Thread: Best Workouts?

steve1578 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) steve1578 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Best Workouts?

Hello everyone!
    First off, I would like to introduce myself.
    Name is Steve, I just started hitting the gym pretty hard, and i've been loving every second of it.
    I'm very inspired to work hard for gains and see the difference in my quality of life.

Now, I know that everyone has different opinions on what workouts are best, how many sets, reps, etc. etc.

Basically, what I'm wondering about is a little bit more specific.
    I'll explain my current work out routine.

Monday = Chest/Shoulder/Tricep day
    Tuesday = Cardio/Ab day
    Wednesday = Leg day
    Thursday = Cardio/Ab day
    Friday = Biceps/Back day

Usually I start with about start out my workouts with 35% weight for warm up, then to 25%, then go to my working weight.
    I keep to around 4 sets of around 6-12 reps per workout. I'm still in the process of finding the perfect weight where I'm hitting failure by my last set. So I've been slowly increasing the weight on certain workouts until I hit that perfect limit so I'm burned out at the end of my workout(and if I'm not burned out I'll usually go lighter wait and bang out as many reps as I can just to burn it out).

So, my real questions are this :

1. Does my workout schedule make sense, or is it COMPLETELY counter productive? I'm still a newbie so if I'm doing something completely wrong, it'd be great to know now.

2. How many exercises should I do per day?
    For instance. On Monday, I will do Tricep kick backs, dumbell bench press, dumbbell shoulder press, rear delt flies, and also some cable workouts. I am wondering if this is too many exercises and will only end up hurting me more than helping. I'm doing about 4-6 exercises per workout, try to do mostly compound, and hit up a few isolations at the end. I know some people do only 3 workouts, all compound, others do a bunch of isolations. I'm just wondering if there's anything fundamentally wrong with what I'm doing?

I appreciate all who help me out, and I look forward to becoming an active member within this community as I continue my journey towards better health.
    Last edited by steve1578; 02-03-2013 at 05:01 PM.

steve1578 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) steve1578 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by steve1578 View Post
    Hello everyone!
    Name is Steve, I just started hitting the gym pretty hard, and i've been loving every second of it.
    I'm very inspired to work hard for gains and see the difference in my quality of life.

Now, I know that everyone has different opinions on what workouts are best, how many sets, reps, etc. etc.

Tuesday = Cardio/Ab day
    Wednesday = Leg day
    Thursday = Cardio/Ab day
    Friday = Biceps/Back day

Usually I start with about start out my workouts with 35% weight for warm up, then to 25%, then go to my working weight.
    I keep to around 4 sets of around 6-12 reps per workout. I'm still in the process of finding the perfect weight where I'm hitting failure by my last set. So I've been slowly increasing the weight on certain workouts until I hit that perfect limit so I'm burned out at the end of my workout(and if I'm not burned out I'll usually go lighter wait and bang out as many reps as I can just to burn it out).

1. Does my workout schedule make sense, or is it COMPLETELY counter productive? I'm still a newbie so if I'm doing something completely wrong, it'd be great to know now.

For instance. On Monday, I will do Tricep kick backs, dumbell bench press, dumbbell shoulder press, rear delt flies, and also some cable workouts. I am wondering if this is too many exercises and will only end up hurting me more than helping. I'm doing about 4-6 exercises per workout, try to do mostly compound, and hit up a few isolations at the end. I know some people do only 3 workouts, all compound, others do a bunch of isolations. I'm just wondering if there's anything fundamentally wrong with what I'm doing?

I appreciate all who help me out, and I look forward to becoming an active member within this community as I continue my journey towards better health.
    Anyone?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    1. Your schedule works each bodypart only once a week which is way below what is optimal for a novice. Look at the routine I link to in this post and read the other information in there too:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post847953543

2. It's a mistake to try and create your own program, there are too many pitfalls you can fall into. Get some experience using an expert designed routine first and learn about program design as you go along.

Self proclaimed parrot Determinednoob's Avatar
    Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Check the link in my sig which will agree with the post above and add to it.
    The floundering has ended.

jclem23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jclem23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jclem23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jclem23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jclem23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jclem23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jclem23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jclem23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jclem23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jclem23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jclem23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by steve1578 View Post
    Hello everyone!

Tuesday = Cardio/Ab day
    Wednesday = Leg day
    Thursday = Cardio/Ab day
    Friday = Biceps/Back day

1. Your current routine basically looks like a push/pull/legs split with cardio and abs. It's not terrible, but it's not optimal in your situation. You should get on a 3 day per week full body split. I recommend starting strength or stronglifts 5x5.
    2. Do a proven program. Do not design your own. Do starting strength or stronglifts 5x5.