RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Dilema help me out here Guys Smith machine content

Hi guys so im looking to do heavy standing calf raises and lunges , im really bad at balance with barbell lunges so much so i fecked up last time.Got down couldn't get the bar up to rack it as my leg just gave out .Would a smith machine be a good alternative? sure i can stand with a heavy barbell like a squat but those one legged lunges be really tricky .How effective is a smith machine for standing calf raises ive heard some say they liked using one .Wouldnt be full bar squatting on one just for lunges and calf raises and maybe heavy shoulder presses or shrugs every now and again .i train alone and dont have a spotter so im not in the safest position at the best of times and can never push to true failure on heavier compounds hence the smith machine idea,Cheers in advance for any feedback .

thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Doing lunges in a smith machine is more like a barbell split squat, not a true lunge where you take the step/lunge forward and return to the feet together position, then step/lunge forward with the other foot.. It's still an effective exercise. This you could probably do in the rack since you unrack the weight put your foot forward and squat down. You do your reps for one leg and then switch legs. I like these in a smith machine. Takes the balancing aspect out of the equation and lets you concentrate on the quads, hams, and glutes.
    I'll do standing calf raises on the smith if I have no other option. I wouldn't try them in a rack unless it was secured down and I could really lean forward to brace the bar against the uprights. I do like them for shrugs, especially reverse shrugs.
    I prefer doing behind the neck presses with a smith as opposed to a barbell. For military presses I prefer the barbell. But that's just what feels more comfortable to me.
    Smiths are great for doing neck presses, really stretches and hits the upper pecks. I've heard these referred to as guillotine presses too.
    "It is my own fault for replying in a smith thread." deadwoodgregg

Ordained Minister of Perpetual Consumption and all around righteous dude.

My home gym pictures: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1632857623&viewfull=1#post1632857623

My workout journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120169181

Home gym 'til I die. ProtienandIron's Avatar
    ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by RussAnderson View Post
    Hi guys so im looking to do heavy standing calf raises and lunges , im really bad at balance with barbell lunges so much so i fecked up last time.Got down couldn't get the bar up to rack it as my leg just gave out .Would a smith machine be a good alternative? sure i can stand with a heavy barbell like a squat but those one legged lunges be really tricky .How effective is a smith machine for standing calf raises ive heard some say they liked using one .Wouldnt be full bar squatting on one just for lunges and calf raises and maybe heavy shoulder presses or shrugs every now and again .i train alone and dont have a spotter so im not in the safest position at the best of times and can never push to true failure on heavier compounds hence the smith machine idea,Cheers in advance for any feedback .
    I know this is the Eq forum and I should be telling you to buy it, but how about just sorting out the issues stopping you from going freeweight?

How long have you been bb lungeing? If its new to you then you may have gone to heavy too soon, whilst not knowing your own limits yet.

If its a blance issue, then try doing things that improve your balance. I have never bought into the bosu or swissboll**ks, but I saw great improvements in my balance from using indo and wobble boards. The biggest improvements in this movement though will just be to do the movement more.

I assume you don't have the same balance problem with an empty bar, so try resetting/dropping the weight and building it back up gradually.

Just a few thoughts, I could be way off from what you need or want though.
    My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

[]---[] Equipment Crew #43 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #1 -!!!---!!!-
    ()---() York Barbell Club #4 ()---()

RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    hi guys thanks for the feedback really very useful thank u ,basically in short i have bad hearing problems that effect my balance and coordination .That's not good when i have heavy free weights above my head , im working on it but dont want to kill myself with a barbell crashing down on me head.As mentioned i wouldn't be using the smith for everything just movements that require a lot more balance than others .I also have weak stabilizers always have really struggle to keep a balance so its more those issues thats made me want to try a smith again .Some days are better than others but as i train alone it can be risky and i seriously dont want to give this up or injure myself.Im buying one from watson gym it has a gun rack so i can still use free-weight movements as well. I know they get a bad wrap but i also know if used right they can be inc into a training routine and be very useful indeed.

ps i should add the lunges i do are more like one leg static ones i dont alternate each leg every 2nd rep .

Home gym 'til I die. ProtienandIron's Avatar
    ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I personally do them 1 leg at a time basically a split squat. If you want to know anything to do with lunges, Ironwill is your man.
    My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

[]---[] Equipment Crew #43 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #1 -!!!---!!!-
    ()---() York Barbell Club #4 ()---()

irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ProtienandIron View Post
    I personally do them 1 leg at a time basically a split squat. If you want to know anything to do with lunges, Ironwill is your man.
    Ironwill also has a smith that he uses, as do I, as already shared here, they're are great for some exercises if used properly. They're just another tool to use in the gym.
    Now OK for Sig line to be a novel