Brito87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Protein powder causes heart palpitations

Few weeks ago i started taking protein powder PVL Mutant Whey and started experiencing some heart palpitations and fatigue. I decided to stop taking the protein for about two weeks and the heart palpitations went away. Yesterday i started taking protein again and the heart palpitations come back. What could be causing this? The label says this protein stimulate nitric oxyde synthase by up 950%...could be this the cause of the problem?

cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    what protein are you using
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total

goddy310 is on a distinguished road. (+10) goddy310 is on a distinguished road. (+10) goddy310 is on a distinguished road. (+10) goddy310 is on a distinguished road. (+10) goddy310 is on a distinguished road. (+10) goddy310 is on a distinguished road. (+10) goddy310 is on a distinguished road. (+10) goddy310 is on a distinguished road. (+10) goddy310 is on a distinguished road. (+10) goddy310 is on a distinguished road. (+10) goddy310 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Protein won't do that. Nitric oxide will. NO is a vascular dilator which basically opens up your arteries for greater blood flow through out the body. This could cause a change in blood pressure, which tells the heart to get its shhhh together and do something to fix the altered blood pressure. In all seriousness, don't take that product anymore.

Medical Student Checking in.....

TonyJH is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TonyJH is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TonyJH is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TonyJH is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TonyJH is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TonyJH is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TonyJH is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TonyJH is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TonyJH is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TonyJH is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TonyJH is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    correlation =/= causation

it's probably the brand of protein that has some shady shiet in the ingredients. like goddy310 said^ probably alot of nitric oxide
    *Alina Baraz & Galimatias Urban Flora CREW*

I never felt anything like this with other proteins. So, you think the heart palpitations are caused by nitric oxide?

Puckettg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Puckettg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Puckettg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Puckettg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Puckettg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Puckettg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Puckettg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Puckettg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Puckettg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Puckettg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Puckettg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've never heard of heart palpitations from protein powders =/

Dimaline312000 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dimaline312000 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dimaline312000 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dimaline312000 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dimaline312000 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dimaline312000 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dimaline312000 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dimaline312000 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dimaline312000 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dimaline312000 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dimaline312000 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I'm a heart pacient and I just got back from the Dr today in fact because I had 2 recent experiences with heart palpatations becasue my condition is so severe I have an ICD (Implanted Cardiac Difbrulator) now I've never had any problems with any supplements causing heart Palpatations. My point being is if you are having any type of palpatations with your heart you need to talk with your Dr. Not saying the Protein or whatever ingredients are or aren't causing the problem but it's something you should talk to your Dr. about. It may just be the supplement you are taking and if that's the case just get off of it but anything involving the heart like that should be checked out. IMO.
    Whatever the mind can Conceive and Believe the mind can Achieve. (Napoleon Hill)

Go Detroit Red Wings!!!!
    Go Grand Rapids Sled Wings!!!!

goddy310 is on a distinguished road. (+10) goddy310 is on a distinguished road. (+10) goddy310 is on a distinguished road. (+10) goddy310 is on a distinguished road. (+10) goddy310 is on a distinguished road. (+10) goddy310 is on a distinguished road. (+10) goddy310 is on a distinguished road. (+10) goddy310 is on a distinguished road. (+10) goddy310 is on a distinguished road. (+10) goddy310 is on a distinguished road. (+10) goddy310 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Brito87 View Post
    I never felt anything like this with other proteins. So, you think the heart palpitations are caused by nitric oxide?
    It can be one of those rare case side effects. I would switch to a different protein (only protein) for 2 weeks. If everything is okay, then you know its not protein. Only then would i start using an NO product (L-arginine key in NO synthesis) for the next two week. This will confirm that you are sensible to NO, or that the initial product you use was faulty.

I will take another protein to see what happens.

OptimumBody will become famous soon enough. (+50) OptimumBody will become famous soon enough. (+50) OptimumBody will become famous soon enough. (+50) OptimumBody will become famous soon enough. (+50) OptimumBody will become famous soon enough. (+50) OptimumBody will become famous soon enough. (+50) OptimumBody will become famous soon enough. (+50) OptimumBody will become famous soon enough. (+50) OptimumBody will become famous soon enough. (+50) OptimumBody will become famous soon enough. (+50) OptimumBody will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Brito87 View Post
    Few weeks ago i started taking protein powder PVL Mutant Whey and started experiencing some heart palpitations and fatigue. I decided to stop taking the protein for about two weeks and the heart palpitations went away. Yesterday i started taking protein again and the heart palpitations come back. What could be causing this? The label says this protein stimulate nitric oxyde synthase by up 950%...could be this the cause of the problem?
    It could be because of nitric oxide or maybe it's an allergy or food poisonining. Do you experience any sort of abdomen pain?. If yes, then there is probably some abnormal reactions going on in your stomach and small intestine.
    Last edited by OptimumBody; 02-06-2013 at 04:23 PM.

Originally Posted by OptimumBody View Post
    It could be because of nitric oxide or maybe it's an allergy or food poisonining. Do you experience any sort of abdomen pain?. If yes, then there is probably some abnormal reactions going on in your stomach and small intestine.

No, i dont have any abdomen pain, only heart palpitations and some fatigue.

Originally Posted by goddy310 View Post
    It can be one of those rare case side effects. I would switch to a different protein (only protein) for 2 weeks. If everything is okay, then you know its not protein. Only then would i start using an NO product (L-arginine key in NO synthesis) for the next two week. This will confirm that you are sensible to NO, or that the initial product you use was faulty.

I think it has nothing to do with the whey, bacause i take whey for several years and never had this reaction. All the whey proteins that i have took had the aminoacide l-arginine, that stimulate the production of nitric oxide. I think the problem is the amount of NO produced. As the mutant whey label says it has peptides that stimulate nitric oxide synthase by up 950%, increasing blood flow and pump. I think this the problem. Do you agree?

fresh59 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I found this thread today through a Google search, which is odd because last week I searched using the BodyBuilding.com search engine before leaving my own complaint about palpitations from a different brand of protein powder in this same forum on the 16th. So, my apologies for having two similar threads running.

I checked the ingredients listed on the PVL Mutant Whey label (which I saw posted online) and did not see Nitric Oxide as an ingredient. Now, there is a "ActiNOS hydrolized whey protein bio-active peptide isolate". Would THAT be the Nitric Oxide? It sounds more like a whey protein isolate. (I'd leave a link, but I don't have enough posts to put a link in the message.)

The protein powder that gave me palpitations is Body Fortress, which does not have Nitric Oxide nor ActiNOS* listed as an ingredient. The ingredients in the Body Fortress powder is as follows:

Whey Protein Concentrate
    Whey Protein Isolate
    Creatine Monohydrate
    Taurine
    L-Glutamine
    Leucine
    Isolecucine
    Valine
    Maltodextrin
    Natural and artificial flavors
    Beet juice
    Color
    Soy lethicin
    Acesulfame potassium
    Cellulose Gum
    Sucralose

There is also a "Typical Amino Acid Profile" list that includes:

Essential Amino Acids
    Histidine
    Isoleucine
    Lysine
    Methionine
    Phenylalanine (probably what Swamp Dog was referring to. Is this something that would not be included in all powders?)
    Threonine
    Tryptophan
    Valine

Non-Essential Amino Acids
    Alanine
    Arginine
    Aspartic Acid
    Cysteine
    Glutamic Acid
    Glycine
    Proline
    Serine
    Tyrosine

Team MuscleTech Rep/EMT-B BlueRev's Avatar
    BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I suggest you see a doctor.
    Period.
    Kick.com/beetoxic
    Give me a Follow for some REP

McWinning is just really nice. (+1000) McWinning is just really nice. (+1000) McWinning is just really nice. (+1000) McWinning is just really nice. (+1000) McWinning is just really nice. (+1000) McWinning is just really nice. (+1000) McWinning is just really nice. (+1000) McWinning is just really nice. (+1000) McWinning is just really nice. (+1000) McWinning is just really nice. (+1000) McWinning is just really nice. (+1000)
    well this just scared me to take my NO pre workout lol

Registered Golfer ShoooterMcGavin's Avatar
    ShoooterMcGavin is a name known to all. (+5000) ShoooterMcGavin is a name known to all. (+5000) ShoooterMcGavin is a name known to all. (+5000) ShoooterMcGavin is a name known to all. (+5000) ShoooterMcGavin is a name known to all. (+5000) ShoooterMcGavin is a name known to all. (+5000) ShoooterMcGavin is a name known to all. (+5000) ShoooterMcGavin is a name known to all. (+5000) ShoooterMcGavin is a name known to all. (+5000) ShoooterMcGavin is a name known to all. (+5000) ShoooterMcGavin is a name known to all. (+5000)
    its clearly your protein, it has some kind of stimulant in it to cause your palpitations.

just get a regular whey protein, no fillers, no NO, no nothing. just straight up whey and you should be fine.
    SPRING CUTTERS CREW

OptimumBody will become famous soon enough. (+50) OptimumBody will become famous soon enough. (+50) OptimumBody will become famous soon enough. (+50) OptimumBody will become famous soon enough. (+50) OptimumBody will become famous soon enough. (+50) OptimumBody will become famous soon enough. (+50) OptimumBody will become famous soon enough. (+50) OptimumBody will become famous soon enough. (+50) OptimumBody will become famous soon enough. (+50) OptimumBody will become famous soon enough. (+50) OptimumBody will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ShoooterMcGavin View Post
    its clearly your protein, it has some kind of stimulant in it to cause your palpitations.

just get a regular whey protein, no fillers, no NO, no nothing. just straight up whey and you should be fine.
    Yes, take the regular whey.