Thread: So, I'm fat.

RonDijon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RonDijon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

So, I'm fat.

I grew up a fairly accomplished wrestler and greater accomplished hockey player. While I was never the picture of human perfection, I was always fit and usually could win whatever games of physical one-upmanship among friends and team mates.
    At 21 I was 5'11, 190lbs, never had abs but I had what I guess would be a toughman build. I always had a little gut because I was eating like crap, but I was otherwise fit.

Somewhere along the road I stopped playing sports, stopped training, picked up a pack a day habit, got married, we had a few kids, I took a desk job and now at 27 I'm 5'11" and a 252 pound glob.

Had a health scare a few weeks ago and decided it was time to start treating myself better and give my smokin' hot wife something equally appealing to look at.

My Bodyspace page has my current diet laid out. I've been on it for 2 full weeks and with very minimal exercise lost 14 full lbs.
    Before that I was eating a lot of whatever I wanted, usually cheese and/or real mayonnaise related, and washed down with a 2 liter of mountain dew per day.

I've started doing P90X as the DVDs and a set of Bodylastics resistance bands and push up bars were gifted to me when I mentioned wanting to get in shape.
    I'm really not able to keep up much, but the little bit that I am has my body screaming like its still working enough for now at least.
    I figure that if I just keep trucking along as well as I can and don't quit that eventually I'll be able to do it all no problem.
    My position doesn't really afford me any other options outside of what I'm working with and I'm not necessarily trying to achieve perfection, so I believe this will be well enough.
    I do intend to eventually start building a dumbell set while slowly phasing out the bands though. It's my understanding (and experience) that there isn't much going on on the way down when using the bands.
    I'm on the second day and day 1 was ridiculous. The guys in the video were joking and upping eachother's sets while by the end I was pausing the video and killing myself just to push out one rep.
    Today was better with the plyometrics but by 30 minutes I had to stop and jumped back in at about 40 to finish the routine.
    This one made me realize how much smoking has affected me even after quitting for 3 weeks.

I just felt like joining and posting this as another way of making this "real", so to speak, and certainly hope I haven't stepped outside of this board's topic guidelines. This is a motivational tool for myself, and this is the motivation board so please forgive any confusion if I'm in the wrong.

Oh and HELLO, bodybuilding.com forums!

-Ron
    Attached Images
    Last edited by RonDijon; 02-12-2013 at 03:52 PM.

won cheeky kent m9 Thunderkunt99's Avatar
    Thunderkunt99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Thunderkunt99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Thunderkunt99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Thunderkunt99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Thunderkunt99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Thunderkunt99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Thunderkunt99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Thunderkunt99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Thunderkunt99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Thunderkunt99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Thunderkunt99 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Good luck bro, it may help to post a starting pic, refer to that every now and then and update with a new pic every month so you can visibly see your progress.

I find it hard to motivate myself sometimes. I love lifting weights and pullups etc but when it comes to cardio (which I definately need to do to cut) I hit a brick wall. It pisses me off because I used to jump rope erryday but can't seem to get myself back to my former discipline.

Soon though...

SlimmJimm is a name known to all. (+5000) SlimmJimm is a name known to all. (+5000) SlimmJimm is a name known to all. (+5000) SlimmJimm is a name known to all. (+5000) SlimmJimm is a name known to all. (+5000) SlimmJimm is a name known to all. (+5000) SlimmJimm is a name known to all. (+5000) SlimmJimm is a name known to all. (+5000) SlimmJimm is a name known to all. (+5000) SlimmJimm is a name known to all. (+5000) SlimmJimm is a name known to all. (+5000)
    We all start somewhere. At the start it's the hardest. If we quit we don't lose anything, we just go back to being our former selves that we've been living all our lives. Nothing wrong with that, right? It's at the start when we take our first step outside of our comfort zone that's the hardest and most painful part. But if we can stick it out for just a little bit, something will inevitably happen. Something HAS to happen. You'll gain something, just a little bit. Now it's not so bad anymore. Not only have you gained something tangible and physical, but also something mentally, that is accomplishment. Now you have something to lose if you stop, so you can't stop and you know this. The more time that goes by without you stopping the more you gain and the more you are forced to push forward. It sucks you in like a drug addiction. The ball will keep rolling. You might quit in the future, but those lost gains will haunt you until you go back to the gym. Let it become a part of you and you'll find something special. Don't stop, no matter what in the beginning. It will become second nature eventually. Just stick it out in the beginning. Never stop
    Muscle memory is real.. Check this out

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126586333

JChaos is on a distinguished road. (+10) JChaos is on a distinguished road. (+10) JChaos is on a distinguished road. (+10) JChaos is on a distinguished road. (+10) JChaos is on a distinguished road. (+10) JChaos is on a distinguished road. (+10) JChaos is on a distinguished road. (+10) JChaos is on a distinguished road. (+10) JChaos is on a distinguished road. (+10) JChaos is on a distinguished road. (+10) JChaos is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Not only are you starting out, your bringing in everbody to watch you succeed.

Mad balls sir.

That is how we know your on the right path.

RonDijon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RonDijon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks to all of you for the encouragement! I've + repped all of you and implore you to check my body space this time next month for progress.

Originally Posted by Thunderkunt99 View Post
    Good luck bro, it may help to post a starting pic, refer to that every now and then and update with a new pic every month so you can visibly see your progress.

I find it hard to motivate myself sometimes. I love lifting weights and pullups etc but when it comes to cardio (which I definately need to do to cut) I hit a brick wall. It pisses me off because I used to jump rope erryday but can't seem to get myself back to my former discipline.

Soon though...
    Good luck with that cardio, my friend. Thats certainly the area I know I'll find most daunting. Especially at first.
    I actually have posted starting pics and plan to post regular updates. You can refer to my bodyspace page and also I attached a pic in the first post.
    I assure you though, it's nothing nice. Definitely one I'll look back on as a motivator in the future.

Originally Posted by SlimmJimm View Post
    We all start somewhere. At the start it's the hardest. If we quit we don't lose anything, we just go back to being our former selves that we've been living all our lives. Nothing wrong with that, right? It's at the start when we take our first step outside of our comfort zone that's the hardest and most painful part. But if we can stick it out for just a little bit, something will inevitably happen. Something HAS to happen. You'll gain something, just a little bit. Now it's not so bad anymore. Not only have you gained something tangible and physical, but also something mentally, that is accomplishment. Now you have something to lose if you stop, so you can't stop and you know this. The more time that goes by without you stopping the more you gain and the more you are forced to push forward. It sucks you in like a drug addiction. The ball will keep rolling. You might quit in the future, but those lost gains will haunt you until you go back to the gym. Let it become a part of you and you'll find something special. Don't stop, no matter what in the beginning. It will become second nature eventually. Just stick it out in the beginning. Never stop
    Sage like wisdom and the total truth. Sincerely, thank you for those words.

Originally Posted by JChaos View Post
    Not only are you starting out, your bringing in everbody to watch you succeed.

Mad balls sir.

That is how we know your on the right path.
    And you know this!

MrMichael1392 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrMichael1392 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrMichael1392 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrMichael1392 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrMichael1392 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrMichael1392 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrMichael1392 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrMichael1392 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrMichael1392 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrMichael1392 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrMichael1392 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Keep on kicking ass man!

You've got the motivation fro your family as well as us here. The journey won't be easy, but it can be accomplished!

Livestock has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Livestock has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Livestock has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Livestock has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Livestock has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Livestock has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Livestock has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Livestock has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Livestock has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Livestock has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Livestock has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I know that feeling...the first time I tried Insanity (some program that could be similar to P90X) I got totally demolished. I gave myself 6 months to reinforce my core and my body so that I can do it properly. Thing is for sure: You are on the right track with P90X...the more you push the more you will get results. I am part of a similar scenario: 29 y/o 5'11" ...cept for me I designed a very simple diet and routine for myself which has a duration of 6 months. It roughly goes as such: Fist size portion of lean meat; fist sized portion of whole veggies, vitamins, fat caps and plenty of water plus a 4 execise routine done 3x per week to build up my core for compound readiness. With this diet I've already lost about 7-10 pounds in 2-3 weeks. Which is way more than I've lost in the past. It's simple and I have a better time with my core and lower back. I would also advise to not to overuse this board as that would take you away from something else that you could do which would be more productive for you in both fitness and life.
    "I'll have a double big mac combo...with a DIET SODA!"
    I'm on a diet.

update: I've been sticking with my dieting and P90x while also adding a mile on the treadmill to my preworkout.
    I can put the mile down in about 12.5 minutes. I understand that's far from ideal, but I'm obese, asthmatic, and was a pack a day smoker for 14 years until the first of this month.

The P90x is still kicking my ass, but I absolutely LOVE the shoulders and arms day. I really push myself and I can feel and see a difference on my upper arms already after just 3 weeks.

Progress is I'm down to 242 from 266 at the start of my diet and from 252 at the start of my workout regimen.
    Thanks for all the support you guys have shown me. I can't wait to pop back in with more progress.

Oh! Forgot to mention that I signed up for a 5k at the end of april.
    Its a non competitive event, but I wanted something to work for and push myself to perform.
    The colorvibe . com

KidFrost21 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KidFrost21 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KidFrost21 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KidFrost21 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KidFrost21 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KidFrost21 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KidFrost21 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KidFrost21 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KidFrost21 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KidFrost21 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KidFrost21 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Nice, good progress already. Personally the best motivational thing I have come up with is the "giving my beautiful wife something worth looking at" Stick with it man.

ohionative has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Congrats on your 24lb loss already man, that's great. Just keep encouraged and that 5k will be yours. Doing great on the 12.5 min mile too. Keep it up.

Edit: When you wrestled how effective was that for you to getting in shape or maintaining weight? Did you have to cut much or were you pretty much at weight all year?

mcal07 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mcal07 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mcal07 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mcal07 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mcal07 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mcal07 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mcal07 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mcal07 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mcal07 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mcal07 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mcal07 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I left a comment on your BodySpace. Keep trucking along. I can offer some diet advice, just send me a PM.

5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000)
    Welcome! I'll be watching your progress. Keep it up.

V3x will become famous soon enough. (+50) V3x will become famous soon enough. (+50) V3x will become famous soon enough. (+50) V3x will become famous soon enough. (+50) V3x will become famous soon enough. (+50) V3x will become famous soon enough. (+50) V3x will become famous soon enough. (+50) V3x will become famous soon enough. (+50) V3x will become famous soon enough. (+50) V3x will become famous soon enough. (+50) V3x will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Goodluck ron, repped

JChaos is on a distinguished road. (+10) JChaos is on a distinguished road. (+10) JChaos is on a distinguished road. (+10) JChaos is on a distinguished road. (+10) JChaos is on a distinguished road. (+10) JChaos is on a distinguished road. (+10) JChaos is on a distinguished road. (+10) JChaos is on a distinguished road. (+10) JChaos is on a distinguished road. (+10) JChaos is on a distinguished road. (+10) JChaos is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Been having some trouble keeping myself in line lately. Next time I fall out I'm going to look you up for inspiration.

devinchi18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) devinchi18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) devinchi18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) devinchi18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) devinchi18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) devinchi18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) devinchi18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) devinchi18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) devinchi18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) devinchi18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) devinchi18 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You got this man, kicking one addiction to pick up another is normally a bad thing. Unless you pick up fitness haha.

Good luck man, stay strong!

P.S. hopefully I will be able to kick chewing tobacco to the can soon. Nasty habit
    "I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than i was yesterday"

brb... bulking

drgymapp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good luck Ron, don't forget that consistency is the key. Most people go too hard when they're starting up, so make sure you're following a pace that you'll be able to follow for your whole life ! The journey is more important than the destination.
    DrGym, The Only Fitness App You'll Ever Need

Get the app now, for FREE :

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/drgym/id573600086?ls=1&mt=8

Originally Posted by JChaos View Post
    Been having some trouble keeping myself in line lately. Next time I fall out I'm going to look you up for inspiration.
    I appreciate the kind words both here and on my bodyspace, but rest assured that YOU GUYS (and gals) are MY inspiration.
    Someday I'm gonna zoom back off my beard and have a rocked upper body mirror shot avatar too!

Originally Posted by mcal07 View Post
    I left a comment on your BodySpace. Keep trucking along. I can offer some diet advice, just send me a PM.
    Very much appreciated, my friend. PM sent your way!

Originally Posted by ohionative View Post
    Congrats on your 24lb loss already man, that's great. Just keep encouraged and that 5k will be yours. Doing great on the 12.5 min mile too. Keep it up.

Edit: When you wrestled how effective was that for you to getting in shape or maintaining weight? Did you have to cut much or were you pretty much at weight all year?
    I hit my growth spurt fairly early and stayed at about 180 from the time I was 13 to my mid 20s. I wrestled at both 171 and 189 without much change in my lifestyle. Team workouts and neighborhood yard ball was all I ever needed to stay where I needed to be.

I really am amazed how much interest my little thread here has generated. I'm glad too because in a way its putting pressure (good pressure) on me to keep performing.
    This site and you people (what do I mean YOU PEOPLE?) have been so supportive. I've exhausted all the rep I'm allowed to give in 24hrs, but I wish I had more.
    Thanks so much and keep checking back for my progress! :-)
    Last edited by RonDijon; 02-27-2013 at 07:24 AM.

lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Be sure to check out liveexercise.com(it's bodylastics training site). I've been working out with their chiseled bands show for years. They have amazing cardio shows too. They put out new episodes pretty much daily.