Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Squats or Deadlifts, What Taxes you More?

Just felt like talking about this.

Currently, I do front squats and deadlifts, so I'm deadlifting with quite a bit more weight than I front squat with, and still, front squats are a hell of a lot more taxing to me than deadlifts. It amazes me that some people find deadlifts more taxing! With front squats (and back squats) it's a mind game to get pumped up and ready for that next set. With deadlifts, it's no big deal, they're more taxing than bench or rows, but nothing like squats! I think part of it is the deload between each rep. The weight resting on you with squats for the entire duration of each rep is what I think gets me.

Which lift taxes you more, and why?

DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Rasputin4 View Post
    Just felt like talking about this.

Currently, I do front squats and deadlifts, so I'm deadlifting with quite a bit more weight than I front squat with, and still, front squats are a hell of a lot more taxing to me than deadlifts. It amazes me that some people find deadlifts more taxing! With front squats (and back squats) it's a mind game to get pumped up and ready for that next set. With deadlifts, it's no big deal, they're more taxing than bench or rows, but nothing like squats! I think part of it is the deload between each rep. The weight resting on you with squats for the entire duration of each rep is what I think gets me.

Which lift taxes you more, and why?
    Perform both movements without weight and tell me which one is more comfortable. I understand that you will be using more weight for deadllifts than squats. But I feel more comfortable deadlifting than squatting.

coolwavy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coolwavy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coolwavy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coolwavy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coolwavy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coolwavy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Deadlift for sure is more taxing. You'll get use to the front squats real quick, probably won't even feel anything in your abs in a week or two.

Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by DivaJana View Post
    Perform both movements without weight and tell me which one is more comfortable. I understand that you will be using more weight for deadllifts than squats. But I feel more comfortable deadlifting than squatting.
    I agree, I find deadlifting more comfortable.

Originally Posted by coolwavy View Post
    Deadlift for sure is more taxing. You'll get use to the front squats real quick, probably won't even feel anything in your abs in a week or two.
    I'm not talking about muscle recovery, rather how exerting a set is.

I've been at this awhile so recovery isn't a big factor.

FromSquare1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FromSquare1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FromSquare1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FromSquare1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FromSquare1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FromSquare1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FromSquare1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FromSquare1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FromSquare1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FromSquare1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FromSquare1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I front squatted 140kg (atg of course) for 1 the other day. It taxed me a lot since that's my PB. I find backsquats more taxing though, as the load is higher. I don't max my deadlifts very often at all, so I would say squats are more taxing for me.
    Squats, Squats, Squats,
    Squats squats
    Squats, Squats, Squats,
    Squats squats,
    Errybody
    If you aint doin squats get the F out the club.
    If you aint gettin quads get the F out the club.

Originally Posted by FromSquare1 View Post
    I front squatted 140kg (atg of course) for 1 the other day. It taxed me a lot since that's my PB. I find backsquats more taxing though, as the load is higher. I don't max my deadlifts very often at all, so I would say squats are more taxing for me.
    That's pretty good, man! I'm still relatively new to front squats, but I did back squats for years. What do you do for sets?

Even at the same volume and intensity, I'd rather do deadlifts any day of the week! haha

Faust24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Faust24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Faust24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Faust24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Faust24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Faust24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Faust24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Faust24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Faust24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Faust24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Faust24 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Whats your tempo?

For squats I will usually do 3-1-3. 3 seconds negative, 1 second pause, and 3 second positive.

For deadlifts its 1-1-3 1 second negative, 1 second pause, and 3 second positive.

I see a lot of people simply drop the bar of the deadlift once it goes below knees, nobody just drops the squat bar after a rep.

Try doing a set of bench presses with a slow negative, then a set with a short negative. Tell me which one is more taxing.

FromSquare1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FromSquare1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FromSquare1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FromSquare1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FromSquare1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FromSquare1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FromSquare1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FromSquare1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FromSquare1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FromSquare1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FromSquare1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    That's pretty good, man! I'm still relatively new to front squats, but I did back squats for years. What do you do for sets?

Even at the same volume and intensity, I'd rather do deadlifts any day of the week! haha
    Sets differ every week depending on the training focus. I usually front squat 2x a week and backsquat 2x a week. At the moment it's usually between 1 and 3 sets of 3 to 1 reps. Comp in march so trying to bring out my strength I guess. Edit, those are work sets. I warm up to them by going like 1x3@60@70@80@90@100@110 1x2 @120@130 1x1@135 2x1@140

I wouldn't really do this to begin with though..
    Squats, Squats, Squats,
    Squats squats
    Squats, Squats, Squats,
    Squats squats,
    Errybody

Originally Posted by Faust24 View Post
    Whats your tempo?

For squats I will usually do 3-1-3. 3 seconds negative, 1 second pause, and 3 second positive.

For deadlifts its 1-1-3 1 second negative, 1 second pause, and 3 second positive.

I see a lot of people simply drop the bar of the deadlift once it goes below knees, nobody just drops the squat bar after a rep.

Try doing a set of bench presses with a slow negative, then a set with a short negative. Tell me which one is more taxing.

For squats my tempo is about what you say.

For deadlifts I generally take 2-3 breaths between reps, otherwise about as you say.

Somehow I don't think stopping at the bottom of a squat for 2-3 breaths would make it any easier, though the comparison to deadlifts would probably be better if you took 2-3 breaths at the top of the squat, which I tend to take 1-2 breaths.

Sets differ every week depending on the training focus. I usually front squat 2x a week and backsquat 2x a week. At the moment it's usually between 1 and 3 sets of 3 to 1 reps. Comp in march so trying to bring out my strength I guess. Edit, those are work sets. I warm up to them by going like 1x3@60@70@80@90@100@110 1x2 @120@130 1x1@135 2x1@140

I wouldn't really do this to begin with though..
    I'm curious what you can front squat compared to your back squat.

I backsquat 157.5 for 1, but I got a max out next week so hopefully more this time
    Squats, Squats, Squats,
    Squats squats
    Squats, Squats, Squats,
    Squats squats,
    Errybody

Djaye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Djaye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Djaye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Djaye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Djaye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Djaye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Djaye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Djaye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Djaye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Djaye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Djaye is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    for me personally its deadlifts

midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Deadlifts affect the cns to a greater degree than squats do

Registered User miamibodybuilder's Avatar
    miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000)
    honestly man, they both tax the hell out of me. i do both back squats and front squats, as well as deads and wow they kill me any day i do them. so i'd have to say i'm neutral on this topic, mainly because they tax me differently. front squats mainly tax me because they're a bit uncomfortable and make it harder to breath, so you really have to focus on your form more so than deadlifts in my opinion. and deads you can lift more weight of course, but man do they do a number on your body. i always feel feverish when i'm done with my deads. i usually do 5 sets of them, and after i'm done.
    NGA Natural bodybuilder
    AAEFX Board Rep
    Team Natural Freak

coolwavy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coolwavy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coolwavy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coolwavy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coolwavy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coolwavy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Faust24 View Post
    nobody just drops the squat bar after a rep.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JmuH7DpcZk

klaery is just really nice. (+1000) klaery is just really nice. (+1000) klaery is just really nice. (+1000) klaery is just really nice. (+1000) klaery is just really nice. (+1000) klaery is just really nice. (+1000) klaery is just really nice. (+1000) klaery is just really nice. (+1000) klaery is just really nice. (+1000) klaery is just really nice. (+1000) klaery is just really nice. (+1000)
    Deadlifts by a large margin.
    Raw Lifts (IPF) = Squat-440 Bench-264(paused) Dead-551
    Raw Lifts (Gym)= Squat-440 Bench-270(paused) Dead-573
    Training: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=138990333&highlight=klaery

Killafornia805 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Killafornia805 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Killafornia805 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Killafornia805 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Killafornia805 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Killafornia805 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Killafornia805 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Killafornia805 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Killafornia805 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Killafornia805 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Killafornia805 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Deadlift more taxing

But im more sore after squat day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yloRKzSUQ84

Why drop when you can rack
    Squats, Squats, Squats,
    Squats squats
    Squats, Squats, Squats,
    Squats squats,
    Errybody

DarkFoxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarkFoxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarkFoxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarkFoxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarkFoxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarkFoxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarkFoxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarkFoxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarkFoxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarkFoxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarkFoxx is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Deadlifts are by far harder on your body than squats. I do 10rx6s squats first then 1rx12s SLDL on leg day, if I did deads first then I'd never make all the sets of squats. I do regular deads on back day since they're higher weight and harder on me that SLDL.

xRedfern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xRedfern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xRedfern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xRedfern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xRedfern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xRedfern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xRedfern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xRedfern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xRedfern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xRedfern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xRedfern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Squats, no question, i actually quite enjoy deadlifting but squats just make me feel sick lol.

KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I find back squats more taxing both physically and mentally. Since I'm maxing with 531 the last set it's always constant sruggle in my mind with squats but with deads it's just another day in the gym.
    Pokemon X and Y crew FC: 5215-0470-3034 (X)

Originally Posted by DivaJana View Post
    Why do you think you find deadlifting more comfortable?

I backsquat 157.5 for 1, but I got a max out next week so hopefully more this time
    You must front squat a lot more than you back squat, that's a ratio of about .90, mine is about .70, aiming for .80.

Originally Posted by midcoastking33 View Post
    Deadlifts affect the cns to a greater degree than squats do
    I think the weight resting on you in squats hits the CNS in a different way than the increased load people tend to use on deadlifts.

lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    deads for me

Originally Posted by miamibodybuilder View Post
    honestly man, they both tax the hell out of me. i do both back squats and front squats, as well as deads and wow they kill me any day i do them. so i'd have to say i'm neutral on this topic, mainly because they tax me differently. front squats mainly tax me because they're a bit uncomfortable and make it harder to breath, so you really have to focus on your form more so than deadlifts in my opinion. and deads you can lift more weight of course, but man do they do a number on your body. i always feel feverish when i'm done with my deads. i usually do 5 sets of them, and after i'm done.
    I'm certainly not saying deads are easy. After the workout, I'd say I'm about equally tired, maybe slightly moreso with squats. It's during and between sets that squats hit me the hardest.

bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'd say deads are more taxing for me, because I move significantly more weight. So it takes more warmup sets, which leads to more volume.

Plus for me deads are a mental lift, so there's a lot more psyching up before heavy sets. And that takes it out of you

Registered User of Peace MaximosJ's Avatar
    MaximosJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MaximosJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MaximosJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MaximosJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MaximosJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MaximosJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MaximosJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MaximosJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MaximosJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MaximosJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MaximosJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Deadlifts tax the hell out of me, way more than squats. Only time I've puked in the gym was a deadlift day.
    Off the bb.com forums for Lent; may check PMs occasionally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0LleY73_pY

CADTEMAMSDPFWAMPFIPWRCIBLDWTBOCS Crew: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159725621&p=1196708161&viewfull=1#post1196708161

"[I]t is necessary for one who wishes to speak about the truth to distinguish precisely the meanings of what is being said, for error arises out of ambiguity." -- St. Maximos the Confessor

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I agree, I find deadlifting more comfortable.
    What? 'Comfort' doesn't mean jack. I find the squat more comfortable when compared to the bb flat bench press, but that doesn't mean the bench press taxes me more.

To answer your question, I find that the deadlift is what kills me the most. The front squat kills my core and legs, but it's no where as taxing as a max set of deadlifts.