Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: sushi fans?

GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    When you buy fish--any fish--always look at the eyes and then gently touch the skin. If the eyes look bright and the skin feels supple, then chances are it's fresh. This is if you go to the market as opposed to getting it literally off the boat.

If, on the other hand, the eyes look glazed and dead (well, yeah, the thing's ALREADY dead, but 'old' dead as opposed to 'new' dead) and the skin feels a tiny bit mushy, then it ain't fresh.

As for preparation of sashimi, most of the time over here it's just done with a little vinegar, salt, and sugar, and then dipped in soy sauce. Most Japanese chefs look askance at the American version of preparing sushi i.e. avocado rolls. To me, nothing wrong with it, but the chefs here are traditionalists for the most part. Good or bad? You decide. I prefer it the traditional way, and I prefer sushi to sashimi, as I like the taste of rice with a tiny dab of wasabi on it, just for the tang it gives. You don't need much, and less is often more.

With regard to the 'falsity' of sushi in N. America, it's always been mislabeled. Often they'll use pollock as the main ingredient in making fake crab, as it's cheaper and has the same consistency as the real thing. I tried sushi with my family the last time we went to TO, about five years ago. Meh...
    "Don't call me Miss Kitty. Just...don't."--Catnip. Check out the Catnip Trilogy on Amazon.com

"Chivalry isn't dead. It just wears a skirt."--Twisted, the YA gender bender deal of the century!

Check out my links to Mr. Taxi, Star Maps, and other fine YA Action/Romance novels at http://www.amazon.com/J.S.-Frankel/e/B004XUUTB8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I love sushi. We are lucky because they just opened a new place by my house. All the local japanese eat there, so i was thinking it would be good. I say lucky because indiana is not really a hotbed for good sushi..,

beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by djflex View Post
    I love sushi. We are lucky because they just opened a new place by my house. All the local japanese eat there, so i was thinking it would be good. I say lucky because indiana is not really a hotbed for good sushi..,
    I live close to the ocean so the fish here is very good. Lots of good sushi places too, I have many to choose from and they're all good. I tend to ix-nay going to any fish place that isn't on the shore somewhere.

Thinking about hitting the china buffet tonight with my son... great sushi and they make it up fresh on the spot. Even the bigger supermarkets have a sushi chef in their fish departments.

Rob
    In space, nobody can smell Uranus....

frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    This thread got me craving so I picked some up today. Tuna, salmon, and cucumber maki. Philadelphia roll (salmon, cream cheese, and smoked salmon), 6 nigiri salmon and tuna. Devoured it in about 5 minutes.

It's not your beliefs that make you a better person, it's your behavior.

"If you're having girl problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems and a b1tch ain't 1" JayZ

trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by frozensparky View Post
    This thread got me craving so I picked some up today. Tuna, salmon, and cucumber maki. Philadelphia roll (salmon, cream cheese, and smoked salmon), 6 nigiri salmon and tuna. Devoured it in about 5 minutes.

Damn that looks tasty!

MiamiSpartan is a name known to all. (+5000) MiamiSpartan is a name known to all. (+5000) MiamiSpartan is a name known to all. (+5000) MiamiSpartan is a name known to all. (+5000) MiamiSpartan is a name known to all. (+5000) MiamiSpartan is a name known to all. (+5000) MiamiSpartan is a name known to all. (+5000) MiamiSpartan is a name known to all. (+5000) MiamiSpartan is a name known to all. (+5000) MiamiSpartan is a name known to all. (+5000) MiamiSpartan is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Dad started us on sushi back in 68 when there was ONE sushi restaurant in Chicago, on Wells across from Second City...we were always the only Anglos in the place, and with us 6 kids eating sushi, we were quite the spectacle for the wait staff...
    Chicago White Sox. 2005 World Series Champs!!
    Chicago Blackhawks!! 2010, 2013 & 2015 Stanley Cup Champs!!!
    Michigan State Spartans. 2007 NCAA Hockey Champs!!
    Michigan State Spartans. 2014 Rose Bowl Champs!! 2015 Cotton Bowl Champs!!

Am I self-centered or is it just me?

I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.....
    Does the 3 second rule apply to soup....?

schmack has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) schmack has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) schmack has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) schmack has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) schmack has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) schmack has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) schmack has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) schmack has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) schmack has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) schmack has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) schmack has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Love sushi.

I usually head to my local H-Mart in the cold winters and get sushi/sashimi grade cuts and slice my own. In the Summers I will head out in my offshore Vessel and catch my own Tuna. Nothing like cutting slices with Poon still in.
    Instagram= lighteyedhapa

There is no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness. Po