abrownBB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) abrownBB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) abrownBB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) abrownBB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Martial Arts to stay fit.

After my 12 week transformation I want to find a martial art that allows me to stay fit. I also like the offensive/defensive aspect of martial arts but it is primarily to have something other than a gym workout that maintains my fitness.

I have done a decent amount of research but I am just reaching out to the BB community to seek out personal recommendations/experiences with various forms of martial arts.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
    Can't stop... Won't stop...

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu or Judo, IMO.

Kebz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kebz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kebz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kebz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kebz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kebz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kebz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kebz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kebz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kebz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kebz is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Muay Thai is known for its very rough condition training
    Habs | Eagles | Lakers | AC Milan

*QC Crew*
    *Mediterranean Master Race Crew*

PersianMMA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I started looking around for a Martial Arts / MMA school around a year ago for this reason. I have always loved martial arts and wanted to get back into shape and hated just running and going to the gym, so I wanted to do something I enjoyed in order to get a good workout. I joined an MMA gym near where I live and I am in great shape, plus I found I enjoyed fighting and am about to compete.

Generally, the most grueling disciplines are any form of Kick Boxing, Boxing, Muay Thai and WRESTLING. Wrestling is the number one in my opinion, the explosiveness and strength needed for wrestling really makes it a tough and challenging sport. Classes are never slow and you will be doing drills that workout your whole body, from legs to your shoulders. Every single muscle is needed for wrestling, and the conditioning requried is an amazing workout. However, its hard to find just a wrestling school out there if your not in high school.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Judo are great for self defence, however the workouts and drills are not as strenuous and as much of a workout as the above, more so for BJJ. This is because BJJ and Judo emphasize technique and flowing rather than straight explosiveness and strength. They are very good disciplines though. MA's like Karate and "Kung Fu" are typically McDojos and are a ripoff in terms of actual self defence and getting in great shape. However, its all about the school. Go try out all the different gyms you are interested and sit in their classes, you will see what kind of workouts they go through. Choose the one you get most tired at and seems the best.

In my opinion, you should go look for a solid MMA gym around your area. Even if you don't want to compete, it will benefit you in many ways. Real MMA gyms that actually have a fight team will have lots of different coaches and classes, ranging from Kick Boxing to Muay Thai for striking and from BJJ to Judo to Wrestling for ground game. Each class will be different and offer a different workout opportunity, and you will get the best workout of your life in a different form each day. Also, MMA is essentially the best bet to self defence, since you will learn how to handle yourself standing and when on the ground. The problem with MMA gyms is that since MMA has blown up, there are lots of McDojos slapping MMA on their gym and saying they are a MMA gym. These fake MMA gyms have sub par trainers that have never really competed, so they don't know what it takes in order to really put your body through extensive training and dont have the workouts and practical technique real MMA gyms to.

Go sit in at every MMA gym and watch them train, see how intensive it is. Also, talk to the guys there and see if any actually compete and if they compete out of that gym. If they do, then that is a solid bet.

TL;DR

No matter what you decide to do, the most important thing is to go sit in at every MA place you can and get a feel for their classes. Pick one that is not easy and has no real sparring, and with trainers that have first hand experience. For the best workout, look for #1 Wrestling if its available, then Kick Boxing, Boxing and Muay Thai.

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The OP didn't ask for tough and challenging, he asked for "staying in shape"

I began in martial arts over 30 years ago. I have a good deal of experience in many arts, including wrestling, Muay Thai, Judo and BJJ. I even have four pro MMA fights.

I believe the OP's requirements are best met with Judo or BJJ. Wrestling is intimidating and difficult to ome into without dedicating a good portion of your life to. Strict MMA tends to be either very hard, constant work (which may be perfect) or instructed and supervised poorly. Again, it requires dedication, but you could just do some classes and manage.

Muay Thai may be spot on.

BJJ and Judo provide a less committed approach to the beginner. The beginner can then move into competition to add to their fitness and conditioning. Almost every BJJ school has links to MMA teams, which also becomes an option.

Persian MMA said - "Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Judo are great for self defence, however the workouts and drills are not as strenuous and as much of a workout as the above, more so for BJJ"

Frankly, this is utter BS.

He has some good advice, though - go to a number of classes and check them out. Decide from that. And don't listen to what the instructors have to say until you've seen it for yourself.

After 23 years of successful martial arts, I found BJJ. It turned my world on it's head. Figuratively and literally. It helped heal my injuries due to the reduced total impact, increased the resisted sparring (you can spar 20+ hours a week in some schools - in striking arts you would be dead), my mobility improved dramatically and there are a lot more girls, as well. And they tend to be hot crossfitters.....

Originally Posted by krakkerz View Post

I began in martial arts over 30 years ago. I have a good deal of experience in many arts, including wrestling, Muay Thai, Judo and BJJ. I even have four pro MMA fights.

I believe the OP's requirements are best met with Judo or BJJ. Wrestling is intimidating and difficult to ome into without dedicating a good portion of your life to. Strict MMA tends to be either very hard, constant work (which may be perfect) or instructed and supervised poorly. Again, it requires dedication, but you could just do some classes and manage.

BJJ and Judo provide a less committed approach to the beginner. The beginner can then move into competition to add to their fitness and conditioning. Almost every BJJ school has links to MMA teams, which also becomes an option.

Persian MMA said - "Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Judo are great for self defence, however the workouts and drills are not as strenuous and as much of a workout as the above, more so for BJJ"

He has some good advice, though - go to a number of classes and check them out. Decide from that. And don't listen to what the instructors have to say until you've seen it for yourself.

After 23 years of successful martial arts, I found BJJ. It turned my world on it's head. Figuratively and literally. It helped heal my injuries due to the reduced total impact, increased the resisted sparring (you can spar 20+ hours a week in some schools - in striking arts you would be dead), my mobility improved dramatically and there are a lot more girls, as well. And they tend to be hot crossfitters.....
    +1, guy has more experience than me and therefore take his words over mine. However, its all about you personally. Find what works and tailors to your needs and you feel better.

Classes that are tough + challenging usually require you to be in shape/get you in shape no? Also, I was just stating that GENERALLY BJJ classes are less physical and less of a workout than a striking art like Muay Thai or kick boxing and wrestling. BJJ stresses technique and in those classes (gyms I've trained here in Texas at least) go more over technique and do less conditioning, ect. Again, it depends on the gym. Not saying BJJ isn't a good workout because it really still is tough and I love it. Its all about what you put into it

amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    TaeKwonDo

RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    ur gonna get beat up

abrownBB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) abrownBB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) abrownBB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) abrownBB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thanks for the advice! I will have to check into BJJ locations in my area. Right now I know of a boxing and krav maga school close to where I live and close to my gym. Any opinion on either of those?

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu or Judo, IMO.
    I was considering these two… I will have to check into schools near me.

Originally Posted by RearDeltoids View Post
    ur gonna get beat up
    Lol

Registered User heavyhitter1987's Avatar
    heavyhitter1987 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    as a boxer id have to say boxing. Pick up the basics of boxing you'll be able to defend yourself in a couple of weeks effectively. Its challenging, fun and one hell of a workout. muay Thai is also a good bet. Karate has a good learning structure and can be great for fitness.

Personally id stay away from BJJ and wrestling, it takes ages to learn and you'll really just get thrown around for months to years until you become proficient. High chance of injury because nearly everything is joint related, and it only takes one over zealous student to crank an arm bar for example and you wont be lifting weights for months to years. .The flip side to that is, that those sports are well suited to a weightlifter for obvious reasons.

Boxing/thai/karate your getting punched in the face and body, generally swelling lasts 2 weeks. Severe joint injuries are rare, look at mma and how many of its practitioners have been out of training for up to a year. Ie George Saint Pierre

Krav Maga is pure self defence and isn't a "sport" the fitness aspect varies school to school.

Originally Posted by heavyhitter1987 View Post
    as a boxer id have to say boxing. Pick up the basics of boxing you'll be able to defend yourself in a couple of weeks effectively. Its challenging, fun and one hell of a workout. muay Thai is also a good bet. Karate has a good learning structure and can be great for fitness.

Personally id stay away from BJJ and wrestling, it takes ages to learn and you'll really just get thrown around for months to years until you become proficient. High chance of injury because nearly everything is joint related, and it only takes one over zealous student to crank an arm bar for example and you wont be lifting weights for months to years. .The flip side to that is, that those sports are well suited to a weightlifter for obvious reasons.

Boxing/thai/karate your getting punched in the face and body, generally swelling lasts 2 weeks. Severe joint injuries are rare, look at mma and how many of its practitioners have been out of training for up to a year. Ie George Saint Pierre

Krav Maga is pure self defence and isn't a "sport" the fitness aspect varies school to school.
    The Krav Maga school near me offers a package with a bunch of different things including yoga, krav maga, and cross training so I guess I was looking at the whole package. I do like the idea of boxing though. I am not a huge fan of grappling.

MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000)
    +1 for boxing. I can thoroughly recommend it, from personal experience, for general fitness (among other things). It's one hell of a workout, if your trainer/s is/are any good at all.

If you want something a bit different from that, maybe try kickboxing or even Muay Thai (though real Muay Thai is pretty brutal in a number of ways...)

This is a joke, right?

Originally Posted by abrownBB View Post
    The Krav Maga school near me offers a package with a bunch of different things including yoga, krav maga, and cross training so I guess I was looking at the whole package. I do like the idea of boxing though. I am not a huge fan of grappling.
    Boxing over Krav Maga, for sure. As mentioned above, Krav is about self defence only - irrespective of what else is offered. Also, you have to be very careful of instructors in Krav. There are some McDojos out there.

If your trying to decide between Boxing and Krav, go with boxing. If the instructor is legit Krav is great for self defense, but its really hard to spar Krav, so there is usually little or no sparring in lots of Krav gyms. Again, it depends on the gym. Since you dont compete for Krav they usually don't get heavy into conditioning, unless it comes with crossfit or whatever. Boxing gyms usually push all of their guys pretty hard and the sparing is a good workout.

What? BJJ is actually pretty easy to catch on to, and you dont get "thrown" around for that long. The first couple of weeks/months will be challenging, but that is what really gets you into grappling. Once you get the hang of it and actually start to understand the way BJJ works, it starts coming to you a lot easier and you will continue to develop as a grappler. The same exact thing can be said for boxing. These are all combat sports, when you first start out your going to be thrown around and it takes a while to get into the combat mindset, but once your there you will continue to grow as long as you keep practicing. The thing about MA's and combat sports is that there will always be people better than you and you always can ge better. You dont just go train for a couple years and say "okay, im proficient and can kick anyones ass." You keep training so you can keep getting better.

Everything is joint related because grappling uses your whole body, from your legs to abs to neck. This makes it an awesome workout, since you will be incorperating a wide variety of muscles when you train and spar. And injuries are a plague to any sport at all, sometimes **** happens and you get hurt. If you NEVER want to get hurt, sports are not for you. Any contact sport is going to have a risk of injury, but in my opinion BJJ has a pretty low chance. You've never rolled have you? People dont just grab your arm and crank it out of the socket, when you learn submissions you are constantly showed the right way to do it, and emphasis is on protecting your partner. Guys that know lots of submissions and submit you will NOT crank unless they are outright douches. They are taught how dangerous they can be. Also most of the submissions in BJJ are big joints, like the shoulder, elbow, ankle, ect. There are not too many small joint submissions like wrist locks, and those are the joints that get hurt easy. Big joints have a less risk of being injured. The technique and mindset you learn in BJJ really helps develop you as a person and reduces risk of injury, there is a HUGE emphasis on technique and skill rather than outright power.

Did you just compare a UFC champions injury's to getting injured when ding BJJ? Those MMA fighters train twice a day, almost everyday. They are going close to 100% every session and their training sessions are extremely hard so that they can get ready for their fight. In EVERY professional sport their are injuries, its like saying dont play football because of all those running backs tearing their ACL's. That is at the professional level, your risk of injury in a simple BJJ gym is so much less than GSP's or any MMA fighters.

punndambody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    After my 12 week transformation I want to find a martial art that allows me to stay fit. I also like the offensive/defensive aspect of martial arts but it is primarily to have something other than a gym workout that maintains my fitness.

I have done a decent amount of research but I am just reaching out to the BB community to seek out personal recommendations/experiences with various forms of martial arts.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
    Definitely Muay Thai for conditioning.

The evidence for a high rate of injury through grappling is every where and it is no secret. Ask any physio and they can tell you the large volume of injuries through grappling.. Another example is look at the Gracie family, nearly every one in the family has sustained a serious injury IN TRAINING.

Thats ridiculous to say applying pressure directly to joints is safe. You cant vouch for every bjj practitioner in the world. EGO is a major part of any martial art, that is no secret.

ABROWNBB if you want to get fit just box, western and thai will get you fit and be much safer. plenty of amateur competitions avaliable for when you want more of a challenge. OR If you like spending 2 weeks doing JUDO learning how to fall onto the ground, have fun. If you want to roll around on the ground, go for gold. There's plenty of interesting articles on the net that tell the pros of cons of both, find reliable articles by reliable sources and they will for the most part confirm what ive said, stay objective and Good luck finding something that interests you.

2 easily found links:
    jiujitsuvortex.com/2012/09/17/knee-injuries-in-brazilian-jiu-jitsu/
    thefightworkspodcast.com/2011/04/17/bj****njury/
    Alternatively speak to a physio and they will confirm the high rate of joint, tendon injuries. It is still a good sport, but if your main goal is fitness, then it is not ideal. A good grappler isn't really a fit person, its more a very high practical kind of fitness, sport specific. As opposed to boxing/thai where cardio sports play a crucial role in training.
    Last edited by heavyhitter1987; 02-15-2013 at 02:40 PM.

The evidence for a high rate of injury through grappling is every where and it is no secret. Ask any physio and they can tell you the large volume of injuries through grappling.. Another example is look at the Gracie family, nearly every one in the family has sustained a serious injury IN TRAINING.

Thats ridiculous to say applying pressure directly to joints is safe. You cant vouch for every bjj practitioner in the world. EGO is a major part of any martial art, that is no secret.

ABROWNBB if you want to get fit just box, western and thai will get you fit and be much safer. plenty of amateur competitions avaliable for when you want more of a challenge. OR If you like spending 2 weeks doing JUDO learning how to fall onto the ground, have fun. If you want to roll around on the ground, go for gold. There's plenty of interesting articles on the net that tell the pros of cons of both, find reliable articles by reliable sources and they will for the most part confirm what ive said, stay objective and Good luck finding something that interests you.

2 easily found links:
    jiujitsuvortex.com/2012/09/17/knee-injuries-in-brazilian-jiu-jitsu/
    thefightworkspodcast.com/2011/04/17/bj****njury/
    Alternatively speak to a physio and they will confirm the high rate of joint, tendon injuries. It is still a good sport, but if your main goal is fitness, then it is not ideal. A good grappler isn't really a fit person, its more a very high practical kind of fitness, sport specific. As opposed to boxing/thai where cardio sports play a crucial role in training.
    See, this is where advice from the internet is crap. All those links refer to top level and professional competition where the rules allow for rotational attacks to the knee. You don't see knee attacks until purple belt level and no rotational attacks until brown. And since this isn't your typical karate school, purple belt will take 4-6 years.

It's also about competition, where people push a little harder to get the win. Just like receiving a number of standing 8 counts in boxing.

Sorry, it's just a bit tough to hear about how dangerous another martial art is from someone who advocates repeated punching in the head.

I boxed for a lot of years and still teach that as part of our MMA program. There is no more dangerous martial system. There are, however, dangerous instructors and training partners. And that is the fact of the case.

There really is no point discussing this anymore, you have a clear bias and continue to attack facts without promoting valid points other than opinions, and a lack of a professional opinion at that. The fact remains that Grappling (that being BJJ,JUDO,Wrestling) have a higher rate of serious injury over other martial arts. Any Physio will tell you this, its a matter of exposing the body to high risk injuries, both intentional and accidental. Amateur boxing has an average of 2 injuries out of 1000 hours of training, while Grappling has been rated anywhere between 8-13injuries / 1000 hrs during training. Far higher at competition, where both boxing and grappling are as dangerous as each other, however amateur boxing remains far lower than both at competition level.

Don't get me wrong, im not saying grappling is a bad sport, it is great, but the facts remain.

And to answer the initial question of the post, Boxing/Muay Thai will be better for overall fitness as cardio based activities form a foundation to these sports, in comparison to Grappling being majority sport specific type of fitness, where generally the highest on average your heart rate will get to is in the warm up.

Silvance1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Silvance1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Silvance1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Silvance1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Silvance1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Silvance1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Silvance1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Silvance1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Silvance1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Silvance1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Silvance1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Boxers live short lives due to the extreme damage they receive from repeated shots to the head. You see this with a lot of professional football players. There's a significant difference between a minor joint injury in BJJ and a concussion from boxing. They're both chalked up as injuries, but they are not equal. Utilizing data that does not distinguish between such things is not a great way to determine the safety of a particular style in comparison to another. The severity of the typical injury does matter.

Also, I would like to point out, in reference to your statement that boxing is better for cardio than BJJ...Myfitnesspal calculates 30 minutes of boxing, sparring at 368 calories, while 30 minutes of BJJ is 436 calories.

Boxing fitness Training hopskippunch's Avatar
    hopskippunch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
    BJJ mma wrestling and kickboxing.. the toughest workout is wrestling or mma sparring
    www.hopskippunch.com.au
    cardio boxing fitness training

Originally Posted by Silvance1 View Post
    Boxers live short lives due to the extreme damage they receive from repeated shots to the head. You see this with a lot of professional football players. There's a significant difference between a minor joint injury in BJJ and a concussion from boxing. They're both chalked up as injuries, but they are not equal. Utilizing data that does not distinguish between such things is not a great way to determine the safety of a particular style in comparison to another. The severity of the typical injury does matter.

Also, I would like to point out, in reference to your statement that boxing is better for cardio than BJJ...Myfitnesspal calculates 30 minutes of boxing, sparring at 368 calories, while 30 minutes of BJJ is 436 calories.
    That point is actually very deceiving, because there is no accurate measurement of wrestling sparring, you will notice nearly every calorie calculator lumps all wrestling together without a sub title, example nearly every calorie calculator breaks down boxing into 3 categories: bag,sparring, fight where they fail to break down or explain when the test for wrestling was done, training or competition. Also some calculators will give an intensity rating, and they have boxing at 8, where wrestling is usually a 9, which means you are working harder for 30minute reading, which has flaws written all over it as to who actually rated the intensity of the exercise. Not to mention that boxing if rated at fight level will burn more calories than wrestling/ or judo as most the calculators rate it as. (Nearly all calorie calculators share this result) until a calculator clearly defines when and where ie, was it in competition or training the measurement was taken, then your argument is seriously flawed.

I once watched a training DVD with the Gracies training, it went for over an hour and i can tell you now their heart rates would have been lucky to get over 130bpm.

And a source for boxers dying young? sustaining head traumas is no doubt bad for your long term health but it is a big statement alluring to the fact boxers are dropping dead at young ages. Their death rates or generally on par with life expectancies of their respective countries
    Last edited by heavyhitter1987; 02-15-2013 at 05:32 PM.

Silvance1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Silvance1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Silvance1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Silvance1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Silvance1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Silvance1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Silvance1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Silvance1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Silvance1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Silvance1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Silvance1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    That point is actually very deceiving, because there is no accurate measurement of wrestling sparring, you will notice nearly every calorie calculator lumps all wrestling together without a sub title, example nearly every calorie calculator breaks down boxing into 3 categories: bag,sparring, fight where they fail to break down or explain when the test for wrestling was done, training or competition.
    Honestly, while boxing, I've noticed very little difference between sparring and actual boxing. I don't know how they get the caloric differences. I can box full out for 15 minutes without being too worn out, aside from the hits I receive because I'm bad. I can, however, only wrestle or do BJJ for maybe 5 minutes before my muscles give out. It's probably a difference of conditioning though. BJJ is full body while boxing is mostly upper body, though the lower body plays a big part in power.

Registered User PressForSuccess's Avatar
    PressForSuccess will become famous soon enough. (+50) PressForSuccess will become famous soon enough. (+50) PressForSuccess will become famous soon enough. (+50) PressForSuccess will become famous soon enough. (+50) PressForSuccess will become famous soon enough. (+50) PressForSuccess will become famous soon enough. (+50) PressForSuccess will become famous soon enough. (+50) PressForSuccess will become famous soon enough. (+50) PressForSuccess will become famous soon enough. (+50) PressForSuccess will become famous soon enough. (+50) PressForSuccess will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just to throw in the .02 of someone who hasn't been goig for years and years and started MA for the same reason as you OP I found training for muay thai to be the best out of bjj, american boxing, and muy thai. It could be partly due to the gym I go to, but I find it gives you a good total body workout(maybe not quite as much as bjj but close), but that also depends how much you put into it. Also what appealed to me the most is that it was bt far the most fun and felt the most like a sport. I think the importance of this is overlooked by those looking to get into MA as a form of exercise instead of as a full time "thing" or hobby or whatever term you want to use.

My passion is cars, so I chose muay thai since I wanted something fun that woyldnt consume all my time (since my cobalt and rx7 already do an excellent job of that). If I was looking for a new hobby to sink my teeth into, I probably would have leaned more towards bjj or a mix of both. Just something to consider.

Sorry for any typos, posting from my phone and my hands are jittery from post workout.

Originally Posted by Silvance1 View Post
    Honestly, while boxing, I've noticed very little difference between sparring and actual boxing. I don't know how they get the caloric differences. I can box full out for 15 minutes without being too worn out, aside from the hits I receive because I'm bad. I can, however, only wrestle or do BJJ for maybe 5 minutes before my muscles give out. It's probably a difference of conditioning though. BJJ is full body while boxing is mostly upper body, though the lower body plays a big part in power.
    Good point man. It has something to do with burning energy while holding someone else's weight, as well as moving which causes fatigue, however skill generally counteracts being in a position where you are using too much energy. The biggest difference ive noticed between competition and sparring is, you are holding back in sparring and learning, it can be as much as 50% less intense than a competition. There are many factors in your last point which are interesting as well, ie, the type of fighter you are plays a significant part in energy output. An example of this would Be Mike Tyson, he never stopped moving and had explosive legs which enabled KOs. Where a boxer will work of the jab and save energy for mounting attacks, Ali.

Honestly i can remember when i was practicing judo being exhausted, but i attribute that to muscle fatigue over cardio burn out. Where boxing ive nearly gone done with heat, mainly from anaerobic over use and being completely energy depleted.

There really is no point discussing this anymore, you have a clear bias and continue to attack facts without promoting valid points other than opinions, and a lack of a professional opinion at that. The fact remains that Grappling (that being BJJ,JUDO,Wrestling) have a higher rate of serious injury over other martial arts. Any Physio will tell you this, its a matter of exposing the body to high risk injuries, both intentional and accidental. Amateur boxing has an average of 2 injuries out of 1000 hours of training, while Grappling has been rated anywhere between 8-13injuries / 1000 hrs during training. Far higher at competition, where both boxing and grappling are as dangerous as each other, however amateur boxing remains far lower than both at competition level.

Don't get me wrong, im not saying grappling is a bad sport, it is great, but the facts remain.
    Mate, I've boxed for 17 years. I'm also a jiu jitsu purple. You say bias,I say experience. To be fair, though, you have seen a Gracie DVD.

Let me reiterate. One is no worse than the other. I simply take exception to the assertion about injury rates.

Oh, and to establish that I have some level "professional" opinion, here's my pro MMA record. I am no Randy Couture, but I've got some form.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/f/34...ris-McCracken/

The best thing about this is tomorrow, we can get back to actual training and agree to disagree.
    Last edited by krakkerz; 02-15-2013 at 06:57 PM.

Mate, I've boxed for 17 years. I'm also a jiu jitsu purple. You say bias,I say experience. To be fair, though, you have seen a Gracie DVD.

Let me reiterate. One is no worse than the other. I simply take exception to the assertion about injury rates.

The best thing about this is tomorrow, we can get back to actual training and agree to disagree.
    no worries