Registered Sex Offender aliensarecool's Avatar
    aliensarecool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aliensarecool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aliensarecool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aliensarecool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aliensarecool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aliensarecool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aliensarecool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aliensarecool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aliensarecool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aliensarecool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aliensarecool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Just started running, couple n00b questions

i'm 6'3" 200lb 25 years old. i lift weights regularly and started running just to speed up my cut process, and just to improve my health as well.

1. should i be sprinting? i normally just jog 2-3 miles after lifting weights. is a certain intensity going to be more beneficial? i plan to do HIIT in the future, but just wanna get my body ready with short jogs for a while.

2. what's the purpose in running with no socks? i've been reading this subreddit and noticed many people do that. i run in nike free run +...i don't feel like spending money an that perfect pair of shoes, i just needed a decent pair for running/gym so i picked up those.

3. what muscles should i focus on stretching? i've stretching my hip/groin area before, but that's really it. i was also curious if i would see any leg muscles increase in size from running.

4. any tips on not becoming winded? should i just push through it? or slow down or stop/rest?

5. i noticed sometimes after i'm done my legs feel numb/tingly, what could cause that? should i worry?

6. Should I run on an empty stomach or no? I generally run after lifting, then follow both up with a meal. Chicken or other protein as the primary.

i had one more question, but i can't remember so i'll edit this later. ant other recommendations or input would be greatly appreciated. i used to always hate running, but the more i do it, i'm actually enjoying it!!!
    i wish a misca would...

stone_free10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stone_free10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stone_free10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stone_free10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stone_free10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stone_free10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stone_free10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stone_free10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stone_free10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stone_free10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stone_free10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by aliensarecool View Post
    1. should i be sprinting? i normally just jog 2-3 miles after lifting weights. is a certain intensity going to be more beneficial? i plan to do HIIT in the future, but just wanna get my body ready with short jogs for a while.

Intensity definitely plays the big roll. But also it depends what are trying to achieve, you want stamina and/or speed endurance or just speed endurance.
    But I would recommend that you change your running routines/workouts, like jog 2-3 miles 1-2 times a week, and 1-2 times sprinting, different stuff like 5x25,5x50,5x75,5x100m (60-90 sec rest between reps, and running at 85-90%), shouldnt be longer than 35-45min

2. what's the purpose in running with no socks? i've been reading this subreddit and noticed many people do that. i run in nike free run +...i don't feel like spending money an that perfect pair of shoes, i just needed a decent pair for running/gym so i picked up those.

I think it depends from person to person, depending on a feeling, I definitely feel more comfortable with socks..

3. what muscles should i focus on stretching? i've stretching my hip/groin area before, but that's really it. i was also curious if i would see any leg muscles increase in size from running.

If you are going to implement sprints in your workout than definitely hamstrings and quad, but static stretching only after your sprint exercises.
    And no, your leg muscles wont get bigger from running, more lean yes, but not bigger

4. any tips on not becoming winded? should i just push through it? or slow down or stop/rest?

You are getting winded because your VO2 max is low. You have to push through it too increase it,

5. i noticed sometimes after i'm done my legs feel numb/tingly, what could cause that? should i worry?

6. Should I run on an empty stomach or no? I generally run after lifting, then follow both up with a meal. Chicken or other protein as the primary.

This also depends from person to person, some people cannot workout or run on empty stomach...

i had one more question, but i can't remember so i'll edit this later. ant other recommendations or input would be greatly appreciated. i used to always hate running, but the more i do it, i'm actually enjoying it!!!
    I included my answers in your quote.

xx211aaronxx is not very helpful. (-500) xx211aaronxx is not very helpful. (-500) xx211aaronxx is not very helpful. (-500) xx211aaronxx is not very helpful. (-500) xx211aaronxx is not very helpful. (-500) xx211aaronxx is not very helpful. (-500) xx211aaronxx is not very helpful. (-500) xx211aaronxx is not very helpful. (-500) xx211aaronxx is not very helpful. (-500) xx211aaronxx is not very helpful. (-500) xx211aaronxx is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by aliensarecool View Post
    i'm 6'3" 200lb 25 years old. i lift weights regularly and started running just to speed up my cut process, and just to improve my health as well.

1. If you can hold a conversation while running you're good, if you are panting you are going to fast.

3. Stretch after your run, it doesn't matter what muscle you stretch. If you know you are tight then stretch out that muscle.

4. Find a comfortable speed and you shouldn't get winded. If you have to start off real slow, you will progress fast. If you are consistent.

stone_free10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stone_free10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stone_free10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stone_free10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stone_free10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stone_free10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stone_free10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stone_free10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stone_free10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stone_free10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stone_free10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by xx211aaronxx View Post
    1. If you can hold a conversation while running you're good, if you are panting you are going to fast.

3. Stretch after your run, it doesn't matter what muscle you stretch. If you know you are tight then stretch out that muscle.

4. Find a comfortable speed and you shouldn't get winded. If you have to start off real slow, you will progress fast. If you are consistent.
    Please, if you dont know what are you talking about then dont give any advices. (and dont get offended, it is just a criticism)

Running doesn't have anything to do with holding a conversation. I had practices (with a team of 20-22 guys) doing fitness sessions/sprinting sessions and you wouldnt here anybody talking. Also talking while doing your sprinting sessions (either while doing it, or during break) will have impact on your heart rate and oxygen intake. During breaks you are trying to stabilize breathing and get it back on track, simple as that (just one of the things)

DAMN STRAIGHT it matters what muscles you stretch, you cant just stretch calves because they feel tight, you should spend 20-25min stretching after sprinting sessions. All leg muscles.

Getting winded is good (if you feel comfortable and not like passing out of course). To increase your stamina AND speed endurance, you have to push yourself and push through 'getting winded'

profet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) profet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) profet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) profet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    As far as getting winded... you are going too fast.

You want to start running at a conversational pace. You want to be able to speak a sentence... but not sing a song.

fyhsra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fyhsra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fyhsra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fyhsra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fyhsra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fyhsra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fyhsra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fyhsra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fyhsra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fyhsra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fyhsra has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    1. Depends on how much endurance you have and what you're trying to go for. If you have absolutely no problems running, say, 4-5 miles, then you have a strong enough base to start incorporating interval/HIIT workouts (Keep in mind, this isn't necessarily sprinting). I would say keep with your slow runs for a while and build your mileage first to be able to have the endurance - it's almost always better to first build your mileage, then go for speed after that.

2. Personal preference mostly. I've only done it for a short period of time and ended up getting a black toe (Though there could have been other factors as well).

3. Hamstrings, quads, groin, butt, calves, hip flexor are the main ones.

4. If you're getting too winded, try slowing down your pace. Remember, when you're first starting to run, it's almost always better to go for distance over speed - don't worry about how fast you're going, it will come with time.

5. Try doing a cooldown and stretching.

6. It really depends, you'd have to judge this for yourself. You could always have a small snack (Make sure it's something your body can digest well) before your run.

fyhsra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fyhsra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fyhsra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fyhsra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fyhsra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fyhsra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fyhsra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fyhsra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fyhsra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fyhsra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fyhsra has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by stone_free10 View Post
    Please, if you dont know what are you talking about then dont give any advices. (and dont get offended, it is just a criticism)

Running doesn't have anything to do with holding a conversation. I had practices (with a team of 20-22 guys) doing fitness sessions/sprinting sessions and you wouldnt here anybody talking. Also talking while doing your sprinting sessions (either while doing it, or during break) will have impact on your heart rate and oxygen intake. During breaks you are trying to stabilize breathing and get it back on track, simple as that (just one of the things)
    I'm sorry, but this isn't criticism, you're just trying to sound smart. Obviously you are an experienced runner, so your experiences are going to be different from a new runner. For a new runner, I would not recommend the workout that you suggested. Quite frankly, the sprint ladder that you suggested is completely worthless to a new runner trying to build his or her base.

Registered Sex Offender aliensarecool's Avatar
    aliensarecool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aliensarecool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aliensarecool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aliensarecool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aliensarecool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aliensarecool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aliensarecool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aliensarecool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aliensarecool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aliensarecool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aliensarecool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Bump
    i wish a misca would...