Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    SexyBack1 is just really nice. (+1000) SexyBack1 is just really nice. (+1000) SexyBack1 is just really nice. (+1000) SexyBack1 is just really nice. (+1000) SexyBack1 is just really nice. (+1000) SexyBack1 is just really nice. (+1000) SexyBack1 is just really nice. (+1000) SexyBack1 is just really nice. (+1000) SexyBack1 is just really nice. (+1000) SexyBack1 is just really nice. (+1000) SexyBack1 is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs up How to build big, round shoulders.

Now that we covered the back training during the last article, lets talk about another important body part.

The Shoulders

During my years of working out I've heard people say "my legs are too big", "my back is too big", "my arms are too big" but I've never heard some one say "my shoulders are too big". There are two reasons for that. First, the deltoids are such stubborn muscles to grow. 2nd, there is no such thing as too big shoulders. Matter of fact I wish I had two basket-balls as shoulders .

As I mentioned in the previous article a novice shouldn't complicate his workout at all. All you need as a novice or even at the beginning of the intermediate stage is to stick to the basic movements, progress and profit!

But for an intermediate trainee or someone who is making the jump to a more serious training regimen you need to understand that the deltoids are composed of three different heads: the front(anterior), the middle(medial) and the rear(posterior). Hitting those heads while performing a combination of compound and isolation exercises is necessary to achieve full development.

-Compound Movements

Dumbbell Seated Shoulder press : My favorite Shoulder movement of all time the absence of Bar allows full ROM while Arms are inline with shoulders thus creating no moment-arm this movement will target your front(anterior) and middle(medial) heads respectively.

Behind The Neck Shoulder Press: Such an excellent movement only issue about it is some people find it uncomfortable to perform if you have shoulder/rotators cuff problems stay away from this movement but if you can perform it without any trouble u might find it VERY beneficial. This movement will target your middle(medial) head mainly and to be honest I credit most of my shoulder gains to this movement among with Seated DB Shoulder Press.

Push press: Same as a regular standing overhead press but you start with a slight leg drive. Could be used as a great movement to burst through plateaus on a regular overhead press or performing couple extra reps without having to cheat using your pecs(by bending your torso) which forms huge pressure on the lower back.

Up-Right Row: This movement targets middle(medial) head of the deltoids with minor assistance from the anterior head, biceps, and traps. Using a closer grip puts more emphasis on the traps, while wide grips will hit the lateral heads more. Just like BTN Press this movement isn't for everyone some people will find rotator cuff/shoulders issues while performing it, if you are one of them then don't do it. I only perform this exercise using a wide grip and stop when you reach the middle of your pecs, feels pretty comfortable that way. You can go up to your chins if you can/want tho. You can use DB or BB to perform this exercise, another great variation of this exercise is doing it using a rope on a low cable pulley.

Face Pull: This movement targets your rear(posterior) head of the deltoids, traps and your back's typically weak scapular muscles, which stabilize your shoulder joints. Important note to keep in mind while performing this exercise is to use moderate weight. Never go heavy, other wise you will end up doing cable rows instead of face pull.

-Isolation movements

Front Raises: This exercise is an isolation movement for your front(anterior) deltoids. If you're training your chest and shoulders as you should be, there's probably no need for the Front Raises. You should only do this movement if you feel that your front(anterior) deltoids is lagging.

Rear Deltoids: When it comes to deltoids many lifters are imbalanced front to back. We spend time developing the pecs and anterior delts nowhere near the same amount of time spent on the backside. for this particular reason I highly recommend performing a rear-delt isolation movement. Such as lying/seated rear-delt raises, reverse pec-dec or Incline bench supported rear-delt raises.

Lateral Raises: This is a great isolation movement for the middle(medial) head of the deltoids.
    when performing this exercise keep in mind:
    Stop when your body forms a T any higher than that and you are bringing in the traps.
    Don't just jerk the weight up otherwise the pressure will transfer to the traps.
    Don't lock your elbows, but maintain a slight bent during the exercise.

Shrugs: Traps are such an important muscles they aren't just what you see between your shoulders and neck these are known as the upper traps. Your traps go down to your back therefor hitting them directly is necessary for a full back development, Shrugs are the movement to for it. There are many variations of shrugs. behind the back, front and DB shrugs. when it comes to shrugs when your hands are forward you add emphasis to the back of the trap, when your hands are behind put more to top of your trap for this particular reason a shrug movement performed on an incline bench will hit your rhomboid. Grip width is another element to take into account. Using a wide grip will put more pressure on the outer traps while a closer grip will put more pressure on the inner trap(where your traps meet your neck). Most important note to keep in mind while performing a heavy shrug is Don't roll your shoulders. Use a straight-line ROM rolling your shoulder will risk causing injury specially under such a heavy weight.

The Workout
    As mentioned earlier hitting the 3 heads of the deltoids is necessary to archive full development
    my shoulders day usually look like this:
    - Pressing movement using a BB or DB.or both.
    - Face pull.
    - Lateral raises/upright Rows.
    - Rear Delt Raises.
    - Shrugs.

The Grips
    You will find a lot of thoughts on this but IMO Use the grip that feels more natural and comfortable to you. When it comes to shoulders safety comes first. If you injured your shoulders you are unlikely to perform most upper body movements, which is the last thing you want.

Last but not least
    You need to understand that there is no one size fits all. Everyone's body mechanics are slightly different therefore the body response to each exercise will vary. You need to keep experimenting to find out what works best for you.
    Last edited by SexyBack1; 02-15-2013 at 06:41 AM.
    MUST READ about back development : http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151735043

MUST READ about shoulders development : http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151861353

Vygotsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vygotsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vygotsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vygotsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vygotsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vygotsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vygotsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vygotsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vygotsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vygotsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vygotsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by SexyBack1 View Post
    Now that we covered the back training during the last article, lets talk about another important body-part.

The Shoulders

During my years of working out I've heard people say "my legs are too big", "my back is too big", "my arms are too big" but I've never heard some one say "my shoulders are too big". There are two reasons for that. First, the deltoids are such stubborn muscles to grow. 2nd, there is no such thing as too big shoulders. Matter of fact I wish I had two basket-balls as shoulders .

As I mentioned in the previous article a novice shouldn't complicate his workout at all. All you need as a novice or even at the beginning of the intermediate stage is to stick to the basic movements, progress and profit!

But for an intermediate trainee or someone who is making the jump to a more serious training regimen you need to understand that the deltoids are composed of three different heads: the front(anterior), the middle(medial) and the rear(posterior). Hitting those heads while performing a combination of compound and isolation exercises is necessary to achieve full development.

-Compound Movements

Dumbbell Seated Shoulder press : My favorite Shoulder movement of all time the absence of Bar allows full ROM while Arms are inline with shoulders thus creating no moment-arm this movement will target your front(anterior) and middle(medial) heads respectively.

Behind The Neck Shoulder Press: Such an excellent movement only issue about it is some people find it uncomfortable to perform if you have shoulder/rotators cuff problems stay away from this movement but if you can perform it without any trouble u might find it VERY beneficial. This movement will target your middle(medial) head mainly and to be honest I credit most of my shoulder gains to this movement among with Seated DB Shoulder Press.

Push press: Same as a regular standing overhead press but you start with a slight leg drive. Could be used as a great movement to burst through plateaus on a regular overhead press or performing couple extra reps without having to cheat using your pecs(by bending your torso) which forms huge pressure on the lower back.

Up-Right Row: This movement targets middle(medial) head of the deltoids with minor assistance from the anterior head, biceps, and traps. Using a closer grip puts more emphasis on the traps, while a wide grips will hit the lateral heads more. Just like BTN Press this movement isn't for everyone some people will find Rotators cuff/shoulders issues while performing it, if you are one of them then don't do it. I only perform this exercise using a wide grip and stop when you reach the middle of your pecs, feels pretty comfortable that way. You can go up to your chins if you can/want tho. You can use DB or BB to perform this exercise, another great variation of this exercise is doing it using a rope on a low cable pulley.

Face Pull: This movement targets your rear(posterior) head of the deltoids, traps and your back's typically weak scapular muscles, which stabilize your shoulder joints. Important note to keep in mind while performing this exercise is to use moderate weight. Never go heavy, other wise you will end up doing cable rows instead of face pull.

-Isolation movements

Front Raises: This exercise is an isolation movement for your front(anterior) deltoids. If you're training your chest and shoulders as you should be, there's probably no need for the Front Raises. You should only do this movement if you feel that your front(anterior) deltoids is lagging.

Rear Deltoids: When it comes to deltoids many lifters are imbalanced front to back. We spend time developing the pecs and anterior delts nowhere near the same amount of time spent on the backside. for this particular reason I highly recommend performing a rear-delt isolation movement. Such as lying/seated rear-delt raises, reverse pec-dec or Incline bench supported rear-delt raises.

Lateral Raises: This is a great isolation movement for the middle(medial) head of the deltoids.
    when performing this exercise keep in mind:
    Stop when your body forms a T any higher than that and you are bringing in the traps.
    Don't just jerk the weight up otherwise the pressure will transfer to the traps.
    Don't lock your elbows, but maintain a slight bent during the exercise.

Shrugs: Traps are such an important muscles they aren't just what you see between your shoulders and neck these are known as the upper traps. Your traps goes down to your back therefor hitting them directly is necessary for a full back development, Shrugs are the movement to for it. There are many variations of shrugs. behind the back, front and DB shrugs. when it comes to shrugs when your hands are forward you add emphasis to the back of the trap, when your hands are behind put more to top of your trap for this particular reason a shrug movement performed on an incline bench will hit your rhomboids. Grip width is another element to take into account. Using a wide grip will put more pressure on the outer traps while a closer grip will put more pressure on the inner trap(where your traps meet your neck). Most important note to keep in mind while performing a heavy shrug is Don't roll your shoulders. Use a straight-line ROM rolling your shoulder will risk causing injury specially under such a heavy weight.

The Workout
    As mentioned earlier hitting the 3 heads of the deltoids is necessary to archive full development
    my shoulders day usually look like this:
    - Pressing movement using a BB or DB.or both.
    - Face pull.
    - Lateral raises/upright Rows.
    - Rear Delt Raises.
    - Shrugs.

The Grips
    You will find a lot of thoughts on this but IMO Use the grip that feels more natural and comfortable to you. When it comes to shoulders safety comes first. If you injured your shoulders you are unlikely to perform most upper body movements, which is the last thing you want.

Last but not least
    You need to understand that there is no one size fits all. Everyone's body mechanics are slightly different therefore the body response to each exercise will vary. You need to keep experimenting to find out what works best for you.
    Cool post.
    For shrugs I find it better to move in a diagonal line (up to the ears and trying to squeeze the shoulder blades together).

Opeth09 is a name known to all. (+5000) Opeth09 is a name known to all. (+5000) Opeth09 is a name known to all. (+5000) Opeth09 is a name known to all. (+5000) Opeth09 is a name known to all. (+5000) Opeth09 is a name known to all. (+5000) Opeth09 is a name known to all. (+5000) Opeth09 is a name known to all. (+5000) Opeth09 is a name known to all. (+5000) Opeth09 is a name known to all. (+5000) Opeth09 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Another really good article man! Once again, we do pretty much the same thing. I do my shrugs very heavy, always going straight up and down. I like jerking a little bit too, helps me do some extra weight and crank out a couple extra reps. Anyways, good stuff man!
    My new bulking log. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146899443&p=926377483#post926377483

Mr. SRU 2013 (My first show)
    *1st Place - Open Lightweight *

First Ever PL Meet
    535 Deadlift
    300 Bench
    *1st place

Rpkc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rpkc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rpkc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rpkc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rpkc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rpkc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rpkc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rpkc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rpkc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rpkc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rpkc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Looks good, great article man.
    "Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.'' -Muhammad Ali
    "The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent." ~Arnold
    Pain is what makes us stronger, When you think of giving up because of that Pain remember, Pain is a group of Transformation.It's not about talent, It's about heart.. Pain Is Temporary But Glory Is forever.

Alex54321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alex54321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alex54321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alex54321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alex54321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alex54321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alex54321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alex54321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alex54321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alex54321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alex54321 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    good joob but would not recommend any one doing Behind The Neck Shoulder Press or Up-Right Rows.this exercise is very bad for shoulders and offen cause rotater cuff problems.
    and if your shoulder and delts are smal and your weak bodypart, i would stay away from Shrugs. having big traps will only make your shoulders and delts looks smaler.

SexyBack1 is just really nice. (+1000) SexyBack1 is just really nice. (+1000) SexyBack1 is just really nice. (+1000) SexyBack1 is just really nice. (+1000) SexyBack1 is just really nice. (+1000) SexyBack1 is just really nice. (+1000) SexyBack1 is just really nice. (+1000) SexyBack1 is just really nice. (+1000) SexyBack1 is just really nice. (+1000) SexyBack1 is just really nice. (+1000) SexyBack1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Alex54321 View Post
    good joob but would not recommend any one doing Behind The Neck Shoulder Press or Up-Right Rows.this exercise is very bad for shoulders and offen cause rotater cuff problems.
    and if your shoulder and delts are smal and your weak bodypart, i would stay away from Shrugs. having big traps will only make your shoulders and delts looks smaler.
    If the shoulders are small(beginner) a basic movement such as Over-head Press will do it.

About the BTN Press and Upright Row I already mentioned in the article for each exercise particularly and I couldn't stress it enough if you find it uncomfortable to perform any of these exercises you shouldn't do it
    MUST READ about back development : http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151735043

MUST READ about shoulders development : http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151861353

zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I get the best work in my delts rear and side when I go lighter with the weight. Too heavy and I jerk causing the traps to take over like OP said.
    1708 total @220 Raw
    Improve my total every time I step on the platform.

Being a male is a matter of birth. However, being a "man" is a matter of choice.

Photo in Avi is not current, I'm way fatter now.

JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Good article. I struggle with building my shoulders. I do have big traps for a girl, but I know my delts are lacking.
    Repping Metroins for life
    **TEAM REDRAIDER86**
    MMFC Crew
    ASOT Crew

Originally Posted by zmcdole View Post
    I get the best work in my delts rear and side when I go lighter with the weight. Too heavy and I jerk causing the traps to take over like OP said.
    Yeah definitely, Thanks for your input man!
    Originally Posted by JeannetteEmigh View Post
    Good article. I struggle with building my shoulders. [b]I do have big traps for a girl[b], but I know my delts are lacking.
    Thanks, maybe this have something to do with it, as i mentioned earlier going heavy on rear and side delt movement will end up as trap work instead of the target deltoid head.

JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by SexyBack1 View Post
    Yeah definitely, Thanks for your input man!

Thanks, maybe this have something to do with it, as i mentioned earlier going heavy on rear and side delt movement will end up as trap work instead of the target deltoid head.
    I bet you're right about that one.
    **TEAM REDRAIDER86**
    MMFC Crew
    ASOT Crew

BrandG is a name known to all. (+5000) BrandG is a name known to all. (+5000) BrandG is a name known to all. (+5000) BrandG is a name known to all. (+5000) BrandG is a name known to all. (+5000) BrandG is a name known to all. (+5000) BrandG is a name known to all. (+5000) BrandG is a name known to all. (+5000) BrandG is a name known to all. (+5000) BrandG is a name known to all. (+5000) BrandG is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I like this article a lot. Just a little side-note: most people don't need to complicate shrugs. All I've ever done is I'll grab a pair of 85 lbs dumbbells and do 4-5 sets of 12-20 reps with little rest between and that's IT. Once a week. As long as you have perfect form, that's all you'll ever need.

FB31T is just really nice. (+1000) FB31T is just really nice. (+1000) FB31T is just really nice. (+1000) FB31T is just really nice. (+1000) FB31T is just really nice. (+1000) FB31T is just really nice. (+1000) FB31T is just really nice. (+1000) FB31T is just really nice. (+1000) FB31T is just really nice. (+1000) FB31T is just really nice. (+1000) FB31T is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by BrandG View Post
    I like this article a lot. Just a little side-note: most people don't need to complicate shrugs. All I've ever done is I'll grab a pair of 85 lbs dumbbells and do 4-5 sets of 12-20 reps with little rest between and that's IT. Once a week. As long as you have perfect form, that's all you'll ever need.
    I agree, but I have noticed I have gotten more development by using a variation of grips. I noticed my traps have gotten larger leading into my neck by using a closer grip on heavy barbell shrugs...But you're definitely right in regards to using perfect form in order to promote growth. I got decent trap growth by using 45's for months and doing 15-20 reps per set with a half second squeeze at the top of the movement.

BradMak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BradMak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BradMak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BradMak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BradMak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BradMak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BradMak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BradMak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BradMak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BradMak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BradMak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Originally Posted by BradMak View Post
    Does someone really have to quote your stats?
    **TEAM REDRAIDER86**
    MMFC Crew
    ASOT Crew

Originally Posted by JeannetteEmigh View Post
    Does someone really have to quote your stats?
    or his avi >_<, but oh well.

B1RD33 is not very well liked. (-100) B1RD33 is not very well liked. (-100) B1RD33 is not very well liked. (-100) B1RD33 is not very well liked. (-100) B1RD33 is not very well liked. (-100) B1RD33 is not very well liked. (-100) B1RD33 is not very well liked. (-100) B1RD33 is not very well liked. (-100) B1RD33 is not very well liked. (-100) B1RD33 is not very well liked. (-100) B1RD33 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Best advice for shoulders, get weights and do presses..it's a shame you listen to what people say, why not lift to feel good. If you want bigger shoulders get off the internet right now and go do any variation of presses with weights. MP, DB Press, Push ups.. dumb subject. A lot of short people with no wife I guess..
    <X>B1RD33<X>

Don't use steroids!

EuropeanHammer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EuropeanHammer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EuropeanHammer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EuropeanHammer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EuropeanHammer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EuropeanHammer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EuropeanHammer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EuropeanHammer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EuropeanHammer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EuropeanHammer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EuropeanHammer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Not a bad write-up, when I had 2 dumbbells at age 12 or so all I did was lateral raises and bicep curls and my traps/shoulders got pretty big from just that exercise.
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu l Aesthetics l Strength

Originally Posted by EuropeanHammer View Post
    Not a bad write-up, when I had 2 dumbbells at age 12 or so all I did was lateral raises and bicep curls and my traps/shoulders got pretty big from just that exercise.
    I wish i started lifting at 12 too man

5TR0NGMAN is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 5TR0NGMAN is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 5TR0NGMAN is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 5TR0NGMAN is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 5TR0NGMAN is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 5TR0NGMAN is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 5TR0NGMAN is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 5TR0NGMAN is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 5TR0NGMAN is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 5TR0NGMAN is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 5TR0NGMAN is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    This is my shoulder and traps workout, I do this once per week. Is it too much volume?

Seated DB press 4x10
    Front lateral raise 3x10
    Side lateral raise 3x10
    Lying rear delt raise 3x10

Traps
    Barbell shrugs 4x12

I can't use cables or machines due to only working out at home. So it's either DB or BB.

Virucyde is on a distinguished road. (+10) Virucyde is on a distinguished road. (+10) Virucyde is on a distinguished road. (+10) Virucyde is on a distinguished road. (+10) Virucyde is on a distinguished road. (+10) Virucyde is on a distinguished road. (+10) Virucyde is on a distinguished road. (+10) Virucyde is on a distinguished road. (+10) Virucyde is on a distinguished road. (+10) Virucyde is on a distinguished road. (+10) Virucyde is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Question, what's the difference between rear delt exercises and rhomboid exercises? I mean, obviously the deltoids focus on pulling the weight up while the rhomboids focus on pulling it back, but it seems like most exercises kind of mix the two.

Also, how about the lower traps? Shrugs hit the upper traps, but virtually no one does reverse shrugs(reverse meaning pulling the shoulders down, not reversing the hands) for the lower ones.

jmccauley1229 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmccauley1229 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmccauley1229 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmccauley1229 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmccauley1229 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmccauley1229 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmccauley1229 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmccauley1229 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmccauley1229 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmccauley1229 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmccauley1229 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think straight line ROM for shrugs is the wrong way to go. it should be like the deadlift; back and up. at the bottom of the movement, I like to round my shoulders so I get maximum ROM through my scaps. pull those back first, then the weight goes up.

this does not mean "rolling" your shoulders, just releasing the tension of your scapulas every rep to get more work from more of your traps.

Sh00my will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sh00my will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sh00my will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sh00my will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sh00my will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sh00my will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sh00my will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sh00my will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sh00my will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sh00my will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sh00my will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Awesome post man, really helped. I found that I also get some rear delt stimulation in doing back presses (Behind The Neck Shoulder Press), one of the most under utilised exercises in my opinion.

Thanks.
    Lel.
    "If it doesn't scare you, its not heavy enough!" - Axe

SolidLink22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SolidLink22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SolidLink22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SolidLink22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SolidLink22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SolidLink22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SolidLink22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SolidLink22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SolidLink22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SolidLink22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SolidLink22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Is it ok if I train front and middle delts when on push days and train rear delts when I pull?

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Chest supported wide grip rows are my new favorite for rear delt work.

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs up

Yet another good article, OP.

Originally Posted by Engineer_Guy View Post
    Face pulls and the reverse pec deck for me. Hate doing bentover flyes (current gym sucks).

Opeth09 is a name known to all. (+5000) Opeth09 is a name known to all. (+5000) Opeth09 is a name known to all. (+5000) Opeth09 is a name known to all. (+5000) Opeth09 is a name known to all. (+5000) Opeth09 is a name known to all. (+5000) Opeth09 is a name known to all. (+5000) Opeth09 is a name known to all. (+5000) Opeth09 is a name known to all. (+5000) Opeth09 is a name known to all. (+5000) Opeth09 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by SolidLink22 View Post
    Is it ok if I train front and middle delts when on push days and train rear delts when I pull?
    I don't see why not man. I know a few people who do this. Back when I did each bodypart per week, I would do my front/middle delts on my "shoulder" day and my rear delts on "back" day.
    My new bulking log. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146899443&p=926377483#post926377483

Mr. SRU 2013 (My first show)
    *1st Place - Open Lightweight *

First Ever PL Meet
    535 Deadlift
    300 Bench
    *1st place

Originally Posted by Virucyde View Post
    Question, what's the difference between rear delt exercises and rhomboid exercises? I mean, obviously the deltoids focus on pulling the weight up while the rhomboids focus on pulling it back, but it seems like most exercises kind of mix the two.
    the different is your arm position.

Originally Posted by Virucyde View Post
    Also, how about the lower traps? Shrugs hit the upper traps, but virtually no one does reverse shrugs(reverse meaning pulling the shoulders down, not reversing the hands) for the lower ones.
    Dip bar shrug? those are got for my levator scapulae, pec minor, and serratus anterior activation.
    Last edited by SexyBack1; 02-14-2013 at 03:14 PM.

Originally Posted by Sh00my View Post
    Awesome post man, really helped. I found that I also get some rear delt stimulation in doing back presses (Behind The Neck Shoulder Press), one of the most under utilised exercises in my opinion.

Thanks.
    It is true they hir your lateral delts mostly but your rear delts get a share as well

Originally Posted by SolidLink22 View Post
    Why not!
    Originally Posted by Engineer_Guy View Post
    Pretty good movement it does hit your rear delts but not directly I believe most people will need more rear-delt work to balance the amount of benching and pressing done for the front delt
    Originally Posted by -Lucifer View Post
    Yet another good article, OP.

tokelift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tokelift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tokelift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tokelift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tokelift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tokelift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tokelift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tokelift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tokelift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tokelift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tokelift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thanks for this information, very helpful. Just had 1 question.

I currently don't have the equipment to do face pulls, any suggestions? I feel my rear delts being hit during rows, pull ups/chins and I also isolate them with incline rear delt flyes twice a week.
    I am bulking right now so I don't want to mess up my proportions/posture by neglecting my rear delts (I assume this was the main reason you suggested face pulls?), any suggestions?
    I have heavy DBs, an olympic barbell, an adjustable bench/rack.

Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by tokelift View Post
    Thanks for this information, very helpful. Just had 1 question.

I currently don't have the equipment to do face pulls, any suggestions? I feel my rear delts being hit during rows, pull ups/chins and I also isolate them with incline rear delt flyes twice a week.
    I am bulking right now so I don't want to mess up my proportions/posture by neglecting my rear delts (I assume this was the main reason you suggested face pulls?), any suggestions?
    I have heavy DBs, an olympic barbell, an adjustable bench/rack.
    It's fine if you don't have the equipment to do facepulls. As long as you are hitting your rear delts through some other means, then they won't be neglected.
    S: 455, B: 375, D: 545