Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Olijnyk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Running with weight/ military training

Basically I am looking to join the military at the end of this year after my sisters wedding which really is not alot of time , so i am starting running again but i know for the military i will have to do alot of TABs ( Fast paced walks) and runs with weighted backpacks sometimes including webbing and a weapon so i want to train to be able to cope with the weight while running so i have a better start over other applicants for the regiment im going for .
    My question is how should i go about training with weighted backpacks ? I want to be able to get the most out of this with out getting any injuries . Any body who does this has done would be alot of help any serving or ex military who have done training like though would help alot too
    "The meaning of life is not simply to exist or to survive, but to move ahead, to go up, to achieve. to conquer. "
    Arnold Schwarzenegger

Ggrodgers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ggrodgers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ggrodgers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ggrodgers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ggrodgers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ggrodgers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ggrodgers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ggrodgers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ggrodgers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ggrodgers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ggrodgers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Olijnyk View Post
    Basically I am looking to join the military at the end of this year after my sisters wedding which really is not alot of time , so i am starting running again but i know for the military i will have to do alot of TABs ( Fast paced walks) and runs with weighted backpacks sometimes including webbing and a weapon so i want to train to be able to cope with the weight while running so i have a better start over other applicants for the regiment im going for .
    My question is how should i go about training with weighted backpacks ? I want to be able to get the most out of this with out getting any injuries . Any body who does this has done would be alot of help any serving or ex military who have done training like though would help alot too
    Great question. How comfortable are you running in general - both with and without boots and long pants? If you're good at this then you should implement weights progressively. Build yourself up to the weight you wanna work with; like weight lifting it's something that you have to work with long-term if you want to prevent injuries. Incidentally, you don't really wanna 'run' with weighted backpacks as this is a recipe for disaster. Think of it as a light-paced jog and where you should impact your knees as little as possible (= don't really lift your knees that much).

Other advice include good sole cushioning (2 layers of socks, insoles, comfortable boots, etc.) so as to prevent blisters.

But other than that, good luck with your endeavors man! What regiment are you looking to join if you don't mind me asking?
    Last edited by Ggrodgers; 02-02-2013 at 05:49 AM.

Would you advise running in boots ? i used to be in the TA ( territorial army) and the PTIs said it was a bad idea . I wasnt really thinking about proper running with weight but yeah like a fast paced jog or long TABs/fast paced walks and then doing proper runs with out the weight and soon hopefully then get some proper boots and start jogging in them and combats. Also i am weight training as well for strength instead of hypertrophy to keep my weight down but get as strong as i can again for the army which im doing a few big heavy lifts would this and running set be up for injury.

And Im hoping to join the Parachute regiment even though parachute jump is not a main part of the training in the british army any more :/
    "The meaning of life is not simply to exist or to survive, but to move ahead, to go up, to achieve. to conquer. "
    Arnold Schwarzenegger

Ggrodgers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ggrodgers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ggrodgers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ggrodgers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ggrodgers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ggrodgers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ggrodgers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ggrodgers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ggrodgers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ggrodgers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ggrodgers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Would you advise running in boots ? i used to be in the TA ( territorial army) and the PTIs said it was a bad idea . I wasnt really thinking about proper running with weight but yeah like a fast paced jog or long TABs/fast paced walks and then doing proper runs with out the weight and soon hopefully then get some proper boots and start jogging in them and combats. Also i am weight training as well for strength instead of hypertrophy to keep my weight down but get as strong as i can again for the army which im doing a few big heavy lifts would this and running set be up for injury.

And Im hoping to join the Parachute regiment even though parachute jump is not a main part of the training in the british army any more :/
    Parachute regiment? That's awesome man.

But yeah I never did any heavy lifts prior to my training. I focused mainly on endurance, doing weights in the 15-20 rep range. Pure strength doesn't really play a role when you're running 5 km, followed by 10 km ruck-marches and then some calisthenics and plyometrics on a daily basis. I'm sure you can get away with it, though. It's always good to be well-rounded. However, just make sure you have great endurance in your leg, back and core muscles as these are the most prominent groups you'll be pushing.

As for running in boots, it depends on the demands of your training. We usually wounded up doing it once a week and I ran with boots all the time when I was preparing for basic training.

What does your running/walks schedule look like btw?
    Last edited by Ggrodgers; 02-02-2013 at 05:50 AM.

The standard test for selection to paratroopers in Sweden, for instance, involves 75 step-ups with a 20 kg backpack - each leg. Preparing for this (even if it's not part of your selection test) will still benefit your leg strength greatly.
    Last edited by Ggrodgers; 02-02-2013 at 05:50 AM.

domcreates is not very well liked. (-100) domcreates is not very well liked. (-100) domcreates is not very well liked. (-100) domcreates is not very well liked. (-100) domcreates is not very well liked. (-100) domcreates is not very well liked. (-100) domcreates is not very well liked. (-100) domcreates is not very well liked. (-100) domcreates is not very well liked. (-100) domcreates is not very well liked. (-100) domcreates is not very well liked. (-100)
    nice

I want to train for everything really the Paras selection sounds balls man but alot of it is staying mentally focused as well i want to bulk up at the moment and focus on strength till the summer from then on out ill be doing muscular endurance because i know from being in the TA that this plays a bit role too .
    At the moment i dont really have a schedule for running/walks but im getting into it more and more and going to try to make a schedule but at the moment im just doing 3 miles on a treadmill 3x a week and ocasionaly going on runs around my city but i dont really know how far they are or my times for them. going to start doing 3 mile runs in my best times aiming for sub 20 mins i know that for the Paras one of the first selection processes is to do a 1.5 mile run as a warm up followed by a 1.5 mile run in your best time which has to be sub 9.18 minutes and that is the worst time you can get !
    Arnold Schwarzenegger

I want to train for everything really the Paras selection sounds balls man but alot of it is staying mentally focused as well i want to bulk up at the moment and focus on strength till the summer from then on out ill be doing muscular endurance because i know from being in the TA that this plays a bit role too .
    At the moment i dont really have a schedule for running/walks but im getting into it more and more and going to try to make a schedule but at the moment im just doing 3 miles on a treadmill 3x a week and ocasionaly going on runs around my city but i dont really know how far they are or my times for them. going to start doing 3 mile runs in my best times aiming for sub 20 mins i know that for the Paras one of the first selection processes is to do a 1.5 mile run as a warm up followed by a 1.5 mile run in your best time which has to be sub 9.18 minutes and that is the worst time you can get !
    Forget treadmills. They do nothing for you if you're serious about running in a parachute regiment. You're looking at a minimum of 40-50 km a week of running, 7 days a week. And that's just for your own preparation. But since you already know what you need to run you can prepare by perfecting your time on the 1.5 mile run.

If I were you here's how I would divide it:

Monday: 10 km run (moderate pace)
    Tuesday 5 km run (at challenging pace)
    Wednesday: 10 km run (easy pace, jogging)
    Thursday: 5-10 km run (easy pace, jogging)
    Friday: '1.5 mile run test' followed by 5 km run (easy pace, jogging)
    Saturday: 5 km run (at challenging pace)

With this scheme you'll excel not only at the 1.5 mile run but also in your overall goals as a runner. I would also only run with boots/pants on Wednesday and Thursday.

Btw - will orientation be part of your assessment and selection, too?
    Last edited by Ggrodgers; 02-02-2013 at 05:51 AM.

I dont know if ill be able to run that much but i will be trying to as i play rugby every saturday and will be in the gym every monday wednesday and friday doing squats and deadlifts a minimum of 2 of those days and there is no way i will have time to recover ....but i will be trying to fit in as much running as possible with the gym and time to recover . i dont think orientation is part of the selection but you will be thought it about orientation/Map reading stuff like that

Id probably add some TABing ( weighted marches) in there too to get my body used to it
    Arnold Schwarzenegger

Yeah that was just the running scheme I would follow (and will follow again next year) to prepare for the military. In addition to this you have to do evening work, strengthening and marches (or TABs). As you say though, mental aspect is very important. Also the fact that you play rugby is gonna help you a lot...

I think you'll do great if you keep up the attitude!
    Last edited by Ggrodgers; 02-02-2013 at 05:51 AM.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I dont know if ill be able to run that much but i will be trying to as i play rugby every saturday and will be in the gym every monday wednesday and friday doing squats and deadlifts a minimum of 2 of those days and there is no way i will have time to recover ....
    Make your choice - trying out for the Paras you will do a ton of running and rucking with a pack, but no rugby, squat, or deadlift tests.
    Sounds like you have already chosen to fail.

Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    Make your choice - trying out for the Paras you will do a ton of running and rucking with a pack, but no rugby, squat, or deadlift tests.
    Sounds like you have already chosen to fail.
    Although if i did make it into the paras i would love to play rugby for them which is also a huge hobby of mine along with the gym and they do over all strength tests also i dont want to be super fit and have the best run time ever but fail because im to weak to do everything else id like to have a well rounded fitness in my mentally ,cardiovascular capabilities and muscularity which you will also be tested on all of these even if your cardiac output would be tested most

But thanks for the support buddy !
    Arnold Schwarzenegger

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Although if i did make it into the paras i would love to play rugby for them which is also a huge hobby of mine along with the gym and they do over all strength tests also i dont want to be super fit and have the best run time ever but fail because im to weak to do everything else id like to have a well rounded fitness in my mentally ,cardiovascular capabilities and muscularity which you will also be tested on all of these even if your cardiac output would be tested most

But thanks for the support buddy !
    but you arent going for well rounded fitness. You are blowing off running for squatting multiple times a week and playing games. Unlike probably anyone else on this board, Ive served alongside some of your more hand picked teams, so trust me on this. Yes, you need to be strong. But you have to run first to get into the club. Then get your strength back. Sheesh, the wisdom of 18 year olds . . .

YOu are better off doing 8 pullups and leading the pack in all the runs than doing 16 pullups and dragging ass.

There's no need to insult him. Everyone's anxious before selection and try to be the best they can be. True, upper-body strength isn't nearly as relevant as leg, back and core endurance (as I wrote above). But you're wrong about the rugby part. Getting the team aspect - thinking and working like a team - is essential.

Also, don't be smug when you write stuff like: 'Unlike probably anyone else on this board, Ive served alongside some of your more hand picked teams...'

Incidentally, he should aim to be able to do 80+ push-ups and 18+ pull=ups (just looked over the bare minimum for selection). So your last sentence is somewhat misleading, too, in the sense that he's better off being just a runner.

kenonidas will become famous soon enough. (+50) kenonidas will become famous soon enough. (+50) kenonidas will become famous soon enough. (+50) kenonidas will become famous soon enough. (+50) kenonidas will become famous soon enough. (+50) kenonidas will become famous soon enough. (+50) kenonidas will become famous soon enough. (+50) kenonidas will become famous soon enough. (+50) kenonidas will become famous soon enough. (+50) kenonidas will become famous soon enough. (+50) kenonidas will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    but you arent going for well rounded fitness. You are blowing off running for squatting multiple times a week and playing games. Unlike probably anyone else on this board, Ive served alongside some of your more hand picked teams, so trust me on this. Yes, you need to be strong. But you have to run first to get into the club. Then get your strength back. Sheesh, the wisdom of 18 year olds . . .

YOu are better off doing 8 pullups and leading the pack in all the runs than doing 16 pullups and dragging ass.

might not be what you want to hear mate but this is actually good advice. Selection is brutal, once you're in focus on strength training, right now you need to be concentrating on training for selection. Squats and deadlifts are amazing but 3 and 2 times a week is excessive and going to hinder you reaching your goals
    I rape back measley reps, just ask in the comment section

I didnt say i was going to put off the running for weight training and playing games even though to play rugby you do need a well rounded fitness anyway i just stated that i would not follow the plan that Ggrodgers showed me as yes i am doing weight training and playing rugby and if i did that much running as well i would just grind to a halt because i would have no recovery time at all . BUT yes i do understand that i will need to be a very strong runner but i do still want my strength to be up there because instead of being at the front of the pack in sight of all the selection officers so they have there eye on me and then only do 8 pull ups and fail selection ( advise from serving royal marine ) i would rather be in the middle of the pack still get a good run time and then push out 25-30 pulls ups and fly though selection as you are noted on your overall performance not just running , i might not have alot of wisdom but i have asked alot of people who are doing it now and have been though it for there advise . I apriciate what your trying to say about i need to be running more but not much of a need to be so rude

Edit.
    I was just looking though other posts where people were looking for advice on joining the forces and came across this. Again i do agree with the posts on here saying i need to up my running because as stated in this you have to do the 1.5 mile in under 9.18 even is i smashed all the lifts i and had the advantage of the extra time for the run id still want to do it in 9.18 or under although i was in the TA i did not have to do the static or back extension or the pull ups and when i was in my training i heard that the paras do the dynamic lift to a higher weight ( only up to 45kg in the TA) anyway i thought this was helpful towards the subject :

As part of the selection process to join either the Regular Army or the Territorials, potential soldiers are required to complete a fitness assessment. These results go towards your final grade and are used to identify which roles are open to you.

This comprises:

The Carry
    This test confirms the strength of the muscles in the upper arm and shoulder girdle. You will be required to carry two jerry cans (large water containers) each weighing 20kg (44lb) over a set course at a constant speed of 5.4km per hour. The test result is measured as the distance (in metres) achieved while keeping up with the set pace. The set course is a distance of 150m, which is expected to be completed in a maximum of two minutes.

The Static Lift
    With the feet shoulder-width apart, bent legs and the back kept straight, you will be required to pull against a device called a Dynamometer, which is attached to the floor. This measures the maximum amount of force you can exert in a single lift. The result of this test is measured in kilograms.

The Dynamic Lift
    This test measures how much weight can be lifted from the floor to a height of 1.45m (the typical height of a four-tonne truck) using an Incremental Lift Machine, at a start weight of 5-10kg. You will need to lift the weight safely to a height of 1.45m. The weight will then be increased progressively after each successful lift. Lifts are made with the legs bent and the back straight. The result of this test is measured in kilograms.

The Back Extension
    The large muscles in the back are used during the lifting and carrying of objects and when marching with loads. The strength of these muscles is measured using a special Back Extension Rig. You will be strapped into the rig and asked to extend your back as much as possible against a resistance. The force generated by the back muscles is measured in kilograms.

The Heaves
    Hanging under-grasp from a beam with your arms fully extended, you will lift your body up towards the beam until your chin is clear of the top. Once this is reached, lower to the start position, ensuring that your arms are fully extended. This is repeated as many times as possible.

The Run
    First you will warm up with a run and walk in a squad (as a group) for six minutes over a distance of 800m. This is immediately followed by a timed 'best effort' (individual) run over a measured distance of 2.4km (1.5 miles). The course will be on level ground and on a good running surface. The time achieved will determine which jobs you can apply for.

The required times for standard entry (over 17 years and 1 month) are:

Under 9 minutes 18 seconds: Parachute Regiment
    Under 9 minutes 40 seconds: Parachute Regiment (if static lift over 116kg)
    Under 12 minutes 45 seconds: Infantry and RLC Pioneers
    Under 13 minutes 15 seconds: Royal Artillery, Royal Armoured Corps, Royal Engineers and Household Cavalry
    Under 14 minutes: All others.
    Last edited by Olijnyk; 02-03-2013 at 07:24 PM.
    Arnold Schwarzenegger

OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm not in a special operation unit like the Paras, but I will say this, DCSpartan is absolutely right. Run, run and run some more. Run at high altitudes, run up hills, run down hills, run in pants, run in a weighted vest. Do everything you can to make yourself become uncomfortable NOW. Deadlifts and squats are great if you just want to be in the normal military(hell not even everyone in the military works out in the first place), but NOT in a special operation unit. You need to be able to run,do push ups, pull ups, and squats all day. Not to mention having the core of a Abrams tank to survive all the weight on your back.
    People say all of this crap about genetics this, genetics that. I will never let genetics tell me what I can and cannot do..

Originally Posted by OneLastChance View Post
    I'm not in a special operation unit like the Paras, but I will say this, DCSpartan is absolutely right. Run, run and run some more. Run at high altitudes, run up hills, run down hills, run in pants, run in a weighted vest. Do everything you can to make yourself become uncomfortable NOW. Deadlifts and squats are great if you just want to be in the normal military(hell not even everyone in the military works out in the first place), but NOT in a special operation unit. You need to be able to run,do push ups, pull ups, and squats all day. Not to mention having the core of a Abrams tank to survive all the weight on your back.
    Special ops do indeed do heavy lifts like deadlift and bench-press . I would know because I saw the Swedish SOG working out on a regular basis.

The running, high-rep calisthenics is purely for light-infantry groups like paratroopers (etc.) and special ops candidates. After a candidate is successful they pursue pretty much their own workout (given, of course, they retain basic abilities like running and marching long distance). So your statement that to be in a special operation units you don't do deadlifts or the like is false.

smurf2203 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Search for the training schedules on paras ten challenge website. They helped me a lot.

Also dont jump into big weight long booted runs. Mix weighted medium distance run with all over conditioning and hillsprints. Been there done it and dont overtrain. Rest days are essential!!!

wds2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Ggrodgers View Post
    Great question. How comfortable are you running in general - both with and without boots and long pants? If you're good at this then you should implement weights progressively. Build yourself up to the weight you wanna work with; like weight lifting it's something that you have to work with long-term if you want to prevent injuries. Incidentally, you don't really wanna 'run' with weighted backpacks as this is a recipe for disaster. Think of it as a light-paced jog and where you should impact your knees as little as possible (= don't really lift your knees that much).

Other advice include good sole cushioning (2 layers of socks, insoles, comfortable boots, etc.) so as to prevent blisters.

But other than that, good luck with your endeavors man! What regiment are you looking to join if you don't mind me asking?

I recommend staying away from two pairs of socks. Invest in a pair of nylon socks or two but definitely do not wear cottons. If you have a ruck sack or sturdy backpack, put in a sand bag and build up from there.
    The 18th Airborne Corps standard was 12 miles in four hours with at least 35 lbs. In the 101st Airborne Division that was changed to 3 hours and most of the time our rucks were well over 35 lbs. That weight should be your minimum. That time and distance your standard.

But definitely run, run, and run some more. Do push ups and pull ups as well, as often as you can.

Originally Posted by wds2 View Post
    I recommend staying away from two pairs of socks. Invest in a pair of nylon socks or two but definitely do not wear cottons. If you have a ruck sack or sturdy backpack, put in a sand bag and build up from there.
    The 18th Airborne Corps standard was 12 miles in four hours with at least 35 lbs. In the 101st Airborne Division that was changed to 3 hours and most of the time our rucks were well over 35 lbs. That weight should be your minimum. That time and distance your standard.

But definitely run, run, and run some more. Do push ups and pull ups as well, as often as you can.
    Nylon socks are definitely great for blister prevention. Not sure where you're from but to be honest it's too darn cold in Sweden hence why we ran with two pairs of socks. Nylon socks between socks and boots, of course, is ideal but you're not issued this (in Sweden at least).

OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Special ops do indeed do heavy lifts like deadlift and bench-press . I would know because I saw the Swedish SOG working out on a regular basis.

The running, high-rep calisthenics is purely for light-infantry groups like paratroopers (etc.) and special ops candidates. After a candidate is successful they pursue pretty much their own workout (given, of course, they retain basic abilities like running and marching long distance). So your statement that to be in a special operation units you don't do deadlifts or the like is false.
    Yes I know that. I was saying to pass SELECTION. Deadlifting and squatting are not exercises you do in selection in any military unit. The leg and back strength you develop with those would be better left to ruck marching. He's not asking for a special operation workout routine, he's asking for a routine to help him pass selection and get into the army physical fitness routine much easier.
    People say all of this crap about genetics this, genetics that. I will never let genetics tell me what I can and cannot do..

Cheers for all the responses iv heard of the nylon socks before too think you guys will be happy to know i went on a run today only 5 miles but at least im starting will try to steadily increase my speed and distance, thinking of going for a TAB/light jog with my army backpack and just a little weight in there too up to my mums house which is about 4 miles away going to run to the gym in a bit only about a mile but im going to try get there as quick as i can should be extra fun as its pissing it down outside . keep the help coming im taking it all on board
    Arnold Schwarzenegger

Here's what you guys dont understand. Once you get into a high speed unit, you can lift weights to your heart's desire. If you are on the outside looking in, the timed distance events are going to be the toughest ones to pass. You wont get graded on the squat, deadlift, or benchpress. But you will get graded on running and swimming events.

Once you make your unit, than you can balance out your training. Until then, you need to emphasize endurance, work capacity, and some functional strength, but not at the neglect of the first two.

And by the way, HIIT only really helps your work capacity, think gas tank and engine. LSD and timed rucks = gas tank. HIIT and obstacle courses = engine

Im not sure if i really understand what you mean by gas tank and engine ? and im thinking of staying on this stronglifts 5x5 for 2 months maybe 3 depending on how hooked i get and the gains i make but after that concentrating more on training specifically to pass the selection requirements for push ups sit ups and especially the runs also i decided now that i cant be assed waisting my money on smoking anymore and my ex thinks i quit a loong time ago so might as well quit for good and my fitness compared to now will fly up and ill probably get a missus again which will keep me away from going out and getting pissed up . F*ck It im changing my life for the better from this week onwards !
    Arnold Schwarzenegger

Originally Posted by OneLastChance View Post
    Yes I know that. I was saying to pass SELECTION. Deadlifting and squatting are not exercises you do in selection in any military unit. The leg and back strength you develop with those would be better left to ruck marching. He's not asking for a special operation workout routine, he's asking for a routine to help him pass selection and get into the army physical fitness routine much easier.
    And we already established what routine he should do. Read my posts above. He just wants to be a well-rounded warrior. He can still obtain leg, core endurance and upper-body strength at the same time.

Excerpt from the Swedish SOG's selection requirements* that explicitly highlight this: Bench press with own bodyweight (3 times), Dips (20), Pull-ups (12). Of course in my experience this quite literally translates to being able to bench press 100 kg for a few reps, at least 40 dips and 20+ pull-ups. A good weight lifting routine can help get him there, and not negatively impact his running/swimming/marching abilities.

Also, my best friend who joined the Swedish coastal rangers (I myself was always a runner and never a swimmer) regularly did bench press and squats prior to selection.

So what you have to understand is that simply running long-distance is an out-dated, outside conception of special ops. Instructors look for well-rounded warriors. In fact, I wish I had personally done more weights in the (5-8 reps) prior to basic training.

*SOURCE IN SWEDISH: http://www.forsvarsmakten.se/sv/Jobb...tiga-resultat/

OP You might be interested in this if you're really looking to do weights:

http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seals-s...x#.URDOeehKa48

As I suggested above, my running scheme would be ideal. But if you want to incorporate weights do this 1-2 days per week (max). The rest will detract you from your goal. Optimal solution would be to adopt some sort of circuit training after heavy lifting, for instance:

Upperbody:
    - Bench press/row: 8-12x3
    - Circuit training #1: Push-ups (20), Pull-ups/chin-ups (10), Dips (15) [REPEAT 4 TIMES]
    - Circuit training #2: Push-ups (15), Abs (20), BW Squats (20) [REPEAT 4 times]

Lowerbody:
    - Squat/Leg press/Deadlift: 8-12x3
    - Circuit training #1: BW Squats (20), Calf raises (20), Lunges (15 each leg) [REPEAT 4 TIMES]
    - Circuit training #2: BW Squats (20), Abs (20), Lunges/Step ups (15 each leg) [REPEAT 4 times]

Don't worry too much about the specific exercises. They're just quick examples that I jotted down. The basic principle, however, is still there...

Nerdybrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nerdybrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nerdybrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Im not sure if i really understand what you mean by gas tank and engine
    Let me explain this part to you real quickly before moving on to my answer. Imagine when you run, you're like a car. The better the engine the faster the car will go. The bigger the gas tank, the longer it will go for. This is what he was saying, long runs & weighted running will improve endurance/how long you can go for.
    where as HIIT (high intensity interval training)/obstacle will improve speed/how fast you go.

Now, personally i went in the army at 16 went into AFC Harrogate then went into Yorkshire Regiment (Infantry) i came out last year & am planning on going back in this year. Personally my run times are 9 minute mile and a half & the push ups/sit ups i think realistically anybody can do the 50 in 2 minutes. Just bang 25 out, rest for a few seconds. Bang another 25 out. Easy.

Personally, when i went in the first time. I wish i did more weight training then just pure running/cardio/endurance. Which is what i'm doing now, bulking for a year and then cutting working on endurance again when it gets closer.

Problem lies in this - If you focus too much on running/cardio then when you carry your burgen + full gear + SA80 you will struggle like hell. Believe me, after a few runs, marching all day and going up and down hills these things become heavy as ****.

On the flip, if you focus too much on weight lifting/strength your running/endurance is going to suck. You need a happy medium, a best of both worlds.

You didn't tell me which regiment/core you're going into, Thing is even after selection you could be waiting a good few months to go into training. In my opinion, run your ass off untill selection, this way you'll get a good score on the PFT. Between the months you spend waiting to go to Catterick or Pirbright. Bulk your skinny ass up.

wds2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Nylon socks are definitely great for blister prevention. Not sure where you're from but to be honest it's too darn cold in Sweden hence why we ran with two pairs of socks. Nylon socks between socks and boots, of course, is ideal but you're not issued this (in Sweden at least).
    I was stationed (among several places) at Ft Campbell, KY. It's hot in the summer, cold in the winter, but not as cold as Sweden. I could wear nylon socks and either jungle boots or all leathers depending on the weather whenever we had to ruck. But I do know a lot of guys who wore nylons under other socks for warmth as you suggest.

OP You might be interested in this if you're really looking to do weights:

As I suggested above, my running scheme would be ideal. But if you want to incorporate weights do this 1-2 days per week (max). The rest will detract you from your goal. Optimal solution would be to adopt some sort of circuit training after heavy lifting, for instance:

Upperbody:
    - Bench press/row: 8-12x3
    - Circuit training #1: Push-ups (20), Pull-ups/chin-ups (10), Dips (15) [REPEAT 4 TIMES]
    - Circuit training #2: Push-ups (15), Abs (20), BW Squats (20) [REPEAT 4 times]

Lowerbody:
    - Squat/Leg press/Deadlift: 8-12x3
    - Circuit training #1: BW Squats (20), Calf raises (20), Lunges (15 each leg) [REPEAT 4 TIMES]
    - Circuit training #2: BW Squats (20), Abs (20), Lunges/Step ups (15 each leg) [REPEAT 4 times]

Don't worry too much about the specific exercises. They're just quick examples that I jotted down. The basic principle, however, is still there...
    This does sounds very good and by the way cheers for all the help im going to be doing your running scheme in the summer and trying this circuit training towards the end of my strength program

Originally Posted by Nerdybrah View Post

You didn't tell me which regiment/core you're going into, Thing is even after selection you could be waiting a good few months to go into training. In my opinion, run your ass off untill selection, this way you'll get a good score on the PFT. Between the months you spend waiting to go to Catterick or Pirbright. Bulk your skinny ass up.
    Im going to bulk now trying to get my strength up as much as i can then towards the supper switch to higher reps lower weight to get my muscular endurance up and start running more to start cutting and getting my fitness up as **** as i can . and to answer your question i want to go for the Parachute regiment
    Arnold Schwarzenegger