ArmiWife4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Eating clean,lifting heavy and GAINING weight...normal?

So, I have always been very active in the gym. Currently I am going at least 6 days a week. I am lifting heavy, getting in my cardio, and eating clean. I take several supplements as well. I am noticing changes in the way my clothes fit, and seeing more definition, however, the other day I decided to weigh in. I know better than to worry about the number on the scale, but in 3 days I actually gained 3 pounds. I have been trying to do some research to see if this can/is to be expected with my current workout/meal regimen. Ya know, the whole, "muscle weighs more than fat" theory. My general meal plan in a day is as follows:

Breakfast:
    1 whole egg, 3 egg whites and 1/2 cup of steel cut oats (measured raw)

Snack:
    1/2 cup organic plain greek yogurt with small serving of fruit or mixed berries

Lunch:
    4 ounces of protein (fish,chicken,lean ground turkey), + 1 Serving Fibrous Veggies + 1/2 Cup Brown Rice (Quinoa or 4oz Yam/Sweet Potato or 1 Slice Ezekiel Bread)

Snack:
    1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese with small serving of fruit or mixed berries.

Dinner:
    4 ounces of Chicken, Fish or Extra Lean Ground Turkey + 1 Serving Fibrous Veggies

I normally take a post op whey protein shake, mixed wtih water and I drink a casein protein shake before bed. As far as supplements go, I take CLA, fish oil and GNC Ultra Mega Women Vitamins.

I have been following the guidance I have found from a trained professional/body builder. I am in the process of bulking/cutting, and it is so much information to take in at times. I have questions, and the trainer I found the information from, at times, doesn't answer back or doesn't fully answer/understand the question.

Any help/advice anyone has to offer is greatly appreciated. I thank you in advance! Edit

Fitboss68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fitboss68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fitboss68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fitboss68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fitboss68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fitboss68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fitboss68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fitboss68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fitboss68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fitboss68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fitboss68 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It wasn't three pounds of muscle in three days. The most likely culprit would be water retention. Anytime you are taking supplements it is improtatnt to increase your water intake. It could also be due to where you are in your cycle, being dehydrated, the alignment of the stars, etc etc etc

add a little lemon juice and cucumber to your water

LOL! I didn't think I gained 3 pounds of muscle in 3 days...poor choice of wording on my part.This program I am on, I have been on for over 3 months, and it is working. I had decided early into the plan not to weigh myself through out until I could see a significant change in my clothes and definition to my body. Well, I felt that I could see drastic changes, and it would be ok to weigh in. I had lost over 10 pounds and was happy. Come Monday, I had weighed myself because I had purchased a new scale. Three days later my toddler was playing with the scale and asked that I get on. That is when I noticed the 3lb. difference. I also failed to mention that I drink at least 1.5gallons of water a day, and watch my sodium intake. I never add salt to my food, drink carbonated beverages,stay away from frozen/boxed/canned goods,etc. Thank you for your advice and encouraging words! I am still trying to get out of the obsession of only counting calories, and giving new things a chance. Thank you again!

Originally Posted by ohdar1ing View Post
    Not sheriff roll bread or glycogen/water.

OP... this is normal. Just enjoy your progress and keep training hard/eating clean.
    I'm sorry I don't understand what, "Not sheriff roll bread or glycogen/water." means....

sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Water retention

"Clean" foods still need to be within the correct calorie amount - measures can be off, you might want to consider a digital scale

Supps have calories, albiet not a lot, but it can add up. BCAAs, for example, can have 35 calories per serving. Fish oil pill, 10 calories. The shakes will have about 250 total or more.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Eating clean doesn't mean anything and bulking/cutting are 2 different goals. The number of meals you choose to eat, times you choose to eat and food choices don't make a difference in the end result. Get a solid balance of protein, carbs and healthy fats throughout your day. Using a wide variety of whole foods you enjoy will make it easier to stick to your plan. Sodium is needed to keep our electrolytes in balance. As long as you're staying well hydrated, you're constantly flushing your system. Supplements are a personal choice. I prefer to save my $$ for more important things. Everything you want to do can be done through diet and staying consistent in your training program. Water fluctuations happen and it's completely normal.

You can double check your calories based on your goal at this time:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703921

What training program are you running that has you in the gym 6 days a week? Lifting comes down to quality, not quantity and doing more never means it's better.

Good luck to you!
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    Eating clean doesn't mean anything and bulking/cutting are 2 different goals. The number of meals you choose to eat, times you choose to eat and food choices don't make a difference in the end result. Get a solid balance of protein, carbs and healthy fats throughout your day. Using a wide variety of whole foods you enjoy will make it easier to stick to your plan. Sodium is needed to keep our electrolytes in balance. As long as you're staying well hydrated, you're constantly flushing your system. Supplements are a personal choice. I prefer to save my $$ for more important things. Everything you want to do can be done through diet and staying consistent in your training program. Water fluctuations happen and it's completely normal.

You can double check your calories based on your goal at this time:

What training program are you running that has you in the gym 6 days a week? Lifting comes down to quality, not quantity and doing more never means it's better.

Good luck to you!
    Kimm4- Thank you for all of the information! I am just following a layout I found on a blog...for a summer challenge. To be honest, I am feeling a little overwhelmed now. I am such a detail oriented person and some of the things are very general. For example, "one serving of a vegetable". Well, I have been going on line and looking up what a serving is of whatever vegetable I am going to have. Also, when it comes to things like quinoa, or brown rice, it will say 1/2 cup. It doesn't specify raw, or cooked when you measure.

I have set a goal, and someday I would LOVE to compete, but I am finding that doing the research on my own is only confusing me more. LOL.
    My family and I are currently stationed in Alaska, so as far as trainers and resources go, I don't have many options.

I know how to "loose weight". At my heaviest I was 222. I got as low as 160. I usually go to the gym 5 days a week and do cardio at least 3. But, I am just trying to achieve an all time dream that I never felt I had the ability to do. I have the ambition, drive and determination. I'm not going to give up. I just am not sure where to start. I bought all the supps. that this challenge said were needed. I am doing the plan that they have put out and eating just as advised. I am seeing changes, but I want to have the knowledge and know why I am eating what I am eating and what my body needs to achieve the goals that I want. You look AMAZING! I would GREATLY appreciate ANY help/guidance you have would be VERY much appreciated!

CoderGirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) CoderGirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) CoderGirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) CoderGirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) CoderGirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) CoderGirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) CoderGirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) CoderGirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) CoderGirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) CoderGirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) CoderGirl is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ArmiWife4 View Post
    Kimm4- Thank you for all of the information! I am just following a layout I found on a blog...for a summer challenge. To be honest, I am feeling a little overwhelmed now. I am such a detail oriented person and some of the things are very general. For example, "one serving of a vegetable". Well, I have been going on line and looking up what a serving is of whatever vegetable I am going to have. Also, when it comes to things like quinoa, or brown rice, it will say 1/2 cup. It doesn't specify raw, or cooked when you measure.

I have set a goal, and someday I would LOVE to compete, but I am finding that doing the research on my own is only confusing me more. LOL.
    My family and I are currently stationed in Alaska, so as far as trainers and resources go, I don't have many options.

I know how to "loose weight". At my heaviest I was 222. I got as low as 160. I usually go to the gym 5 days a week and do cardio at least 3. But, I am just trying to achieve an all time dream that I never felt I had the ability to do. I have the ambition, drive and determination. I'm not going to give up. I just am not sure where to start. I bought all the supps. that this challenge said were needed. I am doing the plan that they have put out and eating just as advised. I am seeing changes, but I want to have the knowledge and know why I am eating what I am eating and what my body needs to achieve the goals that I want. You look AMAZING! I would GREATLY appreciate ANY help/guidance you have would be VERY much appreciated!
    Hello, congrats on the weight loss! That took dedication I'm sure. Kimm just gave you some pretty good advice.

And I know it seems silly when someone talks about how to lose weight, but a lot of people think they know how to lose weight when they only have a vague idea in its simplest forum. Like they assume things like they need to eat 'clean' and exercise a lot to lose weight which is incorrect but isn't a bad idea all the same. Many don't realize that they don't need to eat clean, they don't need supplements, they don't need to exercise their bums off, and they certainly don't need to starve themselves. Supplements aren't magic...they are not needed, ever...at all...I assure you. And I wouldn't trust any challenge that says it is needed...and I hope to God it's not the challenge I'm thinking of that had temporarily captured a few of my friends lol...temporarily...The only thing required to lose weight is to eat slightly less then your energy expenditure, which is pretty easy to estimate based on basil metabolic rate equations and a activity multiplier. If you want to learn more on that here's a good place to start:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal_metabolic_rate
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harris-Benedict_equation

Anyway, you should look up that 'glycogen' thing the above poster mentioned. That's what causes the water weight gains, especially if you are exercising allot or eating a lot of carbs. If you're active, it's very normal and healthy and needed for that to be there and I'd be worried if you didn't gain weight because well, you wouldn't be human.
    http://www.justinowings.com/understa...d-glycogen-de/
    while(lifting){lift++;lift--;}

Turning Betas into Gammas Wyomann's Avatar
    Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by CoderGirl View Post
    Anyway, you should look up that 'glycogen' thing the above poster mentioned. That's what causes the water weight gains, especially if you are exercising allot or eating a lot of carbs. If you're active, it's very normal and healthy and needed for that to be there and I'd be worried if you didn't gain weight because well, you wouldn't be human.
    Not to be a brat, but glycogen is not the same as water retention. Glycogen is fuel for your muscles and a necessary component to fuel working out hard and being strong. Glycogen is stored directly in the muscle itself as where water is retained throughout your entire body and in the muscle. Increased glycogen increases water retention, but it's not the only thing that causes water retention.

edit: the point of this was that glycogen is a good and necessary thing for strenuous workouts. Salts, sodium etc... can cause water retention and is not necessary except in miniscule amounts.
    Last edited by Wyomann; 03-07-2013 at 06:11 PM.
    Transformation Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170068283&page=1
    Pinecone Fitness: https://www.********.com/Pinecone-Fitness-1635681273361328/

Angi3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Angi3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Angi3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Angi3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Angi3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by ArmiWife4 View Post
    So, I have always been very active in the gym. Currently I am going at least 6 days a week. I am lifting heavy, getting in my cardio, and eating clean. I take several supplements as well. I am noticing changes in the way my clothes fit, and seeing more definition, however, the other day I decided to weigh in. I know better than to worry about the number on the scale, but in 3 days I actually gained 3 pounds. I have been trying to do some research to see if this can/is to be expected with my current workout/meal regimen. Ya know, the whole, "muscle weighs more than fat" theory. My general meal plan in a day is as follows:

Breakfast:
    1 whole egg, 3 egg whites and 1/2 cup of steel cut oats (measured raw)

Snack:
    1/2 cup organic plain greek yogurt with small serving of fruit or mixed berries

Lunch:
    4 ounces of protein (fish,chicken,lean ground turkey), + 1 Serving Fibrous Veggies + 1/2 Cup Brown Rice (Quinoa or 4oz Yam/Sweet Potato or 1 Slice Ezekiel Bread)

Snack:
    1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese with small serving of fruit or mixed berries.

Dinner:
    4 ounces of Chicken, Fish or Extra Lean Ground Turkey + 1 Serving Fibrous Veggies

I normally take a post op whey protein shake, mixed wtih water and I drink a casein protein shake before bed. As far as supplements go, I take CLA, fish oil and GNC Ultra Mega Women Vitamins.

I have been following the guidance I have found from a trained professional/body builder. I am in the process of bulking/cutting, and it is so much information to take in at times. I have questions, and the trainer I found the information from, at times, doesn't answer back or doesn't fully answer/understand the question.

Any help/advice anyone has to offer is greatly appreciated. I thank you in advance! Edit
    I've kind of been dealing with the same thing. But from what I've read it's normal. So keep doing what your doing and give it some more time to see what your outcome is. Good Luck & Train Hard!

CoderGirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) CoderGirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) CoderGirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) CoderGirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) CoderGirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) CoderGirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) CoderGirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) CoderGirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) CoderGirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) CoderGirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) CoderGirl is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Wyomann View Post
    Not to be a brat, but glycogen is not the same as water retention. Glycogen is fuel for your muscles and a necessary component to fuel working out hard and being strong. Glycogen is stored directly in the muscle itself as where water is retained throughout your entire body and in the muscle. Increased glycogen increases water retention, but it's not the only thing that causes water retention.

edit: the point of this was that glycogen is a good and necessary thing for strenuous workouts. Salts, sodium etc... can cause water retention and is not necessary except in miniscule amounts.
    Sigh I just wrote a big long post and then the website crapped out on me Try again:

Glycogen is indeed energy that travels around the body repairing our organs and muscles which is why I posted that link which explains it a bit. Not something you want to live without. I wouldn't classify it as water retension under the definition of "abnormal accumulation of fluid" since it's quite normal and should be there if you're human. We're mostly water, and glycogen is hydrated as well and will indeed cause weight fluctuations.

"Glycogen is stored in the liver, muscles, and fat cells in hydrated form (three to four parts water) associated with potassium (0.45 mmol K/g glycogen). Total body potassium (TBK) changes early in very-low-calorie diets (VLCDS) primarily reflect glycogen storage. Potassium released from glycogen can distort estimates of body composition during dieting. TBK changes due to glycogen mobilization were measured in 1 1 subjects after 4 d dieting with a VLCD. The influence of waterladen glycogen on weight fluctuations during the dieting process, the exaggerated regain if carbohydrate loading occurs, and the implications for weight control programs and overestimation of nitrogen losses with dieting are discussed." - Glycogen storage: illusions of easy weight loss, excessive weight regain, and distortions in estimates of body composition*
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/56/1/292S.full.pdf

Glycogen depletion isn't exactly something that should be desired long term. If you exercise constantly or go under low calorie diets you run into glycogen depletion, which is not considered a good thing long term and it well come back if you start eating again. Glycogen is great and helps repair our muscles and keeps us from getting injured. If you went on a low calorie diet and did a lot of endurance exercising (both which would cause depletion) you'd likely eventually find yourself in a cast. I suppose if we really wanted to get rid of water weight we could hardly eat, run around allot, and give a lot of blood lol. But I don't think we'd look any better if we did that. The goal isn't to lose water that continuously comes back in healthy individuals, it's generally to lose excess fat.

And since sodium was mentioned, glycogen is not exactly the kind of water that makes you look bad like I've seen people who eat excessive amounts of sodium do, just like having blood doesn't make you look bad. Since it repairs us and keeps us from getting injured it helps us look better in the long run (though every human will fluctuate slightly in size as well). We're mostly water. We should have that stuff in us. But it does cause small amounts of temporary weight gain. I'm after going up about 7lbs for 1 day after a 20km hike. To put on that amount of fat I'd have to take in 7*3500=24500 calories on top of my energy expenditure. And on those days my energy expenditure was high so I was definitely losing weight over all considering that amount of cardio is pretty good at running a huge calorie deficit. And the next day it was gone.

Moral of the story is you're human, you can't be a fixed weight or size, it will fluctuate slightly, and glycogen isn't making you fat, but there are water molecules associated with it, which isn't surprising since a significant fraction of the human body is water. Expect fluctuations even if you're losing.

Edit: oh look it gave me error pages but posted anyway that was a waste of time
    Last edited by CoderGirl; 03-08-2013 at 06:35 AM.

Turning Betas into Gammas Wyomann's Avatar
    Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by CoderGirl View Post
    Sigh I just wrote a big long post and then the website crapped out on me Try again:

1. We're mostly water, and glycogen is hydrated as well and will indeed cause weight fluctuations.

2. Glycogen depletion isn't exactly something that should be desired long term.

3. And since sodium was mentioned, glycogen is not exactly the kind of water that makes you look bad like I've seen people who eat excessive amounts of sodium do
    This seems to be right on par with what I said: "1. Increased glycogen increases water retention, but it's not the only thing that causes water retention.

2. the point of this was that glycogen is a good and necessary thing for strenuous workouts.

3. Salts, sodium etc... can cause water retention and is not necessary except in miniscule amounts.

You said this: "Anyway, you should look up that 'glycogen' thing the above poster mentioned. That's what causes the water weight gains, especially if you are exercising allot or eating a lot of carbs." I just think it needed to be clarified a bit.
    Transformation Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170068283&page=1
    Pinecone Fitness: https://www.********.com/Pinecone-Fitness-1635681273361328/

Originally Posted by Wyomann View Post
    This seems to be right on par with what I said: "1. Increased glycogen increases water retention, but it's not the only thing that causes water retention.

2. the point of this was that glycogen is a good and necessary thing for strenuous workouts.

3. Salts, sodium etc... can cause water retention and is not necessary except in miniscule amounts.

You said this: "Anyway, you should look up that 'glycogen' thing the above poster mentioned. That's what causes the water weight gains, especially if you are exercising allot or eating a lot of carbs." I just think it needed to be clarified a bit.
    Fair enough That's why I posted the link that explained it though.