tdob12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

18 yrs old, ACSM certified, now what?

Hey guys!

First off, I'm excited to be a new member on the site! I've browsed for a while, and decided it was time to join.

Looking for some guidance...Passed my ACSM exam in January, and now I'm looking for the next step in the personal training process. I'm away at college (1st year) right now, but I'd really like to get a job close to home this summer. So far the gyms I've looked into all have highly experienced trainers, and many with B.S. degrees in a health field. My focus in college is engineering, however I've had a passion for lifting and fitness as long as I can remember, and would really like to get my foot in the door. I've trained friends recreationally for the past 2 years, so I do have some experience. So far I've emailed a few of the gyms, but honestly even with the cert. I feel underqualified. Should I just be shooting for an internship? One of my friends got a job almost immediately after getting certified, but I feel that may be the exception and not the rule.

Where's the best place to start, a gym, studio, or on your own?

I'd love for some input on my next step(s)!
    Last edited by tdob12; 02-18-2013 at 07:56 PM.

silvrmoos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silvrmoos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silvrmoos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would look into internship opportunities where you would be working with the most respected trainers in your area (every city has a few people that are THE person to see). Sometimes these are paid positions, sometimes your compensation is in experience gained and the bargaining power gained from the line on your resume.
    USMC

University of Michigan Alum

www.2fitfoodies.net - recipes and meal prep solutions

http://2fitfoodies.net/online-training-services/

RECENT LOGS/REVIEWS:
    Fast Fuel and ReGen:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157621793
    Hypertest & Myodex: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158300113
    CRASH: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157993683
    HYDE: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157993173

m3ndo is on a distinguished road. (+10) m3ndo is on a distinguished road. (+10) m3ndo is on a distinguished road. (+10) m3ndo is on a distinguished road. (+10) m3ndo is on a distinguished road. (+10) m3ndo is on a distinguished road. (+10) m3ndo is on a distinguished road. (+10) m3ndo is on a distinguished road. (+10) m3ndo is on a distinguished road. (+10) m3ndo is on a distinguished road. (+10) m3ndo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    engineering or personal training. pick one. if you're looking into engineering long term then do yourself a favor and get an engineering internship. If you want to train people as a summer job you'll never be taken seriously. Gyms and health clubs want long term clients and the trainers they hire need to be motivated toward long term goals. If I were a gym owner and I see an 18 year old engineering student trying to get a summer job, I would ask wtf you were going to accomplish by spending three months with the few clients you managed to get.

tdob12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by m3ndo View Post
    engineering or personal training. pick one. if you're looking into engineering long term then do yourself a favor and get an engineering internship. If you want to train people as a summer job you'll never be taken seriously. Gyms and health clubs want long term clients and the trainers they hire need to be motivated toward long term goals. If I were a gym owner and I see an 18 year old engineering student trying to get a summer job, I would ask wtf you were going to accomplish by spending three months with the few clients you managed to get.
    I apologize I think I made myself unclear in the post. Really just looking for a part-time position using the skills and knowledge I've gained so I can help people, and also gain some extra money for school. I believe this is a viable option, but maybe I am wrong.

Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by tdob12 View Post
    I apologize I think I made myself unclear in the post. Really just looking for a part-time position using the skills and knowledge I've gained so I can help people, and also gain some extra money for school. I believe this is a viable option, but maybe I am wrong.
    Depending on which ACSM certification you got, its pretty well accepted in academics. You could see if your school's exercise physiology lab has any intern/research opportunities for you. That might look better on your resume going forward nomatter what direction you move in than part time personal trainer over summer.

itasquo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) itasquo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) itasquo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) itasquo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) itasquo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) itasquo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) itasquo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) itasquo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) itasquo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) itasquo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) itasquo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Torrtrefireto View Post
    Depending on which ACSM certification you got, its pretty well accepted in academics. You could see if your school's exercise physiology lab has any intern/research opportunities for you. That might look better on your resume going forward nomatter what direction you move in than part time personal trainer over summer.
    Agree on that.

8MilesHigh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 8MilesHigh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 8MilesHigh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 8MilesHigh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 8MilesHigh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 8MilesHigh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 8MilesHigh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 8MilesHigh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 8MilesHigh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 8MilesHigh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 8MilesHigh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by tdob12 View Post
    Hey guys!

First off, I'm excited to be a new member on the site! I've browsed for a while, and decided it was time to join.

Looking for some guidance...Passed my ACSM exam in January, and now I'm looking for the next step in the personal training process. I'm away at college (1st year) right now, but I'd really like to get a job close to home this summer. So far the gyms I've looked into all have highly experienced trainers, and many with B.S. degrees in a health field. My focus in college is engineering, however I've had a passion for lifting and fitness as long as I can remember, and would really like to get my foot in the door. I've trained friends recreationally for the past 2 years, so I do have some experience. So far I've emailed a few of the gyms, but honestly even with the cert. I feel underqualified. Should I just be shooting for an internship? One of my friends got a job almost immediately after getting certified, but I feel that may be the exception and not the rule.

Where's the best place to start, a gym, studio, or on your own?

I'd love for some input on my next step(s)!
    I did a few internships at the school I was attending. I assisted in a couple adapted PE classes teaching students with disabilities how to resistance train. Then the following semester I assisted with 3 weight lifting classes.
    BS Biochemistry, CSCS
    pre-Physical Therapy
    ----------