far336 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) far336 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Low rep for more strength?

Is it wise to ONLY do exercises for low reps (5 reps) of 3-4 sets but with heavier weights to build stronger muscles? Thanks in advance!

TheBeastTyler is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBeastTyler is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBeastTyler is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBeastTyler is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBeastTyler is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBeastTyler is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBeastTyler is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBeastTyler is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBeastTyler is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBeastTyler is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBeastTyler is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by far336 View Post
    Is it wise to ONLY do exercises for low reps (5 reps) of 3-4 sets but with heavier weights to build stronger muscles? Thanks in advance!
    Like as in a 5x5 program? Yes :P
    What program are you on, or do you just lift without any rhyme or reason?
    Feb 1, 2013 (started getting serious)/Current maxes at bw of 156-162lbs

Bench 205x3 (went back up about two inches before touching chest)/300
    Squat 230x5 (half squat)/350 (below parallel)
    Deadlift 185x5/475

Cutting [ ]
    Bulking [ X ]
    Workout log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159776261&p=1197756951#post1197756951

DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Low reps are the be(a)st at increasing strength. You can throw in some higher rep stuff if you really want, but IMO every program regardless of level or goal should have some low rep stuff.

Using them exclusively is fine and plenty of good programs have been built around just that.

far336 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) far336 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by TheBeastTyler View Post
    Like as in a 5x5 program? Yes :P
    What program are you on, or do you just lift without any rhyme or reason?
    I think it came from one of the body building programs in this forum.

Originally Posted by DetMatthews View Post
    Low reps are the be(a)st at increasing strength. You can throw in some higher rep stuff if you really want, but IMO every program regardless of level or goal should have some low rep stuff.

Using them exclusively is fine and plenty of good programs have been built around just that.
    Is it necessary to include the high reps or can I just do all my exercises with low rep heavy weight to gain strength more efficiently?

DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Is it necessary to include the high reps or can I just do all my exercises with low rep heavy weight to gain strength more efficiently?
    Pick one of the many beginner routines on this forum and do that. There are several in the link in my signature and several more around the site. Some of them have low reps exclusively, and some have a mix.

It sounds like strength is your only goal. If that's the case, do Starting Strength.

Pick one of the many beginner routines on this forum and do that. There are several in the link in my signature and several more around the site. Some of them have low reps exclusively, and some have a mix.

It sounds like strength is your only goal. If that's the case, do Starting Strength.
    When I clicked your link and the link to starting strength, it gave me '404 page not found'.

When I clicked your link and the link to starting strength, it gave me '404 page not found'.
    Eh, guess something happened to it. Google it, or google Starting Strength Wiki for lots of info. Or you can search this site. There is tons and tons of information out there about Starting Strength.

Eh, guess something happened to it. Google it, or google Starting Strength Wiki for lots of info. Or you can search this site. There is tons and tons of information out there about Starting Strength.
    I just need a proper workout for strength gains efficiently. I tried searching some and it gives me a couple workouts but some muscle groups are missing. I want to hit all my upper-body muscles. I'm not new to weight lifting or anything, I'd say I'm intermediate. The workout I was doing that I got from here didn't seem to increase my weight usage. The only weight that went up was squats, bench (Incline as well) and dead-lift. I'm looking for a workout program that is only meant for building strength for each of the upper body muscles.

If you do StrongLifts and add in chin-ups throughout the day (frequency method) and some ab stuff after your workouts, you're hitting everything. What are your current lifts?

If you do StrongLifts and add in chin-ups throughout the day (frequency method) and some ab stuff after your workouts, you're hitting everything. What are your current lifts?
    Current lifts? You mean how much I can lift? Or what is my workout?

Current lifts? You mean how much I can lift? Or what is my workout?
    All of the above.

All of the above.
    What exercise and how many reps are you asking for how much I can lift?

And my workout plan is

Chest and Back

Bench press 3x5
    Barbell upright row 4x9
    Dumbbell flies 3x10
    Face pull 4x9
    Barbell row 4x7

Shoulders and Arms

Incline bench 3x5
    Single tricep extension 3x12
    Chin ups 4x8
    Military press 4x9
    Barbell curls 3x12

And I do oblique exercises in between my rest times of each exercise. And also I didn't post legs on here because I don't have any problems with leg workouts because I'm following a sprint program.

Just do SL5x5. Add in chins either throughout the day or as part of your workout (3xfailure on deadlift day most likely). Add in a couple sets of core work every workout. You will hit your entire body and you will get much stronger.

You can do it in conjunction with a sprint program (depending on how demanding the sprint program is and how conditioned you are to it). There is a lot of lower body work, but your upper body will grow.

At about the 6 week mark, take a look at JasonDB's novice program. It's based on SL but has lots of extra stuff in it. Gradually add that extra stuff as you need it or as you notice weak points.

Volume and Intensity are inversely proportional. The more exercises, sets, and reps you have, the less weight you'll be able to lift in those workouts. Putting all your effort into one press for 5x5, or one pull for 5x5, will do a lot more to build your strength than your current workout will.

Just do SL5x5. Add in chins either throughout the day or as part of your workout (3xfailure on deadlift day most likely). Add in a couple sets of core work every workout. You will hit your entire body and you will get much stronger.

You can do it in conjunction with a sprint program (depending on how demanding the sprint program is and how conditioned you are to it). There is a lot of lower body work, but your upper body will grow.

At about the 6 week mark, take a look at JasonDB's novice program. It's based on SL but has lots of extra stuff in it. Gradually add that extra stuff as you need it or as you notice weak points.

Volume and Intensity are inversely proportional. The more exercises, sets, and reps you have, the less weight you'll be able to lift in those workouts. Putting all your effort into one press for 5x5, or one pull for 5x5, will do a lot more to build your strength than your current workout will.
    What is SL? And do you recommend me changing the sets and reps to 5 x 5 for each exercise?

StrongLifts 5x5. Look it up, dude. Follow that program, transition slowly to JasonDB's. Problem solved.

StrongLifts 5x5. Look it up, dude. Follow that program, transition slowly to JasonDB's. Problem solved.
    It won't let me post a link on here. I was wondering if the one where you google stronglift 5x5 and the very first link is good to follow?