Phastroh1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Securing my Smtith Machine to the floor without anchoring it down.

I purchased a Body Solid Smith Machine. It is their top of the line model with all the attachments.

I have been using it for a year now and my weight lifting amounts have gone up quite a lot for me since I started and now my machine can wobble a little when I am doing squats and shoulder workouts.

Last night I was shoulder pressing 235LBS and I found it not to hard as my last and heaviest set. I was tempted to go up to 250 but I was not happy that the Smith was wobbling some.

Now this is not a flimsy machine in the least and is nicer or as nice as many I have seen at the gyms. It was not cheap either. I just want to be clear it is a heavy duty, well built unit.

I know these things are supposed to be bolted down but being that I have mine inside on my wood floor. I made my den into a gym. The den is large.

So I am wondering if anyone has ever had to figure out how to secure their Smith without having to anchor it into their concrete which I cannot do.

I was thinking of maybe a wooden dock of some sort but then was worried about the weight of the machine and weights.

I also thought of using a few pieces of plywood on 1/2 inch tall 2x4s just to get the bolts off the wood but then I thought I would need a lot of long strips.

Even using 3-4 plywoods and so I can counter sink the bolts without weakening the platform by using single pieces of wood.

I just need to stableize the Smith Machine.

Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks!

Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My advice:

Sell the smith and invest in a decent power rack and you won't have to worry about it moving while you're benching, squatting, pressing, etc.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"An adult male weighs at least 200 pounds." - Mark Rippetoe

▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #44 ▪█──█▪

||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #11 ||---||

thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think you're on the right track with countersinking the bolts head in the bottom. I'd take a couple 1/2 or 3/4 inch sheets of plywood and countersink the bolts into that then put two more 3/4 or 1/2 inch sheets on top of those going to the opposite direction. Kind of like how people show to make a lifting platform. I'd think that would give you plenty of support and the countersunk screw heads on the bottom wouldn't damage your flooring. You could either glue the pieces on top of the base or screw them together in case you ever think you may need to move it.
    "It is my own fault for replying in a smith thread." deadwoodgregg

Ordained Minister of Perpetual Consumption and all around righteous dude.

My home gym pictures: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1632857623&viewfull=1#post1632857623

My workout journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120169181

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Phastroh1 View Post
    Does your Smith Machine have plate storage? If so, one possible solution is to purchase more plates in order to weigh it down more.

If you decide to go the plywood route, look into using either carriage bolts or T-nuts.

Carriage bolts have round heads with a square section on the shank next to the head to allow it to grip against the wood. You'd thread the carriage bolt up from the bottom to secure it to the rack. You may still need to countersink it somewhat in order to keep it flush with the wood.

A T-nut is also intended to be used with wood. You drill a hole all the way through the wood and then affix a T-nut to the bottom. Once it's seated in place, it should sit flush with the bottom of the wood. You'd attach a bolt to it from the top, being careful to select a bolt which doesn't protrude from the bottom of the T-nut once fully tightened.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

Phastroh1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by thedickus View Post
    I think you're on the right track with countersinking the bolts head in the bottom. I'd take a couple 1/2 or 3/4 inch sheets of plywood and countersink the bolts into that then put two more 3/4 or 1/2 inch sheets on top of those going to the opposite direction. Kind of like how people show to make a lifting platform. I'd think that would give you plenty of support and the countersunk screw heads on the bottom wouldn't damage your flooring. You could either glue the pieces on top of the base or screw them together in case you ever think you may need to move it.
    Thanks, that is my plan as of now. I do not want to sell it for a rack. I had that stuff and like being able to rack it when I am fatigued and alone.

I can bench the same on this as I can free weights. I do a lot of barbell and dumbbell stuff to compliment the smith machine. I make sure I get all my stabilizers by doing supersets with dumbbells and so on.

I am a little mad having to do this but I think it will be better for me and the machines longevity. I can just build it and paint it nice, maybe put a sports team on it or something.

thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks, that is my plan as of now. I do not want to sell it for a rack. I had that stuff and like being able to rack it when I am fatigued and alone.

I can bench the same on this as I can free weights. I do a lot of barbell and dumbbell stuff to compliment the smith machine. I make sure I get all my stabilizers by doing supersets with dumbbells and so on.

I am a little mad having to do this but I think it will be better for me and the machines longevity. I can just build it and paint it nice, maybe put a sports team on it or something.
    You don't have to convince me, nor should you have to convince anyone else. I'm all for good quality smith machines.
    "It is my own fault for replying in a smith thread." deadwoodgregg

Ordained Minister of Perpetual Consumption and all around righteous dude.

My home gym pictures: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1632857623&viewfull=1#post1632857623

My workout journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120169181

RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yep this anti smith machine is pure nonsense its almost like they think because someone uses a smith machine is all that they do .That is definitely not the case with most smith machine users inc myself and the op above , get best of both worlds and mix it up .The op does that , i do that and prob most smith machine owners do that , also training alone with heavy weight as the op said the smith can be great for maxing out in safety .

ps The body solid smith has weight holders just load them up that will keep the machine firmly based on the ground .
    Last edited by RussAnderson; 02-14-2013 at 02:06 PM.

JEROMESIMONNET is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JEROMESIMONNET is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JEROMESIMONNET is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JEROMESIMONNET is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JEROMESIMONNET is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JEROMESIMONNET is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JEROMESIMONNET is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JEROMESIMONNET is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JEROMESIMONNET is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JEROMESIMONNET is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JEROMESIMONNET is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    I use straps to hook the smith machine to other machines the best way I can. It is easy to do in a home gym as machines are usually pretty close from one another

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz

Any ideas are welcome.
    Mine would move around a bit with heavy weight loaded on the carriage until I set it on stall mats and left a couple of 45s on the bottom weight storage horns on each side of the frame. No more problem.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Mine would move around a bit with heavy weight loaded on the carriage until I set it on stall mats and left a couple of 45s on the bottom weight storage horns on each side of the frame. No more problem.

^^^^^^^I have a bodysolid series7 smith machine and it's on stall mats and doesn't move at all when racking weight.I've had as much as 350-360lbs on the smith bar and on it doesn't move. My power rack is on stall mats also and doesn't move when racking weight.
    Now OK for Sig line to be a novel

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    ... until I set it on stall mats...
    Originally Posted by irongrandpa View Post
    ... and it's on stall mats and doesn't move at all...

...power rack is on stall mats also and doesn't move...
    Hmm... maybe the answer is "stall mats".

Stall mats are very dense, but will provide a very slight amount of squish if when you put enough weight on them. I'm thinking that this allows the rack or smith machine to settle somewhat to account for any unevenness in the floor.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14