RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

my situation with basketball

so im graduated from high school, but think i really have a shot at playing basketball in college. im going to try out for the team, but its gonna be very hard because theres only 1 tryout. so basically, i used to be a benchwarmer in high school , but i had some minutes here and there, but i really think i didnt utilize my full potential. Up until the last year, i didn't know much about athletic training. I really love basketball and really missed my opportunity to play in high school. I'm 6 foot and almost 150 lbs atm, and when i feel good i can hang onto the rim with 2 hands. Do you guys think i have a good shot at making the team next year? and if yes, what are some specific things i really need to work on to get to the next level of basketball?

RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    but ye.... i want to use the most out of my athletic potential, and i know its gonna take hard work. im also worried that it may affect my grades, which are very high right now. anyone have any advice for me? I also lift 4 times a week and am on babylovers starting strength

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    focus on your grades. Starting Strength isnt going to turn you into a collegiate basketball player.
    It isnt that you are a bad basketballplayer, you warmed the high school bench so you arent going to go on to the next level.

Just play intramural basketball and move on with your life.

Dumbfound has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Don't give up

A big part of it depends on what school you are at. If you are attempting to walk on at a division 1 school they may need a high caliber player. At my school there are two kids who play intramural a and windmill and put it between their legs. And can shoot the **** out of the ball and still can't walk on. But don't give up its definitely worth a shot

Originally Posted by Dumbfound View Post
    A big part of it depends on what school you are at. If you are attempting to walk on at a division 1 school they may need a high caliber player. At my school there are two kids who play intramural a and windmill and put it between their legs. And can shoot the **** out of the ball and still can't walk on. But don't give up its definitely worth a shot
    o, lol, that wont be a problem then. i live in canada and lets just say that the basketball talent here is sub par lol. im pretty such that the team would hurry to sign up those 2 kids you speak of if they did go to my college lol. but anyway, yea, imma start playing a lot more, but really looking on ways to improve. right now, i really have to improve on everything involved with my weak hand. in general though, i also need to work on my driving to the rim too and being able to finish. i do well in pick up games, but i have the hardest time playing 1 on 1 because im not very physical sometimes and i suck at driving. but other then that, i have to work on everything.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by RearDeltoids View Post
    , i have to work on everything.
    which is even more reason to play intramural basketball instead of trying out for a competitive team. You start throwing up 30+ points a game in intramurals, go out for the school's team.

terris_32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) terris_32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) terris_32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) terris_32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) terris_32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) terris_32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) terris_32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) terris_32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) terris_32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) terris_32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) terris_32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    so im graduated from high school, but think i really have a shot at playing basketball in college. im going to try out for the team, but its gonna be very hard because theres only 1 tryout. so basically, i used to be a benchwarmer in high school , but i had some minutes here and there, but i really think i didnt utilize my full potential. Up until the last year, i didn't know much about athletic training. I really love basketball and really missed my opportunity to play in high school. I'm 6 foot and almost 150 lbs atm, and when i feel good i can hang onto the rim with 2 hands. Do you guys think i have a good shot at making the team next year? and if yes, what are some specific things i really need to work on to get to the next level of basketball?
    Sounds like you have the fundamentals of the athletic ability you will need to compete, but playing basketball at the competitive level of any division of collegiate ball takes much more than being just athletic. Focus on working on good court sense and ball handling skills depending on what position you decide you would be the best fit for. For example, if you want to be a post player, start working on good fundamental post moves and finishing inside the paint under pressure. If you want to be a perimeter player, focus on outside shooting, ball handling, and PASSING.

And most of all just scrimmage and shoot as much as you can along with your lifting regimen. Sounds like your on the right track, don't let anyone tell you that you can't, keep in mind, Michael Jordan tried out for his high school varsity team when he was a sophomore and was passed over for his friend, who was also a sophomore. He responded by averaging 40 points a game on JV and his next to years on varsity became the star and eventually was elected to be on the Mcdonald's All-American team.

GOOD LUCK
    Remember, whether you think you can or you think you can't......you're right.
    -Stewie Griffin

westgateok has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) westgateok has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) westgateok has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) westgateok has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) westgateok has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) westgateok has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I will give you my 2 cents on the topic. I played some college ball, and had a similiar build when I tried out (5'11" 155lbs) The biggest thing that I noticed right away is that it is a much more physical game at the college level. Guys are stronger, they are bigger, and they are smarter on the court. In high school i was a decent athlete, but when I stepped on to that court for tryouts I was an average athelete at best. This actually worked in my favor because it pushed me so much harder than I had ever been able to push myself before. The good news is that you have a ton of time to get ready for next season.

Big things to really focus on:
    -Ball handling: everyone in college is quick, they are athletic and they can dribble. Be ready for that, dont expect to be able to do the same old crap and tear people up out there. There are tons of drills you can do to help, but I just played tons of pick up ball on top of that
    -Strength: You need to get stronger, and preferably gain some weight. At my size I was the smallest 2 guard in my division (In high school I was one of the bigger 2 guards) Most of the guys I went up against were 6'4"+ and 205lbs+ This can be intimidating but whatever, just do what you have to do
    -Court smarts: One of the reasons that I ended up playing a fair amount of minutes is that I paid attention to what was happening on the court, and knew where my team mates liked to score from ( you set people up for easy buckets and the coach will love you) My biggest strength in college was that I made very few mistakes and that is huge
    -Confidence: If you go out there with any lack of confidence you will get torn up. When we tried out there were a couple of guys there who walked out onto the court for drills and you could just see the fear and anxiety in their eyes. Those guys barely made it through the first day of tryouts, and we never saw them again. Coaches want to see confidence in players

thanks everyone. and yea, im bulking up definitely, looking to squat at least 1.5x my bodyweight 3x5 soon. Gotta work on my weak hand ball handling too, and yea, i play a lot pick up and trying to pick up some confidence

Trey19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Trey19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    At your height you would be playing the guard position, especially point guard. If you want to be able to compete at a high level you will have to really work on your ball handling. That is very important for point guards. You will also need to work on your shooting, vertical jump, quickness, etc....

TSFP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TSFP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TSFP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TSFP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TSFP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TSFP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TSFP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TSFP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TSFP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TSFP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TSFP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Trey19 View Post
    At your height you would be playing the guard position, especially point guard. If you want to be able to compete at a high level you will have to really work on your ball handling. That is very important for point guards. You will also need to work on your shooting, vertical jump, quickness, etc....
    strong this. you gotta be comfortable handling the rock OP.
    Take nothing for granted and enjoy life as a whole, the ups and downs, its all part of the ride and makes us who we are. -saffaBRAH (RIP)

--♥♥--♥♥--TEAM MISC BIG C SUPPORT--♥♥--♥♥--

RIP mainsqueeze530 1991-2013

SACRAMENTO KINGS

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

Starting weight: 119

cobrajet31266 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey man I only played a year of high school basketball and got a scholarship to play college so any thing is possible but having experience playing all I can say is work on your game and lift weights. I never realized how college is so much different then high school every thing is so much faster and all your opponents will be bigger and stronger. Just keep the faith and don't give up I'm currently planning on going back to school after a three year break and I plan on playing again so its always possible to do the things you want to do all it takes is hard work

Berez is on a distinguished road. (+10) Berez is on a distinguished road. (+10) Berez is on a distinguished road. (+10) Berez is on a distinguished road. (+10) Berez is on a distinguished road. (+10) Berez is on a distinguished road. (+10) Berez is on a distinguished road. (+10) Berez is on a distinguished road. (+10) Berez is on a distinguished road. (+10) Berez is on a distinguished road. (+10) Berez is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    strong stats scrub. (SRS)

Originally Posted by Berez View Post
    strong stats scrub. (SRS)
    nice red....

but yea guys, i'm progressively getting stronger and still trying to work on my ball handling. i really wanna be a guard, but ive never been the most confident with my dribbling abilities.

nice red....

but yea guys, i'm progressively getting stronger and still trying to work on my ball handling. i really wanna be a guard, but ive never been the most confident with my dribbling abilities.
    Most college teams would love to recruit someone under 6 feet tall with poor ball handling skills.

Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    Most college teams would love to recruit someone under 6 feet tall with poor ball handling skills.
    damn... you harsh nigguh. i think i'm 6'0 or maybe even 6'1 in shoes though, and my ball handling was above average back in high school. i said i was a bench warmer, but throughout the season i had my games where i was doing well and the coach gave me a lot of minutes. well, in those games i've never lost turned the ball over from dribbling.

but thats why i said i had to work on my ball handling though, cuz above average is probably not gonna do the job.

anyways, been practicing pretty hard, trying to especially focus on my dribbling, driving, and finishing(layups). anyone wanna give me more advice on how to become a top class ball handler?

NavidS is not very well liked. (-100) NavidS is not very well liked. (-100) NavidS is not very well liked. (-100) NavidS is not very well liked. (-100) NavidS is not very well liked. (-100) NavidS is not very well liked. (-100) NavidS is not very well liked. (-100) NavidS is not very well liked. (-100) NavidS is not very well liked. (-100) NavidS is not very well liked. (-100) NavidS is not very well liked. (-100)
    Go YouTube nike signature moves. Ball outta control and show them who's boss.

Trey19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Trey19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Also watch videos of great ball handlers and point guards very often so you have an idea in your head of the level of ball handling ability you want to achieve.

Originally Posted by Trey19 View Post
    Also watch videos of great ball handlers and point guards very often so you have an idea in your head of the level of ball handling ability you want to achieve.
    yea, i've been watching more college and NBA games, gotta concentrate on getting good footage of the greats like cp3, d rose, j wall, scalabrine, ronny turiaf, etc

wow, had the worst session of pick up game in a while , was horrible. lost almost every game , and my teammates were so bad. i hate it when my teammates just try to force things and always demand the ball. one guy was truly a cancer to our team and f*cked it up even worse.

77sem77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Indeed, the most important is to focus on the grades.