Thread: Rugby Training.

Slic3y has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Rugby Training.

Hi there, Got a year of free time before playing rugby again. Been hitting my training pretty hard. Just wanted to know what you guys think. I'm 19 6'2 and 95kg

I do starting strength 4 times a week for strength. I add a little gymnastics to this such as handstands and some ring work (I just play about more than anything, but it definatly helps).

For speed and agility. I run

3 sets of 5 5m sprints
    3 sets of 5 20m sprints
    3 100m sprints
    3 sets of 5 Zig zag cone work. about 15m
    then I place 4 cones in a 5x5m square and just run changing direction as quick as i can. I don't have a set amount I do this, if at all. Depends how I feel on the day. I take alot of time between sets with all my sprinting. Throw the ball about. have some fun with it.

I do this twice a week.
    Twice a week I also run 4 sets of 20 hill sprints for conditioning. I tell you what, since doing these I've gotten so much tougher in my head. Hitting those squat pr's is alot easier now. Because Hill sprints hurt.

Just wanted to ask you guys incase you have and ideas for me that you know work well. or think i should change something. Would very much appreciate your opinions! Thanks very much

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    That's a lot of work for an off-season program. What are you trying to achieve before the season?

Slic3y has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah. But I love training. By the season I want be fitter faster and stronger than ever before. Add atleast 20kg to all my lifts. I haven't really measured speed because I train alone. I also want be able to run a full game at a high intensity. I have a good work ethic. If I write something down I get it done. My main problem is over training. But I'm recovering well with this volume.

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    as far as the running with rugby -

speed endurance and speed so you need to on both areas... but then since you have a year its easy to break the year down more to be specific and be your best at the end of the long season...
    Sleepy.

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    OK, so here's what I sort of tell our guys for off-season.

Tight five - get some muscle, work on movement, mobility and recovery around the park. That means a big 2-3 per week lifting program, a little acceleration work, loaded training (carries, sled, etc) and my favourite running workout - 20 minutes of intervals with 20 seconds sprint and 1:40 running - although that last one is probably closer to the season.

Backs - More speed and power work. Always a bit more muscle. More acceleration work, more interval sprints. I really like DeFranco's WS4SB3 templates for these guys. The speed and power template is great for backs who need to get faster in the off season. The regular template is great for the others - assuming they can already lift.

Loosies - Depends on their weaknesses and how they need to play. They'll fall somewhere on the continuum here.