DuckGal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile A Hello and a Question About Being Sick

Hi, my name is Dani. I'm new to this forum and BodyBuilding. I joined because my friend encouraged me to enter the competition, but also because I really want to be healthy and in shape. I live in Western Canada with my husband and son. I have a 2 year old that's still breastfeeding, but I'm hoping a new exercise plan will help to wean him. I feel like I'm always busy. Just starting a new career as a financial advisor and also working on illustrations so I can be a picturebook author *faints*

Okay, on to my question. I was working out just before Christmas... maybe 2-3 times a week. Then I got sick with a cold (coughing a lot and having a hard time breathing). I'm over that now, but my son is sick with another cold and I'm afraid I'm going to get sick again. I hope not and will take preventative measures, but I still want to work out while sick.

I've been told that it's bad to work out while sick, but I find that there are days that I can do things (especially with a cold) even if they aren't to the same level as when I'm well. My question is do I need to stop working out if I get a bad cold, or are there exercises I can do if breathing is an issue? Any exercises would be good, because I don't want to stop completely. TIA for any help you can give!

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If you are working out in public and are contagious, it is just courtesy to stay home.

If you are working out at home or are not contagious, then do what feels good. If you feel exhausted and horrible, don't force it. If you just feel crummy but going through the motions feels good, then do that.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm still getting over the same thing. When I first got sick I stayed out of the commercial gym for a week (was REALLY sick so I deloaded), when I first started back I lifted at home to make sure I was alright, then went back to the commerical gym too. Pretty sure I can't possibly be contagious anymore, it's been 3 weeks but I'm still coughing sometimes. If you're at that point just take some Dayquil and you should be ok. If any kind of exercise makes you feel like you're dieing then take some more time off.
    Current PRs:
    Bench Press: 200x1
    Deads: 315x1
    Back Squats: 275x1

*Team Amazon* - Sisterhood of Iron
    *Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

DuckGal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Oh yeah, I would never go somewhere and share my germs like that. I mean sweating, coughing and sneezing sure don't mix! I do all my workouts at home right now. I had a gym pass for years and just wasn't motivated to go. I think if I join something else it will be something for cardio only, and hopefully when I move that place will have a weight room.

Registered User sweetkissees918's Avatar
    sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Rule of thumb for sickness and working out are...

If your sickness is above the neck (stuffy nose, headache, minor cough, head congestion, etc) Go for it.

If your sickness is below the neck (fever, body aches, chills, chest congestion, etc) rest, rest, rest.
    ▪█───────█▪

Bench Press: Current: 210lbs Goal: 225lbs
    Deadlift: Current: 442.5lbs (World Record) Goal: 500lbs
    Military Press: Current: 120lbs Goal: 135lbs
    Squat: Current: 372.5lbs Goal: 400lbs

~Working out and not eating right is like doing your homework and not turning it in.~

******** link to our training page: www.********.com/pages/Xtreme-Fitness/1478082779087471

marinajason has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You have to do small exercises, until your health is not become perfect for gym exercise.. Get well soon.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Health and safety training course and asbestos training at http://www.medwaysafety.co.uk/

famousa88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) famousa88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) famousa88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) famousa88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) famousa88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) famousa88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) famousa88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) famousa88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by DuckGal View Post
    Oh yeah, I would never go somewhere and share my germs like that..
    Thank you!! Not everyone is as considerate. I'm not sure that it is a coincidence that they are often the same people who don't cover their mouth/nose when sneezing/coughing. Such a pet peeve!

whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by sweetkissees918 View Post
    Rule of thumb for sickness and working out are...

If your sickness is above the neck (stuffy nose, headache, minor cough, head congestion, etc) Go for it.

If your sickness is below the neck (fever, body aches, chills, chest congestion, etc) rest, rest, rest.
    i agree with that.

OP, if your body is truly trying to fight an infection, it can only do so much. so to exhaust it with a workout might prolong your sickness. interestingly, i haven't been sick sick in a long time...but when i have been feeling lousy, i tend to just rest a day or two, cuz my workouts end up not being all that great, if i'm not focused. (i'm not focused when i don't feel good)

like oregonchick said above...basically, just listen to your body.

nojennyno will become famous soon enough. (+50) nojennyno will become famous soon enough. (+50) nojennyno will become famous soon enough. (+50) nojennyno will become famous soon enough. (+50) nojennyno will become famous soon enough. (+50) nojennyno will become famous soon enough. (+50) nojennyno will become famous soon enough. (+50) nojennyno will become famous soon enough. (+50) nojennyno will become famous soon enough. (+50) nojennyno will become famous soon enough. (+50) nojennyno will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I went through the same thing for two weeks! Then I got a vaccination for traveling to another country, which kept me in bed for another week.

Best thing is to recover through the roughest patch then work out with better energy level. You are your own judge with this one. I went to the gym when I wasn't contagious, but was working out at about 50% and felt even worse afterwards.
    Always on the go, no regrets.
    Currently jetsetting off to a different country every week.

My adventures in heels:
    http://nojennyno.blogspot.com