WinSauce is not very helpful. (-500) WinSauce is not very helpful. (-500) WinSauce is not very helpful. (-500) WinSauce is not very helpful. (-500) WinSauce is not very helpful. (-500) WinSauce is not very helpful. (-500) WinSauce is not very helpful. (-500) WinSauce is not very helpful. (-500) WinSauce is not very helpful. (-500) WinSauce is not very helpful. (-500) WinSauce is not very helpful. (-500)

Question Submersible waterproof backpacks?

Hey guys,

So here is the problem statement:

I need to find a low profile backpack which will keep my dry gear dry while swimming

Description:

Currently:
    I do 4-5 mile beach runs in boots, long pant and shirt then I do 2 mile or so swim later in the day

What I want to do:
    is run 4-5 miles, throw my gear in a watertight backpack that is designed to minimize drag to at least a certain degree (hence the low profile spec.) and swim back (the extra bit of weight is a welcome challenge and I would push out the air to the best of my ability to reduce buoyancy)

** While doing my google search prior to posting here, I came across someone suggesting tying up the gear in a few heavy duty trash bags and then putting them in the backpack. As romantic as this idea sounds, If I do not drown from the backpack instantly filling up with water, I will spend another 40 hours afterwards drying it.

Thank you all in advance and I appreciate any help and suggestions not involving heavy duty trash bags!

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Maybe something like this?

Cascade Designs SealLine Black Canyon Boundary Dry Pack

It's intended for canoeing and kayaking. Not sure how well it'll work for swimming. My guess is that it'll stay dry, but it might cause a lot of drag.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

RL Erik 'Iwhspr Fe comes' matrix563's Avatar
    matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    maybe a regular backpack with a giant zip lock bag inside? lol
    ▪█───────█▪ Equipment Crew #46 ▪█───────█▪
    ▪█───────█▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #21 ▪█───────█▪
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #33 ||---||

~ 5th dimensional being ~

rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by KBKB View Post
    Maybe something like this?

Cascade Designs SealLine Black Canyon Boundary Dry Pack

It's intended for canoeing and kayaking. Not sure how well it'll work for swimming. My guess is that it'll stay dry, but it might cause a lot of drag.
    I was going to suggest this as well. There are a number of manufacturers who make dry bags in a variety of sizes. It shouldn't be hard to find something that will work for you. Worst case scenario, you may have to rig up some kind of shoulder straps on your own so it sits where you want it to sit while you are swimming, but that shouldn't be hard to do. Check out REI dot com as a place to start.
    Last edited by rlundregan; 02-12-2013 at 05:39 AM.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #29 []---[]
    []---[] York Barbell Club #59 []---[]
    []---[] Equipment Crew #48 []---[]
    l l---l l Rogue Barbell Club #3 l l---l l
    []---[] Mech6 Crew #9 []---[]

Location: Crawley, West Sussex, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    RhysGM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I can't post links but what about this;

www .over-board. co. uk/pro-sports-waterproof-backpack-20ltr-yellow.html

www .over-board. co. uk/backpacks/all-backpacks.html

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by rlundregan View Post
    I was going to suggest this as well. There are a number of manufacturers who make dry bags in a variety of sizes. It shouldn't be hard to find something that will work for you. Worst case scenario, you may have to rig up some kind of shoulder straps on your own so it sits where you want it to sit while you are swimming, but that shouldn't be hard to do. Check out REI dot com as a place to start.
    The photo doesn't show it well, but I think that the bag I linked has shoulder straps and can be worn as a backpack.

Here's a photo of the other side:

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    SeaLine is the way to go for dry bags. OP, I'm curious about your running and swimming routine. Is this tied to work? It is an understatement to say that boots are not ideal for running. Plus, the guys I've known who would have a similar workout would already know about dry bags and packs, including for weapons. . . . .
    You need a good rack, a bench, and a 300-lb Olympic weight set. Now, what was your question?

My home gym: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1465291461&viewfull=1#post1465291461.

()---() York Barbell Club #1 (DD, RH, Kg) ()---() []---[] Equipment Crew #36 []---[] []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #51 []---[] [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #29 [M]===[6] ~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by KBKB View Post
    The photo doesn't show it well, but I think that the bag I linked has shoulder straps and can be worn as a backpack.

Here's a photo of the other side:

Yeah, I was really thinking one of their smaller bags, to minimize drag. It seems like a smaller bag might work well for what he is carrying, and I didn't think most of the smaller ones came with straps. When I looked at the link you provided, I realized that a lot has changed in the 20 years or so since I got my bag from REI! That one was huge (I bought it specifically for a week in the Boundary Waters), and the strap system was not nearly as nice as the one in your picture.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #29 []---[]
    []---[] York Barbell Club #59 []---[]
    []---[] Equipment Crew #48 []---[]
    l l---l l Rogue Barbell Club #3 l l---l l
    []---[] Mech6 Crew #9 []---[]

PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by rlundregan View Post
    I've done a lot of canoeing and kayaking, and if you're actually swimming with it (rather than just needing it to get get wet if it starts raining) you *definitely* need a "dry bag". I would *also* put another waterproof bag inside it - this is the biggest one I know of -
    http://www.rei.com/product/758707/lo...-bags-20-x-125

In case the bag doesn't seal completely. If it's just your shoes, shirt, clothing, that would dry if it accidentally got wet, you might not need it. But we all learned from experience that if you have anything that *can't* get wet (cell phone, sleeping bag, etc) you should definitely put it in another waterproof bag inside the main bag just in case.

I think the way it's usually done is that you use a rope to let the bag float behind you while swimming. There's gotta more more info on the internet on other sites from people who have tried doing something similar...

tickifroyoticki has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tickifroyoticki has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tickifroyoticki has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tickifroyoticki has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tickifroyoticki has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tickifroyoticki has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tickifroyoticki has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tickifroyoticki has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tickifroyoticki has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    There are a number of manufacturers who make dry bags in a variety of sizes. It shouldn't be hard to find something that will work for you.

Registered you, sir. trimble006's Avatar
    trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I would suspect that wearing a backpack styled bag while swimming would prove to be much more annoying and difficult to swim with than attaching a drybag(With air in it to keep it afloat) on a rope to your ankle while you swim... I know how difficult it is to throw something while wearing a backpack, I can only imagine the struggles you'd endure to try and keep it slung over your shoulders whilst swimming.

Before making a purchase, as I imagine they're fairly expensive bags, you should think about trying the regular backpack and garbage bags for one swim to test out the mechanics/comfort of it.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #54 ▪█─────█▪

-✘- Edmonton Oilers -✘-
    -✘- Toronto Blue Jays -✘-