Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Keltron View Post
    Good list but I disagree on one point. If sitting isn't interfering, I don't think it's unprofessional. If I don't NEED to stand, why should I have to do it? Granted, if I need to move around to watch form on all angles or if I need to spot then OK. But If I'm coaching someone on Clean and Jerks, I don't need to stand. 9/10 I will probably stand just because I don't have much reason to sit but in that case, if I wanted to sit for whatever reason, I don't think I should be deemed lazy.
    If you have your own studio and clients are cool with it, then it's what you choose to do. I know that whenever I see a trainer sitting down my first thought is that they are lazy and they should get off their ass. Especially at a chain gym where everyone is watching the trainer. If you're trying to build a business the first thing potential clients are going to watch for is focus, interaction and attentiveness.

The guy I fired years ago (partially) for doing this just didn't get the hint. Whenever he was sitting on something I would actually walk up to him and say "I need to use that" and take it away. Benches, balls, even once I moved him off of a machine. But he was a lazy POS and then he wondered why nobody wanted to hire him.

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Olympic weightlifting coaches tend to sit the whole time their athletes are in there.

But then, weightlifting coaches tend not to do much actual coaching, they sit there silently. So they may as well be somewhere they can doze off.

Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Keltron View Post
    Good list but I disagree on one point. If sitting isn't interfering, I don't think it's unprofessional. If I don't NEED to stand, why should I have to do it? Granted, if I need to move around to watch form on all angles or if I need to spot then OK. But If I'm coaching someone on Clean and Jerks, I don't need to stand. 9/10 I will probably stand just because I don't have much reason to sit but in that case, if I wanted to sit for whatever reason, I don't think I should be deemed lazy.
    Agreed.

It's dependent on the session itself. If it's a weightlifting session with a guy who you have high rapport with for example, and there are scheduled rest periods where you can literally sit and discuss technique pointers whilst they catch their breath and recover before the next set, that's fine. You don't need to stand to talk about that stuff. Obviously when you physically demonstrate a part of a movement etc. you get up and show them, but you do not have to stand all day and night. It actually looks stupid if you're running around like a headless chook, if it doesn't suit the style of the session or the client. Some people want the slower, more verbal style of coaching and the relaxed style of session.

Others however might need that visual motivation and spurring on, in which you do keep a bit more active and animated throughout. You must mood read and match what you think they want, in terms of pacing. I even ask that to be honest in the consult process. "Do you prefer a slower methodical more explanitory coach, or a drill sargeant who just tells you what to do and when, or combos of both?" etc. etc. It's an important aspect that we often overlook.

If I acted like i do when i'm around say a young female doing a high intensity cardio session who needs heaps of verbal and physical motivation, when i'm around my masculine weightlifting boys doing the bodybuilding style sessions, they'd think i'm a weirdo and to stop taking the pills.

End of the day, you're there to help THAT person during THAT session. What others think is irrelevant imo (onlookers/members who don't even do PT). If they judge negatively, without experiencing a session for themselves, then we typically don't wanna deal with a person with that mentality now do we?

Also the studio type plays a part. We run a very small intimate and private studio where things are treated casually and social.

Firing someone for sitting down during a session is absolute horse****.Firing someone for being lazy and complacent, yes, absolutely, but not for sitting. You can quite easily sit, or kneel next to someone, whilst still doing your job. The old "bring your body down to their level during their set" applies.
    advertising/self-promotion not permitted

Come at me, bro! foodandfitness's Avatar
    foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I enjoyed this list!

I would also add, I think its pretty unprofessional when you never train your client with a program or plan. Of course there's times when you don't need to follow a program, but at least take some notes during the session if it's a 1 on 1.

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by WoofieNugget View Post
    If you have your own studio and clients are cool with it, then it's what you choose to do. I know that whenever I see a trainer sitting down my first thought is that they are lazy and they should get off their ass. Especially at a chain gym where everyone is watching the trainer. If you're trying to build a business the first thing potential clients are going to watch for is focus, interaction and attentiveness.
    As I addressed earlier, focus, interaction and attentiveness can all be delivered whilst seated. There's still plenty you can do show focus and attention, and to interact with someone, when you're sitting down -- of course, it helps if the client is down at that level, too, for the most part.
    The guy I fired years ago (partially) for doing this just didn't get the hint. Whenever he was sitting on something I would actually walk up to him and say "I need to use that" and take it away. Benches, balls, even once I moved him off of a machine. But he was a lazy POS and then he wondered why nobody wanted to hire him.
    Did you actually tell him that you don't want him sitting down while he's with a client? Subtle hints are an unreliable form of communication.
    SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com

itasquo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) itasquo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) itasquo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) itasquo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) itasquo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) itasquo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) itasquo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) itasquo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) itasquo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) itasquo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) itasquo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by SageFit View Post
    I recently made a post about this on my fitness marketing blog here

I figured you guys may have some more input on this. What have you seen trainers do that just screams "douchebag".

Here are some surefire ways to come off as an unprofessional douchebag personal trainer. Do any of these on a regular basis and I can promise you that you’ll never have a real business.

1) Use your cellphone while training: Whether it’s texting, calling, or doing anything, you will come off as an unprofessinal douchebag. People pay you good money for your time, all your attention should be on them.

2) Checking yourself out in a mirror: Look, everyone likes to make sure they’re looking good at any given moment but spending time staring at yourself while training is the epitome of douchebaggery. Pay attention to your clients form, not your own. Your form standing there doing nothing is going to be fine, no need to check on it every few seconds. If you flex at yourself in a mirror consider yourself king douchebag.

3) Talking about your own lifts: I once had an independant trainer working in one of my facilities and he once said to a client “how much do you think I can bench press?”. He is no longer working for me. If you want to brag do it somewhere else. Douchebag.

4) Sitting while training: The only time you should be sitting down is if a client is on the floor right next to you. Then and only then does it create the proper image of control and professionalism. When you have a client doing a heavy squat and you’re 10 feet away sitting down, you sir, are a douchebag.

5) Dressing unprofessionaly: Sure, we’re in a gym, but that doesn’t mean you aren’t still a business man. I’m not saying you should come in a suit and tie but a backwards hat and wife beater is not appropriate, well in any situation. Frankly, even if you aren’t training someone you’ll look like a douchebag dressing that way. Dress how you want people to see you, as a professional in the field, not a hoodlum.

Post your thoughts below
    I agree
    www.4u-fitness.com
    www.********.com/4ufitness

RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by SageFit View Post
    I recently made a post about this on my fitness marketing blog here http://sagefit.wordpress.com/

I figured you guys may have some more input on this. What have you seen trainers do that just screams "douchebag".

Here are some surefire ways to come off as an unprofessional douchebag personal trainer. Do any of these on a regular basis and I can promise you that you’ll never have a real business.

1) Use your cellphone while training: Whether it’s texting, calling, or doing anything, you will come off as an unprofessinal douchebag. People pay you good money for your time, all your attention should be on them.

2) Checking yourself out in a mirror: Look, everyone likes to make sure they’re looking good at any given moment but spending time staring at yourself while training is the epitome of douchebaggery. Pay attention to your clients form, not your own. Your form standing there doing nothing is going to be fine, no need to check on it every few seconds. If you flex at yourself in a mirror consider yourself king douchebag.

3) Talking about your own lifts: I once had an independant trainer working in one of my facilities and he once said to a client “how much do you think I can bench press?”. He is no longer working for me. If you want to brag do it somewhere else. Douchebag.

4) Sitting while training: The only time you should be sitting down is if a client is on the floor right next to you. Then and only then does it create the proper image of control and professionalism. When you have a client doing a heavy squat and you’re 10 feet away sitting down, you sir, are a douchebag.

5) Dressing unprofessionaly: Sure, we’re in a gym, but that doesn’t mean you aren’t still a business man. I’m not saying you should come in a suit and tie but a backwards hat and wife beater is not appropriate, well in any situation. Frankly, even if you aren’t training someone you’ll look like a douchebag dressing that way. Dress how you want people to see you, as a professional in the field, not a hoodlum.

Post your thoughts below

just my 02

2. i always look around when i train but never when i spot/coach

3. i will talk about my own lifts to help the client (saying how i backed off X weight for form)

4. i will sit if the situation warrants it (i will also do planks beside the client if the situation warrants it)

i also watch the clock (when i dont have my stopwatch)

and i chew gum on occasion (better than protein breath when working up close)
    Last edited by RyouBakua; 02-20-2013 at 04:17 PM.

cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by WoofieNugget View Post

As a rugby player and former Olympic skier, many of my weight-room coaches spent a lot of time sitting. I'm paying them (or the US Olympic Team is paying them) for their expertise, not their ability to stand for long hours. In fact, not making an accommodation to allow them to sit would leave the facility open to a lawsuit in the cases of my old coaches (as they couldn't stand for long periods due to messed up knees or backs). That's not to say that a facility should encourage laziness, but some understanding is appropriate. If my coach can see and critique my form while sitting, I'm fine with it.
    Aaron Bennett
    Denver Harlequins Rugby
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #29 -!!!---!!!-

BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500)
    giving out nutrition info that you as a trainer arent qualified to give.

bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you get good results and have alot of good testimonials and know what you are doing and people like you, you can pretty much get away with anything.