xSteven will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSteven will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSteven will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSteven will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSteven will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSteven will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSteven will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSteven will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSteven will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSteven will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSteven will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Dunking question.

Hello. I'm currently a freshman and I am 5'9-5'10 and can dunk a vollyball off an alley-oop.
    I really want to learn how to dunk without an oop and I just seem to get rim stuffed, or i get up and the ball flys over the rim and I just end up hanging on the rim.

For people who can dunk, what are some techniques you use to get just as high as you do without an oop. It seems like I lose some inches with a ball in my hand.

I'd also like for a few more tips dunking related.

Thank you~
    BSU2020/Pre-Physician Assistant

xSteven will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSteven will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSteven will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSteven will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSteven will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSteven will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSteven will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSteven will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSteven will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSteven will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSteven will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    No one?

doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100)
    I've noticed a nice jump increase from working on my ankle mobility. Not sure if it directly is correlation with an increase in RFD, or just less pain from my ankles allowing me to jump better, but it might be something worth looking into. I do dynamic stretching with a resistance band.

NJLife is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NJLife is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NJLife is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NJLife is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NJLife is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NJLife is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NJLife is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NJLife is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NJLife is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NJLife is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NJLife is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    practice with a medicine ball. also when your up there get the ball into your fingers, weird explanation i guess but its kind of a mini oop to urself and u catch it up into your fingers and u bring it down into the circle.

haha sorry :P
    Shut up and Squat!

Living with ALS or dying because of it. ama

Trey19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Trey19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    When I just started dunking I would focus on just getting the basketball to flush through the hoop instead of trying to slam it down, once I could get it down I tried adding some power to my dunks to make them look better.

emart24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Do you jump off of one leg or two legs? Can you palm the ball?

dunking has just as much technique as it has raw power:

1. on either 1 foot/2 foot jump... focus on gaining a quick 1-2 step approach to get your speed up. Your horizontal momentum will carry you in the direction of the basket so you can focus on launching your body straight up in the air for maximum height. (watch blake griffin's approach, he's got crazy acceleration)

2. I can palm the ball fairly easy, so I would focus hard on gripping the ball with my arm fully extended over my head, if you can't palm the ball you'll have to find the point where you can place your hand that allows the ball to use your body's momentum to sort of "glue" itself to your hand.

3. If you jump one-legged, throw your right knee up as fast and hard as you can as you're jumping off your left leg (assuming you're right handed... reverse legs if your left handed)

4. Don't try to "LeBron" dunk the ball at first, just focus on extending your arm fully and snapping your wrist down through the rim- once you get get at this, you can put some power into it.

Originally Posted by emart24 View Post
    Do you jump off of one leg or two legs? Can you palm the ball?

dunking has just as much technique as it has raw power:

1. on either 1 foot/2 foot jump... focus on gaining a quick 1-2 step approach to get your speed up. Your horizontal momentum will carry you in the direction of the basket so you can focus on launching your body straight up in the air for maximum height. (watch blake griffin's approach, he's got crazy acceleration)

2. I can palm the ball fairly easy, so I would focus hard on gripping the ball with my arm fully extended over my head, if you can't palm the ball you'll have to find the point where you can place your hand that allows the ball to use your body's momentum to sort of "glue" itself to your hand.

3. If you jump one-legged, throw your right knee up as fast and hard as you can as you're jumping off your left leg (assuming you're right handed... reverse legs if your left handed)

4. Don't try to "LeBron" dunk the ball at first, just focus on extending your arm fully and snapping your wrist down through the rim- once you get get at this, you can put some power into it.
    I'll try this when I'm 100% again or off season. I just hurt my ankle today might be out for the rest of the season. I can barely walk, but yeah I can't palm a basketball and i jump higher when I'm focused on just grabbing the rim. I know it's weird but when I just started attempting dunk I would focus so much on just getting up their I would totally miss a perfect lob and they're like "Oh my goshh!" lol

And I've noticed myself lebroning it lol. I would jump to far out and kind of bring it to the side of my head like 2-3 inches instead of just putting the ball straight up and not even slamming it.

I'll try all this in the off-season or when I'm all better.

Thanks~

changdamang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by xSteven View Post
    Hello. I'm currently a freshman and I am 5'9-5'10 and can dunk a vollyball off an alley-oop.
    I really want to learn how to dunk without an oop and I just seem to get rim stuffed, or i get up and the ball flys over the rim and I just end up hanging on the rim.

For people who can dunk, what are some techniques you use to get just as high as you do without an oop. It seems like I lose some inches with a ball in my hand.

I'd also like for a few more tips dunking related.

Thank you~
    I wish I could do that...