kdavid3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

HELP! Torn chest muscle in China! No reliable doctors here!

Seven months ago while weight-lifting I felt a tear in my left pectoral muscle in the area near my arm pit. The tear moved from bottom to top, vertically, as I was doing a bicep curl. I’d rate the pain of the tear as a 3-4 on a scale of 1 – 10, with 10 being life-threatingly unbearable.

There was no bruising, dimpling, loss of strength or severe pain. I finished my work out and stretch with no difficulty. I continue to have full functionality.

I visited a sports medicine doctor who said this is just a tear and can only heal on its own. However, it’s been seven (!!!!!!) months and I’m still experiencing discomfort in the area, as well as mild pain once to twice a day (< 2 on the pain scale).

I haven’t exercised at all this whole time. Taking this much time off is killing me and I’m eager to get back in the gym.

Perhaps its a bad analogy, but Justin Smith (SF 49ers) and Ray Lewis (Baltimore Ravens) both had very bad muscle tears early in the season and played only months later in the NFL playoffs. I can't see my injury being more severe than theirs.

What’s wrong? Was the doctor I saw a quack? Have I ruptured a muscle? Do I need surgery? When can I expect to start lifting again?

adang92 is a name known to all. (+5000) adang92 is a name known to all. (+5000) adang92 is a name known to all. (+5000) adang92 is a name known to all. (+5000) adang92 is a name known to all. (+5000) adang92 is a name known to all. (+5000) adang92 is a name known to all. (+5000) adang92 is a name known to all. (+5000) adang92 is a name known to all. (+5000) adang92 is a name known to all. (+5000) adang92 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    uhmmm have you visited more than one doctor for an opinion?

Originally Posted by adang92 View Post
    uhmmm have you visited more than one doctor for an opinion?
    I live in China. The doctor I went to see before is supposedly one of the best in the city. He sees the athletes at the local sports university.

With that said, the Chinese are not pedantic. I'm not sure what a Western examination would entail, but he did some strength tests and felt the area and concluded that no major damage had been done.

I did ask about how long it would take for a full recovery and he said, "There's no telling. It could be a couple months." Well, this was back in late September. While there has been improvement, I'm certainly not comfortable enough to start lifting again.

Bump.

I'm desperate, guys. Any guidance would be immensely appreciated.

China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Im in china too, what city are you in? maybe I can help you out.

chinoxmk22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chinoxmk22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chinoxmk22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chinoxmk22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chinoxmk22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chinoxmk22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chinoxmk22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chinoxmk22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chinoxmk22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chinoxmk22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chinoxmk22 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Sounds painful
    "It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog."