Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    catkitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) catkitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) catkitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) catkitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) catkitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) catkitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) catkitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) catkitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) catkitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) catkitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) catkitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Butt still flat in 8th week of squats and deadlifts

I'm noticed muscle growth in my legs and arms but after doing squats and deadlifts and weighted lunges for 8 weeks my butt seems to be staying flat. I'm thin so it's not fat flat, just skinny flat... Advice? I'm working my way up with weight and squatting / deadlifts mostly @ 45 lbs now and lunges w/ 15-20 lb dumbells. My thighs and calves are noticeably bigger but no butt... help?

Thanks,
    Cat

sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If you can lunge with 20lb db's then you should be able to squat/dead farrrrrrrrrrr more than 45lbs!

catkitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) catkitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) catkitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) catkitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) catkitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) catkitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) catkitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) catkitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) catkitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) catkitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) catkitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by sonti View Post
    If you can lunge with 20lb db's then you should be able to squat/dead farrrrrrrrrrr more than 45lbs!
    Really? I guess I've been overly cautious because I developed sciatica a couple weeks in. I think it's getting better tho so I will add weight, how much do you think I should be lifting?

sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Sorry, hit enter too soon.

First, 8 weeks is too soon for noticable muscle building. Second, since the weights seem "off", what is your actual programming/progression?

Originally Posted by catkitt View Post
    Really? I guess I've been overly cautious because I developed sciatica a couple weeks in. I think it's getting better tho so I will add weight, how much do you think I should be lifting?
    Also those were walking lunges, not as good at the others..

Kadisha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kadisha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kadisha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kadisha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kadisha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kadisha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kadisha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kadisha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kadisha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kadisha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kadisha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Saw the title in the general forums layout. Thought I'd give me 2 cents as a guy with a squat butt.

Besides weight being a factor make sure you're getting full range of motion in your squat. Beginners tend to do shallow squats and not fully activating their posterior chain muscles.

Here's an example

Hope this helps.
    Dirty Leb Crew
    US Army Infantry 2009-2013 'Murica

Originally Posted by sonti View Post
    Sorry, hit enter too soon.

First, 8 weeks is too soon for noticeable muscle building. Second, since the weights seem "off", what is your actual programming/progression?
    I'm doing the Body for Life program, 12/10/8/6/ progressively heavier then 12/12 with lighter weight for each body part. lower body/ upper body 3x wk. i had done it before years ago and felt comfortable with the exercises.

Originally Posted by Kadisha View Post
    Saw the title in the general forums layout. Thought I'd give me 2 cents as a guy with a squat butt.

Besides weight being a factor make sure you're getting full range of motion in your squat. Beginners tend to do shallow squats and not fully activating their posterior chain muscles.

Here's an example

Hope this helps.
    Thanks guy with a squat butt, that does help..I haven't been going that low.

Thanks guy with a squat butt, that does help..I haven't been going that low.
    Okay, there's a few problems then.

#1- You probably aren't lifting enough weight (if you can walk lunge with that weight, you can squat more and deadlift more)

#2- Form issue - as explained above, squatting above parallel does not do you justice. In plain terms, you aren't getting the most out of your butt. A nice ass comes from a nice parallel (or lower) squat. If you are not squatting deep enough, you probably aren't deadlifting correct either (and possibly pulling with your arms rather than using your full strength, again, not doing yourself any favours for your target area/hamstrings).

#3- Time...! It is going to take time. It can take years for women to build good quality muscle.

I would recommend Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength book to learn how to properly squat and deadlift.

Thanks Sonti,

I've been meaning to get that book.. Going to add weight and be patient

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    First, what Sonti said. You have to lift heavier to actually stimulate muscle growth.
    Second, are you eating in a surplus? Muscle doesn't grow without calories.
    Third, do you have any idea how long it takes a woman to gain a lb of muscle? Like 2 months, and that's if you do everything right.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000)
    Remember, you've got to eat to grow. I agree with those weights being too light. Dead lifting 45lbs........grandma could do that. No offense.

altrice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) altrice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) altrice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) altrice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) altrice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) altrice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) altrice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) altrice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) altrice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) altrice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) altrice has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    lol if 8 weeks was all it took.

abellis131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) abellis131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) abellis131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) abellis131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) abellis131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) abellis131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) abellis131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) abellis131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) abellis131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) abellis131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) abellis131 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    1. Body for Life is amazing for eating. Completely changed my life when I was younger. But... It was when I was fat and just looking to not be fat. I outgrew the program once I lost weight. It's just not built for strength training or muscle gains. He has good ideas about nutrition, but the workouts... meh.

2. I often find myself not fully utilizing my ass when I squat, even though I go deep and lift heavy. Go below parallel and remind yourself to use your entire posterior chain. Like others have said, definitely pick up Starting Strength - that one changed my life, too.
    "The greats weren't great 'cause at birth they could paint, the greats were great 'cause they paint a lot."

Bench: 150x1 (Goal: 150x5)
    Squat: 225x1 (Goal: 225x3)
    DL: 250x1 (Goal: 250x3)

Originally Posted by 5more View Post
    Remember, you've got to eat to grow. I agree with those weights being too light. Dead lifting 45lbs........grandma could do that. No offense.

Tough crowd

foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Recommend checking your posture. Folks with flat butts commonly have a flat back (specifically a decrease in the lower back curve (lumbar lordosis)) and/or posterior pelvic tilt. IF your body has either one, add appropriate exercises (do a search for them) to try correcting the problem as best as possible.

Prior to increasing weights, work on your squat depth. Start with bodyweight only if necessary. People, who live a western lifestyle, typically have some weak muscles in their butts. IMO the easiest way to locate them is to do bodyweight squats even lower than Jaime in the above photo. Aim for about an inch or so off the ground. Whatever feels sore needs some rehab time to be strengthened so they aren't overpowered by surrounding stronger muscles. Doing this will give your butt some shape.

Diet is an important component too. Be sure you're eating enough calories and protein to build muscle.

Thanks Foresail,

I want to try this body weight only squat for awhile because I think it will help with the sciatica issue I've acquired since lifting. How many reps/sets would you recommend with just bodyweight?

AUTiger13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AUTiger13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AUTiger13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AUTiger13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AUTiger13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AUTiger13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AUTiger13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AUTiger13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AUTiger13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AUTiger13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AUTiger13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    There are other great movements that target your glutes too- Barbell Glute Bridges and Barbell Hip Thrusts. This won't load your back either. Bret Contreras talks about many versions to help with your glutes

http://youtu.be/4w9JN9XRc_c
    http://maximumfitnessconsulting.com
    https://www.instagram.com/noelmaxfit/
    http://www.********.com/profile.php?id=1298381725#!/MaximumFitnessConsulting

foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Thanks Foresail,

I want to try this body weight only squat for awhile because I think it will help with the sciatica issue I've acquired since lifting. How many reps/sets would you recommend with just bodyweight?
    Most older noobs don't have the flexibility initially to go that low. Look around for something stackable (steps, plates, etc.) that won't fall over or cave in when sitting on it. Stack whatever was chosen up to the depth you can achieve right now with proper squat form. Stand in front of it. Extend your hands for balance if needed. Squat down and sit on the stack. Wait a second or two then stand up. This removes momentum. When you're able to do 10 with proper form knock off a level. Repeat the same process.

As you progress lower and lower, use an already mastered higher level or two for warm-up. If your butt gets really sore, slow down a bit to give the weak muscles that were woken up some time to strengthen. You also need to stretch your legs regularly, particularly the lower part.

Once you're able to achieve deep depth, now it's time to add weight. Start out with light dumbbells or plates, say 5 lbs. Work up towards doing 2 work sets x 12 reps 3x/week. When that becomes easy, bump up the weight. Rinse and repeat. Before reaching 40 lbs, your butt should already have some nice shape assuming little to no flat back/posterior pelvic tilt.

Increasing weight on whatever glute exercise is a far distant second to locating and strengthening any weak butt muscles. They are what stand in the way of achieving a nice shape.

Dreeza has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dreeza has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Going to offer a different perspective here, but everything above is definitely applicable too.

I'm a physical therapist, and see a lot of people with glut inhibition issues....I would guess that is a big issue due to your mentioning sciatica. Do you feel like your butt is working during your workouts?? Or do you feel like it is all burning quads?

Talk to your muscles...it works. Make sure you're telling your butt to do most of the work - you may feel an immediate difference in the exercise.

mjf100215 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mjf100215 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mjf100215 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mjf100215 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mjf100215 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mjf100215 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mjf100215 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mjf100215 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mjf100215 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mjf100215 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mjf100215 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Tough crowd
    Tough yes, but my wife can pull 135. I'm sure you can lift more.

Kellybeans1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Kellybeans1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Kellybeans1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Kellybeans1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Kellybeans1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Kellybeans1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Kellybeans1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Kellybeans1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Kellybeans1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Kellybeans1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Kellybeans1980 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs up

I just want to say thank you for posting this. I'm BRAND NEW and I have had a flat butt my entire life. I have wondered how long it would take me to notice anything so I'm almost happy to have my bubble burst now instead of a month from now when in not seeing the improvement I want. Best of luck girl on your waver weights.

thecityignites will become famous soon enough. (+50) thecityignites will become famous soon enough. (+50) thecityignites will become famous soon enough. (+50) thecityignites will become famous soon enough. (+50) thecityignites will become famous soon enough. (+50) thecityignites will become famous soon enough. (+50) thecityignites will become famous soon enough. (+50) thecityignites will become famous soon enough. (+50) thecityignites will become famous soon enough. (+50) thecityignites will become famous soon enough. (+50) thecityignites will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by foresail View Post
    Recommend checking your posture. Folks with flat butts commonly have a flat back (specifically a decrease in the lower back curve (lumbar lordosis)) and/or posterior pelvic tilt. IF your body has either one, add appropriate exercises (do a search for them) to try correcting the problem as best as possible.
    I hate to nitpick, but lordosis is an exaggerated outward curve in the lumbar region. Flat back syndrome is caused by the loss of the natural lumbar curve (or, lordosis), resulting in a flat back. Not the other way around.

It takes time to a build a booty, especially if you haven't got much there to start with. I didn't notice mine rounding out until about 6 months to a year in. Was worth the wait though. I'm a fan of split squats and glute bridges in addition to squats/deads.
    I have a vagina so its not my fault I'm a pussy.

There's always room for one more blade, there's always strength for one last breath.

You are welcome and welcome to the round booty wannabe club.

tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Give it some time and it will happen. I was a card carring member of the tiny hiney club. But with all the squat work I have been doing I was told by a guy that my butt would stop traffic. Keep squating and it will happen. I love sumo squats so try them too.

Thank you, thank you....this is really helpful.

Originally Posted by foresail View Post
    Most older noobs don't have the flexibility initially to go that low. Look around for something stackable (steps, plates, etc.) that won't fall over or cave in when sitting on it. Stack whatever was chosen up to the depth you can achieve right now with proper squat form. Stand in front of it. Extend your hands for balance if needed. Squat down and sit on the stack. Wait a second or two then stand up. This removes momentum. When you're able to do 10 with proper form knock off a level. Repeat the same process.

As you progress lower and lower, use an already mastered higher level or two for warm-up. If your butt gets really sore, slow down a bit to give the weak muscles that were woken up some time to strengthen. You also need to stretch your legs regularly, particularly the lower part.

Once you're able to achieve deep depth, now it's time to add weight. Start out with light dumbbells or plates, say 5 lbs. Work up towards doing 2 work sets x 12 reps 3x/week. When that becomes easy, bump up the weight. Rinse and repeat. Before reaching 40 lbs, your butt should already have some nice shape assuming little to no flat back/posterior pelvic tilt.

Increasing weight on whatever glute exercise is a far distant second to locating and strengthening any weak butt muscles. They are what stand in the way of achieving a nice shape.
    I'm going to do this starting today, thanks so much for spelling it all out for me. I think i have the flexibility from Yoga to do it without blocks. Thanks.

Originally Posted by tacdgb View Post
    Give it some time and it will happen. I was a card carring member of the tiny hiney club. But with all the squat work I have been doing I was told by a guy that my butt would stop traffic. Keep squating and it will happen. I love sumo squats so try them too.
    Lol, you go girl, stop that traffic

Originally Posted by Dreeza View Post
    Going to offer a different perspective here, but everything above is definitely applicable too.

I'm a physical therapist, and see a lot of people with glut inhibition issues....I would guess that is a big issue due to your mentioning sciatica. Do you feel like your butt is working during your workouts?? Or do you feel like it is all burning quads?

Talk to your muscles...it works. Make sure you're telling your butt to do most of the work - you may feel an immediate difference in the exercise.
    I do feel like this... and i have talked to them and really tried to focus on it. I'll keep talking to my butt i guess

wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Post some vids of your lifts for form critique and more in depth help. I agree - i think you're having issues with glute activation and also aren't pushing yourself.