    Goal 9-10%

Best Lifts Last updated: 02/10/13

Bench: 235 1x1 *while cutting
    Deadlift: 335 1x1 *while cutting
    Squat: 265 1x2
    Military Press: 135 1x3
    Barbell Row: 205 1x5

Follow me on twitter @kevinmkoehler

mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    conventional: possibly safest method of deadlifting when done correctly. most posterior chain activation. only method allowed in most powerlifting federations

sumo: much more quad activation. distance to lockout is shortened. hip/groin injuries are much more prominent. not as much back activation
    Since when is sumo not allowed? One isnt easier than the other. Most people pull whatever they can pull most with plain and simple.

JuggernautGeoff is a name known to all. (+5000) JuggernautGeoff is a name known to all. (+5000) JuggernautGeoff is a name known to all. (+5000) JuggernautGeoff is a name known to all. (+5000) JuggernautGeoff is a name known to all. (+5000) JuggernautGeoff is a name known to all. (+5000) JuggernautGeoff is a name known to all. (+5000) JuggernautGeoff is a name known to all. (+5000) JuggernautGeoff is a name known to all. (+5000) JuggernautGeoff is a name known to all. (+5000) JuggernautGeoff is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Jericoe View Post
    w0t
    strong this, i am beyond confused
    sub to my youtube for more videos of me lifting heavy things : www.youtube.com/user/civilizedmurderer

best lifts(kg):
    clean 179 pw clean 165
    c&J 179 pw c&j 160

bench 175

best comp total 316

Originally Posted by mcmoon View Post
    Since when is sumo not allowed? One isnt easier than the other. Most people pull whatever they can pull most with plain and simple.
    I'm not heavily versed in the many PL federations, but I don't know any that actually forbid sumo. If what you say is true, SamSix, I'd like to see a list of feds that do not allow sumo.
    Best Meet Lifts:

www.animalpak.com

I'm not heavily versed in the many PL federations, but I don't know any that actually forbid sumo. If what you say is true, SamSix, I'd like to see a list of feds that do not allow sumo.
    it isnt allowed in some strongman stuff but that is because it is a car deadlift not a true PL deadlift. i cannot think of any instance where it is not allowed in PL'ing

best lifts(kg):
    clean 179 pw clean 165
    c&J 179 pw c&j 160

bench 175

best comp total 316