Buildin Muscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Buildin Muscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Buildin Muscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Buildin Muscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Buildin Muscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Buildin Muscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Buildin Muscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Buildin Muscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Flatten stomach? Even possible?

When I was in my early 20's I had surgery on my stomach known as a fundoplication.
    I have a scare that runs form the center of my mid chest down just past my naval.

Trying to flatten my stomach and tone my mid section has been an ongoing battle.
    After I turned 40, I found it nearly impossible to hide the fact that my mid-section has grown.
    I have that 'always blotted' look though I'm not.

So I have started back at the gym, focusing on core exercises, participating in gym offered classes to strengthen my abs.
    I'm also doing cardio to try and lose some weight and hopefully waist size.

The only supplement I am using is a multi-vitamin and Anabolic Stat to help with recovery.

Would love to hear suggestions from others that may have had similar surgeries.
    Newbie Alert!

Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I would love to find my flat stomach again too I'm doubtful on ever getting to a six pack again, but I'm confident I will get to something close.

When I was about 15 my splein was ruptured. Playing soccer! Who knew it could be so dangerous. As a result I had open abdominal surgery. The scar is a big T. It goes from just below my sternum to just below my naval. At about the center point of that incision is another perpendicual incision about 4 inches long. I can tell you that once it healed up it never caused any problems. I was in the army until I was 26 and my stomach was flat as a board. I never had a six pack, but my midsection was flat and strong. That tells me its possible to get what you are looking for. I imagine it will be a lot harder at 40 compared to 25 though.

I think the best you can do is excerise to strengthen your core and your whole body, lose the excess fat and see what what you get.

dunemonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) dunemonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) dunemonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) dunemonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) dunemonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) dunemonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) dunemonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) dunemonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) dunemonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) dunemonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) dunemonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Buildin Muscle View Post
    When I was in my early 20's I had surgery on my stomach known as a fundoplication.
    I have a scare that runs form the center of my mid chest down just past my naval.

Trying to flatten my stomach and tone my mid section has been an ongoing battle.
    After I turned 40, I found it nearly impossible to hide the fact that my mid-section has grown.

So I have started back at the gym, focusing on core exercises, participating in gym offered classes to strengthen my abs.

The only supplement I am using is a multi-vitamin and Anabolic Stat to help with recovery.

Well, from what I've read in the past, it sounds like you may be one of the types that carries more visceral fat (surrounding the internal organs) than subcutaneous fat (under the skin). Strengthening your core and abs will "suck it in" a bit, but ultimately, it will be about losing overall fat. It's just that in your (and other visceral fat carriers), that may be the last to go. I carry mine subcutaneously in the standard male patterns, so lovehandles are last to go for me.

As most will tell you, that part is diet, diet, diet. Go to the nutrition section and read all the stickies.

Most will think you'll do yourself justice also by getting on a beginner weight training program as well, and I agree. There are stickies about those in the workout section.

michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Mdenatale View Post
    I would love to find my flat stomach again too I'm doubtful on ever getting to a six pack again, but I'm confident I will get to something close.

When I was about 15 my splein was ruptured. Playing soccer! Who knew it could be so dangerous. As a result I had open abdominal surgery. The scar is a big T. It goes from just below my sternum to just below my naval. At about the center point of that incision is another perpendicual incision about 4 inches long. I can tell you that once it healed up it never caused any problems. I was in the army until I was 26 and my stomach was flat as a board. I never had a six pack, but my midsection was flat and strong. That tells me its possible to get what you are looking for. I imagine it will be a lot harder at 40 compared to 25 though.

I think the best you can do is exercise to strengthen your core and your whole body, lose the excess fat and see what what you get.
    It is very possible if you just get down to 10% ish body fat. It wasn't hard but just took time. If I can do it for the first time at age 41 anyone can.

I also have a scare from a spleen repair but it's not so noticeable.

muscleosirus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muscleosirus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muscleosirus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muscleosirus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muscleosirus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muscleosirus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muscleosirus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muscleosirus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muscleosirus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muscleosirus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muscleosirus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Interval training and plyos. Skipping rope works if you can do it. Tough skill to learn at an older age but I think it burns a ton of fat very quickly. 10X3 minute rounds 1 min rest in between sets.

Jrob69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jrob69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jrob69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jrob69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jrob69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jrob69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jrob69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jrob69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jrob69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jrob69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jrob69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by muscleosirus View Post
    Interval training and plyos. Skipping rope works if you can do it. Tough skill to learn at an older age but I think it burns a ton of fat very quickly. 10X3 minute rounds 1 min rest in between sets.
    About 45 calories per 3 minutes of moderate jumping. Not really any different than stationary cycling. Skill and older age for jump roping? I suppose if you cant chew gum and walk

olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I Have undergone 2 umbilical hernia surgeries (one at age 20 and another at age 39) They implanted a mesh behind my belly button and another after the first ruptured. Like you I doubt I will get a flat stomach or 6 pack but I will try to get as close as I can to that given my circumstances.

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

just curious, OP, as you have said nothing about actually lifting weights...can you clarify?
    Lift as MUCH as you can, for as MANY reps as you can,
    while in complete control of the exercise.

Buildin Muscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Buildin Muscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Buildin Muscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Buildin Muscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Buildin Muscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Buildin Muscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Buildin Muscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Buildin Muscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by JOHN GARGANI View Post
    just curious, OP, as you have said nothing about actually lifting weights...can you clarify?
    The only weight lifting I'm doing is a ring of weight machines at my local gym.
    I get bored of weight lifting very quickly and would rather attend BodyPump classes which involves weights.
    Newbie Alert!

muscleosirus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muscleosirus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muscleosirus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muscleosirus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muscleosirus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muscleosirus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muscleosirus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muscleosirus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muscleosirus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muscleosirus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muscleosirus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Jrob69 View Post
    About 45 calories per 3 minutes of moderate jumping. Not really any different than stationary cycling. Skill and older age for jump roping? I suppose if you cant chew gum and walk
    You get what you put in it. The faster and longer you jump the more you burn.

themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I dont see that surgery preventing you from getting a flat stomach what will is not getting your Body Fat low enough. Most men need to get to 10% of less to see the abs they want.

I had heart surgery less than one year ago and my stomach is pretty flat. Yeah it looks a bit odd and you can see some lumps that are scar tissue.
    Resident smart arse and grammar fool....instagram: heartandfitness

Open Heart Surgery on May 26, 2012. My life goal is to educate and inspire other heart patients. Medical study for new heart patient drugs to start in January 2013. If you have a family history of heart disease please get your blood tested ASAP and your kids. It could save their life.

Finally accused of juicin Corbi's Avatar
    Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by michail71 View Post

I also have a scare from a spleen repair but it's not so noticeable.
    Repair? Didn't know they even did that? Mine was yanked out due to a car accident when I was 19, lovely scar too.
    "You know that little thing in your head that keeps you from saying things you shouldn't? Yeah, well, I don't have one of those."

...Keeping strong! HumblyMuscles's Avatar
    HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm SCARED to get my Spleen repaired too!!
    People asking questions lost in confusion, Well I tell them there's no problem,
    Only solutions... John Lennon

If the mind can conceive, the body can achieve.

My best genetic bodypart is my Mind...

++Positive Crew++

4th Dan Black Belt Taekwondo ( W.T.F. ) Former Instructor

Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The only weight lifting I'm doing is a ring of weight machines at my local gym.
    I get bored of weight lifting very quickly and would rather attend BodyPump classes which involves weights.
    I did Body Pump and TRX last year while on Weight Watchers, and lost a lot of fat, some muscle too of course, until my rotator cuff finally gave out. Body Pump is a good program for building endurance and burning fat, and a modicum of strength and size. Along with that and diet, you should be able to get rid of the fat.
    "Go home, have a beer and smash something. That's what I would do" - Unknown (but probably Thor).

scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OP. I see the pic you have on bodyspace of the stomach, so I see what you're trying to say. I think honestly your best bet would be to build some wider shoulders and back. This plus lowering bodyfat some more will make the stomach appear smaller. It's not really that you're "fat" but your shoulders are very narrow compared to your waist.
    You rock a piss, I'm gonna rock some Mitchell

pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I have a large scar down the middle of my belly due to having 20 cms of my colon removed when I was 38.

Losing fat has made the scar much less noticeable.

As far as flattening the tummy, I find that good old fashioned core works best. I recommend planks, side planks, and the best of all, the old school ab wheelie.

Ray
    Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven... so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. Matt. 6: 1-4

themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by scullin View Post
    OP. I see the pic you have on bodyspace of the stomach, so I see what you're trying to say. I think honestly your best bet would be to build some wider shoulders and back. This plus lowering bodyfat some more will make the stomach appear smaller. It's not really that you're "fat" but your shoulders are very narrow compared to your waist.
    I have a wide waist from years of heavy deads and narrow shoulders it makes me appear fatter than I am. Or at least that is what I tell myself.

Originally Posted by pastorgbc View Post
    I have a large scar down the middle of my belly due to having 20 cms of my colon removed when I was 38.

Losing fat has made the scar much less noticeable.

As far as flattening the tummy, I find that good old fashioned core works best. I recommend planks, side planks, and the best of all, the old school ab wheelie.

Ray
    Fan of the wheel myself lolz.

Open Heart Surgery on May 26, 2012. My life goal is to educate and inspire other heart patients. Medical study for new heart patient drugs to start in January 2013. If you have a family history of heart disease please get your blood tested ASAP and your kids. It could save their life.

Registered User PersonaNonGrata's Avatar
    PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000)
    10% gym, 90% kitchen - abs are easy

if only gaining muscle was as simple!

QKal will become famous soon enough. (+50) QKal will become famous soon enough. (+50) QKal will become famous soon enough. (+50) QKal will become famous soon enough. (+50) QKal will become famous soon enough. (+50) QKal will become famous soon enough. (+50) QKal will become famous soon enough. (+50) QKal will become famous soon enough. (+50) QKal will become famous soon enough. (+50) QKal will become famous soon enough. (+50) QKal will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've never had a flat stomach but would like to before I hit 40 in a year! Help!!!!

GKC45 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GKC45 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GKC45 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GKC45 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GKC45 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GKC45 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GKC45 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GKC45 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GKC45 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GKC45 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GKC45 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    ^see post #18

Originally Posted by PersonaNonGrata View Post
    10% gym, 90% kitchen - abs are easy

if only gaining muscle was as simple!
    I think that all depends on genetics. For me abs were never easy. But gaining muscle was not either.