Thread: Grip Work

Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000)

Grip Work

On my deadlifts, my raw grip gives out long before my back/core does. (double overhand grip)

Obviously I can use straps, gloves, or chalk, but that's just treating the symptom and not curing the problem of a weak raw grip.

What kind of exercises can I do to strengthen my raw grip?

InsanelyFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) InsanelyFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) InsanelyFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) InsanelyFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) InsanelyFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) InsanelyFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) InsanelyFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) InsanelyFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) InsanelyFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) InsanelyFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) InsanelyFit will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hang off a pull up bar for as long as you can.

Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by InsanelyFit View Post
    Hang off a pull up bar for as long as you can.
    How many sets?

mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Lastman13 View Post
    How many sets?
    Hang from a pullup bar with 1 hand, when your grip is about to give reach up and switch hands, don't touch the ground. When the second hand is about to give, switch back to the first. Keep going until you fall off the bar.

Do 2 sets of these, with 30 minutes between sets on days that grip isn't vitally important (push or leg days).

Do towel chinups.

Farmer's walks.

Get some captains of crush grippers and train.
    Look under your chair. YOU GET A REP, AND YOU GET A REP, REPS FOR EVERYONE! If I get a rep, you get a rep, every time. Give me a link to make my life a little easier.

If you don't give me a link and you didn't post in the thread you rep'd me in, I'm not gonna go searching for you. I'll get everyone on recharge.

fnares will become famous soon enough. (+50) fnares will become famous soon enough. (+50) fnares will become famous soon enough. (+50) fnares will become famous soon enough. (+50) fnares will become famous soon enough. (+50) fnares will become famous soon enough. (+50) fnares will become famous soon enough. (+50) fnares will become famous soon enough. (+50) fnares will become famous soon enough. (+50) fnares will become famous soon enough. (+50) fnares will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    On my deadlifts, my raw grip gives out long before my back/core does. (double overhand grip)

Obviously I can use straps, gloves, or chalk, but that's just treating the symptom and not curing the problem of a weak raw grip.

Towel pullups are supposed to be amazing for grip strength.
    In addition to being an amazing body builder (LOL), I'm also a rapper.
    Check out my group's youtube page:

www.youtube.com/wenthemooneclypse

And my solo youtube page

www.youtube.com/frankielyrical

matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Gloves don´t help, they only make gripping the bar harder. As mentioned before you can hang from a pull up bar. You can also hang on to the bar on the last rep of your set for as long as you can.
    Strength + Speed = Power

If you never fail, you aren't truly pushing yourself to the limit. If you never push yourself to the limit, how do you know what you're truly capable of?

OptimumBody will become famous soon enough. (+50) OptimumBody will become famous soon enough. (+50) OptimumBody will become famous soon enough. (+50) OptimumBody will become famous soon enough. (+50) OptimumBody will become famous soon enough. (+50) OptimumBody will become famous soon enough. (+50) OptimumBody will become famous soon enough. (+50) OptimumBody will become famous soon enough. (+50) OptimumBody will become famous soon enough. (+50) OptimumBody will become famous soon enough. (+50) OptimumBody will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Gloves won't improve your grip. Depending on glove brands and types, some make the grip worst. Soft and thin gloves are on the more neutral side. Do some Farmer's carry. Knead some dough at home with your hand and fingers. Try holding heavy dumbbells in a static standing position for some amount of time.
    Allow your forearms to rest. If you train your grip, the next day your grip will definitely be less strong. Rest is required. When I knead dough, my grip weakens afterwards during recovery, then becomes stronger than it was before the dough kneading in the next few days. Same thing happens when doing exercises involving a lot of grip/squeezing.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You could just use gear after your wrists give out.

Or you could lower the intensity for the time being, while your grip gets an effective workout.

SquattsAndOats is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquattsAndOats is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquattsAndOats is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquattsAndOats is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquattsAndOats is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquattsAndOats is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquattsAndOats is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquattsAndOats is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquattsAndOats is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquattsAndOats is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquattsAndOats is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Look up Captains Of Crush. They are the No1 Grippers in the world. Captains Of Crush are the global measurement of grip strength.

Guide 60 lb. 27 kg.
    Sport 80 lb. 36.3 kg.
    Trainer 100 lb. 45.4 kg.
    No 0.5 120 lb. 54.5 kg.
    No. 1 140 lb. 63.5 kg.
    No 1.5 167.5 lb. 75.7 kg.
    No. 2 195 lb. 88.5 kg.
    No. 2.5 237.5 lb. 107.7 kg.
    No. 3 280 lb. 127 kg.
    No. 3.5 322.5 lb. 146 kg.
    No. 4 365 lb. 165.5 kg.

Work your way up. These are VERY good for improving grip strength.

They say if you can close number 2 .... you can squeeze a full can of drink so it BURSTS!

mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by SquattsAndOats View Post
    Look up Captains Of Crush. They are the No1 Grippers in the world. Captains Of Crush are the global measurement of grip strength.

Guide 60 lb. 27 kg.
    Sport 80 lb. 36.3 kg.
    Trainer 100 lb. 45.4 kg.
    No 0.5 120 lb. 54.5 kg.
    No. 1 140 lb. 63.5 kg.
    No 1.5 167.5 lb. 75.7 kg.
    No. 2 195 lb. 88.5 kg.
    No. 2.5 237.5 lb. 107.7 kg.
    No. 3 280 lb. 127 kg.
    No. 3.5 322.5 lb. 146 kg.
    No. 4 365 lb. 165.5 kg.

Work your way up. These are VERY good for improving grip strength.

They say if you can close number 2 .... you can squeeze a full can of drink so it BURSTS!
    I had a 1 and 1.5 on my desk at work. A guy comes up, grabs them and squeezes. Then he says, "**** my left hand is weak!" I informed him that they were different resistances.
    Look under your chair. YOU GET A REP, AND YOU GET A REP, REPS FOR EVERYONE! If I get a rep, you get a rep, every time. Give me a link to make my life a little easier.

If you don't give me a link and you didn't post in the thread you rep'd me in, I'm not gonna go searching for you. I'll get everyone on recharge.

athomas88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) athomas88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) athomas88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) athomas88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) athomas88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) athomas88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) athomas88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) athomas88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) athomas88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) athomas88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) athomas88 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    farmer walks are my favorite! also, loop 2 towels over the pull-up bar, pull your body up (arms bent in front of your chest) and hold on. you can try pinching 2 plates together for finger strength.

and the CoC hand grips work amazingly well
    -Speed Kills, Strength Punishes-

Go hard for those that can go no more.- G Diesel

The future will soon be a thing of the past- George Carlin

I'm not into working out. My philosophy is no pain, no pain.- George Carlin

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.- Arnold

Working to weigh under 200 lbs.

John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Exclamation

Originally Posted by SquattsAndOats View Post
    About two or three years after I certed on the #3, I was able to burst an unopened soda can with both hands using a "stranglehold" technique. Hard as hell to do, but possible.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Originally Posted by John Hicks View Post
    About two or three years after I certed on the #3, I was able to burst an unopened soda can with both hands using a "stranglehold" technique. Hard as hell to do, but possible.
    My goal is to one day be able to squeeze a fresh apple and make it explode. I figure if I can do that I can crush someone's neck pretty easily.

athomas88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) athomas88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) athomas88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) athomas88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) athomas88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) athomas88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) athomas88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) athomas88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) athomas88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) athomas88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) athomas88 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by mobikwa View Post
    My goal is to one day be able to squeeze a fresh apple and make it explode. I figure if I can do that I can crush someone's neck pretty easily.
    but why would you wanna do that?! 0_0 lol
    -Speed Kills, Strength Punishes-

Go hard for those that can go no more.- G Diesel

The future will soon be a thing of the past- George Carlin

I'm not into working out. My philosophy is no pain, no pain.- George Carlin

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.- Arnold

Working to weigh under 200 lbs.

benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Squeeze a tennis ball, hang off pull-up bars or do farmer walks.
    Always learning.

(For 5 reps)
    Squat - 110kg
    Deadlift- 115kg
    Bench Press - 65kg
    Overhead Press - 47.5kg

Doing Starting Strength by JasonDB/IceCreamFitness, check out my log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=148385953

Check out my youtube page too: youtube.com/thebofitness

klaery is just really nice. (+1000) klaery is just really nice. (+1000) klaery is just really nice. (+1000) klaery is just really nice. (+1000) klaery is just really nice. (+1000) klaery is just really nice. (+1000) klaery is just really nice. (+1000) klaery is just really nice. (+1000) klaery is just really nice. (+1000) klaery is just really nice. (+1000) klaery is just really nice. (+1000)
    Something you can do is hold your last dead. Here is a dead I did today where I did just this.

Also double overhand normal grip (not hook) is only going to get you so far. It basically facilitates the bar rolling out of your hand. Use mixed/hook grip and use chalk.
    Raw Lifts (IPF) = Squat-440 Bench-264(paused) Dead-551
    Raw Lifts (Gym)= Squat-440 Bench-270(paused) Dead-573
    Training: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=138990333&highlight=klaery

houtexans23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) houtexans23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) houtexans23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) houtexans23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) houtexans23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) houtexans23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) houtexans23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) houtexans23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) houtexans23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) houtexans23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) houtexans23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    im just curious, would these exercises for grip strength also be effective or have a correlation to developing the forearm? Mine are weak, and these could be helpful to the solution.

klaery is just really nice. (+1000) klaery is just really nice. (+1000) klaery is just really nice. (+1000) klaery is just really nice. (+1000) klaery is just really nice. (+1000) klaery is just really nice. (+1000) klaery is just really nice. (+1000) klaery is just really nice. (+1000) klaery is just really nice. (+1000) klaery is just really nice. (+1000) klaery is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by houtexans23 View Post
    im just curious, would these exercises for grip strength also be effective or have a correlation to developing the forearm? Mine are weak, and these could be helpful to the solution.
    yes.
    Raw Lifts (IPF) = Squat-440 Bench-264(paused) Dead-551
    Raw Lifts (Gym)= Squat-440 Bench-270(paused) Dead-573
    Training: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=138990333&highlight=klaery

John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Exclamation

Originally Posted by mobikwa View Post
    My goal is to one day be able to squeeze a fresh apple and make it explode.
    I've done that too, depends on what type of apple you are trying to crush, it's either easy or damn hard. Granny Smith apples are tough because of their low-moisture content, I kinda like the California golden apples, they are pretty nice to crush!

I figure if I can do that I can crush someone's neck pretty easily.
    You probabaly mean someone's throat, if they have a strong neck it'll be difficult and you'll haffta use both hands to do that.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.