cobrastrike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How do I know what to eat?

Before you think I didn't put any effort into figuring it out I've already calculated my macros and searched around the internet.

Maintenance
    Protein: 174g * 4= 696 calories
    Fat: 69.6g * 9= 626.4 calories
    Carbs: 197.3g * 4= 794.2 calories
    Total: 2126.6 calories

I'm 18, weigh 174 lbs, with a body shape between a mesomorph and an endomorph.

I've decided I didn't want to be fat four days ago, and this whole eating healthy thing is confusing. I want to be able to walk into a grocery store and pick up food and know it's healthy. I don't want to be stuck eating the same thing everyday. I know I have to hit my macros, but how much saturated fat, cholesterol, sugar, and other bad stuff am I allowed to take in with the good stuff. People say to avoid the bad things on the nutrition label, but they're practically in everything. For instance is milk bad, because I looked at my jug and their is close to 10g of saturated fat. I don't want to go to a nutritionist because its expensive and I want to form a healthy diet that I can adjust depending what I feel like eating that day.

People like the guy on leanbody fitness on youtube seem to mix together food they know are healthy and have their end products coming out looking delicious.

Also, are my macros for protein too high and even if they are. How do you reach your protein intake. Protein power has only like 26g per serving in a serving per container of 24. The carbs seem like a lot too. If I can't eat properly, I won't be able to lift properly. It seems like everyone knows how to get fit but me. People in prison come out jacked for some reason with none of this knowledge. How did you guys come up with a personal nutrition plan? I can't comprehend how you know exactly what to eat. Do measure to get exactly the amount of calories you need, do you estimate, what do you do? Teach me. I am all ears. If I know what foods fit my goals, I won't feel so constricted. So people of this forum, what do you suggest?

Forgotten18 is just really nice. (+1000) Forgotten18 is just really nice. (+1000) Forgotten18 is just really nice. (+1000) Forgotten18 is just really nice. (+1000) Forgotten18 is just really nice. (+1000) Forgotten18 is just really nice. (+1000) Forgotten18 is just really nice. (+1000) Forgotten18 is just really nice. (+1000) Forgotten18 is just really nice. (+1000) Forgotten18 is just really nice. (+1000) Forgotten18 is just really nice. (+1000)
    You eat whatever you want, as long as it fits your macros. What type of food is irrelevant for body composition.

Carbs are carbs.
    Fats are fats.
    Proteins are proteins.

When it comes to how your body looks.

300Status has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 300Status has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 300Status has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 300Status has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 300Status has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 300Status has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 300Status has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 300Status has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 300Status has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 300Status has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 300Status has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Forgotten18 View Post
    You eat whatever you want, as long as it fits your macros. What type of food is irrelevant for body composition.

Carbs are carbs.
    Fats are fats.
    Proteins are proteins.

this with the exception of trans fats and processed carbs. i would stay completely away from those. other than that, just find a calorie tracker program such as myfitnesspal and just keep count of what you're consuming and make sure you hit your macro goals for each day.

protein i would prob drop from 1g/lb to .7 but either way its not a big deal.

Originally Posted by Forgotten18 View Post

Carbs are carbs.
    Fats are fats.
    Proteins are proteins.

That's solid advice, but I still don't understand saturated fats, sodium, cholesterol, and all the other stuff you should avoid. For instance, at one point do these contents make something bad for you. How much of the bad stuff can I can take in without it negatively affecting me. Can you give an estimate in grams and miligrams of what I'm allowed to eat of the bad stuff.

Originally Posted by 300Status View Post
    this with the exception of trans fats and processed carbs. i would stay completely away from those. other than that, just find a calorie tracker program such as myfitnesspal and just keep count of what you're consuming and make sure you hit your macro goals for each day.

So, can I aim for a range between 1g/lb and .7lbs? Does consistency in my macros matter?

bushburner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bushburner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bushburner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bushburner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bushburner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bushburner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bushburner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bushburner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bushburner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bushburner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bushburner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    In terms of body composition, fats are fats, carbs are carbs, and proteins are proteins. Health wise, that's another story. So as long as you hit your calories and macros you will see progress if done properly

Workout wise, lift hard and consistently. Focus on compound exercises and try to workout each body part once a week.
    Look at that!

Hairiest ass on the misc biggoron's Avatar
    biggoron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) biggoron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) biggoron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) biggoron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) biggoron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) biggoron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) biggoron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) biggoron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) biggoron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) biggoron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) biggoron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by cobrastrike View Post
    So people of this forum, what do you suggest?
    walk into supermarket.
    pick something off the shelf
    eat it
    LEO

noughttosixty is on a distinguished road. (+10) noughttosixty is on a distinguished road. (+10) noughttosixty is on a distinguished road. (+10) noughttosixty is on a distinguished road. (+10) noughttosixty is on a distinguished road. (+10) noughttosixty is on a distinguished road. (+10) noughttosixty is on a distinguished road. (+10) noughttosixty is on a distinguished road. (+10) noughttosixty is on a distinguished road. (+10) noughttosixty is on a distinguished road. (+10) noughttosixty is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    think the trick here is not to over complicate things, just eat your macros pretty much made of what you want and you will see the difference if you are lifting. Also are you cutting or bulking? Guessing your cutting so maybe you need to eat at say 250 cals less

Forgotten18 is just really nice. (+1000) Forgotten18 is just really nice. (+1000) Forgotten18 is just really nice. (+1000) Forgotten18 is just really nice. (+1000) Forgotten18 is just really nice. (+1000) Forgotten18 is just really nice. (+1000) Forgotten18 is just really nice. (+1000) Forgotten18 is just really nice. (+1000) Forgotten18 is just really nice. (+1000) Forgotten18 is just really nice. (+1000) Forgotten18 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by 300Status View Post

That's solid advice, but I still don't understand saturated fats, sodium, cholesterol, and all the other stuff you should avoid. For instance, at one point do these contents make something bad for you. How much of the bad stuff can I can take in without it negatively affecting me. Can you give an estimate in grams and miligrams of what I'm allowed to eat of the bad stuff.
    Now you're getting into health...body composition wise (for the most part -- due to water retention) the types of fat, carbs won't matter at all.

There's no need to avoid cholesterol or saturated fat at all. It's been established that dietary cholesterol does not lead to blood cholesterol levels. And the whole lipid hypothesis of the evils of saturated fat has also been shown to be complete rubbish.

I wouldn't be concerned with sodium unless you're competing, but that's not to say to eat a ton of canned foods, tv dinners, etc.

In terms of health, non-processed food would most likely be best. It's all relative to the person however. There really is no REAL answer. Different things affect people differently. Some people have egg allergies and feel tired from eating eggs, that doesn't make them unhealthy to all. Some food like pop-tarts give people energy, other people it makes them feel bloated and sluggish. Eat what you want and what makes you feel good. I wouldn't eat overly restrictive. If It Fits Your Macros, eat it.

ATD111 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ATD111 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ATD111 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ATD111 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ATD111 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ATD111 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ATD111 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ATD111 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ATD111 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ATD111 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ATD111 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ^agreed

doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by bushburner View Post
    In terms of body composition, fats are fats, carbs are carbs, and proteins are proteins. Health wise, that's another story. So as long as you hit your calories and macros you will see progress if done properly

Workout wise, lift hard and consistently. Focus on compound exercises and try to workout each body part once a week.
    ^^^^^ THIS all day every day^^^^^^^ Repped bush btw....

As others have said....

rule of thumb as to not complicate the matter.

Protein = 1 gram per pound of LEAN bodyweight so if your 200 pounds and 20% bodyfat then devide and you need 160 grams.

FATS (ANY) 0.5 gram per pound of total weight.

Anything left in your TDEE just use up as carbs / fats and proteins.

Too much protein just flows out your anus eventually anyhow. Use supplements only if needed for protein.

If it fits in your mouth eat it....

eat whole nutritious foods and avoid packaged processed and fast food junk but thats a personal preference of mine.

Get 8 hrs sleep. follow a 5x5 routine and incorporate major compounds (yup i said it AGAIN) into your workout. NO EXCUSES.

Cut 500 cals off your TDEE for a cut. add/subtract none for maintenance and add 500 to bulk.

Eat any time you like whenever and wherever you like, times make no difference tbh.

so in short.

EAT/SLEEP/TRAIN/RINSE with a cut/REPEAT.

Simples.

source.... 74 pounds lighter and in possibly the best shape of my 36 year life and getting stronger daily.
    Ride it like you just stole it.

brownscot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brownscot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brownscot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brownscot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brownscot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brownscot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brownscot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brownscot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brownscot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If your previous eating habits involved the "see it eat it" diet then it would be beneficial to start a more rigid diet and restrict yourself to healthy foods until you've rid yourself of that mindset. Food is nutrition and fuel for your body, not your "soul" or tastebuds.
    "Can't" is a word that weak, lazy and ignorant people use to justify their being so.

300Status has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 300Status has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 300Status has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 300Status has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 300Status has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 300Status has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 300Status has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 300Status has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 300Status has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 300Status has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 300Status has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    unless you have heart conditions or cholesterol conditions that are hereditary i wouldn't worry too much about this.