bigjoe1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Football Walk-on Training

Hey guys I have a question. I'm 6-5 390lbs. Im 23 and I've competed in powerlifting for awhile but I've always loved playing football. I have tryouts for a D-1 college in August 2013. I want to get my 40 down to a 5 flat from a 5.6 by August. I'm wanting to play offensive line and I have pretty quick feet. I love lifting heavy and have some impressive lifts for my age. I normally wouldn't post them but to give you the details here they are. Bench 355, squat 850, deadlift 700, and cleans 410. these are raw. I don't want to sacrifice a lot of strength but want to get my bodyweight to 340 lbs before August. My question is, how realistic are my expectations? Can I drop 6 tenths on forty and drop 50lbs by then without losing a lot of strength? Also, does anyone know what to expect at a D-1 football tryout? Thanks guys.
    Joseph Stanfield

U of L

Just in case your wondering, the school is University of Louisville.
    Joseph Stanfield

JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000)
    Jesus you're a big guy lol. 5.6 40yd at your size is impressive, as are your squat and deadlift...bench and clean not so much coz of your weight.

There's others with a lot better idea on how tryouts work and where you should be at..but if you want to play O-Line then your 40yd will be looked at less than the agility drills, so don't forget to work on your hip mobility and your ability to turn.

There's ~24 weeks until August(?) so basically you want to lose 2.5 pounds a week which is very achievable, if you get your diet in order you probably won't drop off on your lifts too much either.

Originally Posted by JardmanOLB View Post
    Jesus you're a big guy lol. 5.6 40yd at your size is impressive, as are your squat and deadlift...bench and clean not so much coz of your weight.

There's others with a lot better idea on how tryouts work and where you should be at..but if you want to play O-Line then your 40yd will be looked at less than the agility drills, so don't forget to work on your hip mobility and your ability to turn.

There's ~24 weeks until August(?) so basically you want to lose 2.5 pounds a week which is very achievable, if you get your diet in order you probably won't drop off on your lifts too much either.
    Thanks man. That's about what I was aiming for as far as how much to lose a week. Appreciate the feedback.
    Joseph Stanfield

First workout

Had to change up my workout slightly but it will be fun. Conditioning sucks.
    Joseph Stanfield

Any feedback to the original post is appreciated. Just got through a brutal shoulder workout. 315lb power cleans 5x5.
    Joseph Stanfield

LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    That's a nice squat

You bench could use work though, not to say it's bad, but I would of thought it be over your bodyweight when you squat is over twice it.

Goodluck

Originally Posted by LegitSalsa View Post
    That's a nice squat

You bench could use work though, not to say it's bad, but I would of thought it be over your bodyweight when you squat is over twice it.

Goodluck
    Appreciate the feedback. Yea I have definitely struggled with my bench. I assume its because my arms are so long. Now that I'm trying to play football again I want to move more towards endurance. I'm able to complete 225lbs on bench at around 28-33 repetitions. It's odd but my chest has good endurance. Luckily for football the endurance is wanted more so than a high 1rm.
    Joseph Stanfield

LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Oh, that's pretty good. Most Olineman at the NFL combine only hit around 30.

How are your blocking skills?

Originally Posted by LegitSalsa View Post
    Oh, that's pretty good. Most Olineman at the NFL combine only hit around 30.

How are your blocking skills?
    Blocking skills arent bad but could use work. I haven't played in 3 years. I've always accelled at defense and not so much at offense. I got first team all state in high school for defense but in college guys on the d line are running in the 4's on their forty. I figured my best shot is at the o line position. Footwork has always been good so that's a plus for offensive tackle.
    Joseph Stanfield

willmulligan is on a distinguished road. (+10) willmulligan is on a distinguished road. (+10) willmulligan is on a distinguished road. (+10) willmulligan is on a distinguished road. (+10) willmulligan is on a distinguished road. (+10) willmulligan is on a distinguished road. (+10) willmulligan is on a distinguished road. (+10) willmulligan is on a distinguished road. (+10) willmulligan is on a distinguished road. (+10) willmulligan is on a distinguished road. (+10) willmulligan is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'd say agility drills are going to be your biggest concern. You've heard of people being fast and you've heard of people being football fast. There's a big difference in that. Work on explosive drills and explosive workouts. Those will be most helpful. I tried playing fullback at an NAIA school out of high school. Had a total of 5 concussions and neck injuries over 3 years. Had to quit that and started playing baseball. I'd say you gotta keep your head up going in there. Don't know how the coaches are there but they're gonna be hard on you especially if you're gonna be a walk-on. Be consistent and work your ass off. Prove to them you can do it and dont ever be discouraged.

amarvgr2396 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) amarvgr2396 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) amarvgr2396 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) amarvgr2396 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) amarvgr2396 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) amarvgr2396 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I would recomend finding a sled to work on, because you have brute strength, but you need to know how to use it. Look at some game film and see how they block, when they pass block do they back kick and push and back, or do they stand there and slightly drive them, Try to do what they do on film. Focus on blocking proporly, and if you can post videos of you sled driving here so we can critique you!