Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Registered User themightyvandal's Avatar
    themightyvandal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by TammySeb View Post
    I've actually spoken to Michelle more than I've spoken to anyone else at NHE, but I usually get through when I call. I believe she works as an assistant though so she may be more accessible. I've only spoken to David twice and Jason only once so far.
    If you had to take a retake, that may take longer to process but if I were you I wouldn't call too much or post a bunch of frantic questions online. Just relax and wait for your results. They haven't forgotten about you and they haven't lost your exam. They do things very thoroughly, if you haven't guessed by now.

This notion you have of needing to speak to someone 'live' as opposed to emailing someone 'live' is 1999ish, particularly since you haven't been hired yet. Not to be mean, but you're still just a job candidate, along with hundreds of other people. Companies don't spend a lot of their time talking on the phone these days anyway, it's much easier and faster to communicate via email or text. I can assure you though, you are not emailing a robot. You ARE talking to a live person, via email. My advice would be to try and shake your voice fetish There is a reason all the major companies have converted to online 'live chat', it's because it's faster, cheaper and a better use of their time. Welcome to the 21st century.
    Actually... Live customer service is still considered the gold standard. Nobody wants to click through 10 minutes of automated options. These same people would rather talk to a person, than leave a message and have their questions go unanswered. If you're telling someone to get over a "voice fetish", you know nothing about real service.

Originally Posted by Gtarkfitness View Post
    They process them pretty fast. 2-3 weeks.
    No, all exams must be scored no later than 2 weeks.

You have a study guide... Study from it. There are seven or eight different exams for the master trainer program and so your exam will likely be formatted completely different the someone else's. I would guess this is precisely why they do it that way. It makes it near Impossible to online consult. Good luck.
    There are actually 10 different exams.

It sounds to me like there are quite a few posters, who have no accurate information about NHE, are giving people advice. The reason online fitness boards are flooded with NHE Scam reports, is because of minimal transparency in the hiring process. The company's website lays out basic hiring processes that aren't followed.

The truth.

Potential recruits are contacted via spam mail, immediately raising scam concerns. They are put in contact with a hiring official, such as Jason Sullivan, who asks them to provide a sample of their work by designing a workout plan. Afterwards, the work is evaluated, and recruitment exemptions are given and candidates are granted conditional job offers. The exemptions and job offer make candidates feel as if they are somehow, special. The questionnaire is often waived, minimum exam score requirements are often dropped from 84% down to 76%. The study guide is not required, but is offered as an exam supplemental tool for the price of $180. Candidates are not forced, but are persuaded to pay for a study guide, by design of course. There is an exam reimbursement program in which a few waivers must be signed and returned, and exam specific performance criteria must be met.

The exam is only offered during weekends, and runs 3 hours. There are a few sample questions on the NHE page, but testers are left overwhelmed by the format and length. 230 questions must be answered in 180 minutes. This doesn't sound bad, but many of the questions are short essay, multiple part questions that are in depth, and require a great deal of thought. The exam is difficult, and is based mostly on a specific NHE study guide.

After the exam, candidates are left to wait. They are not told for how long. Once the exam is scored, the candidates are sent an automatically generated email that either gives them an "Authorized" or "Unauthorized" status. The exam results are not released, whether or not a study guide has been purchased.

Testers that wish to retake the exam are given two free "retakes"... further incentive to purchase a guide.

Gtarkfitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It's interesting how people have their own 'truths'. Maybe you do not understand what the word 'persuaded' means, but if one is given several free opportunities to take the exam that is a dissuasion because there is no one who believes they cannot pass the exam given a couple of attempts. Two of my trainers applied for the pfms position as a direct result of me posting here. One was required to pass with an eighty percent and the other a seventy-five percent. Apparently there is some fluctuation there. The other inaccuracy you posted is the cost of the study guide. Perhaps the biggest misrepresentation of the truth is this notion that people are 'persuaded' to purchase something. The waiver you are referring to is an exam fee exempt form and it explicitly states that you were not 'persuaded' to purchase anything. Funny how you chose that word specifically, particularly since you apparently signed it. I realize though that unless you use words like 'persuaded', or 'pressured', or highly recommended' or 'incentive' in your post, your point has no backbone. The problem is, we all have access to the very same information and so in the end it's easy to tell who is telling the truth and who is exaggerating, despite such convincing headings like 'The Truth'.
    Last edited by Gtarkfitness; 05-30-2013 at 08:29 AM.

TammySeb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    themightyvandal- Minimum transparency in the hiring process? The entire process is posted online in specific detail. They tell you exactly what to expect and how long everything will take. You say after the exam people are left to wait and are not told for how long but you just said you know as fact that it doesn't take longer than two weeks. I got my results back the next business day.

You're trying too hard to "persuade" people. If you failed the exam, then just go quietly into the night, but don't start a neg campaign online to make yourself feel better. You're not helping anyone when your facts are twisted.

themightyvandal- Minimum transparency in the hiring process? The entire process is posted online in specific detail. They tell you exactly what to expect and how long everything will take. You say after the exam people are left to wait and are not told for how long but you just said you know as fact that it doesn't take longer than two weeks. I got my results back the next business day.

You're trying too hard to "persuade" people. If you failed the exam, then just go quietly into the night, but don't start a neg campaign online to make yourself feel better. You're not helping anyone when your facts are twisted.
    When we host exams we are told that exams are processed within three weeks but that could be a different process for students. A couple of my trainers applied for part time work at NHE but I don't know how long it took to get their exam results.

Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hey Brother, everything you posted leads me to believe they do as much as possible to help you pass the exam. What more could you possibly want and you conveniently forgot to mention that they give you all of the exam topics, textbook recommendation lists, all retakes are free and they let you take that exam from home. The only thing they don't do is take the exam for you.

Give me a freakin break with this!
    To succeed at doing what you love, you often must do many things you hate.

Originally Posted by Ronin4help View Post
    Hey Brother, everything you posted leads me to believe they do as much as possible to help you pass the exam. What more could you possibly want and you conveniently forgot to mention that they give you all of the exam topics, textbook recommendation lists, all retakes are free and they let you take that exam from home. The only thing they don't do is take the exam for you.

Give me a freakin break with this!
    When my staff was going through the process, I made sure I was there to read all the forms and associated documents. They are very detailed oriented and so i simply can't buy into this notion that there is no transparency. You have to read whats provided. Obviously if you don't take the time to read whats provided, you're going to be clueless. It struck me that the recruitment process was reasonable beyond what I was expecting. I don't do half what they do when I interview people. Everyone online talks about how hard the exam is and how it's the bar exam for fitness pros but the process is as fair as you'll find anywhere, I guarantee it. I don't think the exam is for everyone. It's hard and comprehensive and so there are going to be a lot of people who fail it. Some will be so pissed that they'll join a forum just to discredit the company but that's pathetic. You can't join a forum or discussion group with only one agenda.

Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000)
    When my staff was going through the process, I made sure I was there to read all the forms and associated documents. They are very detailed oriented and so i simply can't buy into this notion that there is no transparency. You have to read whats provided. Obviously if you don't take the time to read whats provided, you're going to be clueless. It struck me that the recruitment process was reasonable beyond what I was expecting. I don't do half what they do when I interview people. Everyone online talks about how hard the exam is and how it's the bar exam for fitness pros but the process is as fair as you'll find anywhere, I guarantee it. I don't think the exam is for everyone. It's hard and comprehensive and so there are going to be a lot of people who fail it. Some will be so pissed that they'll join a forum just to discredit the company but that's pathetic. You can't join a forum or discussion group with only one agenda.
    Amen.

Registered User Briiiiliantmate's Avatar
    Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by themightyvandal View Post
    It sounds to me like there are quite a few posters, who have no accurate information about NHE, are giving people advice. The reason online fitness boards are flooded with NHE Scam reports, is because of minimal transparency in the hiring process. The company's website lays out basic hiring processes that aren't followed.

The truth.

Potential recruits are contacted via spam mail, immediately raising scam concerns. They are put in contact with a hiring official, such as Jason Sullivan, who asks them to provide a sample of their work by designing a workout plan. Afterwards, the work is evaluated, and recruitment exemptions are given and candidates are granted conditional job offers. The exemptions and job offer make candidates feel as if they are somehow, special. The questionnaire is often waived, minimum exam score requirements are often dropped from 84% down to 76%. The study guide is not required, but is offered as an exam supplemental tool for the price of $180. Candidates are not forced, but are persuaded to pay for a study guide, by design of course. There is an exam reimbursement program in which a few waivers must be signed and returned, and exam specific performance criteria must be met.

The exam is only offered during weekends, and runs 3 hours. There are a few sample questions on the NHE page, but testers are left overwhelmed by the format and length. 230 questions must be answered in 180 minutes. This doesn't sound bad, but many of the questions are short essay, multiple part questions that are in depth, and require a great deal of thought. The exam is difficult, and is based mostly on a specific NHE study guide.

After the exam, candidates are left to wait. They are not told for how long. Once the exam is scored, the candidates are sent an automatically generated email that either gives them an "Authorized" or "Unauthorized" status. The exam results are not released, whether or not a study guide has been purchased.

Testers that wish to retake the exam are given two free "retakes"... further incentive to purchase a guide.
    If I understand you correctly, you're upset because they alleviated certain recruitment requirements, reduced the minimum passing score to make it easier for you to pass, allowed you to take the exam from home after telling you everything that is going to be on it, didn't make you buy anything and allowed you to retake it for free after you failed??.... You're an idiot.
    'Real beauty is what's inside.' You know you are ugly if someone tells you this.

There's nothing twisted about my post. The reason I know the exam must be scored within two weeks, is because that is actually the company's policy. No later than two weeks. I know, because I had to ask. What I posted regarding the hiring process is accurate. It was meant to inform those who have asked questions regarding the process, and those who have been left unanswered by NHE.

marktillert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Briiiiliantmate View Post
    If I understand you correctly, you're upset because they alleviated certain recruitment requirements, reduced the minimum passing score to make it easier for you to pass, allowed you to take the exam from home after telling you everything that is going to be on it, didn't make you buy anything and allowed you to retake it for free after you failed??.... You're an idiot.
    If you post online after you failed the exam, it tells everyone that you are angry and want to vent your frustration, possibly deter others from taking the exam by using some hot words like 'scam' and others. There is no other reason to conduct an online search after the fact. Most online fitness searches are done to seek information, not to find threads to post in.

If you look at most personal trainer posts from newbies, they are generally asking questions seeking advice on how to pass the exam or better prepare for it. Those are legitimate posts worth consideration. If a person has already gone through the process, whatever it is, and then goes online to search for a place to flame, then that person has an obvious agenda and should be ignored. I can almost guarantee ' themightyvandal' will return and address each and every one of your posts that shine him and his theory in a negative light. He/she will not visit any other threads or address any other fitness subjects. This type of poster is a non productive waste of time.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by marktillert View Post
    If you post online after you failed the exam, it tells everyone that you are angry and want to vent your frustration, possibly deter others from taking the exam by using some hot words like 'scam' and others. There is no other reason to conduct an online search after the fact. Most online fitness searches are done to seek information, not to find threads to post in.

If you look at most personal trainer posts from newbies, they are generally asking questions seeking advice on how to pass the exam or better prepare for it. Those are legitimate posts worth consideration. If a person has already gone through the process, whatever it is, and then goes online to search for a place to flame, then that person has an obvious agenda and should be ignored. I can almost guarantee ' themightyvandal' will return and address each and every one of your posts that shine him and his theory in a negative light. He/she will not visit any other threads or address any other fitness subjects. This type of poster is a non productive waste of time.

Good luck.
    I hope you're wrong. Newbies that join just to vent and don't bother to help others out piss me off. Especially when nothing said has any value whatsoever.

I only joined to answer some of the questions listed, as you provided inaccurate information. I didn't create this thread. I didn't call the company names, nor was I whining, or attacking other posters. The study guide is $180. There are 10 different versions of the exams. And the exams are scored no later than 2 weeks from when they are taken online. Those numbers aren't made up. They're all correct.

Didn't mention anything about failing.

marktillert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Didn't I tell you guys he'd come back to address each and every post. LOL!

I only joined to answer some of the questions listed, as you provided inaccurate information. I didn't create this thread. I didn't call the company names, nor was I whining, or attacking other posters. The study guide is $180. There are 10 different versions of the exams. And the exams are scored no later than 2 weeks from when they are taken online. Those numbers aren't made up. They're all correct.
    No one cares.

Now that everyone is up in arms, have resorted to name calling, and insults, I realize what kind of forum this is.

I passed this NHE exam, but recieved an "unauthorized" email. I didn't receive my study guide reimbursement even though all criteria were met. When I asked to see the detailed exam I was accused of cheating.

I think it's valuable information to pass on to potential candidates. Posters may choose to ignore it, they make take the warning to heart, or they may become outraged like some of you. NHE took my money, fair warning for anyone else.

You may certainly jump to all the conclusions you wish, or continue slinging insults. It doesn't much bother me. I do hope my discussion reaches those that may get a better idea of what to expect. Perhaps they'll have a better experience with NHE than I did... or perhaps they'll get the same treatment. From what I've seen, it isn't uncommon.

Now that everyone is up in arms, have resorted to name calling, and insults, I realize what kind of forum this is.

I passed this NHE exam, but recieved an "unauthorized" email. I didn't receive my study guide reimbursement even though all criteria were met. When I asked to see the detailed exam I was accused of cheating.

I think it's valuable information to pass on to potential candidates. Posters may choose to ignore it, they make take the warning to heart, or they may become outraged like some of you. NHE took my money, fair warning for anyone else.

You may certainly jump to all the conclusions you wish, or continue slinging insults. It doesn't much bother me. I do hope my discussion reaches those that may get a better idea of what to expect. Perhaps they'll have a better experience with NHE than I did... or perhaps they'll get the same treatment. From what I've seen, it isn't uncommon.
    Finally... The truth. You cheated on the exam and thought that because you took it while no one was watching you'd get away with it. You are an idiot. Please go away.

Registered User Briiiiliantmate's Avatar
    Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Dude, you got busted for cheating. So now you're going to warn others that the company does the right thing and fails those who cheat so cheaters beware? Do you even know how many backyard trainers this industry would get rid of if all cert companies did this. I'm tired of hearing how people scored a 90 on their ACE exam. Doubt it.
    'Real beauty is what's inside.' You know you are ugly if someone tells you this.

Dude, you got busted for cheating. So now you're going to warn others that the company does the right thing and fails those who cheat so cheaters beware? Do you even know how many backyard trainers this industry would get rid of if all cert companies did this. I'm tired of hearing how people scored a 90 on their ACE exam. Doubt it.
    If the guy had passed, he wouldn't think to join and 'warn' people even though he knew he cheated. If that doesn't tell you the state of affairs this industry is in I don't know what else would besides watching how some of these guys train.

wiscoek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Ronin4help View Post
    If the guy had passed, he wouldn't think to join and 'warn' people even though he knew he cheated. If that doesn't tell you the state of affairs this industry is in I don't know what else would besides watching how some of these guys train.
    If I spent three hours copying terms from the study guide onto the exam and ended up with nothing after all of that effort, I'd be pissed too! It may seem easy but copying and pasting from an iPad is very difficult and requires skill that many just don't have. Evidently the exam graders at NHE are a bunch of fuddy-duddys who expect everyone to write out original answers from pure thought. Who still does that when all the answers are readily available online. Who cares if the answers aren't mine, I still provided them and so I should get a certificate.. or better still.. a job from my effort alone. It shouldn't matter that I have no idea what I'm talking about, I bought a study guide and so those answers essentially belong to me. I'm going to post everywhere to make sure others are warned to stay away. LOL...I'm joking of course

Originally Posted by wiscoek View Post
    If I spent three hours copying terms from the study guide onto the exam and ended up with nothing after all of that effort, I'd be pissed too! It may seem easy but copying and pasting from an iPad is very difficult and requires skill that many just don't have. Evidently the exam graders at NHE are a bunch of fuddy-duddys who expect everyone to write out original answers from pure thought. Who still does that when all the answers are readily available online. Who cares if the answers aren't mine, I still provided them and so I should get a certificate.. or better still.. a job from my effort alone. It shouldn't matter that I have no idea what I'm talking about, I bought a study guide and so those answers essentially belong to me. I'm going to post everywhere to make sure others are warned to stay away. LOL...I'm joking of course
    You maybe kidding around but I think that's what he really believes and many others too. It's the Internet generation. Why learn anything when I could just look it up online.

wiscoek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It's sad really. Almost every month there is a new cheating scandal on CNN. It's an epidemic.

rhenergized has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Seeking answers to your questions

Go to the website, visit the homepage and go to the Recruitment Process section and it will tell you everything. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by wiscoek View Post
    NHE Certification Personal Fitness Management Specialists Job

Monster.com sent my resume to NHE for the PFMS position. I've done a lot of research on the company and have found them to be legit. The problem is the mastertrainer exam they use to test your expertise. Everyone says it's harder than ACSM. They say the exam is at no cost to me and I can retake at no cost too but do they really consider the second exam if you fail the first?

Originally Posted by rhenergized View Post
    Go to the website, visit the homepage and go to the Recruitment Process section and it will tell you everything. Hope this helps.
    Seriously? This is why you joined? Will someone please close this thread already. It's getting ridiculous.

HF7600 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I went through the entire interview process recently for a curriculum development position. I dealt primarily with a lady named Marissa for a couple of weeks. I didn't end up getting the job because I may have been underqualified- which I don't really see how because I have a masters degree in exercise physiology, but the entire recruitment process was very professional. In terms of buying books or certificates from them, selling me something was never a part of any conversation I had with anyone at nhe. She couldn't have cared less about me getting a study book. In the beginning, I actually tried to push the issue about getting a study book just to see if she would sell me one or try and talk me into getting one and she told me that it was not a requirement and since I had my own exercise physiology books that I could use them instead if I was concerned about passing their test. She was trying to talk me out of getting one, not the other way around.

I'm not trying to 'persuade' anyone here ether way so you don't have to believe me. If you go through the process yourself simply ask whomever you are dealing with about getting a study guide and see what he/she says. I would bet that you will have a similar experience. They seemed much more concerned with making sure that I was a real personal trainer and that I wasn't exaggerating on my résumé.

When people fail the exam or don't get hired they look for excuses instead of looking in the mirror. Everyone's to blame but them.

HF7600 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I wasn't blaming anyone. I don't think I'm underqualifed but I understand that each company has its own protocol. I think nhe is a good company. I would not have applied there if I thought otherwise.