LanaDelRey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LanaDelRey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LanaDelRey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LanaDelRey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LanaDelRey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LanaDelRey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LanaDelRey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LanaDelRey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LanaDelRey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LanaDelRey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LanaDelRey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Question Question about doing cardio between SS days +

I have been doing starting strength for about two weeks now, moving up normally in all areas. The author and many boards say that newbs like me shouldn't alter the program in any way.

Well, I am convinced that having a good aerobic capacity (e.g. Doing cardio) is not only for people looking to lose far but also weightlifters who want to gain mass.

Before ss, I would do the occasional HIT and regular low intensity cardio (twenty minute cycles keeping within my zones 1 and 2)

I really liked HIT cardio. I usually did a circuit like this:

Barbell dead lifts
    Raised leg Push up
    Standing dumbbell sould press
    Burpees
    Treadmill sprints

I do 45 seconds, on to the next w/out rest, for 6-7 sets (light weights of course)

My question is, which one is better? Jogging or the circuits? Also, how could I fit them into starting strength without holding up my progression?

Is there a way? Please don't tell me that cardio is useless because that's been proven numerous times.

Registered User StaffOfPower314's Avatar
    StaffOfPower314 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by LanaDelRey View Post
    I have been doing starting strength for about two weeks now, moving up normally in all areas. The author and many boards say that newbs like me shouldn't alter the program in any way.

Well, I am convinced that having a good aerobic capacity (e.g. Doing cardio) is not only for people looking to lose far but also weightlifters who want to gain mass.

Before ss, I would do the occasional HIT and regular low intensity cardio (twenty minute cycles keeping within my zones 1 and 2)

I really liked HIT cardio. I usually did a circuit like this:

Barbell dead lifts
    Raised leg Push up
    Standing dumbbell sould press
    Burpees
    Treadmill sprints

I do 45 seconds, on to the next w/out rest, for 6-7 sets (light weights of course)

My question is, which one is better? Jogging or the circuits? Also, how could I fit them into starting strength without holding up my progression?

Is there a way? Please don't tell me that cardio is useless because that's been proven numerous times.
    You just should stop overanalyzing so many things.

Your main concern should be your nutrition. You could compete in a triathlon every day and still pack on mass as long as you appropriately adjust your calories. I assume mass is your concern. If strength/power is your concern, remember that your nervous system is heavily recruited with these types of programs. You can gain strength even if you don't eat in such a way that would allow you to gain mass. The only reason cardio would be a problem if STRENGTH is your concern would be if you do a LOT of it, hindering the rest and recovery of your nervous system.

If you want to do conditioning/endurance training, stick with regular cardio like jogging, cycling, running, etc.

DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If it's easy, do it for 20-30 minutes on your off days.

If it's difficult, do it for ~5 minutes right after your workouts.

If it hurts your lifts, don't do it at all.

This goes for sprints and other metabolic conditioning, low intensity steady state cardio, bodyweight circuits and anything else.