I recently made a post about this on my fitness marketing blog here http://sagefit.wordpress.com/
I figured you guys may have some more input on this. What have you seen trainers do that just screams "douchebag".
Here are some surefire ways to come off as an unprofessional douchebag personal trainer. Do any of these on a regular basis and I can promise you that you’ll never have a real business.
1) Use your cellphone while training: Whether it’s texting, calling, or doing anything, you will come off as an unprofessinal douchebag. People pay you good money for your time, all your attention should be on them.
2) Checking yourself out in a mirror: Look, everyone likes to make sure they’re looking good at any given moment but spending time staring at yourself while training is the epitome of douchebaggery. Pay attention to your clients form, not your own. Your form standing there doing nothing is going to be fine, no need to check on it every few seconds. If you flex at yourself in a mirror consider yourself king douchebag.
3) Talking about your own lifts: I once had an independant trainer working in one of my facilities and he once said to a client “how much do you think I can bench press?”. He is no longer working for me. If you want to brag do it somewhere else. Douchebag.
4) Sitting while training: The only time you should be sitting down is if a client is on the floor right next to you. Then and only then does it create the proper image of control and professionalism. When you have a client doing a heavy squat and you’re 10 feet away sitting down, you sir, are a douchebag.
5) Dressing unprofessionaly: Sure, we’re in a gym, but that doesn’t mean you aren’t still a business man. I’m not saying you should come in a suit and tie but a backwards hat and wife beater is not appropriate, well in any situation. Frankly, even if you aren’t training someone you’ll look like a douchebag dressing that way. Dress how you want people to see you, as a professional in the field, not a hoodlum.
Post your thoughts below