newrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

turning 50: working out advice

GOAL: to lose fat but maintain my bodyweight but redistribute fat to lean bodyweight ratio.
    I'm a male (5'10" at 200lbs) turning 50 this summer. i hv been working out w/weights since i was 16.
    i've suffered from some shoulder tendinitis (not a full blown rotator cuff injury). just a healed lesion now-- but i still hv to b careful.
    i take inject 75ml's of Testosterone-E per week for HRT and to help me with a mood disorder.
    i stopped exercising 'cause i hated my gym.
    i've been eating terribly for a while now. i'm prone to binge at night.
    i found a new gym and will resume training-- but it's been a while and i'm not sure how to proceed: i'd appreciate informed advice.
    i want to work out every other day.
    i want to do cardio every other day after my workout: a combination of HIT and regular depending on how i feel. 20-30min's per session. (i'll need to build back up to HIT).
    i think i just want to stick to machines using circuit training for the time being: the whole body, 3 circuits 3 x week.
    i don't want to count calories or weigh food.
    i try to eat every 3-4 hours: high protein with a complex carb and good fat. lots of water. no beef or pork. i am considering going back to vegetarianism.
    i use a (natural = Stevia) whey protein and supplement with vitamins, creatine and glutamine.
    ~
    is training the body 3xper week on a circuit of 3 sets per machine too much?
    how many rounds should i do of the circuit and how many sets and reps?
    i was thinking 3 rounds per circuit and 3 sets per exercise (after a few sets of warm up on the first round of the circuit).
    ~
    thanks
    ~
    oh, btw, i've been getting some really strange replies. it's one reason i haven't used this site in years.
    Last edited by newrob; 02-18-2013 at 11:19 PM. Reason: mistakes

ric1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ric1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ric1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ric1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ric1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ric1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ric1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ric1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ric1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ric1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ric1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    As a 59-year-old woman, I would say, try to work out every day. Don't waste all your energies trying to get a boyfriend. Don't hang out at bars. And if you date any guy and they put you down in any way (weight, looks, intelligence, being a woman, etc.) DUMP HIM IMMEDIATELY. Think of your future, put into that 401K even if you have bills, because you will ALWAYS have bills. Further your education in many directions, so you will be adaptable as the economy changes.

IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by newrob View Post
    i stopped exercising 'cause i hated my gym.
    If that's all it takes for you to stop exercising, then I don't think you're all that committed to a fit lifestyle.

To achieve your goal of maintaining the same bodyweight? No.
    ★DSC★
    ★MISC Cologne Crew★
    ★4200 cals a day crew★
    ★Squat Booty Sorority Fan Club★
    ★Forum Member #109,914,313★

► ► ►Dirty South Crew gear: https://www.zazzle.com/s/thedirtysouthlifts ◄ ◄ ◄ (Proceeds go to children's charities)

PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000)
    i take 75mg via self injection of testosterone-e per week for hrt
    Originally Posted by ric1990 View Post
    don't waste all your energies trying to get a boyfriend.
    wtf?
    * ʍǝɹɔ ǝıssnɐ *

BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000)
    If binge eating is a problem you need to get off the sugar rollercoaster. Try a low carb or keto diet (there's a whole forum under Nutrition dedicated to keto). Sugar and other processed carbs can induce a drug-like state in people by elevating serotonin levels. Eat meat, eggs and green veggies for at least two weeks and evaluate how you feel.
    If you don't like the gym there are other ways of working out. You can do a lot with bodyweight even in your own home. Google bodyweight exercises.
    Current log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149169243

Now cutting!

newrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What!

as a 59-year-old woman, i would say, try to work out every day. Don't waste all your energies trying to get a boyfriend. Don't hang out at bars. And if you date any guy and they put you down in any way (weight, looks, intelligence, being a woman, etc.) dump him immediately. Think of your future, put into that 401k even if you have bills, because you will always have bills. Further your education in many directions, so you will be adaptable as the economy changes.

Originally Posted by IronCharles View Post
    If that's all it takes for you to stop exercising, then I don't think you're all that committed to a fit lifestyle.

thanks for jumping to an incorrect conclusion!

To achieve your goal of maintaining the same bodyweight? No.
    and why would you say this?

IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz
    and why would you say this?
    Because full body circuit training three times a week with cardio after isn't going to give you any appreciable muscle. You might lose some body fat, if you don't eat any more food than you normally do. If you really want to lose fat, eat less calories than you burn.

And I stand by my assessment of you. If you're not comfy in the gym, and you quit because of it, then I'm not convinced you have the fire necessary to succeed. Prove me wrong!

I'm adding this thread to my bookmarks. I'll bump it in a year to see if you're even still around.
    ★DSC★
    ★MISC Cologne Crew★
    ★4200 cals a day crew★
    ★Squat Booty Sorority Fan Club★
    ★Forum Member #109,914,313★

► ► ►Dirty South Crew gear: https://www.zazzle.com/s/thedirtysouthlifts ◄ ◄ ◄ (Proceeds go to children's charities)

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Best test boosters are:

The natural saturated fats in meat, whole milk, whole eggs. And plenty of sleep.

The best test suppressants are:

Thinking you should be near the bottom of the food chain on some kind of low fat diet. And long slow distance cardio.

HIT =/= HIIT.

The first is complete nonsense promoted by a drug addicted Mike Mentzer who didn't even use it to get his great physique.

The second is High Intensity Interval Training for cardio. A couple sessions a week is fine.

Strength training isn't about circuit training, which is a form of cardio/conditioning.

A strength and muscle building program based on big basic barbell movements is indicated:

All Pro's Simple Beginner Routine for the next YEAR(10 cycles).

You don't do cardio for fat loss. You do it for cardiovascular health. Excessive cardio can be catabolic, so you lose muscle.

Much easier to push away a large donut than to run several miles afterward to try and burn off fat.
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

Beyond novice, 5 3 1 or see above:)

Unless it is obvious to anyone who isn't blind that you lift weights, you might still benefit from a little more attention to big basic barbell exercises for enough reps:).

pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OP,you seem to have not been paying attention over the years.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post456265301

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post466560801

You say you don't want to count calories or weigh food. Remember this?

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...1#post73529593

ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    As a 59-year-old woman, I would say, try to work out every day. Don't waste all your energies trying to get a boyfriend. Don't hang out at bars. And if you date any guy and they put you down in any way (weight, looks, intelligence, being a woman, etc.) DUMP HIM IMMEDIATELY. Think of your future, put into that 401K even if you have bills, because you will ALWAYS have bills. Further your education in many directions, so you will be adaptable as the economy changes.
    Just had to make you green again. It brought teh lulz!!!
    Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

I has a PHmuthaf'nD in Broscience!

ntrllftr > azstrengthlosscouchpotato

Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by IronCharles View Post

I'm adding this thread to my bookmarks. I'll bump it in a year to see if you're even still around.
    he'll be here, and will have made 5 more posts: 46 posts in 9 years
    Don't put that on me Ricky Bobby, don't you ever put that on me.

HoboHank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I tried a total body-circuit training routine- just 2 exercises bodypart. Reps high 8-15. Quick & intense. I need 48hrs rest between workouts minimum. (When I did a better routine late 20's early 30's rest time was shorter.)Only cardio I needed with that workout was walking about a mile a day or more.
    Go by how you feel. Trust it! I have no set routine! It changes constantly as far as rest- rep scheme go..
    I don't mix protein & carbs in same meal. It's helped in my digestion & absorbtion of foods better ( a digestive enzyme I take helps withe the protein meals).
    Most of all don't dump on yourself... be flexible & forgiving. This is a life experience that changes as we age.
    Read Dave Draper's weekly newsletter, it's great for giving perspective for the aging lifter. Don't quit!

tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    GOAL: to lose fat but maintain my bodyweight but redistribute fat to lean bodyweight ration. I'm a male (5'10" at 200lbs) turning 49 this summer. i hv been working out w/weights since i was 16. i look 15 yrs younger than my age; maybe good genes. i've suffered from some shoulder tendinitis (not a full blown rotator cuff injury). just a healed lesion now-- but i still hv to b careful. i take 75mg via self injection of Testosterone-E per week for HRT and to help me with a mood disorder. i stopped exercising 'cause i hated my gym. i've been eating terribly for a while now. i'm prone to binge at night. i found a new gym and would like to resume training-- but it's been a while and i'm not sure how to proceed: i'd appreciate informed advice/opinions:
    i want to work out every other day.
    i want to do cardio every other day after my workout: a combination of HIT and regular depending on how i feel. 20-30min's per session. (i'll need to build back up to HIT).
    i think i just want to stick to machines using circuit training: the whole body, 3 circuits 3 x week.
    i don't want to count calories or weigh food.
    i try to eat every 3-4 hours: high protein, complex carb and good fat. lots of water. no beef or pork.
    i use a (natural) whey protein and supplement with vitamins, creatine and glutamine.
    ~
    how many rounds should i do of the circuit and how many sets and reps?
    i was thinking 3 rounds per circuit and 3 sets per exercise (after a few sets of warm up on the first round of the circuit).
    ~
    thanks

in on one of the strangest threads in a long while

good luck at your ... goals op

why did u write this. it's really bizarre.

it's standard in bodybuilding nutrition to eat frequent small meals with a combination of protein, carbs and good fat. protein slows the absorption of glycogen.

Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Some things from an over 40 guy from my experience

1) Why HIT? Whatever training you plan make sure you can continue it for some time... make sure it works well for your joints and body. HIT after weights seems to be added injury risk in the long haul and taking away recovery time.
    2) Not sure what rotator exercises you are rehabbing on but check out the rotator section here... I never knew it's a must for long term lifting--I now do some simple exercises every week.
    3) I tended to binge for several reasons: my calories were too low and I got hungry as hell or my macros were off... if my carbs were low I craved sugar, if my fat was low I craved chips... Make sure you are set
    4) You are not a competetive bb so I would suggest eating foods you really like and not trying to cram 'diet' foods down your throat like some people do.
    5) If you don't want to even guesstimate calories it's going to be a struggle. There's few jobs so active you can eat whatever you want when you want w/no knowledge of calories and succeed. If you don't at least have some idea of calories then there is no way to tell if you are under/over your daily requirements and you can't make adjustments.

GL!

Old Man Yelling at Cloud -=FLEX=-'s Avatar
    -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Strong. First. Post.
    Insta: flexjs

Perseverance, Inc.

Spring Supremacy 2018 - 620/345/615 @ 50 yrs old

RIP Gene Rychlak

Brad805 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brad805 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brad805 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brad805 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brad805 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brad805 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brad805 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brad805 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brad805 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brad805 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brad805 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i hv been working out w/weights since i was 16.
    Threads like these never go well when you claim to have been working at it so long. Kudos on the use of the ~ symbol by the way. :P

Not too many ever read long winded eating habits, so the cliff notes usually suffice. A simple cal/C/P/F breakdown is much better. Only you can fix the eating problems.

Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    it's standard in bodybuilding nutrition to eat frequent small meals .
    Can you back this up with a scientific study?

Any of the guys on IF, will disagree with this. Truth is frequent meals is a PITA, if you know your macros requirements it doesn't really matter when you eat them during the day.
    Last edited by Get-n-fit; 02-19-2013 at 01:05 PM.
    Lift light until you can lift right

BW 220: S:650 B:435 D:615 IG: tourostrengthtraining