lstultz1010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Pull-Ups for bigger guys

Was wondering if anyone had some advice or tips to getting higher reps on pull-ups. I weigh 212 and it's a definite struggle to do pull-ups. Lat pull downs simply aren't cutting it for me. So does anyone have their own tips or techniques? Curious to know. Thanks

brianpancow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brianpancow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brianpancow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brianpancow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brianpancow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brianpancow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brianpancow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brianpancow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brianpancow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brianpancow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brianpancow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You just have to get those muscles used to it. The lat pull downs are helping you with this, but you have to actually do pull-ups to start seeing more reps. Have you tried using the pull-up assist machine? This will help you get used to them better, and overtime you are doing more reps without any need of assistance. I honestly don't know you're fitness level, but hope it helps.

Originally Posted by brianpancow View Post
    You just have to get those muscles used to it. The lat pull downs are helping you with this, but you have to actually do pull-ups to start seeing more reps. Have you tried using the pull-up assist machine? This will help you get used to them better, and overtime you are doing more reps without any need of assistance. I honestly don't know you're fitness level, but hope it helps.
    Thanks Brian. I do use the assist machine often, but when I switch to just the bar I can at most manage 3 or 4 on a good day. I've always been an athlete, but it's been years since a organized sport. I recently got back into the gym about 3 months ago and have been dedicated and committed. It's my daily routine now, but definitely far off from my sporting days. I'll keep continuing what I'm doing and keep pushing through.

JamesMontana will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamesMontana will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamesMontana will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamesMontana will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamesMontana will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamesMontana will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamesMontana will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamesMontana will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamesMontana will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamesMontana will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamesMontana will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Grab a training partner and have them assist you either by pushing up on the small of your back, or bend your knees and they can push upwards on your ankles (make sure they let go of your ankles before you let go of the bar).

esp13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) esp13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) esp13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    negatives

notcameron is not very helpful. (-500) notcameron is not very helpful. (-500) notcameron is not very helpful. (-500) notcameron is not very helpful. (-500) notcameron is not very helpful. (-500) notcameron is not very helpful. (-500) notcameron is not very helpful. (-500) notcameron is not very helpful. (-500) notcameron is not very helpful. (-500) notcameron is not very helpful. (-500) notcameron is not very helpful. (-500)
    drop some fat gain some muscle
    - Enjoys playing with my nutsack crew -

seanfl02 will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanfl02 will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanfl02 will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanfl02 will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanfl02 will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanfl02 will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanfl02 will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanfl02 will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanfl02 will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanfl02 will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanfl02 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    negatives worked for me too

jonstosik is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonstosik is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonstosik is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonstosik is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonstosik is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonstosik is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonstosik is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonstosik is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonstosik is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonstosik is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonstosik is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Negatives did and are still doing wonders for me. Other common suggestions include using a chair - put one foot on the chair and use your leg to assist should you need it, also using a resistance band underneath the bar to assist. Though these are both just other ways of creating a makeshift assisted pullup machine.

Increasing weights in other back exercises should help with pullups indirectly as well.
    Cutting to 10% body fat

Starting weight January 2012 - 110kg (242lbs)
    Cut down to 88.5kg (195lbs)
    Currently 98.5kg (217lbs) (Approx. 18% bodyfat)

bishdipbrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bishdipbrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bishdipbrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bishdipbrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bishdipbrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bishdipbrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bishdipbrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bishdipbrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bishdipbrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bishdipbrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bishdipbrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Check out chad Waterbury plp op. Maybe just use that for the pull ups.

JohnRainbo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JohnRainbo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JohnRainbo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JohnRainbo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JohnRainbo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JohnRainbo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JohnRainbo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JohnRainbo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JohnRainbo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JohnRainbo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JohnRainbo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Don't let your poundage be an excuse for not doing them. I weigh 200 and have been doing a minimum of 25 lbs weighted for reps of ten. So the weight isn't your enemy.

As others have said, the assist machine is a great place to start. I started there with just a little assistance, and stayed on it until I could get out fifty reps. Not in a row, but I would keep doing as many sets as it took until the total reached 50. Really helped out a lot.

I feel pull ups are the one thing you need to stick with. It is as if you can get bad at them if you don't do them every week.
    "You can always be thinner... look better"
    Patrick Bateman

IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    For me, what worked best was actually working on lever pullup progressions. If you think about it, a lever is the same exact type of strain on the lats as a normal pullup, just moreso because you hold your arm straight instead of allowing your elbow to bend. I have found that because of working lever pullups, I can suddenly slam out sets of 10+ normal pullups no problem.

jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Negatives. Pullups are still a work in profess for me @250 but I am getting there.

Originally Posted by JohnRainbo View Post
    Don't let your poundage be an excuse for not doing them. I weigh 200 and have been doing a minimum of 25 lbs weighted for reps of ten. So the weight isn't your enemy.

As others have said, the assist machine is a great place to start. I started there with just a little assistance, and stayed on it until I could get out fifty reps. Not in a row, but I would keep doing as many sets as it took until the total reached 50. Really helped out a lot.

I feel pull ups are the one thing you need to stick with. It is as if you can get bad at them if you don't do them every week.
    Exactly what my brothers told me too.

I appreciate all the input fellas. Thanks for your time.

igregie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) igregie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) igregie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) igregie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm pretty overweight for my age and height, but I still manage to do 3 sets of 10 doing pull ups.
    Of course, they are spotted reps where my partner would push me up to get out of the "sticky point."

JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by lstultz1010 View Post
    Was wondering if anyone had some advice or tips to getting higher reps on pull-ups. I weigh 212 and it's a definite struggle to do pull-ups. Lat pull downs simply aren't cutting it for me. So does anyone have their own tips or techniques? Curious to know. Thanks
    Highest i've ever been is 230 so i dont consider myself "big", but we are similar weight now so thought i would chime in. It sucks just being honest. What helped alot is frequency for me, never going to failure.
    AverageToSavagePL ---> Logging Avatar Nutrition and Juggernaut Method
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170942461&p=1433119761#post1433119761

BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Add weight.
    I've found that adding 10 to 20lbs has very little impact on how many reps you can do (if you are only capable of a few reps in the first place).
    So, If you can only do 4 reps in a set, add 20 lbs and get 3. Do a bunch of mini sets of 3 like this, alternating grips and dropping weight as neccessarry. Go for around 30reps total. Do it twice a week.
    After about a month, test your max unweighted reps.. Betcha you'll have more now. Betcha you're also capable of weighted sets of 4 now.

Negatives never did a damn thing for me and neither did trying to tack on more struggling unweighted reps. Keep the reps low and heavy performing them as explosively as possible until you are capable of knocking out about 10 unweighted.

/myexperience
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅] Equipment Crew #57 [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]

[]──[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #26 []──[]

❍--❍ York Barbell Club #34 ❍--❍

☆☆☆ That On3 Cr3w That Has Too Much Pow3r Cr3w ☆☆☆

papty123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) papty123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) papty123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) papty123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) papty123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) papty123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) papty123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) papty123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) papty123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) papty123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) papty123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    "I weigh 212 and it's a definite struggle to do pull-ups."

I wish I weighed this much so I wouldn't have to use a dipping belt!