hatman007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Help with Squats

So I'm having some trouble with my squats. When I try them I usually have pain in my left knee and my lower back.
    I believe I have a good form but I would need second opinion. Because of this I've been doing leg presses and I don't have any of these issues.
    Is this a good compromise? Or should I really consider getting someone to check my form and get back to the squats?

I can usually push about 360- 450lbs on the leg press (I've maxed out recently with 540lbs and the knee and back were fine).

Barely can do 180lbs on a squat without it really being painful. Heck goblet squats with an 80lbs dumbell hurt my knee.

(I posted this in the wrong forum first, I hope I deleted it properly.)

misfit28 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) misfit28 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) misfit28 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) misfit28 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) misfit28 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) misfit28 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) misfit28 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) misfit28 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) misfit28 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) misfit28 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) misfit28 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by hatman007 View Post
    So I'm having some trouble with my squats. When I try them I usually have pain in my left knee and my lower back.
    I believe I have a good form but I would need second opinion. Because of this I've been doing leg presses and I don't have any of these issues.
    Is this a good compromise? Or should I really consider getting someone to check my form and get back to the squats?

I can usually push about 360- 450lbs on the leg press (I've maxed out recently with 540lbs and the knee and back were fine).

Barely can do 180lbs on a squat without it really being painful. Heck goblet squats with an 80lbs dumbell hurt my knee.

(I posted this in the wrong forum first, I hope I deleted it properly.)
    I'd get some help with form.

Is there a certain area of the knee that is painful?

Yeah usually the front (ACL?? I think) Sometimes the outside. It keeps me from wanting to do squats because I don't want to injure anything.

Thaedius is on a distinguished road. (+10) Thaedius is on a distinguished road. (+10) Thaedius is on a distinguished road. (+10) Thaedius is on a distinguished road. (+10) Thaedius is on a distinguished road. (+10) Thaedius is on a distinguished road. (+10) Thaedius is on a distinguished road. (+10) Thaedius is on a distinguished road. (+10) Thaedius is on a distinguished road. (+10) Thaedius is on a distinguished road. (+10) Thaedius is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You need to post a video of you doing them for anyone to help you out with form issues. Aside from just reading whats already in publication on how to do it. But knee and back pains are problems common with poor form. And most knee issues stem from foot issues. So again a video of how you would typically conduct on a normal training day is necessary for some advice.
    Audioholic - Paradigm Studio 100's, CC-690, Velodyne DD-15, Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH. When I play my music loud, neighbors down the street hear it.

Ok I will try once I get some time. Might be a few days before I can.
    What about the difference with squats and leg presses? (I'm sorry if that's a can of worms) Pro and cons of each. Are they a decent substitute for squats?

(Or am I just asking to flamed? :P )

Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If knees hurt you might be bringing them too forward, try pushing hips back more? Perhaps make a video to see yourself.

BZBantam is on a distinguished road. (+10) BZBantam is on a distinguished road. (+10) BZBantam is on a distinguished road. (+10) BZBantam is on a distinguished road. (+10) BZBantam is on a distinguished road. (+10) BZBantam is on a distinguished road. (+10) BZBantam is on a distinguished road. (+10) BZBantam is on a distinguished road. (+10) BZBantam is on a distinguished road. (+10) BZBantam is on a distinguished road. (+10) BZBantam is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by hatman007 View Post
    Ok I will try once I get some time. Might be a few days before I can.
    What about the difference with squats and leg presses? (I'm sorry if that's a can of worms) Pro and cons of each. Are they a decent substitute for squats?

(Or am I just asking to flamed? :P )
    Squats work the core, you need stability while performing a free weight squat. You do not get this benefit with the leg press. You can achieve strength and size gains in the legs using the press, however I wouldn't ignore the squat. have someone check your form or post a video. I also found doing Front squats helped with my form and gave a nice carry over to the back squat.

schmedes2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schmedes2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schmedes2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schmedes2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schmedes2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schmedes2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schmedes2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schmedes2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schmedes2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schmedes2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schmedes2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    To me it sounds like your IT band might be tight which is common. My get so tight that I can't even do lunges without pain. Try foam rolling your IT bands with a foam roller as well as tennis ball. Also, post vid
    Lift big, get skinny. Lift big, get big
    Lift-Big.com

Originally Posted by schmedes2 View Post
    To me it sounds like your IT band might be tight which is common. My get so tight that I can't even do lunges without pain. Try foam rolling your IT bands with a foam roller as well as tennis ball. Also, post vid
    Thanks, I just looked up the "IT band" on wikipedia and I wonder if that's at least part of it. In the article it says that high arches and supination are also causes of it. Of course I have both.
    Any suggestions on what foam rolling technique to help loosen it up?

I've also had problems with my sciatic nerve on that side. I'm beginning to see a pattern here.