Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Good Lord Im an out of shape wuss

Today I started the 5 x 5 routine. I have never squatted in my 48+years on this planet. As many of you know you start many of the 5 x 5 exercises with an empty bar weighing 45 pounds. After 5 sets of 5, I was shot and even struggled to get the very last rep. A half hour later I walked down a flight of stairs and had to hold onto the railing. I am going to be sore as hell for the next few days.

Out of shape and old. It sucks. My 19 year old son also started the 5 x 5 today (he has been working out for a while ) and thought it was lame to start with an empty bar but I convinced him to stick with the program as the weight will start to add up each time. Now it’s a day off and then squatting again on Wednesday but I know my old muscles and on the second day I will be really sore so adding only 5 pounds on Wednesday is going to be painful. Oh to be young and in shape once again.

highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You don't have to be young to be in shape again.

olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Agreed and that is the goal but the stamina and recovery time was much better was I was young. Now staring at nearly 50 trips around the sun, I have to get used to DOMs that last a week.

skrak will become famous soon enough. (+50) skrak will become famous soon enough. (+50) skrak will become famous soon enough. (+50) skrak will become famous soon enough. (+50) skrak will become famous soon enough. (+50) skrak will become famous soon enough. (+50) skrak will become famous soon enough. (+50) skrak will become famous soon enough. (+50) skrak will become famous soon enough. (+50) skrak will become famous soon enough. (+50) skrak will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Good for you on starting a 5x5 , you will not regret it.

My legs are already regretting it but I will stick with it.

magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    must be nice training with your son
    East Coast Mecca
    http://bevfrancis.com/

edkeeley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) edkeeley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) edkeeley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) edkeeley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) edkeeley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) edkeeley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) edkeeley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) edkeeley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) edkeeley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great job starting on the 5x5!

Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Congrats! Going from zreo training to any training is good. The soreness will fade, even as you start adding weight to the bar.

Which 5x5 are you doing?
    " ----------I`m your Huckleberry......'"

John Adams

leelameema is just really nice. (+1000) leelameema is just really nice. (+1000) leelameema is just really nice. (+1000) leelameema is just really nice. (+1000) leelameema is just really nice. (+1000) leelameema is just really nice. (+1000) leelameema is just really nice. (+1000) leelameema is just really nice. (+1000) leelameema is just really nice. (+1000) leelameema is just really nice. (+1000) leelameema is just really nice. (+1000)
    48 is young not old . Good for you for getting started its never too late . Just tuff it out the soreness means you are alive and kicking . Hahaha

cmt029 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmt029 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmt029 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmt029 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmt029 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmt029 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmt029 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmt029 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmt029 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmt029 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmt029 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Good going man! Hitting your legs for the first time in a long time is going to cause a lot of soreness no matter what age you are!

Amstat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Amstat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Amstat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Amstat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Amstat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Amstat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Amstat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Amstat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Amstat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Amstat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Amstat has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I went through the same thing. I squatted the bar....three sets of 8, could barely walk down the stairs for two days. That was three months ago and now I squat 175 three sets of eight, 195 set of 6, 225 set of 3.

Hang in there guy, you will progress....and fast!

paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good on you brother! So you can't do what you'd like at the moment? In a month or two, you'll see a difference. In 5 or 6 you won't even recognize yourself. After a year of consistently pounding away, you'll be a completely different person altogether! "Who shall despise the day of small things?" Now that's a quote from way, way back.
    paolo59

"If you're going through hell, keep going!" Winston Churchill

Originally Posted by magic15 View Post
    must be nice training with your son
    So far we havent actually trained together because I work days and he works evenings but he lives with us and we do get to spend some time together to talk about training and our plans.

Corpsman 91-99 & forever cmoore's Avatar
    cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by olebuck View Post
    Today I started the 5 x 5 routine. I have never squatted in my 48+years on this planet. As many of you know you start many of the 5 x 5 exercises with an empty bar weighing 45 pounds. After 5 sets of 5, I was shot and even struggled to get the very last rep. A half hour later I walked down a flight of stairs and had to hold onto the railing. I am going to be sore as hell for the next few days.

Out of shape and old. It sucks. My 19 year old son also started the 5 x 5 today (he has been working out for a while ) and thought it was lame to start with an empty bar but I convinced him to stick with the program as the weight will start to add up each time. Now it’s a day off and then squatting again on Wednesday but I know my old muscles and on the second day I will be really sore so adding only 5 pounds on Wednesday is going to be painful. Oh to be young and in shape once again.
    Never say that crap out loud. Your muscles can hear you and it gives them an excuse.

Congrats on the return. Suck it up for a couple weeks and things will get rolling faster than you think.

Good luck and keep posting.
    "I'm not a Ninja, but I played one on TV." -cmoore, American Ninja Warrior (ANW 7,8)

"Of all the things I lost during my cut, I miss my mind the most." -cmoore

Originally Posted by Nikonguy View Post
    Congrats! Going from zreo training to any training is good. The soreness will fade, even as you start adding weight to the bar.

Which 5x5 are you doing?
    I was not aware there was more than one 5 x 5. I got this one online from the stronglifts 5 x 5 web site.

It consists of Squat
    Bench
    Bent over rows on "A" days and
    Squat
    O.H. press and deadlift on "B" days working out 3 days a week.

ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Stick with it buck. The payback is immense.

I have bone spurs and arthritis in both of my knees and while squatting the empty bar it sounded like rice crispy cereal (Snap, Crackle and Pop) I was expecting knee pain but was pleasantly surprise at the lack of it. Sure my knees are noisy but its the hamstring pain thats really got me.

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    so, just out of Curiosity, OP, we know you have never squatted, but do you have any other prior history of training with weights?

and have you been physically active at all, besides that? ie: any sportss?
    Lift as MUCH as you can, for as MANY reps as you can,
    while in complete control of the exercise.

Originally Posted by JOHN GARGANI View Post
    so, just out of Curiosity, OP, we know you have never squatted, but do you have any other prior history of training with weights?

and have you been physically active at all, besides that? ie: any sportss?
    Back in college (nearly 30 years ago) I worked out at a gym but that’s it. I have not been physically active which is why last year I weighed 364 pounds. Now I weigh about 260. Since I have lost more than 100 pounds I have a desire to get stronger. I have never participated in any sports except archery and hunting.

Junkers88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Junkers88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Junkers88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Junkers88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Junkers88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Junkers88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Junkers88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Junkers88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Junkers88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Junkers88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Junkers88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Stick with it and good on ya for getting in the gym. I know how you feel about the soreness. I'm in my second week of a 5x5 program and I haven't' stopped being sore yet. Damn but it's a good feeling!

Keep it up!

GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    We all have to start somewhere. Some of us start higher and some of us lower. Just keep adding weight when you can and don't worry how much it is. You'll be squatting some serious weight by year's end.
    "Don't call me Miss Kitty. Just...don't."--Catnip. Check out the Catnip Trilogy on Amazon.com

"Chivalry isn't dead. It just wears a skirt."--Twisted, the YA gender bender deal of the century!

Check out my links to Mr. Taxi, Star Maps, and other fine YA Action/Romance novels at http://www.amazon.com/J.S.-Frankel/e/B004XUUTB8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Agreed and that is the goal but the stamina and recovery time was much better was I was young. Now staring at nearly 50 trips around the sun, I have to get used to DOMs that last a week.
    I can honestly say my stamina and recovery are better than when I was in my 20s. However, I just never hit my potential when I was younger.

With a consistent training program doms eventually go away or become rather minimal.
    Last edited by michail71; 02-19-2013 at 10:12 AM.

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Back in college (nearly 30 years ago) I worked out at a gym but that’s it. I have not been physically active which is why last year I weighed 364 pounds. Now I weigh about 260. Since I have lost more than 100 pounds I have a desire to get stronger. I have never participated in any sports except archery and hunting.

okay, this is great information to have here....I would like to return to this thread later tonight when I have more time, and add some more...

okay: BUCK: you should have mentioned your history from the get go....

with that in mind, although you have probably made a life saving move, you are not there yet....

so: a 5x5 is really all you should subject yourself to , for now.....I would continue with the weight loss also...

cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Lots of good support and feedback here. Just don't get discouraged by where you are starting- it only gets better from here as long as you stick with it. Might not be a bad idea to have a general physical though, and make sure there aren't any issues before you start training hard.
    My training journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150928103

Here it is 36 hours later and my legs are sore as hell. I mean really sore. Like it was really painful just ro sit or walk down steps. Today is supposed to be "B" day and squatting again. Do you guys tuff through the pain or wait and extra day?

paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Here it is 36 hours later and my legs are sore as hell. I mean really sore. Like it was really painful just ro sit or walk down steps. Today is supposed to be "B" day and squatting again. Do you guys tuff through the pain or wait and extra day?
    Some might tell you to go ahead and tough it out, but when I've been incredibly sore from a prior workout, I'll give myself a little more time to recover.
    paolo59

"If you're going through hell, keep going!" Winston Churchill

michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    That's normal in the beginning. I kind of enjoy it when it happens and like to get a nice deep tissue massage.

If you still have doms the next training day it is safe to work out. It actually makes the pain go away -- for a while.

reduni will become famous soon enough. (+50) reduni will become famous soon enough. (+50) reduni will become famous soon enough. (+50) reduni will become famous soon enough. (+50) reduni will become famous soon enough. (+50) reduni will become famous soon enough. (+50) reduni will become famous soon enough. (+50) reduni will become famous soon enough. (+50) reduni will become famous soon enough. (+50) reduni will become famous soon enough. (+50) reduni will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You'll definetly be sore for a few days considering you just started. I usually work through it. For me it actually helps reduce the pain. After a few workouts it should subside when your muscles become accustomed to the extra work(as in pain wont last as long afterwards) At least it does for me.

MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Believe it or not, you'll eventually grow to miss those killer DOMS ha ha. There's no DOMS quite like the first crippling few.

I actually enjoy lifting when I've got some DOMS going on - I find it to be excellent feedback when trying new things/improving form. For an example - if my pecs are sore, I'll often go back the day after and try a variety of pec exercises and use the instant-DOMS-feedback to see how they're 'hitting'. Sometimes it's hard to tell if something is working the 'correct' muscles but when you've got some DOMS going on you'll know right away if that muscle is being activated.

That's clear as mud, I know, but hopefully I explained it well enough. Good luck!
    330->210. Drop me a PM if you're just getting started and want some advice.
    Do what you love and you'll never workout a day in your life.