LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

My adjustable dumbbell spinlocks exploded (protein everywhere)... need new ideas

So I loaded up my 16 inch adjustable DB handles to 115 lbs each side, which left the spinlock pretty right at the end of the the handle.

I finish my set of 9 on bench press, and I gently place it on the ground, and the spinlock mechanism on both dumbbells just snapped wide open and the plates fall off onto the ground. Luckily the weights were already on the floor, or it could have been not good and stuff.

In case I'm being ambigious, these are what I am referring to, they literally broke into pieces on both DB's.

I had wanted to buy some 18 inch handles, but now I am scared the spinlocks are gonna explode whenever I load them near the edge, so I thinking about investing in a more pricey DB option.

So the only choices I can see are oly handles or some kind of adjustable, am I missing another viable option? I don't have space for every DB I would need, and I need at least 150 lb DB's.

- The ironmasters look good, but the 165 lb attachment I would need makes them 2 feet long, which probably makes the lift uncomfy
    - Would Olympic handles be a good option, or do the 25's you need make the lift suck?
    - any possible options I'm not thinking of?

LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Also, Ironmaster says the warranty on their DB's is void when you use their 165 lb attachment? Wtf?

Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000)
    Ironmasters are 24 inches long at 165 lb and oly handles would be 20 inches.

You could also get better quality spinlock collars or a non-spinlock dumbbell handle like shermworks offers. Put a high quality collar on it from Ivanko for more peace of mind.

With olympics you'll need to get particular thin plates to fit lots of weight on them. Standard Barbell style. Those 25s are not bad. Can't use many deep dish or grip plates and fit lots of weight.
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #24 -!!!---!!!-

Derekdiruz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Derekdiruz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Derekdiruz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Derekdiruz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Derekdiruz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Derekdiruz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Derekdiruz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Derekdiruz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Derekdiruz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Derekdiruz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Derekdiruz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I use Oly handles sometimes, but you really need to get good clips. I use the rogue clips on them because I don't want the weight sliding off. As for the 25s though, I bought FAT 25's that I found on craigslist that are the size of 10s pretty much. So no depth lost.
    365D/305S/245B

Nothing special, but certainly improving.

Originally Posted by Detrus View Post
    Ironmasters are 24 inches long at 165 lb and oly handles would be 20 inches.

You could also get better quality spinlock collars or a non-spinlock dumbbell handle like shermworks offers. Put a high quality collar on it from Ivanko for more peace of mind.

With olympics you'll need to get particular thin plates to fit lots of weight on them. Standard Barbell style. Those 25s are not bad. Can't use many deep dish or grip plates and fit lots of weight.
    The bolded might have been the problem. I bought a 200 lb set off amazon http://www.amazon.com/One-Pair-Adjus.../dp/B004ZLYIEO

I imagine that I might have the same problem whenever the spinlock is close enough to the end to actually make contact with the ground when the DB's are lowered, but I dont know.

The shermworks DB's I know very little about, and every picture I see of them they are loaded with 45's for some reason i don't understand.

Wouldn't the 25 lb standard plates not fit on olympic handles?

Originally Posted by Derekdiruz View Post
    I use Oly handles sometimes, but you really need to get good clips. I use the rogue clips on them because I don't want the weight sliding off. As for the 25s though, I bought FAT 25's that I found on craigslist that are the size of 10s pretty much. So no depth lost.
    Whats the heaviest you have gone on them? I think it would be progressively harder to balance as it got heavier, but I imagine thats a personal thing.

Derekdiruz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Derekdiruz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Derekdiruz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Derekdiruz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Derekdiruz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Derekdiruz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Derekdiruz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Derekdiruz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Derekdiruz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Derekdiruz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Derekdiruz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    heaviest I went was making a 170lb db just to see what I could get on it. That was just messing around however. I didn't put it overhead or anything. The collars didn't fall off or anything though and I was roughing it around to see if the collars could safely hold it.
    365D/305S/245B

Nothing special, but certainly improving.

morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If the bars are OK, you could just buy new collars. Some play it again sports have a bin full of spinlock collars.

Another route might be just to buy some cold rolled steel bars and split shaft collars like these...

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...l.ex?sku=34273
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #32 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #43 ()---() ▉---▉ Equipment Crew #50 ▉---▉

Home gym 'til I die. ProtienandIron's Avatar
    ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OP, this thread needs pics!

Reading between the lines a little, it seems that it could have been the way you put them down that is the cause of the breakage. The best way for a dumbbell to land is just like a barbell, and from your post it seems like you dropped them on thier ends or slightly offset on the end which is even worse. Not sure, like I said, just reading between the lines. Either way, there is no safety risk as such since there is no way it will happen in the air i.e. above you. Personally I would just buy another set of spinlock collars and carry on. Also, at your stats you should really upgrade to 18in handles.

My home gym has rubber matting, but for any impact areas, especially under the bench when dumbbell training, I use grass mats/door mats. They are perfect for dumbbells as they act as a bumper- flexing taking out a lot of the shock before they hit the hard rubber mat.

Grass mats;

http://www.blacksheepplay.co.uk/safe...rass-mats.html

Also note the small doormat version leaning on the wall on the right- great as a portable option. When I work dumbbells in low rep ranges I double up the mats and I can literally dump them with no issues.
    My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

[]---[] Equipment Crew #43 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #1 -!!!---!!!-
    ()---() York Barbell Club #4 ()---()

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by LegosInMyEgos View Post
    I had wanted to buy some 18 inch handles, but now I am scared the spinlocks are gonna explode whenever I load them near the edge...
    Were all of the threads of the spinlock collars engaged?

I find it surprising that both failed pretty much simultaneously. I'm wondering if it really was a problem with being too near the end or if you had simply loaded your dumbbells up with too much weight. I'm also wondering about the quality of the collars and the material that it was made of.

I'd like to see some photos too.

With regard to loading dumbbells up to 165lbs, I'm guessing that no matter how you do it, it's not going to be all that comfy. They're going to be big in some dimension. At least with Ironmasters, the ends are flat. Most of the other solutions that you're looking at have ends that poke out and are of constant length regardless of the weight. Ironmaster dumbbells get shorter as the weight decreases.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000)
    The shermworks DB's I know very little about, and every picture I see of them they are loaded with 45's for some reason i don't understand.

Wouldn't the 25 lb standard plates not fit on olympic handles?

I mean this style of olympic plates, typically labelled "standard barbell." Sherm loads 45s on his handles to show they can take the weight.

Originally Posted by Derekdiruz View Post
    As for the 25s though, I bought FAT 25's that I found on craigslist that are the size of 10s pretty much. So no depth lost.
    You have any info on FAT 25's? Manufacturer, pics or anything?
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #24 -!!!---!!!-

iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I've had dumbell spinlock collars snap also. Sometimes the casting batch is not all that great and therefore they're relatively weak.

You could buy a pro set of dumbells and adjust them for when you get stronger, e.g. start with a SD5 handle which means you can adjust the last plate to make weight changed from 42.5kg (93.5 pounds) to 50kg (110 pounds).

They're much much safer than spin locks.

Earl H is just really nice. (+1000) Earl H is just really nice. (+1000) Earl H is just really nice. (+1000) Earl H is just really nice. (+1000) Earl H is just really nice. (+1000) Earl H is just really nice. (+1000) Earl H is just really nice. (+1000) Earl H is just really nice. (+1000) Earl H is just really nice. (+1000) Earl H is just really nice. (+1000) Earl H is just really nice. (+1000)
    Also, Ironmaster says the warranty on their DB's is void when you use their 165 lb attachment? Wtf?
    Have used my IM's to 150-165 lbs plenty of times (DB Chest Press) without worry. Mind you I have never had to drop them. I am guessing that that is what they are referring to re: warranty. When loaded with the 165lb screws, they end up being more secure, because you have to screw it all the way in vs using their slide and screw mechanism.

Another option might be Powerblocks, which now go up to 175lbs, but at approx. $1,400 shipped w/stand is not for the light of wallet and I doubt you'll be seeing that set pop up on Craigslist anytime soon.
    My Cave
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=475500571&posted=1#post475500571
    Post 82 & 83

RL Erik 'Iwhspr Fe comes' matrix563's Avatar
    matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    pretty sure at that weight for powerblocks (or any weight) the warranty is void when dropped

i had considered selling my ironmasters to fund some purchases and rebuy them in the future, but i had a bad thought/image of olympic plates sliding off olympic dumbbell handles onto my face. so i didn't sell them
    ▪█───────█▪ Equipment Crew #46 ▪█───────█▪
    ▪█───────█▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #21 ▪█───────█▪
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #33 ||---||

~ 5th dimensional being ~

sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by morebarbell View Post
    If the bars are OK, you could just buy new collars. Some play it again sports have a bin full of spinlock collars.

Another route might be just to buy some cold rolled steel bars and split shaft collars like these...

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...l.ex?sku=34273
    This is the collar I provide with my dumbbells, plus a long handle hex key.

sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Detrus View Post
    I mean this style of olympic plates, typically labelled "standard barbell." Sherm loads 45s on his handles to show they can take the weight.
    Thanks for pointing that out. For picture purposes just easier to load the db bar up with oly 45's. If anyone wants to see a particular load on a particular length, let me know.