Saberback has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Saberback has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Saberback has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Saberback has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Saberback has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Saberback has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Saberback has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Saberback has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Saberback has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Saberback has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Fat bench bar vs skinner bar

I'm pretty good with what to expect everytime I go into a workout.. Whether its bench, shoulder press etc.. I recently switched gyms and I noticed that the flat bench bar was a lot thicker opposed to my old gyms bar... I weighed it and everything and it's dead on 45lbs... How could my numbers be lower with a thicker bar? Will I eventually adjust? It's upsetting cause I went from doing 3x8 at 225, to 3x8,6,5... Nothing else in the gym has dropped.. Back,bis,shoulders, triceps... So it's planted in my head its this stupid thick bar.. Help me out

Location: Birmingham, Westmidlands, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000)
    could be one bar is around 28mm and the other 30mm+,
    as soon as i switched from 32mm to 28mm, by bench went up 10lbs.
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #4 -!!!---!!!-

Home gym 'til I die. ProtienandIron's Avatar
    ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Some bars can weigh as little as 15 kg. And some can be slightly over 20
    My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

[]---[] Equipment Crew #43 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #1 -!!!---!!!-
    ()---() York Barbell Club #4 ()---()

jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by ProtienandIron View Post
    Some bars can weigh as little as 15 kg. And some can be slightly over 20
    He says in the OP that he's weighed the bars and they're both right on.

@OP, its to be expected. Olympic bars are anywhere between 28mm (competition bars are all this size) and 32mm (generally bought by crowded gyms who don't want their bars to bend). A thicker bar is harder on your forearms and on your triceps, so your lockout strength will suffer. No, you won't "adjust to it" and get back your lost reps by magic, but you will eventually get stronger and when you switch back to a skinnier bar you'll be moving more weight.

Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jmmainvi View Post

@OP, its to be expected. Olympic bars are anywhere between 28mm (competition bars are all this size) and 32mm (generally bought by crowded gyms who don't want their bars to bend). A thicker bar is harder on your forearms and on your triceps, so your lockout strength will suffer. No, you won't "adjust to it" and get back your lost reps by magic, but you will eventually get stronger and when you switch back to a skinnier bar you'll be moving more weight.

Unless I'm missing something, the OP only said that he weighed the thicker bar, not the one from his old gym.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"An adult male weighs at least 200 pounds." - Mark Rippetoe

▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #44 ▪█──█▪

||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #11 ||---||

Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000)
    The weights can also be off. But that's to be expected, minor differences in equipment, thickness, length of bars can easily add or remove 20 lbs off your lifts. I remember someone saying that with deadlifts, using a stiff 5' bar that 'had no give' took 60 lbs off his lift.
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #24 -!!!---!!!-

Home gym 'til I die. ProtienandIron's Avatar
    ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Stasher1 View Post
    Unless I'm missing something, the OP only said that he weighed the thicker bar, not the one from his old gym.
    Yep, this.^ But you make a good point about the grip size. I was at work on my phone when I replied so my post was a bit lazy.
    My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

[]---[] Equipment Crew #43 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #1 -!!!---!!!-
    ()---() York Barbell Club #4 ()---()

irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I've never used a skinner bar...

Seriously though, 1 or 2 mm give or take wont make much of a difference.

jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by ProtienandIron View Post
    Yep, this.^ But you make a good point about the grip size. I was at work on my phone when I replied so my post was a bit lazy.
    Yep, my bad there - I'd just woken up and apparently my post (or my reading comprehension) was lazy as well.

Originally Posted by irongym View Post

It does though. It makes much more difference on deadlifts or oly lifts, but it still makes a difference on squats and bench. Besides the change to the forearm and tricep muscles I mentioned in my last post, a thicker bar is going to be automatically more stiff than a thinner bar, and that's going to change the stretch reflex and the "bounce" at the bottom of any lift you're doing.

Saberback has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Saberback has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Saberback has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Saberback has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Saberback has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Saberback has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Saberback has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Saberback has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Saberback has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Saberback has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

That makes alota sense.. It does seem like I was having more tension on the forearms with the thicker grip.. Thanks. And a guy I was talking to in the gym said I should probably just stick to te thick bar because when u go up more in weight the thicker bar evens the weight out better? He looked big so I took his word for it lol

Originally Posted by Saberback View Post
    That makes alota sense.. It does seem like I was having more tension on the forearms with the thicker grip.. Thanks. And a guy I was talking to in the gym said I should probably just stick to te thick bar because when u go up more in weight the thicker bar evens the weight out better? He looked big so I took his word for it lol
    Pretty sure that's broscience.

But using the thicker bar will transfer better to the thinner bar than using the thinner bar will transfer to the thicker bar. Just keep in mind that if you're ever planning to compete in PL you should spend a few weeks adapting to the regulation equipment. That's just common sense.

doza808 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) doza808 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) doza808 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) doza808 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) doza808 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) doza808 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) doza808 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) doza808 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) doza808 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) doza808 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) doza808 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Having a thicker bar to hold on to will help you with your grip strength, even with pressing movements. I'd be happy if my gym incorporated them in their equipment inventory.
    OEF/OIF/OIR Vet (2007-2013)
    I Keep My Kicks Clean Crew
    SF 49ers Crew
    LA Lakers Crew

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by irongym View Post

That's what she said. . .
    You need a good rack, a bench, and a 300-lb Olympic weight set. Now, what was your question?

My home gym: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1465291461&viewfull=1#post1465291461.

()---() York Barbell Club #1 (DD, RH, Kg) ()---() []---[] Equipment Crew #36 []---[] []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #51 []---[] [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #29 [M]===[6] ~~ 4 Horsemen ~~