Hakku1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Advice needed on getting bigger/routine! [pics]

Weight: 8-9 stone
    Height: 5'11

Hi,

I'm 19 and I've recently started to train to gain body/muscle mass (I don't know any of the technical terms so I may be saying them wrong) through the use of dumbbell exercises at home since I can't afford to go to a gym. However, being a complete newbie to this stuff I just asked a friend who knows more about it than me to throw together a dumbbell workout routine for me to follow, this is that routine:

5 x 10 Press ups (When I began this routine I struggled to do more than 5, now I can do about 30 all at once)
    3 x 10 Bent over rows
    3 x 10 One handed rows
    3 x 15 Back flies
    3 x 15 Squats
    3 x 10 Lunges
    5 x 10 Bench press
    3 x 15 Chest flies
    3 x 10 Shoulder press
    3 x 15 Lateral side raises (I struggle to do more than 5 of these at low weight)
    3 x 15 Lateral front raises
    3 x 8 Bicep curl (dumbbell edition)
    3 x 8 Hammer curl
    3 x 8 Tricep
    3 x 8 Kickback
    3 x 15 Sit ups

I do this routine 3 times a week, it normally takes me around 30-60 minutes.

When I started the routine in January I did it with 5kg on each dumbbell, towards the end of January I increased it to 7,5kg but still do the lateral side raises at 5kg.

Bearing in mind I can only use dumbbells at home for exercising is this a good routine for me to keep on following?

I'm also wondering about the use of supplements since my diet isn't great (typical university diet of ready meals and pizza's) so I can't see me getting enough protein into my diet. I'm pretty close to buying some protein shakes to help boost my kcal intake, but I'm not sure about taking any other supplement.

Here are some pictures of me that I took today:

Right arm: i49.tinypic.com/vwrd5h.jpg
    Right arm tensed: i47.tinypic.com/2w2hulu.jpg
    Left arm: i47.tinypic.com/2ur1qoj.jpg
    Left arm tensed: i50.tinypic.com/rtezad.jpg

Thank you!
    Last edited by Hakku1; 02-10-2013 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Grammar

TheSaltyAngus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheSaltyAngus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheSaltyAngus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheSaltyAngus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheSaltyAngus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheSaltyAngus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheSaltyAngus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheSaltyAngus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheSaltyAngus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheSaltyAngus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheSaltyAngus has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    that is the worst routine i have ever seen in my life. are you a crazy person op?

55 set?!?!?!?

do Rippetoe's starting strength routine

and take 3 minutes rest between sets not 3 seconds

and for your diet. You are an extreme ectomorph.

1 dollar for 1 lb of pasta for lunch/after school: 1800 cals
    2/3rds gallon of milk for 1.75 dollar : 1300+ cals
    +typical breakfast and dinner

you have enough.....

Many gym memberships only cost 10 dollars a month. Surely there is something you can sacrifice that only costs you 10 dollars a month? ex: buying new video games, if you smoke, etc.
    Last edited by TheSaltyAngus; 02-10-2013 at 01:51 PM.

Is it really that bad?

I looked at Rippletoe's but you need barbels for that I believe, which I have no room for. Unless I could do dumbbell dead lifts instead?

TheSaltyAngus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheSaltyAngus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheSaltyAngus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheSaltyAngus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheSaltyAngus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheSaltyAngus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheSaltyAngus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheSaltyAngus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheSaltyAngus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheSaltyAngus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheSaltyAngus has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Hakku1 View Post
    Is it really that bad?

I looked at Rippletoe's but you need barbels for that I believe, which I have no room for. Unless I could do dumbbell dead lifts instead?
    i updated my post. You cant afford a 10 dollar/month gym membership?

the reason i said it was awful was because even half that ammount of sets is overkill

moimoi123 is a complete loser! (-2000) moimoi123 is a complete loser! (-2000) moimoi123 is a complete loser! (-2000) moimoi123 is a complete loser! (-2000) moimoi123 is a complete loser! (-2000) moimoi123 is a complete loser! (-2000) moimoi123 is a complete loser! (-2000) moimoi123 is a complete loser! (-2000) moimoi123 is a complete loser! (-2000) moimoi123 is a complete loser! (-2000) moimoi123 is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Originally Posted by TheSaltyAngus View Post
    i updated my post. You cant afford a 10 dollar/month gym membership?

the reason i said it was awful was because even half that ammount of sets is overkill
    gyms 10 dollars for a month where u live? im jellly.

Originally Posted by moimoi123 View Post
    gyms 10 dollars for a month where u live? im jellly.
    yea, i have 2 gyms within walking distance of my school that are 10 dollars a month, and two which are 15. Pretty good quality too, several types of every type of bench, 3 squat racks, 2 leg presses, 125lb dumbbells

The only gym near me is £150 a month, and its really small. It's filled on most days (I went to it last year since they was giving a discounted month trial) and with that many people there it puts me off and I become less motivated. At home, with dumbbells I have only missed one training day and have kept motivated. So I prefer to work out at home than a gym, even if it may take me longer to get where I want to be.