Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Jmonti15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Post-Workout Carbs!

My question is quite simple. I am 165 pounds probably around 15% bodyfat. I was wondering if I should be taking in simple carbs post workout or just stick to the whey.
    Thanks for your advise

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Either or neither. It's just a function of personal preference as total daily intake is what matters.

lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    eat this opie

nicklyne will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicklyne will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicklyne will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicklyne will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicklyne will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicklyne will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicklyne will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicklyne will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicklyne will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicklyne will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicklyne will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by WonderPug View Post
    Either or neither. It's just a function of personal preference as total daily intake is what matters.

This op
    I REP BACK

Calories in vs Calories Out Bro
    IIFYM

NEBOSH

moosedahgoose is a name known to all. (+5000) moosedahgoose is a name known to all. (+5000) moosedahgoose is a name known to all. (+5000) moosedahgoose is a name known to all. (+5000) moosedahgoose is a name known to all. (+5000) moosedahgoose is a name known to all. (+5000) moosedahgoose is a name known to all. (+5000) moosedahgoose is a name known to all. (+5000) moosedahgoose is a name known to all. (+5000) moosedahgoose is a name known to all. (+5000) moosedahgoose is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Whey w/ chocolate milk.
    Follow me on an enchanting adventure (My Log):

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153543271

stevejm07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stevejm07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stevejm07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stevejm07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stevejm07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stevejm07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stevejm07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stevejm07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stevejm07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stevejm07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stevejm07 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    My workout schedule changed because of the new england snow storm, basically i had to work out in my fasted period, ate nothing pre/post workout and didnt die...meal timing is pretty irrelevant.

Bulkandshred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    After the trainning section I always take whey with maltodextrin or dextrose.
    Last edited by Bulkandshred; 02-08-2013 at 02:41 PM.

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by moosedahgoose View Post
    Whey w/ chocolate milk.
    You mix the 2?? Seems kinda odd doesn't it

pettlan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pettlan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pettlan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pettlan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pettlan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pettlan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pettlan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pettlan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pettlan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pettlan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pettlan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I wouldn´t considered myself an expert, but finding and experimenting is probably the best thing you can do when it comes to either building muscles or losing fat. Now, earlier I used to consume a one/two-scoop whey shake after training, however, if you´re looking to reduce your bodyfat, this can just be an extra calorie-bomb luring your brain to believe it´s good for you. Actually, I´ve gained more muscles and achieved greater results after I stopped using it after my lifting-sessions. Instead, I consume either a small banana, or half a banana (or nothing). But I make sure I eat the post-workout meal just when I get home. As my point being; Your body will NOT absorb more proteins than 30-45g in a period of two hours - meaning, consuming a shake + a post-workout meal, both having a descent amount of proteins, can sometimes just turn out to be extra calories added together. Now, I´m not sure what your goal is - as you mentioned your BF %, I assume one of your goals is to reduce bodyfat. What you can, and should do is having a handfull of raisins or half a banana (not a whole banana), or ONE scoop of whey (don´t take two unless you´re Jay Cutler or Ronnie Coleman or unless there´s a few hours to your next meal), and make a post-workout meal consisting of both fats, carbs and proteins when you get home. Preferably I take half a banana and a scoop of whey, and then go home and make a meal consisting of tunafish, avocado, salads and beans. I always make sure I don´t overkill my need of proteins. You can always mix together some oats in your shake, or even eat a cheeseburger (both slow and fast carbs), but having half a banana (fast carbs) just to have a "quick recover" before you go home and eat your main post-workout meal is by far one of the best ideas. Personally I used to consume two scoops of whey, eat a banana and then drive straight to McDonalds and have 5 cheeseburger (always 5 due to 75g of proteins), which was totally meaningless (I thought this was perfect for the "gain-muscle-and-reduce-bodyfat" goal) Sorry for writing a bible here, but I hope some of my thoughts can have an impact on your view on what a post-workout meal should be. I might even have misunderstood your question, but at least I get to practice my english

pettlan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pettlan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pettlan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pettlan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pettlan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pettlan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pettlan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pettlan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pettlan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pettlan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pettlan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by AlwaysTryin View Post
    You mix the 2?? Seems kinda odd doesn't it
    It´s not directly BAD to do this, but in reality, you can fill your body with the exact nutrition AND less calories if you just calculate your needs better. Keep in mind that you don´t need that much fast carbohydrates after sessions at the gym either. I´ve seen Coleman use Nesquick in his pre-workout (or was it post?), but I´s HIGH IN SUGARS!!!

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by pettlan View Post
    It´s not directly BAD to do this, but in reality, you can fill your body with the exact nutrition AND less calories if you just calculate your needs better. Keep in mind that you don´t need that much fast carbohydrates after sessions at the gym either. I´ve seen Coleman use Nesquick in his pre-workout (or was it post?), but I´s HIGH IN SUGARS!!!
    What?

I don't think you understood my post at all, not does yours make any sense

cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    o no not dem sugars!
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total

Originally Posted by AlwaysTryin View Post
    What?

I don't think you understood my post at all, not does yours make any sense
    I quoted the wrong post, sorry!

What I meant is that some people just fill their bodies with too much carbs after their lifting sessions. Some of my friends do it as well, they train (not even that hard), and go straight to the store to get a litre of chocolate milk and their excuse is; "You need carbs to recover". Yes, but not thaaaat much

Again, sorry for quoting wrong

GoneLifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GoneLifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GoneLifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GoneLifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GoneLifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GoneLifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GoneLifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GoneLifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GoneLifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Get them carbs quicK. Upregulates protein synthesis, helps restore muscle glycogen and also helps increase the amount of testosterone receptors.

For me, benefits outwigh the negatives
    Squat 150kg (330lbs) x 1
    Deadlift 190kg (418lbs) x 1
    Bench 95kg (209lbs) x 1

@70kg (154lbs) cutting

I LIFT

GoneLifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GoneLifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GoneLifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GoneLifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GoneLifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GoneLifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GoneLifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GoneLifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GoneLifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I wouldn´t considered myself an expert, but finding and experimenting is probably the best thing you can do when it comes to either building muscles or losing fat. Now, earlier I used to consume a one/two-scoop whey shake after training, however, if you´re looking to reduce your bodyfat, this can just be an extra calorie-bomb luring your brain to believe it´s good for you. Actually, I´ve gained more muscles and achieved greater results after I stopped using it after my lifting-sessions. Instead, I consume either a small banana, or half a banana (or nothing). But I make sure I eat the post-workout meal just when I get home. As my point being; Your body will NOT absorb more proteins than 30-45g in a period of two hours - meaning, consuming a shake + a post-workout meal, both having a descent amount of proteins, can sometimes just turn out to be extra calories added together. Now, I´m not sure what your goal is - as you mentioned your BF %, I assume one of your goals is to reduce bodyfat. What you can, and should do is having a handfull of raisins or half a banana (not a whole banana), or ONE scoop of whey (don´t take two unless you´re Jay Cutler or Ronnie Coleman or unless there´s a few hours to your next meal), and make a post-workout meal consisting of both fats, carbs and proteins when you get home. Preferably I take half a banana and a scoop of whey, and then go home and make a meal consisting of tunafish, avocado, salads and beans. I always make sure I don´t overkill my need of proteins. You can always mix together some oats in your shake, or even eat a cheeseburger (both slow and fast carbs), but having half a banana (fast carbs) just to have a "quick recover" before you go home and eat your main post-workout meal is by far one of the best ideas. Personally I used to consume two scoops of whey, eat a banana and then drive straight to McDonalds and have 5 cheeseburger (always 5 due to 75g of proteins), which was totally meaningless (I thought this was perfect for the "gain-muscle-and-reduce-bodyfat" goal) Sorry for writing a bible here, but I hope some of my thoughts can have an impact on your view on what a post-workout meal should be. I might even have misunderstood your question, but at least I get to practice my english
    I stopped reading this after I saw this in bold- it's just wrong.

Your body will absorb nearly any amount of protein you put into it, however, absorbtion does not equal utilization. There is an amount of protein that will create a maximum "anabolic response", but saying the body won't absorb it is simply wrong.
    Squat 150kg (330lbs) x 1
    Bench 95kg (209lbs) x 1

@70kg (154lbs) cutting

I LIFT

VANCOUVER CANUCKS FUK YEA MAGnitude's Avatar
    MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000)
    eating a pwo meal 5 mins, 10 mins,60 mins , 120 mins, or 180 mins after training yields NO benefits over eating a meal 12-20 hours after your gym session, no benefits, NONE whatsoever.
    RIP- LUC BOURDON

GO THE CANUCKS, GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by MAGnitude View Post
    eating a pwo meal 5 mins, 10 mins,60 mins , 120 mins, or 180 mins after training yields NO benefits over eating a meal 12-20 hours after your gym session, no benefits, NONE whatsoever.

NO

Just No
    Squat 150kg (330lbs) x 1
    Bench 95kg (209lbs) x 1

@70kg (154lbs) cutting

I LIFT

MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by GoneLifting View Post
    NO

Just No
    as long as you hit your macro's within a 24 hour period, it's all good. there is no such thing as a specified anabolic window which you have to eat your meal/macro's within after weight training. that is all BS. again hit your macro and cal target in whatever form, based on personal preference within a 24 hour period and your good to go. Im talking referring to a weight lifter/ bodybuilder here.
    RIP- LUC BOURDON

as long as you hit your macro's within a 24 hour period, it's all good. there is no such thing as a specified anabolic window which you have to eat your meal/macro's within after weight training. that is all BS. again hit your macro and cal target in whatever form, based on personal preference within a 24 hour period and your good to go. Im talking referring to a weight lifter/ bodybuilder here.
    I agree in so far as there is too much placed on meal timing, however the post workout meal or shake or shake then meal has been shown to improve protein synthesis, better hypertrophy etc..

if you think you can eat youre entire days food in one meal and that your body will utilize it all efficiently you are misguided.
    Squat 150kg (330lbs) x 1
    Bench 95kg (209lbs) x 1

@70kg (154lbs) cutting

I LIFT

I agree in so far as there is too much placed on meal timing, however the post workout meal or shake or shake then meal has been shown to improve protein synthesis, better hypertrophy etc..

if you think you can eat youre entire days food in one meal and that your body will utilize it all efficiently you are misguided
    totally disagree. those in the know will let you know this. if you think you are correct show some evidence, which i will predict are from broscientists.
    RIP- LUC BOURDON

totally disagree. those in the know will let you know this. if you think you are correct show some evidence, which i will predict are from broscientists.
    Those in the know: such as whom?

I don't see you offering up any evidence.

I could search for scientific studies to support my viewpoint, but if I remember correctly, Layne Norton did an interview with machine muscle not too long ago and in it he touched on the topic of muscle protein synthesis and why you can't compensate for lower protein intake with a large consumption later on.

Somehow, I wouldn't regard Norton as a broscientist, in fact he'd be the opposite.

This is just one quick pick off the top of my head from a reputable figure in the industry who works off science based evidence

Now, your evidence, if you will.
    Squat 150kg (330lbs) x 1
    Bench 95kg (209lbs) x 1

@70kg (154lbs) cutting

I LIFT

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    the post workout meal or shake or shake then meal has been shown to improve protein synthesis, better hypertrophy etc..
    This is, of course, not true in regard to meaningful endpoints.

I stopped reading this after I saw this in bold- it's just wrong.

Your body will absorb nearly any amount of protein you put into it, however, absorbtion does not equal utilization. There is an amount of protein that will create a maximum "anabolic response", but saying the body won't absorb it is simply wrong.
    Utilization is what I meant, I´m not english so I thought absorbation would be the proper word for my point. However, I totally agree with your version of it, which is obviously the right one. My bad.

Well, sure - risk starvation mode if you don´t know what you´re doing. Advising someone to use this type of diet is just completely nonesense. If it were to work, you need so much knowledge about it - obviously learnable within 30 minutes of research on the forums, but being able to go without feeling hungry is quite hard if you´re not doing it right. I have two friends doing their intermittent fasting, one of them is constantly starving and will soon hit a wall. Just don´t see why you even bring it up. My opinion; Your point worked during the iceage and the middle age when people had to fill their bodies with as much food as possible to survive for longer periods without food, but it´s just stupid nowadays.

Eat Sleep Lift and Poop Killshot1's Avatar
    Killshot1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Killshot1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Killshot1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Killshot1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Killshot1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Killshot1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Killshot1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Killshot1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Killshot1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Killshot1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Killshot1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Jmonti15 View Post
    My question is quite simple. I am 165 pounds probably around 15% bodyfat. I was wondering if I should be taking in simple carbs post workout or just stick to the whey.
    Thanks for your advise
    I take 1.5-2 scoops whey with 2 scoops (80g) oat flour.

Salad posties. About 78g proton, 8g fibre, 12g phat, around 70g carbz
    Engineering Master Race

IFBB Amateur, M. Physique ArchangelEST's Avatar
    ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Actually there is benefit to consuming protein around the period at which you train. Granted, carb intake is mostly personal preference for standard bodybuilders on a 1x a day work-out regiments, but Protein - that is beneficial. To what extent - is questionable and more research is needed. But just about everyone agrees, that during training - protein needs are elevated and if you have consumed no protein beforehand and neglect to do so afterwards, it is likely that you cannot talk about optimal muscle growth.

However realistically, most people always have free amino acids available, simply because most people tend to consume food a few hours before training anyways. In that case, immediate protein consumption post work-out has indeed negligible benefits. However for those more into fasted trainings or those who tend to fast for extended periods after training - they should actually consider consuming some amino acids either prior, during or after training.

Still, for the casual lifter the difference is most likely negligible in any case, but for a more serious athlete the difference can be sufficient to warrant such actions.

http://www.jissn.com/content/pdf/1550-2783-10-5.pdf
    Owner of:

www.Aspartame-Research.com
    www.MayfieldFitness.net

Author of:

Flexible Dieting Handbook: How To Lose Weight by Eating What You Want - an Amazon Bestseller

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn. "

― Alvin Toffler

kanmaxime is on a distinguished road. (+10) kanmaxime is on a distinguished road. (+10) kanmaxime is on a distinguished road. (+10) kanmaxime is on a distinguished road. (+10) kanmaxime is on a distinguished road. (+10) kanmaxime is on a distinguished road. (+10) kanmaxime is on a distinguished road. (+10) kanmaxime is on a distinguished road. (+10) kanmaxime is on a distinguished road. (+10) kanmaxime is on a distinguished road. (+10) kanmaxime is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    personal preference. You can drink a protein shake or Nesquick both are good

Well, sure - risk starvation mode if you don´t know what you´re doing. Advising someone to use this type of diet is just completely nonesense. If it were to work, you need so much knowledge about it - obviously learnable within 30 minutes of research on the forums, but being able to go without feeling hungry is quite hard if you´re not doing it right. I have two friends doing their intermittent fasting, one of them is constantly starving and will soon hit a wall. Just don´t see why you even bring it up. My opinion; Your point worked during the iceage and the middle age when people had to fill their bodies with as much food as possible to survive for longer periods without food, but it´s just stupid nowadays.
    lol @ starvation mode. Plus, i was using the times as an example, that meal timing is a matter of personal preference, and that you do not need to eat directly after a workout. if it is preferential that you eat after a workout, for example someone who works out late at night, then goes home has a meal then goes to bed to get some sleep to go to work/school the next morning, but dont be thinking that consuming that meal directly after the workout is providing any more benefits than if he was to eat it 8 hours later.

meal timing is a matter of personal preference. simple as that. why is your friend doing INTFASTING, if he is feeling like he is starving most of the time? INTFASTING provides no benefits at all over any other eating pattern, again, it is a matter of personal preference. Hitting you calories and macro's is what matters.

I dont know why you can't wrap your head around it, can you not understand or what?

There are studies galore that go into great detail that prove that meal timing is irrelevant to body composition, many of which Alan Aragon, whom i think is the number one guy on diet and nutrition in the world especially in lifting and sports, has written, or has some input into. He has even sumarised this topic all in one sentence in a sticky thread on this forum , which consists of no more than 10 or so words. Now that is simple.

I dont know where you get all this misinformation from, maybe you read too many bodybuilding books and take advice from the so called 'nutrition experts' to the pro bodybuilders. In the face of what has been proven, they still push the need to for people to eat at certain intervals to achieve better results, which is wrong, and many believe it because, "hey if he is working with a phil heath or a jay cutler , he must be right," WRONG. These so called nutrition experts to the pro bodybuilders have no credibility IMO, because they, you would hope know that meal timing is irrelevant as is supplementing with protein and all, in the face of a diet composed of whole foods comprised of the proper macro's. But they continue to push the issue, to sell magazines, sell supplement products. most magazines own supplement companies and vice versa, so you can see why they are employed by them to write articles containing all the BS, but what i dont think they are realising is that their credibility is diminishing amongst many in the field (outside of writing for BB magazines), thats if they have any credibility left at at all. And i know that Layne Norton writes for BB magazines i have been told, but from what i have been told, and the few articles and vids i have seen of his, he tells it like it is, so he is not one of those i am referring to, and Alan Aragon writes articles as well in many magazines, and obviously he says it like it is -the truth, so AA is not one of those i am referring to. If you want to take advice from anyone, take it from Alan Aragon, and Layne Norton, and even on this website Emma Leigh, PUG, etc.
    Last edited by MAGnitude; 02-10-2013 at 03:45 AM.
    RIP- LUC BOURDON

Originally Posted by ArchangelEST View Post

Still, for the casual lifter the difference is most likely negligible in any case, but for a more serious athlete the difference can be sufficient to warrant such actions.

http://www.jissn.com/content/pdf/1550-2783-10-5.pdf
    totally agree, i am referring to the casual lifter and even semi/ serious lifter. 99% of Bodybuilders, and i am including pro's here, are not serious athletes, in the face of what constitutes a serious athlete amongst other professional sports.
    RIP- LUC BOURDON

IFBB Amateur, M. Physique ArchangelEST's Avatar
    ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    [B]lol @ starvation mode. Plus, i was using the times as an example, that meal timing is a matter of personal preference, and that you do not need to eat directly after a workout. if it is preferential that you eat after a workout, for example someone who works out late at night, then goes home has a meal then goes to bed to get some sleep to go to work/school the next morning, but dont be thinking that consuming that meal directly after the workout is providing any more benefits than if he was to eat it 8 hours later.
    Let's adjust your point just a tad by saying that when using personal preference, you include under it things like Energy levels, how good you rest, workout efficiency etc. Meaning that meal timing has subjective influence on these parameters and one should adjust meal timing to suit their personal needs - actually saying "preference" indicates that the person likes to act in this or that way, but in terms of producing the best results - sometimes you need to cater to your personal Needs and not as much for preference.

There are studies galore that go into great detail that prove that meal timing is irrelevant to body composition, many of which Alan Aragon, whom i think is the number one guy on diet and nutrition in the world especially in lifting and sports, has written, or has some input into. He has even sumarised this topic all in one sentence in a sticky thread on this forum , which consists of no more than 10 or so words. Now that is simple.
    I don't think there are many studies that flat out say that meal timing is completely irrelevant. Also I don't think I've heard Alan Aragon ever say it's irrelevant. It's important to phrase it properly to avoid propagating the other extreme attitude.
    Here is what Alan says in the sticky:

The Primary Laws of Nutrient Timing

The First Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.
    The Second Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.

NOTE: Please do not misinterpret the above to mean that timing is irrelevant.

totally agree, i am referring to the casual lifter and even semi/ serious lifter. 99% of Bodybuilders, and i am including pro's here, are not serious athletes, in the face of what constitutes a serious athlete amongst other professional sports.
    I get what you are saying and you mean well. But when talking about these topics it pays great dividends to phrase yourself just right, so that your words won't be misinterpreted by less knowledgeable individuals.

I know what the gist of what you wrote means, but a beginner might think that any and all meal timing concerns are irrelevant and they won't pay any attention to it at all. While in reality Meal Timing can be very, very important. Just usually not in a "direct way" to influence body composition, but rather other parameters like energy levels, workout effectiveness and so forth which can then improve Body Composition.
    Owner of:

www.Aspartame-Research.com
    www.MayfieldFitness.net

Author of:

Flexible Dieting Handbook: How To Lose Weight by Eating What You Want - an Amazon Bestseller

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn. "

― Alvin Toffler