montecaj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Shoulder problem for past 5 years, didn't know where else to post. Please help!

So basic history is that I use to only bench press and do biceps like every dumb kid in highschool did. One day I was benching and felt a weird feeling in the front of my left shoulder basically along the line that shows if you are ripped. Ever since that day I havent been able to bench without a feeling of extreme fatigue in that shoulder and a weird sort of feeling on the first couple of reps. It isn't a crack, or a tear, its more of a loud stretch that I think releases gas.

So I've gotten an MR arthrogram with contrast which is the highest imaging possible and a very good orthopedist told me that he didn't see anything wrong. I've been through PT but I had already been using those exercises myself to try and correct the issue. The past year and a half I have been training pretty consistently and have gained an extensive knowledge of various workout strategies, methodologies, etc. and the anatomy of the human body (pertaining to muscles especially the shoulder). I have recently been seeing a very knowledgable physical therapist that was referred to me by Eric Cressey and he thinks my problem is with my inability to stabilize my scapula. He seems to think that the muscles surrounding my scapulae, particularly the left scapula aren't strong enough to move my scapula correctly, therefore not clearing up enough space for my arm to move and some sort of impingement is the problem. I definitely agree with these thoughts but I have been focusing on my middle back and lower traps etc. to no avail.

So the problem with working my middle back (rhomboids middle trap/lower trap) is that I can't get a feeling of my left rhomboid (for lack of a better term) I only feel the right rhomboid on rows etc.

When I pull back my shoulder blades I often get an impinging feeling in the front of my left shoulder. Why could this be?

I have brought up to him that I think he is correct and that I also think a lack of rear delt and tight chest are causing the problem. I tend to think my chest is tight because I cant keep my hands on the wall for scapular wall slides without my lower back really arching and compensating. I will provide pictures below, but there is a large space in my delts a little behind my acromion and I think this may be another factor. I have been doing medial/rear delt oriented shoulder workouts and avoiding all anterior delt and pressing movements as much as possible. I also know that my rotator cuffs are very strong because I was told this by two seperate physical therapists.

I have read a ton on the topic and I am just wondering if someone has either gone through this or knows someone who has, and can really shed some in-depth specific light on how I can go about finally fixing this nagging problem. (Pics and video below)

Another note: My left pec is visably more developed than the right and my right delt is visibly more wide than my left.

Note: In picture with no shirt, my neck is so forward just because taking the picture was so hard (though I do have slight forward head posture)
    Attached Images

braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    1.) what activities effect it besides bench pressing ie) does db bench press get the same feeling, moving your arm overhead? place ur thumb down and raise your arm straight out in front of you and try to go as high as you can, does it ellicit pain?

what is your bench press form are you keeping your elbows externally rotated and tucked in at your sides, have you tried not bench pressing for a month or so, are you having pain? or just discomfort
    do you feel any instability in your shoulder?

and pinching you have to be more specific, front as in bicep tendon, front/ontop as in supraspinatus

Originally Posted by braskibra View Post
    1.) what activities effect it besides bench pressing ie) does db bench press get the same feeling, moving your arm overhead? place ur thumb down and raise your arm straight out in front of you and try to go as high as you can, does it ellicit pain?

what is your bench press form are you keeping your elbows externally rotated and tucked in at your sides, have you tried not bench pressing for a month or so, are you having pain? or just discomfort
    do you feel any instability in your shoulder?

and pinching you have to be more specific, front as in bicep tendon, front/ontop as in supraspinatus
    None really illicit the same feeling as bench press. It is generally weaker and less mobile in everything else. I have obviously tried db benching and it induces the same feeling to a lesser degree. No pain otherwise I have been through all the movements PTs and doctors do to check for pain. I know how to bench press correctly.

The pain on benching is barely pain but it really limits my strength and I feel as though I am weak all of a sudden once it happens. I feel like I cant flex the middle left side of my back as well as my right side. I cant be any more specific about the location of the pinching when I flex my middle traps/rhomboids other then it feels like its in the very middle of my shoulder and goes forward towards the front.

Bump

RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    How is the internal rotation ROM of the left in comparison to the right shoulder?
    Tired of boring cardio? Want to add a challenge to your workouts?
    New book available on the Amazon store
    "Cardio Revolution: 54 Fat Loss Finishers - Pack of Cards Workout"

www.revolutionlifestyles.com

Online fitness, nutrition and lifestyle coaching.

Personal training - Wimbledon, SW19.

Fat Loss | Strength Training

kmc1444 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kmc1444 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kmc1444 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kmc1444 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kmc1444 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kmc1444 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kmc1444 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kmc1444 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kmc1444 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kmc1444 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kmc1444 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Shoulder/Back/Scapula/Rhomboid BRACE

You need to Go to a Sports medicine Doctor & have him write you a prescription for a "S3 POSTURE BRACE" so insurance can cover the cost. Or if you have $350, you can order one. I tore my rhomboid along my scapula & I also have rotator cuff issues & horrible rounded shoulders that cause my neck to sit forward.

THIS WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE! & YOU CAN WEAR IT to the gym & work. GOOGLE "S3 POSURE BRACE" & read up on it

Originally Posted by montecaj View Post
    So basic history is that I use to only bench press and do biceps like every dumb kid in highschool did. One day I was benching and felt a weird feeling in the front of my left shoulder basically along the line that shows if you are ripped. Ever since that day I havent been able to bench without a feeling of extreme fatigue in that shoulder and a weird sort of feeling on the first couple of reps. It isn't a crack, or a tear, its more of a loud stretch that I think releases gas.

So I've gotten an MR arthrogram with contrast which is the highest imaging possible and a very good orthopedist told me that he didn't see anything wrong. I've been through PT but I had already been using those exercises myself to try and correct the issue. The past year and a half I have been training pretty consistently and have gained an extensive knowledge of various workout strategies, methodologies, etc. and the anatomy of the human body (pertaining to muscles especially the shoulder). I have recently been seeing a very knowledgable physical therapist that was referred to me by Eric Cressey and he thinks my problem is with my inability to stabilize my scapula. He seems to think that the muscles surrounding my scapulae, particularly the left scapula aren't strong enough to move my scapula correctly, therefore not clearing up enough space for my arm to move and some sort of impingement is the problem. I definitely agree with these thoughts but I have been focusing on my middle back and lower traps etc. to no avail.

So the problem with working my middle back (rhomboids middle trap/lower trap) is that I can't get a feeling of my left rhomboid (for lack of a better term) I only feel the right rhomboid on rows etc.

When I pull back my shoulder blades I often get an impinging feeling in the front of my left shoulder. Why could this be?

I have brought up to him that I think he is correct and that I also think a lack of rear delt and tight chest are causing the problem. I tend to think my chest is tight because I cant keep my hands on the wall for scapular wall slides without my lower back really arching and compensating. I will provide pictures below, but there is a large space in my delts a little behind my acromion and I think this may be another factor. I have been doing medial/rear delt oriented shoulder workouts and avoiding all anterior delt and pressing movements as much as possible. I also know that my rotator cuffs are very strong because I was told this by two seperate physical therapists.

I have read a ton on the topic and I am just wondering if someone has either gone through this or knows someone who has, and can really shed some in-depth specific light on how I can go about finally fixing this nagging problem. (Pics and video below)

Another note: My left pec is visably more developed than the right and my right delt is visibly more wide than my left.

Note: In picture with no shirt, my neck is so forward just because taking the picture was so hard (though I do have slight forward head posture)

Bump

BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    The short answer? Make sure your pressing/pulling ratio is 1:3 and spread your pulling throughout the week. For example. During my bench and overhead press sessions I make sure to do 2 row, chin or posterior delt raise variations for every pressing variation I do. Then I also do one more row, chin or posterior delt raise variation on my squat and deadlift days.

Louie Simmons and Dave Tate also swear by pressing with unstable bars. The easiest way to do this is to hang some 25's off of the bar by a pair of chains so that it's wobbly when you bench and overhead press. I haven't used this myself or on clients but when Louie Simmons or Dave Tate say to do something it is generally a good idea.

Last but not least, it is important to learn how to press effectively with shoulder problems. The key here is going to be learning to tuck your elbows in tight when you press as well as learning to tuck your shoulder blades back. This applies to overhead pressing as well as benching. If you are lifting for strength and not aesthetics it could also be beneficial to arch your back when you bench so that your ROM is decreased slightly, putting less stress on your shoulders and increasing your bench numbers.
    1st Strongman Competition May 3rd, 2014

bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You need to strenthen your lower/middle traps, romboids and rotator cuff. Trap 3 raises and external rotation exercises will fix it but you need to focus on them.

str160 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) str160 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) str160 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) str160 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Does this pain occur when doing press ups also?
    100% or go home.

davidmaan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    this resembles my shoulder issue a lot . have you recovered from this problem? if so how ? it sucks to not be able to work out.