historian3x has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Intelligent debate and feedback on duration of protein intake and long term effects?

So according to Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D. at WebMD(1) High Protein Diets should only be followed 6 months or less(1).

So I became a little concern with the long term effects of high protein intake on glomerular capillaries, especially with regards to proximal tubule reasporption. To make matter worse research at pubmed of what is exactly is "long term" isn't what I would call long term at all. Also researchers can't seem to agree what is "high protein" other than anything over the RDA/DRI, which most people here probably does two times that. My exercise physiology textbook has one chapter on Nutrition and only goes so far to say "requirements for athletes are increased" - Gee, thanks for nothing. Additional I seen research that eGFR's based equations are inaccurate for athletes, this has been shown in studies with cyclists(2) at least, thus leaving one to wonder on how to monitor kidney function accurately other than blood work(ex calcium, urea, etc) and urinalysis(ex proteinuria). Came across Layne Norton's article(3) and the one here from Berardi(4), but to be honest I'm kind of stumped and concerned because I'm unaware of any long term studies(10+ years) other than empirical evidence from bodybuilders.

So I want to do a poll with people here to see what others think(their opinion) and their intake.

1) How long have you been on high protein diet without breaking or cycling?
    2) Do you cycle off and on? HP then normal diet
    3) Please indicate your intake i.e. 1 gram per a lb etc.
    4) How many meals a day do you intake?
    5) Do you low carb? If so what is the max amount of carbohydrate intake?

Thanks

Sorry I had to remove links due to post restrictions/requirments
    Last edited by historian3x; 02-17-2013 at 02:58 AM.

MikeDavidL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MikeDavidL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MikeDavidL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MikeDavidL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MikeDavidL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MikeDavidL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MikeDavidL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MikeDavidL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MikeDavidL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MikeDavidL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MikeDavidL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The Inuit diet might be of some interest to you.
    "Eternal Life is living for others." -William Branham

All things are possible, only believe.

No Fap Crew

germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    1) Depends on what you consider high protein. I've taken in ~200g protein for about 3 years now.
    2) Nope. Why would I?
    3) ~1g/lb
    4) ~6 most days
    5) Nope, but that would depend on your definition of low carb.
    Sports Science & Health Undergraduate

You don't always get what you wish for,
    You get what you work for.

Bite off more than you can chew,
    Then Chew it!

Twitter: @MarkGermaine

"It's at the borders of pain and suffering that the men are separated from the boys." - Emil Zatopek

has no use for a name n0useforaname's Avatar
    n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by historian3x View Post
    1) How long have you been on high protein diet without breaking or cycling?
    2) Do you cycle off and on? HP then normal diet
    3) Please indicate your intake i.e. 1 gram per a lb etc.
    4) How many meals a day do you intake?
    5) Do you low carb? If so what is the max amount of carbohydrate intake?
    1. Years? Like maybe 10+ easily.
    2. Nope, never really worried cuz I drink lots of fluids
    3. Around 1G per LBM or sometimes 20-40G more
    4. 2-3 mostly 2 though
    5. No.... I like carbs. And I don't keep track of them at all. But last time I did it was around 200-220G a day.
    Learning something new here every single day... and I'm still not sure if I understand : /

IFBB Amateur, M. Physique ArchangelEST's Avatar
    ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Didn't Serge Nubret eat around 600-800g of protein daily for his entire lifting career of at-east 50-60 years? Too bad he died on mysterious circumstances, but didn't seem like it had anything to do with protein intake though.

My answers:

1. Probably 10+
    2. No reason
    3. ca. 1g per lb, up to 2g per lb at times
    4. 0-10
    5. No, max - probably like a 1000g, usually around 200-300g I guess
    Owner of:

www.Aspartame-Research.com
    www.MayfieldFitness.net

Author of:

Flexible Dieting Handbook: How To Lose Weight by Eating What You Want - an Amazon Bestseller

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn. "

― Alvin Toffler