SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000)

Somewhat Inexpensive Cardio Equipment

I know that I can do bodyweight circuits, use kettlebells, or just about anything else for cardiovascular training. I'm starting my gym in the next month or so and will be starting in a ~700-1000 square foot space. I have most of the other items I will need include a power rack, plenty of free weights, Powerblock dumbbells, gymnastic rings, and a bench. Eventually, I will be offering 30-45 minute sessions. I would like to give clients some "busy" work after sessions so that they can still get an hour workout in, but I won't have to worry about them. As they work with me longer, I can progress them to using cardio equipment less, but some people still enjoy it because it is so mindless.

So far I have found:

Schwinn Airdyne - may look slightly ghetto, but I can pick one up on Craigslist for $60-150 depending on age/features. I wish it was recumbent for back pain reasons, but it seems like it would be a good buy for fairly healthy populations. Can't beat the price.

Rower - this is, again, probably more appropriate for healthier populations without back pain or poor mobility. In any case, it looks like I could get a Concept 2 rower around $850-1000+ depending on whether it is used/new and what model.

Any other options you guys have found that are good? I was trying to find any recumbent bikes that might use air resistance or water resistance, but doesn't seem like they make these from my research?

Even if you know of any commercial recumbent bikes that you have found at decent prices let me know. I am just trying to outfit the gym with 2-3 pieces of "cardio" equipment for a reasonable rate to get started. (Please no jump ropes, aerobic steps, your body, etc.)

LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Why do you want to give them "busy work"? If their session with you was sufficient this seems kind of pointless. Is this going to be a open gym setting, or will they need to come to you for workout plans? If its open just get a couple treadmills and elliptical and be done with it.

15 minutes on a rower or Airdyne after a intense workout seems rather redundant
    Last edited by LiftHeavy85; 02-11-2013 at 06:53 AM.

PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm with LH here. My clients won't be able to stand after 45 minutes and deffo won't be doing more cardio afterwards.

I understand wanting a bit of cardio equipment such as a bike, rowing machine etc, as it's what people kind off expect but I don't think you'll need to spend too much money on it.

Get a few jump ropes $1.99 on eBay
    High quality Home Personal Training in Edinburgh, UK.

www.castlepersonaltraining.com

Look us up on ******** "Castlepersonaltraining" or just look me up "Peteratcastle"

SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000)
    This will be a private gym setting - as in only my clients that currently have a session with me will be in the facility. Not every client is appropriate for the "beat up for 30 minutes and be gone" method. In particular, for some of my older clients, some moderate intensity cardio can be very appropriate. We might have spent the 30 minute session doing things that are more coaching intensive - balance, strength exercises, client education, etc.

I'm just trying to keep my options available and to have some basic equipment available. At the same time, I'm not trying to drop $10-20k on cardiovascular training equipment for cost and space reasons. I'm trying to stuff this stuff in a corner out of the way to maintain as much open space as possible.

A recumbent bike (~$1500 used/refurbed), Schwinn Airdyne ($100-150 used/fixed), and a Concept 2 rower ($700-850 used/fixed) would cost me $2500 on the high end. I would love a treadmill because I think incline walking is an excellent activity for most trainees, but the cost is looking to be prohibitive. I haven't seen anything for less than $2500. Perhaps that would be the next phase of equipment.

Anyways if anyone has any other thoughts or knows of any good brands they have bought in the past that have held up, please let me know.

PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    OK, fair enough if you want a piece of cardio equipment for some other clients. It was the "To fill up their hour" comment that threw me a bit.
    I love the rowing machines but they are very expensive and would probably go witha bike first, if I had a choice.
    High quality Home Personal Training in Edinburgh, UK.

www.castlepersonaltraining.com

Look us up on ******** "Castlepersonaltraining" or just look me up "Peteratcastle"

Yes, the idea is basically to have something available for those that require more cardiovascular training than I can give to them in 2x 30 minute sessions per week. This also allows me to give them work to do on their own, that I am not charging them for. I'm actually try to avoid the busy work that a lot of trainers give their clients - go on the treadmill for 20 minutes while I go talk to these other gym-goers (while you are paying me $1/minute).

Thanks for the feedback. Perhaps I will start off with the Airdyne and recumbent bikes and then move on to the rowing machine as my client base expands.

WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    If you want commercial grade stuff you are looking for more cost. However, depending on use you can probably get a decent used spin bike for $400, a good treadmill for less than $1000 even new (although it will be home grade - look for sales) and add a rower used for another $500. If you only have 100 square feet I'd invest in the treadmill and a spin bike/upright bike only because they are the two pieces that will have a small footprint and be the most versatile for absolutely anyone you bring into the gym.

ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Get a good quality commercial treadmill. You can do warmups, cool downs, and measure cardiovascular fitness with it. It's also a good place for a waiting customer.

Originally Posted by ChessGuy View Post
    Get a good quality commercial treadmill. You can do warmups, cool downs, and measure cardiovascular fitness with it. It's also a good place for a waiting customer.
    I definitely want the treadmill, but as I mentioned, the cost will be prohibitive in the first 6-12 months. I'm starting my business on next to no free cash. The rent is going to be paid on a percentage basis. Unless someone knows better than I, a good (and used) commercial treadmill is going to cost me $2000-2500. Not exactly chump change at this stage in my business.

I did find a Schwinn Airdyne (the old Gold version) for $60 on Craigslist. The "computer" is broken, but it could be a simple fix. I'm also going to call up some of the local Salvation Army and Goodwill stores to see if they might have any. I've heard stories of people picking up the next generation, white Airdyne for $25.

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Spin bikes are pretty cheap; if I were in your shoes I'd probably be going for them. Skipping ropes are very cheap. Would things such as sleds and prowlers be appropriate for your environment/clientele?
    SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com

acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Hey, fellow NH resident. Where abouts are you setting up shop. Shot me a message if you are doing tours .

Oh... and there is some good inexpensive equipment put there. Check Craigslist in MA and NH often.

WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by SFT View Post
    I definitely want the treadmill, but as I mentioned, the cost will be prohibitive in the first 6-12 months. I'm starting my business on next to no free cash. The rent is going to be paid on a percentage basis. Unless someone knows better than I, a good (and used) commercial treadmill is going to cost me $2000-2500. Not exactly chump change at this stage in my business.
    This is why I'd go with a home grade - you can get a decent one for less than $1000 if you find a good deal and it will come with a 1 year warranty (or just make sure it does). After a year you will probably be able to upgrade and sell the old one used for a few hundred bucks.

Originally Posted by rdferguson View Post
    Spin bikes are pretty cheap; if I were in your shoes I'd probably be going for them. Skipping ropes are very cheap. Would things such as sleds and prowlers be appropriate for your environment/clientele?
    I was thinking about spinning bikes, but I find them to be uncomfortable and I'm not 50 pounds overweight. I know I could probably get a new seat, and that many people wear biking shorts (I doubt my clients will), but we will see. That is definitely another option.

I will be making my own jump ropes from home depot. I'm guessing I can make 10-15 of them for $35-50 in materials depending on how much the rope/handles run me.

Sleds and prowlers won't be appropriate initially. The room is not particularly long so the sled wouldn't make sense. There is a nice (for prowler/sleds) parking lot that is mostly gravel, so in the summer that could work.

Thanks for the input.

Originally Posted by acrawlingchaos View Post
    Hey, fellow NH resident. Where abouts are you setting up shop. Shot me a message if you are doing tours .

Oh... and there is some good inexpensive equipment put there. Check Craigslist in MA and NH often.
    I'm down in Salem, but I'm hopping the border to open down in Massachusetts. Definitely won't be anything even decent to look at for about a year. I'm starting off slow just offering some group classes in a shared space and then slowly leaving more equipment there and taking over one of the free rooms. My goal is to be a truly full functioning small private facility in a years time.

Originally Posted by WoofieNugget View Post
    This is why I'd go with a home grade - you can get a decent one for less than $1000 if you find a good deal and it will come with a 1 year warranty (or just make sure it does). After a year you will probably be able to upgrade and sell the old one used for a few hundred bucks.
    I was thinking about it, but do you know anything about the legal implications? I wasn't sure if there were any, but I would hate for something to happen to a client, go to court, and have them say "Why were you using an inexpensive home model at a greater level of use than what it was intended for?" Not very likely to happen, but everyone in the US is sue happy.

Originally Posted by SFT View Post
    I was thinking about it, but do you know anything about the legal implications? I wasn't sure if there were any, but I would hate for something to happen to a client, go to court, and have them say "Why were you using an inexpensive home model at a greater level of use than what it was intended for?" Not very likely to happen, but everyone in the US is sue happy.
    I have never heard that there are any - and a client isn't going to know the difference between a LifeFitness home model and one at the gym. Think about it - if you use a model at home for 1 hour a day or use it for ten minutes eight times a day with a client, there is a slim difference in terms of overall usage.

Picked up a Schwinn Airdyne AD3 (Gold model) today for $60. The timer doesn't work, but that should be alleviated by hanging a stopwatch. RPM meter and odometer still work. For being older than me, it is in pretty good shape. Needs some WD-40, greasing of the chain, and I'll probably paint it in the spring/summer. After all that, I'm probably around $100 investment whereas they run for ~$650 new.

On to the rower next.