Thread: Bumpers or Not

Location: Crawley, West Sussex, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    RhysGM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bumpers or Not

Should I buy bumpers for my home gym or should I get some normal Olympic plates? I might eventually want to get a preacher bench and maybe a curl or tricep bar. I'm assuming big bumpers wont really work on these?

So do I go for cheaper weights and get a preacher bench with a variety of bars or more expensive bumpers only?

my options;

www .powerhouse-fitness. co. uk/bodymax-cf625-heavy-duty-preacher-curl-bench.php
    www .powerhouse-fitness. co. uk/bodymax-100kg-olympic-rubber-radial-barbell-kit-with-7-bar.php

or

www .strengthshop. co. uk/weight-plates/coloured-bumper-plates/100kg-set-of-bumper-plates-coloured-1.html
    www .strengthshop. co. uk/bars/olympic-bar.html

Opinions, anyone?

Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'd say if you are questioning whether or not you need them...you don't. I'd recommend buying as many regular olympic plates as you can, and then down the road if you're cleaning enough weight you have to drop it then consider picking up just what you need in bumper plates and not more.

Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by RhysGM View Post
    Should I buy bumpers for my home gym or should I get some normal Olympic plates? I might eventually want to get a preacher bench and maybe a curl or tricep bar. I'm assuming big bumpers wont really work on these?

So do I go for cheaper weights and get a preacher bench with a variety of bars or more expensive bumpers only?

my options;

www .powerhouse-fitness. co. uk/bodymax-cf625-heavy-duty-preacher-curl-bench.php
    www .powerhouse-fitness. co. uk/bodymax-100kg-olympic-rubber-radial-barbell-kit-with-7-bar.php

or

www .strengthshop. co. uk/weight-plates/coloured-bumper-plates/100kg-set-of-bumper-plates-coloured-1.html

Opinions, anyone?

Last edited by Stasher1; 02-11-2013 at 09:59 AM.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"An adult male weighs at least 200 pounds." - Mark Rippetoe

▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #44 ▪█──█▪

||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #11 ||---||

twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

For the question above, the answer is yes, no, maybe.

Tell us what you want to use them for in your gym ( ie. c&j, snatch, press, bp deadlift, etc.), whether you can lift overhead in your gym, what kind of floor you have, etc. Be specific with your question if you want a specific answer.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do, than by the ones you did" Mark Twain

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats" H. L. Mencken

[]---[] Equipment Crew #42 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #18 ()---()

Originally Posted by twodog View Post
    For the question above, the answer is yes, no, maybe.

Tell us what you want to use them for in your gym ( ie. c&j, snatch, press, bp deadlift, etc.), whether you can lift overhead in your gym, what kind of floor you have, etc. Be specific with your question if you want a specific answer.
    My gym is in a spare room with a carpet, for now I'll just be using them for deadlifts at the correct height, and also squats/bench presses in a power rack. It's more for later on down the line, will I regret not getting bumpers or will I get more use out of regular olympic plates being a beginner.

rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My gym is in a spare room with a carpet, for now I'll just be using them for deadlifts at the correct height, and also squats/bench presses in a power rack. It's more for later on down the line, will I regret not getting bumpers or will I get more use out of regular olympic plates being a beginner.
    I wrestled with this briefly about a year ago. I chose not to bother with bumpers, and I haven't missed them. Stick with iron for now--like someone above said, if you need them later, get them then, and get only what you need.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #29 []---[]
    []---[] York Barbell Club #59 []---[]
    []---[] Equipment Crew #48 []---[]
    l l---l l Rogue Barbell Club #3 l l---l l
    []---[] Mech6 Crew #9 []---[]

Ok, I'll stick with the cheaper ones then.

This is the bar bundled with the rubber coated iron plates;

www .powerhouse-fitness. co. uk/powerhouse-7-foot-chrome-olympic-barbell-700lb.php

but is this one significantly better;

Is it worth investing at extra £50 in this bar and buying the weights separately?

rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

www .powerhouse-fitness. co. uk/powerhouse-7-foot-chrome-olympic-barbell-700lb.php

Is it worth investing at extra £50 in this bar and buying the weights separately?
    "Rubber-coated iron" is quite different from "bumper"....If you drop the rubber-coated iron plates, you could very well damage your floor, not to mention the bar and the plates.....
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #29 []---[]
    []---[] York Barbell Club #59 []---[]
    []---[] Equipment Crew #48 []---[]
    l l---l l Rogue Barbell Club #3 l l---l l
    []---[] Mech6 Crew #9 []---[]

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I'm skeptical of rubber coated iron. It seems to me that the rubber could split if your set it down hard enough (or drop it). I have a cheap rubber coated dumbbell for which this happened - I'm not even sure how it happened either as it's not particularly heavy and it never got (badly) abused.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

Location: Birmingham, Westmidlands, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000)

curious about this bar, seems to have good reviews, would it be a good choice to get rid of my 32mm bar for that 28mm?
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #4 -!!!---!!!-

iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Stasher1 View Post
    I think this video says it all really. OP, if you have loads of money, buy expensive bumpers if you really feel the need. To be honest you can just get away with iron plates.

I have my gym room covered in 18mm stall mats for flooring. My dead lift area has 2 sets of 18m stall mats underneath the weight plates as well so I have 54mm of absorbtion. I imagine this is more than the rubber around bumper plates, but I'm more than likely wrong.

KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    If Rip says you don't need bumpers, you don't need bumpers. I'm sure you'll be fine with regular old plain-Jane olympic plates.

oicok will become famous soon enough. (+50) oicok will become famous soon enough. (+50) oicok will become famous soon enough. (+50) oicok will become famous soon enough. (+50) oicok will become famous soon enough. (+50) oicok will become famous soon enough. (+50) oicok will become famous soon enough. (+50) oicok will become famous soon enough. (+50) oicok will become famous soon enough. (+50) oicok will become famous soon enough. (+50) oicok will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i was battling with the same problem for some time, i went with York bumpers plates and a nice bar instead of steel plates set. The price was right and with what i had already had in my home gym, it was the right move for me. If i had a power rack first i probably would have bought iron plates but i don't so it nice that i can still do some leg workouts like front Squats, DL, shoulder presses etc.. and not worry when i drop the weight

Aussieguy101 is just really nice. (+1000) Aussieguy101 is just really nice. (+1000) Aussieguy101 is just really nice. (+1000) Aussieguy101 is just really nice. (+1000) Aussieguy101 is just really nice. (+1000) Aussieguy101 is just really nice. (+1000) Aussieguy101 is just really nice. (+1000) Aussieguy101 is just really nice. (+1000) Aussieguy101 is just really nice. (+1000) Aussieguy101 is just really nice. (+1000) Aussieguy101 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have both and use iron for everything but olympic lifting and other overhead work

owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by owasM View Post
    curious about this bar, seems to have good reviews, would it be a good choice to get rid of my 32mm bar for that 28mm?
    well I've just ordered it, ill post up my views on it once i receive it.
    solely brought it for the 28mm grip, couldn't care less about the coating nor the 700lbs limit, people on the reviews said they have deadlifted 260kg for triples (around 570lbs) and its fine so that should do for now considering my weak ass 370lbs dead

suppose to have sharp knurling too.

Ok I'm going to buy this bar;

this power rack;
    www .powerhouse-fitness. co. uk/bodymax-cf475-heavy-power-rack.php

I wont get bumpers but I'm still debating between these two sets of plates I'll get about 70kg in a variety of sizes;

www .strengthshop. co. uk/weight-plates/cast-iron-plates/20kg-plate-black.html

www .powerhouse-fitness. co. uk/bodymax-olympic-rubber-radial-weight-plates.php

Does this look sensible for a beginner?

check out jordan fitness and go on the clearence page.

check out jordan fitness and go on the clearence page.
    Some very nice stuff, but maybe a little too expensive for me.

Some very nice stuff, but maybe a little too expensive for me.
    £21.77 for a 20kg new plate is quite good imo, i sold my used ones (same style) for £1 a kg used last week.

£21.77 for a 20kg new plate is quite good imo, i sold my used ones (same style) for £1 a kg used last week.
    It is but not when they only have 15 and 20kg plates left. I would prefer to have a matching set, down to 2.5kg increments.