gcaranofan84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gcaranofan84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gcaranofan84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gcaranofan84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gcaranofan84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gcaranofan84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gcaranofan84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gcaranofan84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gcaranofan84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gcaranofan84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gcaranofan84 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Smile Curious as to why I'm so hungry.....

Hello All! I have a question to ask you more experienced ladies about why I am getting so hungry even though I am hitting my daily macros with healthy food choices. I'm 28yrs, 5'7", and 158 lbs. I weight train about 4-5 days a week with cardio. (I'm currently doing Kris Gethin's 12 week trainer lifting/cardio program and tracking my calories and such) According to the formulas on the forums for calculating macros, I'm to consume 1610calories, 160g protein, 160g carbs, & 36g fat on a daily basis. Here's a sample of my typical day of eating:

Breakfast: 4 eggs whites, 1 whole wheat pancake, 1 slice of fat free american cheese, & coffee (black)
    Pre Workout: 8 oz fat free greek yogurt, 4 oz strawberries, 4 oz blueberries, & 30g of peak protein granola
    Post workout: 2 scoops of whey protein in water
    Lunch: 3 egg whites, 1 slice of fat free american cheese, 1 100% whole wheat english muffin, & 3 slices of low sodium turkey bacon
    Afternoon Snack: 2 rice cakes (plain, salt free), 1 tbsp Dark Chocolate Dreams Peanut Butter
    Dinner:1 cup of green veggies, 1 6oz chicken breast, 6 oz steamed shrimp
    1 gallon or more of water

Total Cals:1592, 161g protein, 155g carbs, & 35g fat

I tend to mix things up with different meats, veggies, and oatmeals every few days so I don't get bored. I wake up completely starving in the morning and I'm consistantly hungry throughout the day. I've been trying to stick with these macros/calories for about 2 months now. I've only seen a 2-4 lb loss. I'm not sure if maybe I calculated my numbers wrong as to what I should be hitting each day or what I'm doing wrong. I did Kris Gethin's 12 week trainer and followed his diet to a "t" back in August-November 2012. I lost 26 lbs but was completely miserable with his eating plan. I'm not sure what is going on and why I'm not seeing really any results in my measurements, in the mirror, or on the scale. Any advice would be great!!! Thank you all in advance! Have a great day!!

wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You're eating far too much protein and not enough fat.

At your stats (if they are up to date) you should be hitting a MINIMUM of 71g fat. Fat is great for satiety.

For cals I assume you're shooting for 1600. How often do you work out? What's your day like - are you sedentary, active etc. 1600 is quite low, akin to minimum exercise. At your stats and working out 3-4x per week I would assume at least 1800-1900 for maint. You could probably do better just taking 100-150 off that. Say 1700?

70g fat = 630cals
    100g p = 400cals
    170g c = 670cals

You can eat lots of veggies, dietary fibre can be subtracted from your total carb intake as it is just fibre. Generally if you're actually properly hungry, you're probably not eating enough. Are you hungry that you'd eat anything? Maybe shoot for 3 larger meals?

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    With the deficit you've been following if you've only seen a 2-4 lb loss in 2 months, something is off in the way you're tracking calories. Go back and take a closer look at everything. All foods need to be weighed, measured and tracked accordinly.

You should easily see steady fat loss consuming about 1700 calories a day.

I would suggest:

160 g protein
    130 g carbs
    60 g healthy fats

total cals 1700

Slightly lowering carbs and eating more fats might help to keep you feeling fuller. I agree with wakechica, less meals bigger portions can also make a difference.

Best of luck!
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    With the deficit you've been following if you've only seen a 2-4 lb loss in 2 months, something is off in the way you're tracking calories. Go back and take a closer look at everything. All foods need to be weighed, measured and tracked accordinly.

I would suggest:

160 g protein
    130 g carbs
    60 g healthy fats

total cals 1700

Slightly lowering carbs and eating more fats might help to keep you feeling fuller. I agree with wakechica, less meals bigger portions can also make a difference.

Best of luck!
    Good point. I seem to forget the human error factor every time....

gcaranofan84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gcaranofan84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gcaranofan84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gcaranofan84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gcaranofan84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gcaranofan84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gcaranofan84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gcaranofan84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gcaranofan84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gcaranofan84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gcaranofan84 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by wakechica View Post
    You're eating far too much protein and not enough fat.

At your stats (if they are up to date) you should be hitting a MINIMUM of 71g fat. Fat is great for satiety.

For cals I assume you're shooting for 1600. How often do you work out? What's your day like - are you sedentary, active etc. 1600 is quite low, akin to minimum exercise. At your stats and working out 3-4x per week I would assume at least 1800-1900 for maint. You could probably do better just taking 100-150 off that. Say 1700?

70g fat = 630cals
    100g p = 400cals
    170g c = 670cals

You can eat lots of veggies, dietary fibre can be subtracted from your total carb intake as it is just fibre. Generally if you're actually properly hungry, you're probably not eating enough. Are you hungry that you'd eat anything? Maybe shoot for 3 larger meals?
    A big thank you for replying!!! This week, for example I had 4 lifting with cardio days & 3 days of just cardio. I lift pretty heavy, using super sets, drop sets, different rep ranges & every week is different exercises for each body part. Some weeks I have 5 lift/cardio days with only 2 cardio only days. My cardio is split into 2 25 min sessions. Im a stay at home mom with 2 little ones so I am pretty busy from the time I wake up till I go to bed at night. I sleep about 8.5 hrs a night. So you're thinking I should up the fat & calories & lower the protein a little? Usually in the morning & about 2-6pm I'm starving & could eat anything & everything! I don't eat a lot if vegetables because they make me really sick & gassy. Sounds strange but I've always been like that. Sometimes I'll throw some spinach in my morning omelet or a salad but not too often. I usually have broccoli or green beans with dinner.

I would suggest:

160 g protein
    130 g carbs
    60 g healthy fats

total cals 1700

Best of luck!
    Hi kimm! I use "my fitness pal" app on my iPhone. I scan every barcode, weigh & measure everything to track my eating. I feel like something is wrong cause I'm putting 100% into my workouts & sticking with my numbers consistently. It should be working!! Lol! I'll try your suggestions for sure! Thank you so much!

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by gcaranofan84 View Post
    Hi kimm! I use "my fitness pal" app on my iPhone. I scan every barcode, weigh & measure everything to track my eating. I feel like something is wrong cause I'm putting 100% into my workouts & sticking with my numbers consistently. It should be working!! Lol! I'll try your suggestions for sure! Thank you so much!
    Keep in mind some of these tracking apps, sites, etc...are not always accurate when it comes to foods and calorie counts. When you have time, go into another tracking site, plug in your daily foods and see what you come up with for comparison. I'm completely old school and have always done my tracking with good old pen and paper.

Have you been strict and following your plan these entire 2 months? You never go out dinner, never have any treats, etc...you follow the plan and you never stray...

Nothing against you personally but honestly, most people are not perfect on a plan 24/7 with no slip ups...especially when you're new to dieting. It takes a bit of time to get in a solid groove
    Last edited by kimm4; 02-10-2013 at 02:23 PM.

Keep in mind some of these tracking apps, sites, etc...are not always accurate when it comes to foods and calorie counts. When you have time, go into another tracking site, plug in your daily foods and see what you come up with for comparison. I'm completely old school and have always done my tracking with good old pen and paper.

Have you been strict and following your plan these entire 2 months? You never go out dinner, never have any treats, etc...you follow the plan and you never stray...

Nothing against you personally but honestly, most people are not perfect on a plan 24/7 with no slip ups.
    Oh I completely understand! No offense taken. I usually let myself have a cheat meal once every 2 or 3 weeks. It's usually sushi or Japanese cuisine or pancakes (my fav!). We dont eat out much cause it can be expensive. Every other day though, everything I eat stays within my numbers. If I want something different like Jaime Eason's chocolate peotein bar recipe, Ill adjust my other foods for the day so it fits. This is why I am stumped as to what to do. I've done the boring eggs, oatmeal, chicken, fish, rice, etc diet. I wanted to try something different for awhile, something I'd enjoy. I will def try the old school tracking as opposed to the convience of apps. Are the foods that I'm choosing ok? I was trying to pick from a "clean food" list I saw on a sticky here. The chocolate PB is to keep me from craving chocolate so much. It helps big time!

Originally Posted by gcaranofan84 View Post
    Oh I completely understand! No offense taken. I usually let myself have a cheat meal once every 2 or 3 weeks. It's usually sushi or Japanese cuisine or pancakes (my fav!). We dont eat out much cause it can be expensive. Every other day though, everything I eat stays within my numbers. If I want something different like Jaime Eason's chocolate peotein bar recipe, Ill adjust my other foods for the day so it fits. This is why I am stumped as to what to do. I've done the boring eggs, oatmeal, chicken, fish, rice, etc diet. I wanted to try something different for awhile, something I'd enjoy. I will def try the old school tracking as opposed to the convience of apps. Are the foods that I'm choosing ok? I was trying to pick from a "clean food" list I saw on a sticky here. The chocolate PB is to keep me from craving chocolate so much. It helps big time!
    Your food choices are fine. There's no need to follow a rigid, bland, boring diet. Use a wide variety of whole foods you enjoy and you'll have a much easier time sticking to your plan.

My daughter tracks her calories on www.livestrong.com and she loves it. Says it's super easy.

I'm not sure about your methods when it comes to measuring, but this vid is an eye opener for some. We've posted it before and maybe you'll find it helpful.

awonk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Really helpful video that kimm4 posted - I've never seen that before. Echoing what others (more knowledgeable and experienced) have said, something is probably off with how you track your calories. But definitely increase your fats to help you feel more satiated for longer. Just perhaps stay away from the PB to get your fats - I have an awful time getting just a 100- or 200-calorie portion of PB. Also, make sure you're drinking enough water throughout the day. If I start to get even a little dehydrated, I feel hungry even when I'm not actually hungry.

Talking Did some recalculating....

Ok, so after watching that video, I wasn't measuring my portions correct. So I got up early this morning, recalculated my nutritional numbers on paper & measured everything by kitchen scale. Boy, was I shocked at the difference in numbers! Lesson learned! Lol! I rearranged some meals, added & removed others to hit the macros & cals you ladies suggested. Each sum is within 5-10of my target number, so hopefully I start seeing some results. I'm gonna stick to it for 2 weeks to see if something happens. Thanks again for all your advice & expertise! I really appreciate it!!

Your food choices are fine. There's no need to follow a rigid, bland, boring diet. Use a wide variety of whole foods you enjoy and you'll have a much easier time sticking to your plan.

My daughter tracks her calories on www.livestrong.com and she loves it. Says it's super easy.

I'm not sure about your methods when it comes to measuring, but this vid is an eye opener for some. We've posted it before and maybe you'll find it helpful.

Thank goodness I use the scales (yeah I weigh my measuring spoons then fill with PB and subtract the weight of the spoon...sad) Even the weight on packets is off sometimes.

toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000)
    One of the most depressing things ever is realising how little 2 tbsp of peanut butter really is. First time I used the scale I couldn't believe it was such a paltry amount.
    Goal: Peace, love & happiness...and arms that go bump in the night.

“It's never been true, not anywhere at any time, that the value of a soul, of a human spirit, is dependent on a number on a scale" G. Roth

catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Macros and diet are experimental. You have to play around until you get the right mix based on your goals. I might try upping the fats and reducing either one of the other two, most likely the carbs but the protein also is a bit high too. Keep upping the fats until you stop feeling so hungry. You will feel a bit hungry on a cut but it shouldn't be ravishing.

OP is 158 lbs and her protein intake is fine.