Funkzx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Power rack/cage vs Smith Machine? Help me choose between two.

Hey Guys!
    I'm currently deciding between a Smith Machine and Power rack/full cage. I have found 2 both over $1000. The Smith Machine includes a lat tower, bench and handles for $1500. The Full Cage has a lat tower included for $1200. I have read a bit about the pros/cons of each and would like some help deciding! Here are the links to the 2 options.
    I can't post links yet since I haven't posted enough, however they are both from Flaman Fitness and on their website. The Smith Machine is the Progression MD9010 Smith Machine. The Rack is the TuffStuff Power Cage (Rack). Input on pros/cons of each and the brand opinions would be nice!

Thanks in advance!

SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Funkzx View Post
    Hey Guys!
    I'm currently deciding between a Smith Machine and Power rack/full cage. I have found 2 both over $1000. The Smith Machine includes a lat tower, bench and handles for $1500. The Full Cage has a lat tower included for $1200. I have read a bit about the pros/cons of each and would like some help deciding! Here are the links to the 2 options.
    I can't post links yet since I haven't posted enough, however they are both from Flaman Fitness and on their website. The Smith Machine is the Progression MD9010 Smith Machine. The Rack is the TuffStuff Power Cage (Rack). Input on pros/cons of each and the brand opinions would be nice!

Thanks in advance!
    Go with an actual power rack. Personally I wouldn't bother getting one with a lat tower but if you want one, no reason not to get one. If you haven't already, read the power rack stickie.

Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000)
    Funk, I'm guessing you're Canadian.

With your budget, my advice would be to opt for a power rack....but why from Flaman. It's an alright rack but you can do better with your budget of 1000-1500. Just as an example you could get either the Sorinex Dark Horse or the Rogue R3 for around $1000 shipped to your door. There are other nice racks out there too.

I've messed around with that rack you're thinking of buying and it's alright....but the two racks I suggested are better.

mrhardee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrhardee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrhardee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrhardee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrhardee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrhardee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrhardee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrhardee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrhardee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrhardee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrhardee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've never looked into the economical considerations choosing between the two but from an exercise stand point I would go with the power rack. A lot more core/basic lifts of any program can be done in the power rack.
    Bench: 335x1
    Dead: 425x1
    Squat: 360x1

"Rip It" - Anonymous

LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey Guys!

Thanks in advance!
    Power rack, hands down. It's the same question of machines vs free weights, google it, if you had to choose only 1, free weights are 1000x better for every single training goal.

Also, I think you are mistaken that power cage includes a lat tower, all it said it that it's an option, I do not believe that price includes the lat tower.

That being said that rack is horribly horribly overpriced for what it is. You're better off buying a powertec rack and the lat attachment and then a powertec bench or something for a similar price.

TuffStuff doesn't make very high quality stuff. Depends how hard / heavy you would be training but for that price there are much better options out there that will come with more.

Keep in mind finding used weights / equipment is an effective way to save a ton of money.

RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Get a smith machine with a gun rack get the best of both worlds ,better still get a smith machine with gunrack and built on pullup bar .Smith machines get a bad rap from people that dont know how to use them correctly.Or people that think because u train on one u do not do any free weight movements.I say do both mix it up keep it fresh and interesting heres a great link by John Meadows on the values of using a smith machine check it out guy knows what hes talking about.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_..._smith_machine

irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by RussAnderson View Post
    Get a smith machine with a gun rack get the best of both worlds ,better still get a smith machine with gunrack and built on pullup bar .Smith machines get a bad rap from people that dont know how to use them correctly.Or people that think because u train on one u do not do any free weight movements.I say do both mix it up keep it fresh and interesting heres a great link by John Meadows on the values of using a smith machine check it out guy knows what hes talking about.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_..._smith_machine
    Very good article. I have a smith machine and like the variety it adds to freeweights.
    Now OK for Sig line to be a novel

Wink

Thanks for all the responses! Thanks for pointing out the lat tower on the power rack i'll have to go down there and check it out, if its not included the price seems high. If its not included, they sell powertec power racks in the city, $500 for the rack and $500 for the lat tower. Bench for around $300 so that might be a good choice. Thank you for posting that smith machine article. However i'm currently leaning towards the rack, the variation of stuff you can do safely and im pretty comfortable with a freeweight system rather than than a smith machine. Any other input about smith or power racks would be nice! Thanks again

jpy15026 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jpy15026 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jpy15026 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jpy15026 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jpy15026 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jpy15026 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jpy15026 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jpy15026 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jpy15026 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jpy15026 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jpy15026 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    More than happy with my Powertec WB-PR11 Rack and Lat Attachment : )

I got the WB-PR11 rack in the beginning of November and was so happy with it I ordered the WB-LTO13 Lat attachment a couple of weeks later.
    I've been using a Powertec Half Rack for a few years now and decided to upgrade to a full rack and after much research I decided to stay with the Powertec name and I'm glad that I did.
    After using it for a few months now I'm very pleased with my Powertec rack and Lat Attachment,no question in my mind that I made the right choice.
    jpy15026
    Attached Images

Originally Posted by jpy15026 View Post
    More than happy with my Powertec WB-PR11 Rack and Lat Attachment : )

I got the WB-PR11 rack in the beginning of November and was so happy with it I ordered the WB-LTO13 Lat attachment a couple of weeks later.
    I've been using a Powertec Half Rack for a few years now and decided to upgrade to a full rack and after much research I decided to stay with the Powertec name and I'm glad that I did.
    After using it for a few months now I'm very pleased with my Powertec rack and Lat Attachment,no question in my mind that I made the right choice.
    jpy15026
    Looks sick man for the price its awesome. For the lat attachment is there 2 attachment points? Or just a single one? Also does the lat attachment slide down at all for upward pull exercises?

jpy15026 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jpy15026 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jpy15026 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jpy15026 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jpy15026 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jpy15026 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jpy15026 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jpy15026 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jpy15026 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jpy15026 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jpy15026 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    WB-LTO13.jpgLat Top Rt.jpgBottom Pully.jpg
    Looks sick man for the price its awesome. For the lat attachment is there 2 attachment points? Or just a single one? Also does the lat attachment slide down at all for upward pull exercises?
    Has both Lat Pulldown and Low Row attachment for "Upward pulls : )
    Last edited by jpy15026; 02-16-2013 at 08:49 AM.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz

Power rack/cage vs Smith Machine? Help me choose between two.
    If you're training as a powerlifter/strength athlete, go with a power rack.

If you're training as a bodybuilder (or a combination of different weight training disciplines), go with whichever will give you the most options between machine and free weight exercises that will fit within your budget.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Thanks for the responses! That lat bar is sick, exactly what i'm looking for. Think i'm gonna go with the powertec rack unless the tuff stuff rack blows me away.

Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by LimitStrength View Post
    Power rack, hands down. It's the same question of machines vs free weights, google it, if you had to choose only 1, free weights are 1000x better for every single training goal.

Also, I think you are mistaken that power cage includes a lat tower, all it said it that it's an option, I do not believe that price includes the lat tower.

That being said that rack is horribly horribly overpriced for what it is. You're better off buying a powertec rack and the lat attachment and then a powertec bench or something for a similar price.

TuffStuff doesn't make very high quality stuff. Depends how hard / heavy you would be training but for that price there are much better options out there that will come with more.

Keep in mind finding used weights / equipment is an effective way to save a ton of money.

Personally, I'd buy a Tuff Stuff product over a Powertec any day. That rack (RPR-265) has some nice features is built with 2x3 11ga oval tubing, which is more than sufficient for the majority of folks on this forum.

I also like the pin system they use for their spotter arms...

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"An adult male weighs at least 200 pounds." - Mark Rippetoe

▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #44 ▪█──█▪

||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #11 ||---||

I bought my Powertec WB-PR11 Rack and WB-LTO13 Lat Attachment from best buy fitness,for a bit less than what it is now.They had the best price at that time and I couldn't have been more pleased with their communication,service and how quickly I received it.

bestbuyfitness.com/product_detail_3083.aspx ($579 and the Lat Attachment is $529 =$1108)

This is posted on their website:
    * Please Call Us if you find a lower price, to take advantage of our 110% Price Match Guarantee 1-888-882-2348

I see it's selling for less ($549 and the Lat Attachment is $449 = $998 ) from fitness factory outlet,but I don't know anything about them.
    I would guess that bestbuyfitness would give you the 110% Price Match Guarantee so you might luck out and it be even less than fitness factory's lesser price.

fitnessfactoryoutlet.com/store/Powertec-Power-Rack.html

I found Sam's Club to be the best source for the BodySolid Lat Attachments that I bought.Even with the non-member 10% surcharge ,they still beat everyone's price.
    Wayfair was a close runner up for the items not available at Sam's

irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Stasher1 View Post
    Personally, I'd buy a Tuff Stuff product over a Powertec any day. That rack (RPR-265) has some nice features is built with 2x3 11ga oval tubing, which is more than sufficient for the majority of folks on this forum.

I also like the pin system they use for their spotter arms...

A friend has this rack in a small public gym and it 's a nice rack. I'd choose this over the Powertec also.
    Now OK for Sig line to be a novel