far336 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) far336 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Are side crunches effective?

Are they effective in getting stronger obliques? I am not looking to lean them out, just stronger. And if they are good to do, how many reps do you recommend if they are weighted?

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by far336 View Post
    Are they effective in getting stronger obliques?
    No. Deadlifts, Squats, and OHPs will do a much more efficient job of strengthening that area.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Sargamatha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sargamatha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sargamatha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sargamatha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sargamatha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sargamatha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sargamatha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sargamatha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sargamatha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sargamatha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sargamatha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you want abs you need to lower your bodyfat, doing 100 ab exercises of 50 reps won't make your abs appear through the layers of fat.

Diet is the key to achieving a six pack.

Also as stated above^ doing compound lifts works the core as well, there are many lifters such as Zyzz that never worked their core, yet have nice defined abs due to low body fat and compound lifts, such as squats and deadlifts which strengthen the whole core.

The more intense the core exercise the more effective it is in strengthening the core muscles ( dragon flags, hanging leg raises, standing ab roll outs, ) are all badass exercises which require strong core, if you can perform these and still have no visible abs and rock hard core, change your diet, start shedding bodyfat
    "For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."
    Romans 8:38-39

R.I.P Zyzz, Father of Aesthetics

*Tekken Crew*
    *Gamer crew*
    *Christian brah crew*

far336 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) far336 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Sargamatha View Post
    If you want abs you need to lower your bodyfat, doing 100 ab exercises of 50 reps won't make your abs appear through the layers of fat.

Diet is the key to achieving a six pack.

Also as stated above^ doing compound lifts works the core as well, there are many lifters such as Zyzz that never worked their core, yet have nice defined abs due to low body fat and compound lifts, such as squats and deadlifts which strengthen the whole core.

The more intense the core exercise the more effective it is in strengthening the core muscles ( dragon flags, hanging leg raises, standing ab roll outs, ) are all badass exercises which require strong core, if you can perform these and still have no visible abs and rock hard core, change your diet, start shedding bodyfat
    I already have a six pack showing, but as i stated before, I am not looking to get it more toned, just get my obliques more stronger.

abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by far336 View Post
    I already have a six pack showing, but as i stated before, I am not looking to get it more toned, just get my obliques more stronger.
    In that case heavy standing side bends, heavy side bends off a hyper bench, and heavy cable crunches to the sides would be good choices. There are also interesting standing cable twist sorts of exercises, but I can't imagine being able to load those effectively. "Side crunches" off the floor won't do much for strength. Compounds do indeed work the core quite a bit, but heavy loaded ab exercises will make compounds more solid generally, and are a necessity if your looking for the really chunky ab look.

About the chunky cinderblock abs... most ppl probably aren't looking for that. I have striated delts (super stoked about that) and veins in my quads, but because i do 100lb sets of cable crunches, my abs are huge and it still looks like I'm fat until I flex.
    Former member of the > 300 lb crew
    --- 08/03/11: >310 lb
    --- 04/26/13: 14% 190 lb

--- I always rep back, although measly atm