flycaster1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Is muscle memory involved when coming back to weight training?

Always exercised my whole life. Not enough as a bodybuilder, but enough to stay in shape and look good. During the last several years I have had a few operations that have gotten me of the exercise path. And, during the last year of not routinely exercising (3-4 days/wk, 1 hour weight training), I've gotten soft. So, holding to my New Year's resolution, I've been working out in our gym 3 days/wk doing triple sets (opposite muscle groups and legs for each set). I was never a heavy lifter and started working out with lift weight at 15 reps. Anyway, at 74 I am surprised that it seems that my muscles are tighten up and showing (somewhat) more than they did the year before going back to the gym. So the question is: If one has always worked out and then stops longer enough to loose a lot of the gain, does the muscle mass come back quicker for this individual than it would for one who never worked out (or only minimally) and just started to work out? It just seems to me that within a month of returning to the gym, I am improving rather rapidly.

w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    newb gains are usually fast and so is coming back from a layoff. Not sure which would be faster really. Something to search the interwebz for I suppose to see if any studies done on it...
    - Don't get caught up in all the hype. Just lift, eat and rest! -

* Mad Hatter Crew

m314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) m314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) m314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) m314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) m314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) m314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) m314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) m314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) m314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) m314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) m314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Congrats on getting back into the gym. I never plan to stop lifting weights myself, but as you know life gets in the way sometimes.

I've had to take a few breaks for different surgeries over the last few years. For me, it does seem easier to regain muscle mass and strength after a break. I don't know the science behind it, and some people disagree that muscle memory is a real phenomenon. It seems real in my experience.

w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    - Don't get caught up in all the hype. Just lift, eat and rest! -

* Mad Hatter Crew

gunabodybuild has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gunabodybuild has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gunabodybuild has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gunabodybuild has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gunabodybuild has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gunabodybuild has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gunabodybuild has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gunabodybuild has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gunabodybuild has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gunabodybuild has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gunabodybuild has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    After a lay off i always gain the weight back really easily.

TouaregV8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TouaregV8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TouaregV8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TouaregV8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TouaregV8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TouaregV8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TouaregV8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TouaregV8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TouaregV8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TouaregV8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TouaregV8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I've been back in the gym for about a month after having a 1 year layoff. My strength always comes back quickly after a long layoff so I'm a firm believer in the "muscle memory" theory.
    -Squattin' in the curl rack.

BlackSwan88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlackSwan88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlackSwan88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlackSwan88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlackSwan88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlackSwan88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlackSwan88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlackSwan88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlackSwan88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlackSwan88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlackSwan88 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I was an avid weight lifter from age 14 to 32. Then got married, into a career, had kids..you know..life. I did do some racketball, but basically went from about 172lbs to a high of 232lbs. I fooled myself by thinking I wasn't "that fat". Last year I decided that health was my number one priority, as the Doc had a come to Jesus meeting with me on weight/diet/drinking. So I took the plunge, and reinvented myself. Initally lost 59 lbs in 4 months, mostly cardio, by month 5 got back into weight lifting. Then the magic started to happen...people stopped commenting on how much weight I lost and started making comments like "so you on droids?". So short story long, YES, I firmly believe there is muscle memory...after taking 15 years off, I've surpassed what I was before in (to me anyway) a very brief time. With that said, I have to put in one caveat, I never used to watch my diet, as my metabolims was so high, now I watch it like a hawk. So no doubt clean/lean diet added to the steep rebound. BTW, you are an inspiration to many of us. Nicely done!

Registered User OperationChisel's Avatar
    OperationChisel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OperationChisel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OperationChisel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OperationChisel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OperationChisel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OperationChisel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OperationChisel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OperationChisel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OperationChisel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OperationChisel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OperationChisel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Absolutely. In fact, I've had times during my 15 plus years of lifting where I stop or get into something else like yoga. Every time I return to lifting, the muscle comes back fast. It's awesome. I'm forever grateful I started lifting young because I can always bust out some muscle pretty fast after a break.
    www.42Workouts.com

ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I've made 6 or 8 comebacks over the last 45 years. I agree there is something to muscle memory. The last couple comebacks the memory is slipping.

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by flycaster1 View Post
    So the question is: If one has always worked out and then stops longer enough to loose a lot of the gain, does the muscle mass come back quicker for this individual than it would for one who never worked out (or only minimally) and just started to work out? It just seems to me that within a month of returning to the gym, I am improving rather rapidly.
    Anybody who hasn't worked out in a while will make fast progress initially. The difference between somebody returning and somebody who is completely new to training with weights is that the person who has lifted before has at least some knowledge of how their body responds to training and what works and what doesn't work for them, and thus I think the term "muscle memory" is a horrible term, the memory isn't in the muscle it's in your brain.
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA