MikeSanders12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Do you need protein shakes to build quality strength power and muscle?

Ive used supplements before but never on a daily basis, i just got ON Creatine and thought if i should get a whey protein.
    I got my bench up 60 pounds in 2 months in football, without anything, NO protein shakes, NO creatine NOTHING, just good ol mommas cookin.
    But i feel whey protein is a joke, and will not help me, if i already eat like i do, about 3,500 calories a day, 140 g of protein. Is that enough? Or should i take a whey protein with the creatine im gunna start using
    Sophmore in highschool Football
    Offensive guard

Bench:255
    Squat:405
    Deadlift:455

OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You are a tank if those are your freshmen stats with that size. I'd say you are fine if what you are doing is working for you right now. The only thing I could reccommend is increasing your protein. You weigh 286 but are getting 140g of protein only half of your bodyweight. Considering you are young and going through growth it's hardly a problem, but you could likely get even bigger by upping that to 200-220g a day. That is where the protein shake might come in handy. Also "momma's cooking" is great(everyone who moves out knows this), but make sure she is fixing lean meats and baked chicken and not fried and salty stuff. Keep up the good work!
    People say all of this crap about genetics this, genetics that. I will never let genetics tell me what I can and cannot do..

jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    There's no reason to use supplements if you're getting full nutrition from real food - in fact, the way you're doing it is actually preferable, especially for an athlete (maybe not for a bodybuilder - but you aren't one.) It might be a way to keep your protein high if you decide to cut some weight ever, but that doesn't seem to be your plan, and that can be done in other ways anyway.

Even creatine is found in red meat (1lb of steak has ~1g of creatine in it). Supplement companies want you to think there's some big secret behind the stuff they're selling.... but really, you've found the secret which is sticking to the basics and working hard.

LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Protein only helps you get in more protein every day and some other things (glutamine, BCAAs, etc). Not necessary but a nice tool if you have the money. If you want the benefits of creatine, then you will have to buy the supplement. You can't get the full 5 grams everyday from food (unless you eat a ridiculous amount of meat).
    5' 11", 225 lbs
    BF: ~17%
    Bench: 320
    Squat: 485
    Power Clean: 295

Patience and Hard Work.

My journal from high school football through my current college football career:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145019721&pagenumber

KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I would not call whey protein a "joke". It is a legit product that has proven benefits but is not required for muscle growth. Most kids your age think they can just add a protein shake in their diet and they will become the hulk in a few weeks.
    Also as suggested you need to eat more protein, especially if you are consuming 3,500 calories a day. You are currently consuming 560 calories from protein so that means 2,940 calories are coming from carbs and fats! Spend a little time in the nutrition forum, it may be the most valuable forum on this site and i spend lots of time learning something new everyday.

Good luck with your football career, playing in college is an experience that not many get, i hope you can have that experience!!

RohanFLB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RohanFLB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RohanFLB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RohanFLB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RohanFLB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RohanFLB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RohanFLB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RohanFLB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RohanFLB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RohanFLB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RohanFLB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jmmainvi View Post
    There's no reason to use supplements if you're getting full nutrition from real food
    Agreed.

Yet supplement companies have an interest in people believing otherwise
    Want an Advanced Calorie Calculator Tool?

Visit FatLossBoss.com/calculator

Want Copy of "How to Lose Fat" –*The Essentials Guide?
    Subscribe at www.FatLossBoss.com

"Life is Better When You're Lean and Muscular"

Registered User HamandCheese994's Avatar
    HamandCheese994 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HamandCheese994 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HamandCheese994 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HamandCheese994 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HamandCheese994 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HamandCheese994 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HamandCheese994 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HamandCheese994 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HamandCheese994 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HamandCheese994 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HamandCheese994 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I read somewhere that whey protein is actually a "waste" after you make something. Some guy had the bright idea of turning around the whey they were all throwing out and selling it.

I don't know what that "something" is but yes I do not
    Take whey protein eitheir.
    "It ain't about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward - how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." -Rocky

LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by HamandCheese994 View Post
    I read somewhere that whey protein is actually a "waste" after you make something. Some guy had the bright idea of turning around the whey they were all throwing out and selling it.

I don't know what that "something" is but yes I do not
    Take whey protein eitheir.
    The first cars ever made were actually very dangerous to drive so I never drive.
    5' 11", 225 lbs
    BF: ~17%
    Bench: 320
    Squat: 485
    Power Clean: 295

Patience and Hard Work.

My journal from high school football through my current college football career:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145019721&pagenumber

Melegaunt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Melegaunt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Melegaunt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Melegaunt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Melegaunt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Melegaunt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Melegaunt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Melegaunt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Melegaunt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Melegaunt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Melegaunt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    A topic that has been floating around as of late is protein shakes. I have choked down a ridiculous amount of protein shakes since I first began training, and in all honesty the volume of intake has decreased as time has went on.

I'm now to the point where I will drink a shake in a pinch, or if I've gone too long without a meal, and those aren't the best reasons to do so, those are excuses for my neglect of my dietary intake. I don't think I've had a shake in a week!

Oh, and I have CONTINUED to develop and progress without shoving powder mixed in a shaker cup down my throat.

My point here is, I do not believe protein shakes are necessary for muscle building. In fact, the emphasis of using a protein supplement often becomes a replacement for REAL FOOD, and is a detriment to your overall health and performance.

I see the same people who talk about eating clean also ingest multiple protein shakes a day without thinking twice about it. I would absolutely not consider protein powder to be a clean food. It is a processed food, and hardly a food at that.

I see many people also say that they "can't" intake enough protein or calories without the use of shakes. This is bull, no way around it. I eat in upwards of five thousand calories a day and do not need shakes to do this. Chances are is that you only need a fraction of this, and by saying you CAN'T ingest enough protein from whole food sources is just stating that you are unwilling to do so, or are too lazy.

Also, this mandatory window of time post workout in which "YOU MUST" intake fast acting proteins in order to properly recover or you will waste away and lose all your gains is bull. I used to subscribe to this, I would religiously bring my protein powder and shaker cup with me wherever I went, and force shakes down my throat in the locker room immediately after my workouts. Now, i seldom even use one post workout. I feel much better letting my body relax, let my stomach settle, and then eat whole foods when I am ready.
    Have my gains suffered from this? Quite the contrary. I'm making the best progress of my life thus far.

Am I telling you not to drink protein shakes? No, do as you will. But do not place them as a staple in your diet, and do not be fooled by the ever powerful marketing machine into believing that you need some processed powder to build a strong, healthy physique.

The take-away?
    Protein powder is to protein what enriched bleached flour is to carbs.

Anyways, just a little something I wrote on my ******** page that I thought applicable to this topic!
    www.hoyfitness.com

www.********.com/claytonhoyfitnesscoach

RussianGerman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RussianGerman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RussianGerman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RussianGerman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RussianGerman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RussianGerman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RussianGerman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RussianGerman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RussianGerman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RussianGerman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RussianGerman is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Do you need to post such stupid shiit?