FB41 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Protein Shakes/Abs and general confusion

In order to have a six pack you need to have a low body fat percentage. In order to reduce the amount of fat you have, exercise more and consume less. However in order to bulk up and also have a six pack,that is the conundrum.

Also do protien shakes not add to the calorie intake ? Taking the supplements plus reducting your calorie intake would leave you with such a small amount of food !

I do upper body workouts twice a week, legs twice a week as well as ab workout alternatively. I'm confused as to how to approach it.

BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Edit took out wrong info

Protein shakes (or ANYTHING else) count as calories. Just because it's marketed as a supplement doesn't mean it's void of calories. In fact, protein powder is just a highly processed food.
    Last edited by BeingPaid; 02-05-2013 at 06:08 AM.
    The first known contraceptive was crocodile dung, used by Egyptians in 2000 B.C.

Sarcobium is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sarcobium is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sarcobium is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sarcobium is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sarcobium is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sarcobium is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sarcobium is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sarcobium is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sarcobium is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sarcobium is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sarcobium is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by BeingPaid View Post
    It's impossible to gain muscle mass while simultaneously losing fat.
    Of course you can. It's been repeatedly shown in research.

EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    1. Build a large amount of muscle.

2. Reduce fat percent to display large muscle mass.

There may a cyclical approach to building in surplus and reducing fat in deficit, this works best for most people. The number of build, reduce cycles is dependent on the starting muscle mass, the starting fat mass, and the tolerance for extra fat of the individual, as well as diligence and intensity of workouts.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    This is absolutely not true.

FB41 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Care to explain a bit further ? Two contradicting replies..

xRedfern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xRedfern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xRedfern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xRedfern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xRedfern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xRedfern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xRedfern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xRedfern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xRedfern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xRedfern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xRedfern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I lift weights 3x per week following Bill Starr's 5x5 program, i then go swimming afterward before a steam, shower and home.

Over the past 5 weeks my stomach fat has shrunk significantly - im now infact already a waist size smaller but my muscle size has also increased quite nicely and some of my tops are already starting to feel tight on me, with diet and regular excercise, i think its certainly possible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time - gotta love the noob gains!

jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by FB41 View Post
    Well, the first reply was wrong, you can build muscle while simultaneously losing fat. However, it's my opinion that there is no use in cutting unless you have developed some muscle first.
    **PUREBLOOD FOR LIFE CREW**
    -- A e s t h e t i c s C r e w -- E x t r e m e D i p s C r e w -- M i s c C a r C r e w ---
    **2004 Acura NSX**2017 Honda Civic Type R, BADGE #357**
    **2018 BMW X5M**2020 Toyota TRD PRO**
    **Sandwiches are made in the KITCHEN......ABS are built in the GYM!**

BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by FB41 View Post
    I was wrong, you can build muscle while losing fat at the same time...

However I still believe it's better to aim for a cut or a bulk, rather than aim for a result from eating at maintenance.
    The first known contraceptive was crocodile dung, used by Egyptians in 2000 B.C.

Sarcobium is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sarcobium is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sarcobium is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sarcobium is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sarcobium is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sarcobium is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sarcobium is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sarcobium is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sarcobium is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sarcobium is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sarcobium is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I was wrong, you can build muscle while losing fat at the same time...

However I still believe it's better to aim for a cut or a bulk, rather than aim for a result from eating at maintenance.
    Yes, as the old saying goes jack of all trades master of none

has no use for a name n0useforaname's Avatar
    n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I think this really depends on how you look, etc... because I honestly NEVER did abs... ever. And about a month into my cut I started focusing on my core 3 days a week for 15-20 minutes per session. I can say for a fact that my ab muscles did grow a bit and pop more than they were. Now they weren't huge or anything, but they grew enough to make me happy. But if you are one of those people that NEVER worked out.. ever.... and want to cut, you really aren't going to have anything there to show for it... because while I didn't focus on my core for years, it still got a small workout from other exercises.
    Learning something new here every single day... and I'm still not sure if I understand : /