Thread: Amatuer Boxing

JesseG91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Arrow Amatuer Boxing

hey guys! new here.
    I am looking for some advice, I struggle with my diet... a lot.
    I have been boxing on and off my whole life, but the past year and a bit I have started taking it more seriously.
    I always fought in the heavy weight(88kg-96kg) and even had a super heavy weight fight(96+kg).
    I am now down to 88kg and feeling a lot fitter, faster, and even more powerful.
    The thing is, the past month I have been training harder then ever, and have not lost any more weight. fitness, speed, endurance and power is still improving. but the fat it just staying there.
    I don't know a lot about diet and nutrition, and am allergic to a lot of things, and had a lot of health issues as a kid, but I have put together this routine(training is as per usual, diet is what will be new. morning run is also new)
    just a note, I am 88kg, 183cm tall, and looking to get down to, and be lean at 77-78kg.

5:30am
    5km jog(medium pace)

6:30am
    protein shake with a scoop of creatine.

7:00am
    head off to work(drive)

10:30am
    Wholemeal multigrain sandwich(sliced meat or vegemite) with low fat cheese - Some fruit, grapes or an apple.

12:30pm
    Fruit, sandwich(as above) or 6 boiled eggs, muesli bar or sultanas.

3:30
    Protein and creatine shake.

5:00pm
    Training from 5:00, until 6:30, includes, bag work, skipping, a lot of high intensity interval training really. mostly boxing specific.

7:30pm
    Dinner - whatever the old man cooks, usual very healthy white meat and veggies. if not, scrambled eggs/rice... something alone those lines.

9:30pm
    Sleep

And Repeat...

I also have a multivitamin in the mornings.

How does this look, what are a few things I can add in, change... does this give me the right amount of calories? for weight loss, muscle maintaining, and fitness improvements?
    And tips on diet, boxing, fitness, anything is appreciated! thanks.

Jesse Graham.

Registered User heavyhitter1987's Avatar
    heavyhitter1987 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by JesseG91 View Post
    hey guys! new here.
    I have been boxing on and off my whole life, but the past year and a bit I have started taking it more seriously.
    I always fought in the heavy weight(88kg-96kg) and even had a super heavy weight fight(96+kg).
    The thing is, the past month I have been training harder then ever, and have not lost any more weight. fitness, speed, endurance and power is still improving. but the fat it just staying there.
    I don't know a lot about diet and nutrition, and am allergic to a lot of things, and had a lot of health issues as a kid, but I have put together this routine(training is as per usual, diet is what will be new. morning run is also new)
    just a note, I am 88kg, 183cm tall, and looking to get down to, and be lean at 77-78kg.

5km jog(medium pace)

protein shake with a scoop of creatine.

head off to work(drive)

Wholemeal multigrain sandwich(sliced meat or vegemite) with low fat cheese - Some fruit, grapes or an apple.

Fruit, sandwich(as above) or 6 boiled eggs, muesli bar or sultanas.

Protein and creatine shake.

Training from 5:00, until 6:30, includes, bag work, skipping, a lot of high intensity interval training really. mostly boxing specific.

Dinner - whatever the old man cooks, usual very healthy white meat and veggies. if not, scrambled eggs/rice... something alone those lines.

Sleep

And Repeat...

How does this look, what are a few things I can add in, change... does this give me the right amount of calories? for weight loss, muscle maintaining, and fitness improvements?

Jesse Graham.
    Very conventional boxing program man, nothing wrong with that, it did work for all the past greats. Have you considered adding a sprint session once a week in? maybe 5 400-800m sprints with 60 seconds rest between each. It will get you're heart rate up, great for fat burning and will train your heart rate to get used to beating at a higher rate and then recovering quicker. This sort of training is becoming increasingly popular, however many boxing trainers are still stuck in the past with old methods.

Your diet looks good, you would have a high calorie need. But try adding high intensity runs/sprints in your program, if you still are not losing slightly more weight then play around with portion sizes.

JesseG91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by heavyhitter1987 View Post
    Very conventional boxing program man, nothing wrong with that, it did work for all the past greats. Have you considered adding a sprint session once a week in? maybe 5 400-800m sprints with 60 seconds rest between each. It will get you're heart rate up, great for fat burning and will train your heart rate to get used to beating at a higher rate and then recovering quicker. This sort of training is becoming increasingly popular, however many boxing trainers are still stuck in the past with old methods.

Your diet looks good, you would have a high calorie need. But try adding high intensity runs/sprints in your program, if you still are not losing slightly more weight then play around with portion sizes.
    Thanks for the reply and advice!
    I will defiantly add that in, would I replace one of my morning jogs with sprints? or do it in the afternoon session? I did read an article about written by Evander Holyfield's trainer incorporating sprints into his training, and he said it made his movements and punches a lot more explosive. so I will defiantly incorporate that.

Registered User heavyhitter1987's Avatar
    heavyhitter1987 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the reply and advice!
    I will defiantly add that in, would I replace one of my morning jogs with sprints? or do it in the afternoon session? I did read an article about written by Evander Holyfield's trainer incorporating sprints into his training, and he said it made his movements and punches a lot more explosive. so I will defiantly incorporate that.
    Holyfield was a true master of conditioning, putting on size to go heavyweight from cruiser then winning the title, anything he says i approve of. I feel it makes me faster, and i can keep the intensity up (i like to swarm). Personally i do sprints in the arvo, mainly because i have dodgy hamstrings and i feel more comfortable when they are fully warmed up. But really personal preference, if you like running in the morning sure switch a run for a sprint. I like to carry a stopwatch and i try to get every 400m under 1min 30. Really gets the heart rate up and breaks up the monotony of slow jogs.

DFS200 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DFS200 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DFS200 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DFS200 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DFS200 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DFS200 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DFS200 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DFS200 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DFS200 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DFS200 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DFS200 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You need to look at nutrition more scientifically, count calories and macronutrients to ensure what you need. Diet looks solid, but you may be taking in too much food. As mentioned above, the easiest way to create a deficit in cals is added conditioning, but you really need to count to get a comprehensive understanding of weight loss.

DFS200 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DFS200 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DFS200 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DFS200 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DFS200 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DFS200 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DFS200 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DFS200 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DFS200 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DFS200 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DFS200 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    hey guys! new here.

5km jog(medium pace)

protein shake with a scoop of creatine. 120 cals

head off to work(drive)

Wholemeal multigrain sandwich(sliced meat or vegemite) with low fat cheese - Some fruit, grapes or an apple. 450-500 ish cals, depends on meat.

Fruit, sandwich(as above) or 6 boiled eggs, muesli bar or sultanas. 800-900 cals or more if you use the same eggs I do

Protein and creatine shake. 120 cals

Dinner - whatever the old man cooks, usual very healthy white meat and veggies. if not, scrambled eggs/rice... something alone those lines. 500-600 cals if this is true

Sleep

And Repeat...

Jesse Graham.
    Just an estimation i'd list you at 2300 cals, and that's if you're being accurate with your portions. Everything you've posted is pretty ambiguous, with larger portions and a few snacks you could be more realistically at 3000 cals. For a guy your size and activity level you could be cutting at anywhere from 2250-2500 cals to lose 1 pound a week. Read the stickies in the nutrition forum about macros and activity level to learn basics of weight loss dieting. As an athlete trying to lose weight, your body has nutrition requirements that must be met to train hard, it's tough to ballpark stuff unless you are well-versed in the numbers.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I agree with counting calories, it pretty much doesn't matter what you eat if you exceed your caloric intake and that's not good for weight loss.
    Pokemon X and Y crew FC: 5215-0470-3034 (X)

TeamIrishMMA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Drop the creatine man. unless youre bodybuilding its not ideal for the sport. I'm a mixed martial artist which has alot of the same fitness requirements as boxing. When I first started I used creatine because I thought it would help. All it does is make you retain water in your muscles. If you're keeping yourself properly hydrated then you should stop using it. Thats the one thing that stuck out to me, hope it helps.